Rumor: Blake trade being discussed

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

vege
RealGM
And1: 4,346

Re: Rumor: Blake trade being discussed 

Post#41 » by vege » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:21 pm

lol at the offers being posted here.

Anyways the last sentence of the article says enough.

"At this point, it would be a major surprise to see Blake Griffin on the move."
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,741

Post#42 » by jayjaysee » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:19 am

Bryant/Blake/Bertrans/Beal/Wall?
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 483

Post#43 » by DetroitDon15 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:21 am

vege wrote:lol at the offers being posted here.

All these deals are terrible for Detroit except for the D-Lo deal. It only makes sense if Detroit is heading toward the lotto AND Thompson is close to playing.

All these other offers aren’t serious except for maybe the Goran, Herro, Winslow, future FRP deal.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#44 » by rugbyrugger23 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:41 am

jayjaysee wrote:Bryant/Blake/Bertrans/Beal/Wall?

Wizards should consider this. Unload their expiring contracts, youth and 1sts to get it done.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#45 » by Mykhyn » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:34 am

What about Derozan + Belinelli + 2023 unprotected 1st(1st year post pop it looks like and likely post aldridge/blake)

Derozan gives them someone to market to keep attendance and that pick could be very good as it should be when the 1st year post pop and the aging stars.

Spurs go all in for Pops last couple years and try to get him a title
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#46 » by Winglish » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:51 am

Could Utah offer anything or anyone not named Mitchell/Conley/Gobert?

Honestly the Jazz just DOUBLED the price of season tickets. They should just go into salary cap Hell and reward their fans with a real chance at a title.

Sent from my SM-G892U using RealGM mobile app
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 764

Post#47 » by A_dub06 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:16 am

vege wrote:lol at the offers being posted here.

100% agree

I think it’s important for discussion sake to elaborate that if we trade Griffin it’s because we are rebuilding and thus wanting a mixture of young players, picks and expiring contracts. Trading Blake for another established veteran makes zero sense in this context and as DetroitDon15 said the only deal that seems logical that’s been proposed is Dlo coming to Detroit.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,173

Post#48 » by psimanic1 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:05 am

I wouldn't mind something around Millsap + Juancho + Morris(maybe) and some picks...And then DEN can sign Lin as a backup PG probably...
Dr Modesty
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#49 » by Dr Modesty » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:18 pm

A trade with the Celtics makes sense

Boston receives:
Blake Griffin + Reggie Jackson

Detroit receives:
Gordon Hayward + Romeo Langford + Marcus Smart + 2020 Memphis first round pick + 2021 Boston first round pick (Lottery protected)

Why for Boston:

Blake fills a position of dire need with a genuine top 20 player and Boston become an instant contender. Blake also fits with the timeline of Kemba realistically being a premier point guard and Tatum being on his rookie deal. They get off Haywards contract and the chemistry issues unique to him being in Boston. They get a large expiring deal which offers some flexibility going forward.

Why for Detroit:

They get a cheaper max contract with one year less which lets them be a player in the 2021 free agent class. Hayward may also get closer to his best in a different location without the same pressures and one year further removed from injury. They get a prospect with a long rookie deal as well as a solid point guard who is still relatively young at 25. They also get two first round picks including probably the best pick available to them and a pick in the double draft.

It would have to wait until Langford is trade eligible, but thoughts?
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 764

Post#50 » by A_dub06 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:28 pm

Dr Modesty wrote:A trade with the Celtics makes sense

Boston receives:

Detroit receives:
Gordon Hayward + Romeo Langford + Marcus Smart + 2020 Memphis first round pick + 2021 Boston first round pick (Lottery protected)

Why for Boston:

Blake fills a position of dire need with a genuine top 20 player and Boston become an instant contender. Blake also fits with the timeline of Kemba realistically being a premier point guard and Tatum being on his rookie deal. They get off Haywards contract and the chemistry issues unique to him being in Boston. They get a large expiring deal which offers some flexibility going forward.

Why for Detroit:

They get a cheaper max contract with one year less which lets them be a player in the 2021 free agent class. Hayward may also get closer to his best in a different location without the same pressures and one year further removed from injury. They get a prospect with a long rookie deal as well as a solid point guard who is still relatively young at 25. They also get two first round picks including probably the best pick available to them and a pick in the double draft.

Is that Memphis pick unprotected? If so I would definitely jump on this as a Pistons fan.
Dr Modesty
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#51 » by Dr Modesty » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:34 pm

A_dub06 wrote:

Boston receives:

Detroit receives:

Why for Boston:

Why for Detroit:

Is that Memphis pick unprotected? If so I would definitely jump on this as a Pistons fan.

I believe its top 6 protected 2020 and unprotected 2021
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,297

Post#52 » by BBallFreak » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:41 pm

DetroitDon15 wrote:All these other offers aren’t serious except for maybe the Goran, Herro, Winslow, future FRP deal.

We actually can't include a future first. We could do a pick swap though.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,324

Post#53 » by Moses ShamMoses » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:54 pm

I'm digging that Boston trade above. I'd like it even more if we could find a third team to take Hayward and more picks coming back to Detroit. Not a deal breaker though.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,074

Post#54 » by queridiculo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:56 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:

Wizards should consider this. Unload their expiring contracts, youth and 1sts to get it done.

Hate the idea of moving Brown and Hachimura, and outside of sending a ton of future picks I don't see how Washington sends enough value.

This would work:

WAS: Mahinmi, Miles, Bertans, Wagner choice of picks
DET: Griffin

Pure fantasy, Detroit can do better than expirings, moon shot young guy and middling picks.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,761

Post#55 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:56 pm

nomansland wrote:I've almost always thought he was an underappreciated/underrated player and would love to have him in Denver but that contract is tough to swallow. That contract will make it hard for him to land on a serious contender unless someone wants to go into the luxury tax.
If you're a serious contender, the luxury tax doesn't stop you from adding a player like Blake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,074

Post#56 » by queridiculo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:58 pm

Boston receives:

Detroit receives:

Why for Boston:

Why for Detroit:

Marcus Smart is a key Celtic, leave out Jackson and Smart and Boston actually has something to work with.

Don't see how this makes sense for the Celtics otherwise.

Boston probably needs to add more value because of Haywards extra year, almost 0 chance Hayward opts out.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,724

Post#57 » by nate33 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:14 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:

It's not feasible to have a supermax and two max contracts on the same roster - particularly when two of them are highly injury prone.

Wall, Beal and Griffin alone would cost $100M next year and about $130M in 2021 when Beal resigns. Factor Bryant, an MLE caliber SF and a bench of vet minimum and rookie scale guys and the payroll would over $160M. That would mean over $70M in luxtax fees (assuming a modestly higher luxtax threshold by 2021).
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#58 » by Mykhyn » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:30 pm

Boston receives:

Detroit receives:

Why for Boston:

Why for Detroit:

This feels a bit steep.

I think Celtics want to keep Smart in this type of deal. Simplify it to

Blake for Hayward + Romeo + Memphis pick + 2021 1st and its a lot more interesting IMO
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,846

Post#59 » by brackdan70 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:31 pm

Boston receives:

Detroit receives:

Why for Boston:

Why for Detroit:

Does Blake have that kind of Value?

I would not consider this as a Cs fan.

Something around Blake for Hayward could make sense. Yes I could see the Cs adding assets but not this much. His contract is 2 years with final year as a player option and it’s not as bad as perceived.
Also the chemistry issues have likely been handled with a few key departures.

I personally want to hang onto Hayward as I think he is going to bounce back. Showed a lot of good signs toward the end of last season

But fair value is probably closer to Hayward, Langford, and a pick (not the Memphis pick)

I would not include Smart in this deal.
Sign here
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#60 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:09 pm

brackdan70 wrote:

Boston receives:

Detroit receives:

Why for Boston:

Why for Detroit:

Does Blake have that kind of Value?

I would not consider this as a Cs fan.

Something around Blake for Hayward could make sense. Yes I could see the Cs adding assets but not this much. His contract is 2 years with final year as a player option and it’s not as bad as perceived.
Also the chemistry issues have likely been handled with a few key departures.

I personally want to hang onto Hayward as I think he is going to bounce back. Showed a lot of good signs toward the end of last season

But fair value is probably closer to Hayward, Langford, and a pick (not the Memphis pick)

I would not include Smart in this deal.

I too see the Celtics quickly passing on the above.

As for the bolded, if Hayward picks up his option, the worst case scenario is that he suddenly becomes a rather large expiring deal that will be attractive to teams looking to get cap space for the much heralded 2021 FA period.

Return to Trades and Transactions