Woj and Shams: Chris Paul to Phoenix

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Paul poll

Sun up: Phoenix wins, getting the star they've long coveted, a perfect fit for a team on the rise.
5%
Thunder rolls: OKC wins, getting out of a massive contract for flippable pieces and a future pick too
45%
Sunset flip: both teams win. Phoenix gets their "dollar", OKC gets some nice quarters...and save dollars.
50%
Beyond Thunderdome: both teams lose. Suns give up good pieces but take on a huge contract and only get to the middle; Thunder could have at least waited to see if more desperate offers rolled in.
No votes

Total votes: 113

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,799

Re: Woj and Shams: Chris Paul to Phoenix 

Post#61 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:49 pm

Fitz303 wrote:
jscott wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:That pick is irrelevant. Two years from now if the suns are still in the lottery, they’ll have bigger problems than not having a pick. Furthermore, LeQ is a project, Jerome will be in Europe for his next deal, and Oubre lost his starting job.

Try to use some better analogies, please.

Really? That's where you're going with this? What other words are we not allowed to use for your feelings sake?

As for the deal. Solid W for both teams IMO

LEt me be crystal clear to everyone --- we are not using rape analogies on this board. And you need to check yourself if you think its appropriate on any level.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#62 » by LloydFree » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:50 pm

I thought McDonough got fired. This is ridiculous. Why in the world are the Sun's the team that is adding the pick?

So much for all of the idiots who said Chris Paul was the worst contract in the NBA last off-season.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 787

Post#63 » by cjmcallist » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:52 pm

TGW wrote:Bradley Beal for Presti....who says no

:lol:

OKC says no.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#64 » by Buzzard » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:52 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I'm just thinking back to the dozens of threads last year where OKC was throwing in multiple picks to get teams to take on Chris Paul.

It did take Presti a year to move him but his patience payed off. I think when the trade first went down for CP3, 75% of the board thought he would be moved by the 2019/20 deadline for a lot of cap space.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,980

Post#65 » by VCfor3 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:54 pm

I like the direction of the trade for both teams, but feel the Suns paid too much. Maybe replacing the 1st with a 2nd would have me feeling better but oh well.
jscott
Veteran
And1: 957

Post#66 » by jscott » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:54 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Fitz303 wrote:
jscott wrote:Try to use some better analogies, please.

Really? That's where you're going with this? What other words are we not allowed to use for your feelings sake?

As for the deal. Solid W for both teams IMO

LEt me be crystal clear to everyone --- we are not using rape analogies on this board. And you need to check yourself if you think its appropriate on any level.

Thank you. Agreed 100%.
Texas Chuck

Post#67 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:59 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I'm just thinking back to the dozens of threads last year where OKC was throwing in multiple picks to get teams to take on Chris Paul.

not all of us buddy. 8-)
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#68 » by Spin Move » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:09 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Phx grossly overpaid.

Disagree, Oubre was expiring and they did not want to extend him, not a lot of value to the suns limited value to other teams. Rubio's lack of consistent 3 point shooting was not a great fit with Ayton though his defense was certainly helpful in improving but he was not a great contract for his contribution. Ty Jerome and Leque or not high level prospects and phoenix should bb good so its should be a late 1st. They kept #1 and their good young players.

To Phoenix making the playoffs if huge for keeping Devin Booker happy, defenitly think next season the team is better for this trade, neither Rubio or Oubre or a late 22 1st were going to likley be important cogs long term. I think the value is right given the contract sitatutions of Oubre and Rubio.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,677

Post#69 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:13 pm

I'm obviously really happy about OKC's end here, but setting aside whether the value was bad, good, or just right for PHX, Chris Paul is going to dramatically change the fortunes of the Suns if he's healthy. And even if he's not out there all the time, Booker is going to get a lot better, which is somewhat scary.
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,364

Post#70 » by patman66 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:14 pm

well my premise that Paul will not get along with another established star will be put to the test soon enough, Paul's or Booker's team to be decided soon enough. I think phx overpaid, but if it works out bless them.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,618

Post#71 » by zimpy27 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:18 pm

I think Suns paid too much because they could pay too much, which isn't great.
Instead of trading Oubre thinking that they wouldn't keep him, they should have traded Oubre thinking that they would've kept him.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Texas Chuck

Post#72 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:19 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I'm obviously really happy about OKC's end here, but setting aside whether the value was bad, good, or just right for PHX, Chris Paul is going to dramatically change the fortunes of the Suns if he's healthy.

Here is what I think this board loses sight of at times --- there just aren't enough players of Paul's caliber available. So getting one is almost always a positive. In this deal the player loss is nothing and yeah there is some risk with those specific protections on the pick, but you are getting a guy who was really great last year and played every night.

We are right to look at contracts and age and injury risk and all of that. But not ahead of what is the most valuable and hard to obtain thing in the Association -- star impact.

Get a star. You pretty much win.
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#73 » by FutureKnicksGM » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:20 pm

What steal by OKC, squeezing a pick out of PHX, when they were already getting fairly value contract filler.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,677

Post#74 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:20 pm

If PHX is able to effectively use their cap space and OKC cooperates (which, I don't see why they wouldn't) on that piece, then we may need to evaluate this is the context of adding an 18m player in FA as well, which is smart GMing.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,882

Post#75 » by the_process » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:22 pm

This is a terrible overpay. I’m not convinced the Suns even make the playoffs either of the next 2 years, and that pick could easily end conveying as a lottery pick. And to add insult to injury CP3 is 36, injury prone, and owed 86M the next two years!

I mean, I gueeeeessssss if it keeps Booker happy and in town it’s worth it??
loserX
And1: 26,047

Post#76 » by loserX » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:24 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:If PHX is able to effectively use their cap space and OKC cooperates (which, I don't see why they wouldn't) on that piece, then we may need to evaluate this is the context of adding an 18m player in FA as well, which is smart GMing.

It would be pretty hilarious if the Suns wanted to preserve that capspace to sign Gallinari and the Thunder jerked them around and said "no" so they could S&T him elsewhere :lol:
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,684

Post#77 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:28 pm

loserX wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:If PHX is able to effectively use their cap space and OKC cooperates (which, I don't see why they wouldn't) on that piece, then we may need to evaluate this is the context of adding an 18m player in FA as well, which is smart GMing.

It would be pretty hilarious if the Suns wanted to preserve that capspace to sign Gallinari and the Thunder jerked them around and said "no" so they could S&T him elsewhere :lol:

Suns can have 18m in cap space. Or Saric, Baynes and the MLE (what fits of it). I would stay an over the cap team and use those cap holds personally.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,849

Post#78 » by penbeast0 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:30 pm

Kilo wrote:Presti is a wizard.

Nah, as a longtime Washington fan, the last time I was excited about a Washington trade in a good way was when they traded Jeff Malone (who I loved but who was not a needle mover) for Pervis Ellison (who never got healthy but that was the downside risk and it could have worked out).

Seriously, calling an NBA figure a wizard is NOT a compliment.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Texas Chuck

Post#79 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:30 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
loserX wrote:

Suns can have 18m in cap space. Or Saric, Baynes and the MLE (what fits of it). I would stay an over the cap team and use those cap holds personally.

I think I'd trade Saric, Baynes, and anyone I could realistically sign for the MLE for Gallo and a taxpayer MLE signing. Especially since I think Saric showed the best way to use him is at backup center so not sure I want to bring back both he and Baynes anyway.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,517

Post#80 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:33 pm

Thinks overpay with the pick, Think a team like the suns should have made the move when he was on the block last season. Would like it better for Suns pending the follow up moves they make.

Return to Trades and Transactions