OKC-DET

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, Texas Chuck, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, BullyKing, MoneyTalks41890, Trader_Joe

guldakot
Rookie
And1: 615

Re: OKC-DET 

Post#21 » by guldakot » Wed May 22, 2024 1:59 pm

Its always an amazing start to a trade thread when someone tell you how terrible the player they are trying to trade for is to justify an unbalanced trade.

Ausar would go top 5 in this current draft without question. Cason Wallace would go around where he was drafted a year ago.

Trade just isn't salvagable imo.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,408

Post#22 » by Dadouv47 » Wed May 22, 2024 2:11 pm

Value is bad for Detroit but makes no sense for either team anyway. We need Cason's shooting and Ausar would be a terrible fit.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,601

Post#23 » by ThunderBolt » Wed May 22, 2024 3:50 pm

Even if value was agreed on, OKC can't trade Giddey for a worse shooter.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
HadAnEffectHere
Starter
And1: 1,063

Post#24 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed May 22, 2024 5:10 pm

guldakot wrote:Its always an amazing start to a trade thread when someone tell you how terrible the player they are trying to trade for is to justify an unbalanced trade.

Ausar would go top 5 in this current draft without question. Cason Wallace would go around where he was drafted a year ago.

Ausar would be a very useful player on 5 teams.

He sucks on 25 other teams.

The Pistons are one of the 25.

The Pistons never had a plan about Ausar as they were under a weird delusion that he could learn how to shoot, but I'm guessing that fever has broken. Ausar needs to play as a rim running PF and in the dunker spot next to a stretch 5. The Pistons have no way to obtain a stretch 5.
HadAnEffectHere
Starter

Post#25 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed May 22, 2024 5:12 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Value is bad for Detroit but makes no sense for either team anyway. We need Cason's shooting and Ausar would be a terrible fit.

The point is to have Ausar close to the basket to dunk since there were no viable dumpoff threats for OKC this season and that caused the Thunder to really struggle inside because the opposing center didn't have to worry about dumpoffs.

Ausar is also an elite rebounder and you guys were one of the worst rebounding teams possible.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#26 » by Dadouv47 » Wed May 22, 2024 5:17 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Value is bad for Detroit but makes no sense for either team anyway. We need Cason's shooting and Ausar would be a terrible fit.

The point is to have Ausar close to the basket to dunk since there were no viable dumpoff threats for OKC this season and that caused the Thunder to really struggle inside because the opposing center didn't have to worry about dumpoffs.

Ausar is also an elite rebounder and you guys were one of the worst rebounding teams possible.

still gotta value 3 pt shooting over that. We have the best mid range shooter in the NBA and he isn't great from three and neither is Dort so we need 3 good shooters with them. Improving rebounding would be nice but it's not as bad as it looks since our team found ways to counter that deficiency and it wasn't the reason we lost in the playoffs (Dallas barely outrebounded us)

Don't get me wrong, Ausar is obviously a way better prospect than Cason but I don't want to wait to develop a player or to have remorse because Cason is ready and even if he probably felt a bit the pressure during the playoffs, he showed that he was a key player and could be part of a championship team next season.

We have bigger issues to fix: Giddey's replacement, add a back up big and a scorer to come off the bench. To me, those are way more valuable and important than a potential Ausar/Cason swap.
HadAnEffectHere
Starter

Post#27 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed May 22, 2024 5:22 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

still gotta value 3 pt shooting over that. We have the best mid range shooter in the NBA and he isn't great from three and neither is Dort so we need 3 good shooters with them. Improving rebounding would be nice but it's not as bad as it looks since our team found ways to counter that deficiency and it wasn't the reason we lost in the playoffs (Dallas barely outrebounded us)

Don't get me wrong, Ausar is obviously a way better prospect than Cason but I don't want to wait to develop a player or to have remorse because Cason is ready and even if he probably felt a bit the pressure during the playoffs, he showed that he was a key player and could be part of a championship team next season.

We have bigger issues to fix: Giddey's replacement, add a back up big and a scorer to come off the bench. To me, those are way more valuable and important than a potential Ausar/Cason swap.

Ausar will replace Dort in the starting lineup and he can just hang out in the dunker spot.

Having Dort down there is just terrible for the interior spacing as Dort is so small.

Giddey can be replaced with another shooter who defends, maybe even Kawhi or Paul George.
DrModesty
Senior
And1: 602

Post#28 » by DrModesty » Wed May 22, 2024 5:24 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

Ausar will replace Dort in the starting lineup and he can just hang out in the dunker spot.

Having Dort down there is just terrible for the interior spacing as Dort is so small.

Giddey can be replaced with another shooter who defends, maybe even Kawhi or Paul George.

You are just saying things now.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,999

Post#29 » by Snakebites » Wed May 22, 2024 5:27 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
guldakot wrote:Its always an amazing start to a trade thread when someone tell you how terrible the player they are trying to trade for is to justify an unbalanced trade.

The Pistons never had a plan about Ausar as they were under a weird delusion that he could learn how to shoot, but I'm guessing that fever has broken. Ausar needs to play as a rim running PF and in the dunker spot next to a stretch 5. The Pistons have no way to obtain a stretch 5.

Ah. Do you think you’ve got us over a barrel.

This sort of argument would land better if you were asking to swap Ausar for Wallace. Not saying I’d do that but you’d have at least a coherent case.

It falls flat when you’re also asking us to drop 7 spots.

Why shouldn’t we just keep Ausar and draft a Cason level shooter at 5? There should be guys like that available even in a weak draft.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#30 » by Dadouv47 » Wed May 22, 2024 5:29 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

I think Dort is still a better player than Ausar right now and team chemistry is important too. I wouldn't mind trading him for a big improvement but Ausar might only be that guy in 2 seasons. The goal is to win a championship during Shai's current contract so I would only trade Dort for a established player. You are basically saying we should get rid of our two best defenders too and our defense worked very well during the season/postseason...doesn't make any sense to me for a contender that has enough problems to solve
HadAnEffectHere
Starter

Post#31 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed May 22, 2024 5:35 pm

Snakebites wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

This sort of argument would land better if you were asking to swap Ausar for Wallace. Not saying I’d do that but you’d have at least a coherent case.

It falls flat when you’re also asking us to drop 5 spots.

Why shouldn’t we just keep Ausar and draft a Cason level shooter at 5? There should be guys like that available even in a weak draft.

Okay, so, first of all, I'm a Jazz fan unfortunately and not a Thunder fan.

Second of all, Cason Wallace and Ausar both easily go #1 in this draft. Cason Wallace has Jrue Holiday level upside. He was a good two way guard in the NBA playoffs at 20 years old. Ausar was benched on a team that had the longest losing streak in NBA history.

But yes, you are absolutely over a barrel with Ausar as he can go to one of five teams and actually work

1. Nuggets (no assets and already have Aaron Gordon)
2. Celtics (limited assets)
3. 76ers (Maybe but the timeline is a little weird...)
4. Spurs (a possibility)
5. Thunder (a possibility)

So there's three teams in the entire NBA that can trade for Ausar Thompson and would be willing to give up real assets for him. Ausar does not work at all with the Pistons and won't be able to play significant minutes with the Pistons as they don't have the elite spacing he needs.

So this is a very bad situation for the Pistons, a situation they should have solved by trading down and getting a player that didn't need such an extremely specific fit. But they put themselves in this situation and should probably rectify it by moving Ausar to one of the three teams that might really want him and getting back a really good young player... Like Cason Wallace.

Who is really good and is more than just a 3D guy, he just didn't get to handle the ball much because OKC was a 57 win team and he's 20 years old.
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,922

Post#32 » by Dn4sty » Wed May 22, 2024 6:04 pm

I like the creativity of the idea but I don’t see how OKC would incorporate Ausar into this current iteration
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,146

Post#33 » by theBigLip » Wed May 22, 2024 8:07 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

Second of all, Cason Wallace and Ausar both easily go #1 in this draft. Cason Wallace has Jrue Holiday level upside. He was a good two way guard in the NBA playoffs at 20 years old. Ausar was benched on a team that had the longest losing streak in NBA history.

But yes, you are absolutely over a barrel with Ausar as he can go to one of five teams and actually work

4. Spurs (a possibility)

So there's three teams in the entire NBA that can trade for Ausar Thompson and would be willing to give up real assets for him. Ausar does not work at all with the Pistons and won't be able to play significant minutes with the Pistons as they don't have the elite spacing he needs.

So this is a very bad situation for the Pistons, a situation they should have solved by trading down and getting a player that didn't need such an extremely specific fit. But they put themselves in this situation and should probably rectify it by moving Ausar to one of the three teams that might really want him and getting back a really good young player... Like Cason Wallace.

Who is really good and is more than just a 3D guy, he just didn't get to handle the ball much because OKC was a 57 win team and he's 20 years old.

Ausar wasn’t benched. He had a blood clot that ended his season early. But he was always a rotation player at a minimum and got a lot of starts as well.
HadAnEffectHere
Starter

Post#34 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed May 22, 2024 8:16 pm

theBigLip wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Ah. Do you think you’ve got us over a barrel.

4. Spurs (a possibility)

Ausar wasn’t benched. He had a blood clot that ended his season early. But he was always a rotation player at a minimum and got a lot of starts as well.

He started at the beginning of the season and spent the last 25 or so games off the bench.

Because he suffocates any team without 4 other threats.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#35 » by Snakebites » Wed May 22, 2024 8:19 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

4. Spurs (a possibility)

If his value is low to the point where we'd need to drop 7 spots for the joy of swapping him for a bench player like Cason I think we'll just take our chances and keep him.

Thanks for trying to help us out of such a horrific predicament though.
HadAnEffectHere
Starter

Post#36 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed May 22, 2024 8:26 pm

Cason is really good, this is a bizarre argument.

You know he was 20 years old and playing crunch time minutes in the postseason.

He's easily better than everyone on the Pistons roster other than maybe Cade right now.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#37 » by Snakebites » Wed May 22, 2024 8:55 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Cason is really good, this is a bizarre argument.

He's easily better than everyone on the Pistons roster other than maybe Cade right now.

You’ve got Thunder fans saying the value is bad for Detroit. You’ve got fans of neither team saying it’s a non-starter for Detroit.

You are the only one defending this trade.

It’s possible you’ve got secret wisdom nobody else has. But I think you need to consider the possibility that this isn’t the case.
TPA
Pro Prospect
And1: 544

Post#38 » by TPA » Wed May 22, 2024 9:03 pm

The crappy trade proposal that just won't die...
HadAnEffectHere
Starter

Post#39 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed May 22, 2024 9:10 pm

Snakebites wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:Cason is really good, this is a bizarre argument.

You’ve got Thunder fans saying the value is bad for Detroit. You’ve got fans of neither team saying it’s a non-starter for Detroit.

You are the only one defending this trade.

It’s possible you’ve got secret wisdom nobody else has. But I think you need to consider the possibility that this isn’t the case.

Wallace: Made the all rookie team
Ausar: Did not

Wallace: Played serious playoff minutes
Ausar: Played a limited role on a 14-68 team.

Wallace: Can fit on most teams because he can defend and shoot
Ausar: Cannot fit on any team without four perimeter threats

I don't know how controversial this is by any objective measure.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 11,345

Post#40 » by zeebneeb » Thu May 23, 2024 12:11 am

This is a terrible trade for Detroit.

It is essentially two top 5 picks, for Cason and #12

There is no universe that makes sense.

Return to Trades and Transactions