OKC - Dallas - Toronto v2

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, Texas Chuck, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, BullyKing, MoneyTalks41890, Trader_Joe

Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 11,252

Re: OKC - Dallas - Toronto v2 

Post#21 » by Godaddycurse » Thu May 23, 2024 1:38 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
Yeah, unless you’re just saying Powell doesn’t belong on an NBA roster (plenty have said that) I don’t see how his contract can be that big a negative? Isn’t his minimum contract like 2.5-2.8 million? He’s a bigger negative to teams trying to skate the tax or apron or maximize cap space, of course.. But if none of those things factor in..

He can only be like 2.5 million over paid combined over the next two years to a team that wants a decent deep bench big that can play big minutes sometimes?

Unless he’s just not an NBA player?

His archtype imo is just not valued at all these days as a traditional big who doesn't protect the rim or rebound that well. He wouldnt get minutes on playoff teams and rebuilding teams are better off giving minutes to develop youngsters.

I think he's perfect on a young team. Works harder than everyone. Smart, great teammates. Has deficiencies as a player for sure, but he does two things a young team would want from a vet -- he plays all out every play on both ends and his elite rim running helps a young guard you want to develop.

Agree he has no place in a playoff rotation. But I can't imagine Dwight Powell can't be worth a roster spot in a league where Jordan, Morris, Boban, Taj, etc still have one.

a) those players are all making the minimum
b) they dont have multiple years guaranteed

if you want to insist you can pay a team cash to take him on, you're probably not wrong but based on previous cash for pick transactions a 2nd is basicalyl worth the cash you'd be spending to dump him so i'm not sure what we're arguing about.
BeiBeau
Veteran
And1: 1,510

Post#22 » by BeiBeau » Thu May 23, 2024 1:43 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
And no chance Dallas is paying prosper to dump Powell. Cash is more then enough to get off of Powell’s 3 million above the minimum contract.

I think teams much prefer paying a future 2nd than 5M cash from the owner's pockets

I’m not here to count a billionaires wallet. And a future 2nd is better than prosper. Prosper to dump Powell is a non starter.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#23 » by Godaddycurse » Thu May 23, 2024 1:52 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
And no chance Dallas is paying prosper to dump Powell. Cash is more then enough to get off of Powell’s 3 million above the minimum contract.

I think teams much prefer paying a future 2nd than 5M cash from the owner's pockets

I’m not here to count a billionaires wallet. And a future 2nd is better than prosper. Prosper to dump Powell is a non starter.

Sigh.

Prosper is for THJ
The MIA 2nd is for Powell
BeiBeau
Veteran
And1: 1,510

Post#24 » by BeiBeau » Thu May 23, 2024 1:58 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Sigh.

Prosper is for THJ

Prosper should be close to enough to dump THJ into space. Not taking back an overpaid Hayward who wasn’t a playoff rotation piece for a worse team then Dallas.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 6,157

Post#25 » by jayjaysee » Thu May 23, 2024 2:00 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:

A second, yeah pay it if it’s needed to make tax room.

But maybe my issue is subbing Prosper in for the Toronto 2nd here?

Or just tell Gordon we can only give you 9.5ish million first year because we are keeping Powell instead of paying to dump him. He’s our good luck charm.

Do the math to give Gordon exactly enough the first year to have room for the incentives on roster and DJJ’s full MLE.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#26 » by Godaddycurse » Thu May 23, 2024 2:18 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:

A second, yeah pay it if it’s needed to make tax room.

But maybe my issue is subbing Prosper in for the Toronto 2nd here?

Or just tell Gordon we can only give you 9.5ish million first year because we are keeping Powell instead of paying to dump him. He’s our good luck charm.

Do the math to give Gordon exactly enough the first year to have room for the incentives on roster and DJJ’s full MLE.

Ya im down for 2025 2nd instead of prosper. Everyone is giving me pushnack for prosper now but not when Chuck did it lol. This is what i get for borrowing from him :lol:
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 92,425

Post#27 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 23, 2024 2:19 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:a) those players are all making the minimum
b) they dont have multiple years guaranteed

if you want to insist you can pay a team cash to take him on, you're probably not wrong but based on previous cash for pick transactions a 2nd is basicalyl worth the cash you'd be spending to dump him so i'm not sure what we're arguing about.

I didn't insist Dallas could use cash. But I do think they can move him without having to use Prosper.

Now we can debate the value of Prosper vs the 25 TOR 2nd. I imagine that's team specific. If a team doesn't like him, I agree better to get what could be a pick in the upper 30's to choose your own guy and re-start a rookie clock.

But in a vacuum I think I'd still value Prosper slightly higher? Maybe a mistake though.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck

Post#28 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 23, 2024 2:20 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:Ya im down for 2025 2nd instead of prosper. Everyone is giving me pushnack for prosper now but not when Chuck did it lol. This is what i get for borrowing from him :lol:

You're okay lol. When you tell other posters their players aren't worth 8 lottery picks nobody gets mad. If I tell them that, I get kicked in the crotch repeatedly and accused of all kinds of nefarious things. You'll survive. :lol:
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck

Post#29 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 23, 2024 2:30 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Sigh.

Prosper is for THJ

Missed this. The problem is you are asking Dallas to pay to dump all of THJ when they aren't getting to do that. I know Toronto is taking all of him and would rightfully need to be compensated for that. But because OKC isn't saving money, the Hayward addition which changes the math for Dallas in a bad way, doesn't change the others.

Better to use Olynyk or Boucher so Dallas isn't paying for a full dump they aren't getting without short-changing Toronto.
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,319

Post#30 » by realEAST » Thu May 23, 2024 2:58 pm

I think it is not the wisest use of assets to just dump them along THJ, in order to extend D. Jones, who has been great this year, but this amount of assets by themself might get you a better player than him, and if you toss in a 2025 1st, you can probably add another good contributor... and Jones still might extend on 1+1 TPMLE, and then get 3/33 next summer.

Return to Trades and Transactions