Sixers go all in (Fultz not included)

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,186

Re: Sixers go all in (Fultz not included) 

Post#21 » by Dat2U » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:36 pm

tiderulz wrote:
dorkestra wrote:As for the trade itself, Otto has a trade kicker so he would be paid 30 million a year. To me that's not the right financial decision making him net negative on that deal. At which point the notion of adding valuable 1st round picks further cements this as a no from Philly

With all that said, Porter would fit in perfectly on the court

Porter's trade kicker would be paid by Washington. so not sure how that would affect perception

No, its voided because he's already making the max salary. Your referring to Wall's contract where if he's traded before July 1st the Wizards have to pay out a trade kicker because he's still under his old deal.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#22 » by LloydFree » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:38 pm

Otto Porter's contract makes him a negative asset to any team that has limited depth or other max players. The only place that make sense to trade Porter for actual assets is Sacramento. No other real salary and a need at SF. Otto Porter doesn't do enough for the 76ers to have them Cap themselves out with him
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,072

Post#23 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:38 pm

Dat2U wrote:
SuperDario wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
What depth are you talking about? Smith & Bolden aren't even playing!

Its Muscala, Chandler & Korkmaz for Porter & Sato. Seems like a MASSIVE upgrade to me.

You realize that Zhaire isn't playing because of injury, right?

You realize the post was referring to Philly's CURRENT depth???

Why would we limit our analysis to "current" depth? It's not like the FO would ignore the future when making a trade of this magnitude.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#24 » by Dat2U » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:40 pm

pelifan wrote:I would call this trade unreasonable.

So a pick 3 years from now, Smith and what's likely 2 2nds is unreasonable return for 2 quality starters???

I'm literally at loss to what this board views as a fair trade.

Philly fans can assume Fultz is still worth multiole assets yet anyone that's not under a rookie deal and isn't a top 10 player is worth no more than a salary dump???
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#25 » by Dat2U » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:42 pm

SuperDario wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
SuperDario wrote:
You realize that Zhaire isn't playing because of injury, right?

Why would we limit our analysis to "current" depth? It's not like the FO would ignore the future when making a trade of this magnitude.

Why are you trying to make a point to me about something you obviously didnt read??? I was challenged on how this trade would IMMEDIATELY hurt 76ers depth and simply responded that Smith & Bolden aren't currently in the rotation.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,178

Post#26 » by tiderulz » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:42 pm

Dat2U wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
dorkestra wrote:As for the trade itself, Otto has a trade kicker so he would be paid 30 million a year. To me that's not the right financial decision making him net negative on that deal. At which point the notion of adding valuable 1st round picks further cements this as a no from Philly

With all that said, Porter would fit in perfectly on the court

Porter's trade kicker would be paid by Washington. so not sure how that would affect perception

No, its voided because he's already making the max salary. Your referring to Wall's contract where if he's traded before July 1st the Wizards have to pay out a trade kicker because he's still under his old deal.

only under the current cap, but if it rises he could make more.
It is very difficult to predict what exactly the future amounts could be without the final cap numbers, but based on 2018-2019’s salary cap projection of $102 million, the most Otto could make on a max contract in 2018-2019 would be $26,775,000. His actual salary that year would be $26,011,913, so the most he could make from the trade bonus (and the most the Wizards would have to pay) in that season is $763,088. The rest of his trade bonus would be paid out in 2019-20, which would be approximately $5.1 million, due to max contract constraints. Porter wouldn’t be eligible to receive a trade bonus for the fourth year of his deal unless he opts in before he’s traded.

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2017/7/11/15947446/otto-porter-trade-kicker-washington-wizards-nba-free-agency
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:46 pm

Dat2U wrote:
SuperDario wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

Why are you trying to make a point to me about something you obviously didnt read??? I was challenged on how this trade would IMMEDIATELY hurt 76ers depth and simply responded that Smith & Bolden aren't currently in the rotation.

The word "immediately" was never uttered. In fact, BullyKing specifically mentioned how the trade would limit our ability to build depth going forward. You might want to reread your posts before calling out someone else.

Dat2U
RealGM

Post#28 » by Dat2U » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:48 pm

LloydFree wrote:Otto Porter's contract makes him a negative asset to any team that has limited depth or other max players. The only place that make sense to trade Porter for actual assets is Sacramento. No other real salary and a need at SF. Otto Porter doesn't do enough for the 76ers to have them Cap themselves out with him

Nonsense. This deal is for two players not one. Otto is a productive starting F. His best position is PF and he's a very good one. The on/off numbers and RPM have consistently put him near the top of Fs in the league. He's signed for 2 more years. He's the absolute perfect fit for a contender that already has its stars in place. Sato is also a starting quality wing in the league and it's no surprise the Wizards starting winning once he was inserted into the lineup.

You dont get two quality starters for nothing..
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#29 » by dorkestra » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:48 pm

Just because we don't like the trade, doesnt mean we don't like you. :wink:
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#30 » by Dat2U » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:49 pm

SuperDario wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
SuperDario wrote:

The word "immediately" was never uttered. In fact, BullyKing specifically mentioned how the trade would limit our ability to build depth going forward. You might want to reread your posts before calling out someone else.

My God dude. My point stands. I was referring to immediate depth. Make a real point or move on.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:59 pm

Dat2U wrote:
SuperDario wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

My God dude. My point stands. I was referring to immediate depth. Make a real point or move on.

you: Zhaire and Bolden don't even play
me: Zhaire is injured
you: we're talking about "immedate" depth (words you never actually used)
me: our FO wouldn't limit their analysis to "immediate" depth
you: did you read the post? I was challenged on the Sixers' immediate depth
me: no you weren't. that never happened.
you: my point stands

Who's the one without a real point? Probably the guy ignoring facts and constantly changing the goal posts

Dat2U
RealGM

Post#32 » by Dat2U » Sat Dec 8, 2018 11:04 pm

SuperDario wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
SuperDario wrote:

Who's the one without a real point? Probably the guy ignoring facts and constantly changing the goal posts

Ok Mr. SmartGuy. Chandler, Korkmaz & Muscala are FAs. I dont think you guys were planning on keeping any of them so you would have to replace all 3.

Smith & Bolden would be the guys signed through next season. Smith is probably the only guy that could have legimitately been considered a rotation player. I only included Bolden to make the salaries work as Patton cannot be traded with other players until Jan 11th.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#33 » by LloydFree » Sat Dec 8, 2018 11:33 pm

Dat2U wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Otto Porter's contract makes him a negative asset to any team that has limited depth or other max players. The only place that make sense to trade Porter for actual assets is Sacramento. No other real salary and a need at SF. Otto Porter doesn't do enough for the 76ers to have them Cap themselves out with him

Nonsense. This deal is for two players not one. Otto is a productive starting F. His best position is PF and he's a very good one. The on/off numbers and RPM have consistently put him near the top of Fs in the league. He's signed for 2 more years. He's the absolute perfect fit for a contender that already has its stars in place. Sato is also a starting quality wing in the league and it's no surprise the Wizards starting winning once he was inserted into the lineup.

Why so angry? I'm just giving my opinion on whether I'd trade for him. In the 76ers position, they shouldn't trade anything for him. He doesn't move the needle for them, and he makes 30 million. He not worth anything to the 76ers.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#34 » by Dat2U » Sat Dec 8, 2018 11:44 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

Why so angry? I'm just giving my opinion on whether I'd trade for him. In the 76ers position, they shouldn't trade anything for him. He doesn't move the needle for them, and he makes 30 million. He not worth anything to the 76ers.

My bad I apologize for coming off mad. But how can you say he doesn't move the needle? Philly doesn't need another star, it already has 3 of them. They need role players. They get a deluxe role player in Otto who immediately becomes the best 4th option in the league. Philly needs guys that can hit 3s and do the little things. Both Porter & Sato fit this to a tee. IMO this puts Philly right there with Toronto and gives them the tools to push Golden State.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#35 » by LloydFree » Sat Dec 8, 2018 11:59 pm

Dat2U wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

My bad I apologize for coming off mad. But how can you say he doesn't move the needle? Philly doesn't need another star, it already has 3 of them. They need role players. They get a deluxe role player in Otto who immediately becomes the best 4th option in the league. Philly needs guys that can hit 3s and do the little things. Both Porter & Sato fit this to a tee. IMO this puts Philly right there with Toronto and gives them the tools to push Golden State.

You are right. The 76ers do need role players. But they cannot afford 30 million dollar role players, no matter how good they are. The 76ers will be paying Embiid, Butler and Simmons close to 30 million each next year. They have to economize at the role player spots, going forward. The perfect player for them would unfortunately be Robert Covington, who only makes 12 million, but they had to give him up to get Butler.

The other issue is that PF really isn't the 76ers most pressing need at the present time. The 76ers need someone who can guard Pgs and playmaking SGs on the perimeter (while also stretching the floor). Otto Porter doesn't help them with that. Porter defends the same positions that Simmons and Butler defends. That's why it's not worth the expense to the 76ers, in my opinion. Porter is good, but he doesn't fill a need for the 76ers. That's what role players do. They fill needs.
bigmean
Assistant Coach
And1: 133

Post#36 » by bigmean » Sun Dec 9, 2018 1:17 am

For that package I prefer draymond green and filler

Gs gets Landry shamet, zhaire smith, cody zeller al Aminu, gary trent jr

Charlotte gets wilson chandler, mike muscala and four second rounders from the sixers rights to pasecnkis and cash 5 million 2021 first round sixers

Portland gets Shaun Livingston, jordan bell and 2019 first rounder philly

Philly gets draymond green. Devonte Graham, Alonzo mckinnie and pat McCaw sign and trade

I fully expected Charlotte to make a run at beal love, and maybe as a dark horse steven adams
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,152

Post#37 » by marcush » Sun Dec 9, 2018 5:32 am

I like Porter the player and the fit with our key players. It’s just that contract is brutal.

I wouldn’t even trade straight expirings for Porter. I think we can get better value for money in FA and we get to keep Smith and our draft assets.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,520

Post#38 » by Patsfan1081 » Sun Dec 9, 2018 2:17 pm

I don't think the value is bad. Porter might have been the best 3&D wing in the league last year, his play has tailed off a little this year but he's still a very good player that gives Philly exactly what they lacked in last year's post season in perimeter shooting and defense. Satoransky is a decent vet ball handler that could carve out some minutes also. The chances that Kings pick transfers are extremely low, I'm not sure it even needs to be included.
Patsfan1081
RealGM

Post#39 » by Patsfan1081 » Sun Dec 9, 2018 2:21 pm

bigmean wrote:For that package I prefer draymond green and filler

Gs gets Landry shamet, zhaire smith, cody zeller al Aminu, gary trent jr

Charlotte gets wilson chandler, mike muscala and four second rounders from the sixers rights to pasecnkis and cash 5 million 2021 first round sixers

Portland gets Shaun Livingston, jordan bell and 2019 first rounder philly

Philly gets draymond green. Devonte Graham, Alonzo mckinnie and pat McCaw sign and trade

I fully expected Charlotte to make a run at beal love, and maybe as a dark horse steven adams

That package def doesn't get Green. Smith is prob the best asset there and at the moment we still have no clue how his game will transfwe.
Patsfan1081
RealGM

Post#40 » by Patsfan1081 » Sun Dec 9, 2018 2:30 pm

SuperDario wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
SuperDario wrote:

Even if we're talking longterm I just don't see how it hurts them. Bolden hasn't shown anything to indicate he can even be a rotational piece, and the Kings pick won't transfer and end up being late seconds. So we're talking about a unknown Smith and a pick down the line. Porter is still young and Satoransky is still a decent depth peice, not seeing a huge difference. The Sixers best option in free agency will prob be resigning Butler, which they could do either way. After that the second best option would prob be overpaying Middleton. I would take Porter on a shorter contract over Middleton at this point.

Return to Trades and Transactions