[Shams[ Official: Doumbouya and 2nd to Houston

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,126

[Shams[ Official: Doumbouya and 2nd to Houston 

Post#21 » by KuruptedCav » Wed Oct 6, 2021 2:27 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
JimmyPlopper wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
I can explain this one. :D If someone will take the other one.

If the Nets were going to waive Sekou, this allows them to do it while saving money (Sumner has less guaranteed) without having to relinquish a pick (2nd in and 2nd out). That's what I would think from Brooklyn perspective.

Whats the big deal about saving 2nd rounders? They can be cheap contributors on expensive teams like Brooklyn. And they traded away four 2nds to offload DeAndre Jordan on the Pistons

I think you have this backwards. I think what we are questioning is why they preferred that Indy 2nd to an addition 8 figures in savings. We don't care about the 2nd, we care about effectively spending that much money to keep one.

Nvm. I don’t get it.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,247

Re: [Shams[ Official: Doumbouya and 2nd to Houston 

Post#22 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Oct 6, 2021 2:27 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:I think it was reported already Brooklyn is waiving Sumner though, no?

Well then I don’t get it. I liked the flier assuming he came back soon enough

He JUST ruptured his achilles RIGHT before camp. Even on the new accelerated timeline of recoveries lately, he's not playing this season.

And otherwise, if Brooklyn was planning on waiving Sekou to get to the 15 limit, they still waived the roster spot, and saved a bunch of money with this little bit of arbitrage. Sure, they could have saved a lot more money by not doing the Sumner part to maintain their 2nds, but, at the least....why not?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,758

Post#23 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Oct 6, 2021 2:28 am

KuruptedCav wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
JimmyPlopper wrote:
If the Nets were going to waive Sekou, this allows them to do it while saving money (Sumner has less guaranteed) without having to relinquish a pick (2nd in and 2nd out). That's what I would think from Brooklyn perspective.

Whats the big deal about saving 2nd rounders? They can be cheap contributors on expensive teams like Brooklyn. And they traded away four 2nds to offload DeAndre Jordan on the Pistons

I think you have this backwards. I think what we are questioning is why they preferred that Indy 2nd to an addition 8 figures in savings. We don't care about the 2nd, we care about effectively spending that much money to keep one.

You answered you own question. The Nets will save money if it doesn’t harm them on the court and will spend money if it helps them.

While Sekou has more raw talent, Sumner can play a positive role in a winning basketball team this year.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

How does a guy out all season help them on the court this year?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,247

Post#24 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Oct 6, 2021 2:29 am

KuruptedCav wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
JimmyPlopper wrote:

You answered you own question. The Nets will save money if it doesn’t harm them on the court and will spend money if it helps them.

While Sekou has more raw talent, Sumner can play a positive role in a winning basketball team this year.

Not this year. He ruptured his achilles not even a month ago, and underwent surgery for it on Sep 14. He's not playing NBA minutes this season.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#25 » by KuruptedCav » Wed Oct 6, 2021 2:32 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

How does a guy out all season help them on the court this year?

He doesn’t. It was just a salary dump back to get the pick, so they save less money and give up a smaller asset to do it.

K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,976

Post#26 » by K_chile22 » Wed Oct 6, 2021 2:41 am

Yeah idk why BKN wanted the second instead of all the extra savings. Odd. Like it well enough for Houston. More happy to have been proven right about his value tho lol
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 9,052

Post#27 » by meekrab » Wed Oct 6, 2021 3:17 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the typical cash price for a 2nd round pick more like 2 or 3 million? Brooklyn doin some weird stuff.
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#28 » by K_chile22 » Wed Oct 6, 2021 3:39 am

meekrab wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the typical cash price for a 2nd round pick more like 2 or 3 million? Brooklyn doin some weird stuff.
Don't think we've seen a straight cash for 2nd deal in two years now so who knows
Apz
Head Coach
And1: 2,102

Post#29 » by Apz » Wed Oct 6, 2021 6:33 am

Im not following this trade, but if he ruptured his achilles, maybe some obscure rule in the injury compensation rules?
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#30 » by Resistance » Wed Oct 6, 2021 8:56 am

Apz wrote:Im not following this trade, but if he ruptured his achilles, maybe some obscure rule in the injury compensation rules?

Only the team that he was with at the time of the injury can get any special allowances from the league.

25. What are salary cap exceptions?

DISABLED PLAYER EXCEPTION -- This exception allows a team which is over the cap to replace a disabled player who will be out for the remainder of that season (it can also be granted in the event of a player's death). This exception is granted by the league, based on an application from the team and a determination by an NBA-designated physician or Fitness to Play panel (see question number 62) that the player is substantially more likely than not to be unable to play through the following June 15.

If this exception is granted, the team can acquire one player via free agent signing, trade or waiver claim, to replace the disabled player:

The team may sign a free agent for one season only, for 50% of the disabled player's salary or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, whichever is less.
The team may trade for a player in the last season of his contract only (including any option years)2, who is making no more than 50% plus $100,000 of the disabled player's salary, or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception plus $100,000, whichever is less.
The team may claim a player on waivers who is in the last season of his contract only (including any option years), who is making no more than 50% of the disabled player's salary, or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, whichever is less.
Teams can apply for this exception from July 1 through January 15, and cannot apply after January 15. Once granted, the exception expires when a player is acquired, when the disabled player is traded or returns to the team, or on March 10 of that season, whichever comes first. This exception is granted on a season-by-season basis -- if the player also will be out the following season, the team needs to apply for this exception again the following season.

The disabled player must be on the team's roster from the time the team submits its application through the date on which the exception is granted. This exception only can be granted to the team for which the player was playing when his injury or illness was known, or reasonably should have become known. A team cannot trade for an injured player and subsequently apply for a Disabled Player exception for that player.

Since it is well known that he has had a serious injury, there isn't going to be a chance to try and trick/fool the league on this.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,146

Post#31 » by Snakebites » Wed Oct 6, 2021 9:33 am

Honestly, Sekou makes me sad.

There was a time when we had a lot of hope for that guy- he looked like me might become a decent player.

Never showed anything but flashes and the writing was on the wall that it just wasn't going to happen by the time we really got into the thick of it this past season.

People talk a lot about bad trades and bad signings the Pistons have made over the last decade or so, but I will FOREVER maintain that our abysmal draft record is the number one factor that kept us from relevancy since the late 00s. The draft is how bad teams add value to their roster, and we categorically failed at that. I'm hoping Sekou is the end of that sad legacy. We've got Cade, Bey, and Stewart now, and I'm still hoping (praying) Hayes makes something of it.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 28,252

Post#32 » by Domejandro » Wed Oct 6, 2021 11:24 am

To answer the questions on the first page, Brooklyn saw an opportunity to effectively save a huge chunk of salary (in taxes) without losing draft capital. If they wanted to save even more salary, they would have just traded Sekou Doumbouya and the second round draft pick and called it there, but doing both deals allowed them to save money at (functionally) zero cost.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,678

Post#33 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Oct 6, 2021 11:41 am

K_chile22 wrote:
meekrab wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the typical cash price for a 2nd round pick more like 2 or 3 million? Brooklyn doin some weird stuff.
Don't think we've seen a straight cash for 2nd deal in two years now so who knows

Bassey was straight bought this past year for 2m.
But that is a pick in the early 50’s; and the Nets no longer have cash to send.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,744

Post#34 » by gambitx777 » Wed Oct 6, 2021 1:57 pm

Busted faster than Jan vesley lol. Ouch. Maybe Lakers , bucks , heat or another team in desperate need of young talent can pick him up .

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,138

Post#35 » by daoneandonly » Wed Oct 6, 2021 2:14 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:And just so everyone is clear on his potential, Houston who will be terrible is waiving him and this was simply an asset play for them.

This isn't a roster spot issue for the Nets. This is he sucks and was negative value.

I'd trade Trey Burke for him though, which maybe says more about Burke
JNewton
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#36 » by JNewton » Wed Oct 6, 2021 2:18 pm

Snakebites wrote:Honestly, Sekou makes me sad.

There was a time when we had a lot of hope for that guy- he looked like me might become a decent player.

Never showed anything but flashes and the writing was on the wall that it just wasn't going to happen by the time we really got into the thick of it this past season.

People talk a lot about bad trades and bad signings the Pistons have made over the last decade or so, but I will FOREVER maintain that our abysmal draft record is the number one factor that kept us from relevancy since the late 00s. The draft is how bad teams add value to their roster, and we categorically failed at that. I'm hoping Sekou is the end of that sad legacy. We've got Cade, Bey, and Stewart now, and I'm still hoping (praying) Hayes makes something of it.

When the Pistons finally committed to rebuilding in January 2020 and put Sekou in the starting lineup, he had a few weeks stretch where he really looked like he might be something. Kinda sad that was pretty much the most promise the Pistons had out of a draft pick for perhaps a decade. I don't know how the Troy Weaver era will turn out, but Isiah Stewart and Saddiq Bey have already proven to be better picks than pretty much anyone the Pistons selected during the entirety of the 2010s, to say nothing of Cade.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#37 » by Resistance » Wed Oct 6, 2021 2:51 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:And just so everyone is clear on his potential, Houston who will be terrible is waiving him and this was simply an asset play for them.

This isn't a roster spot issue for the Nets. This is he sucks and was negative value.

I'd trade Trey Burke for him though, which maybe says more about Burke

Houston has Gordon, so they don't need Burke.

So

Doumbouya for Burke is unlikely

Doumbouya for Burke + incentive could be possible
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#38 » by K_chile22 » Wed Oct 6, 2021 2:53 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:

Ah, thanks for the correction
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 9,052

Post#39 » by meekrab » Wed Oct 6, 2021 2:59 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:

The picks involved were in 24 and 25, this season's trade cash budget is more or less irrelevant, but maybe guaranteeing the pick will be there is worth paying 3x as much. :dontknow:
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#40 » by K_chile22 » Wed Oct 6, 2021 3:05 pm

meekrab wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:Don't think we've seen a straight cash for 2nd deal in two years now so who knows

The picks involved were in 24 and 25, this season's trade cash budget is more or less irrelevant, but maybe guaranteeing the pick will be there is worth paying 3x as much. :dontknow:

probably about maintaining a liquid asset

Return to Trades and Transactions