OFFICIAL: radmanovic for morrison

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

CableKC
RealGM
And1: 10,834

Re: OFFICIAL: radmanovic for morrison 

Post#61 » by CableKC » Sun Feb 8, 2009 1:59 am

Jajwanda wrote:He doesn't but most teams are looking for 2010 anyway not 2009 so that's irrelevant.

To me...this is as much helping out the Lakers ability to continue to improve their team as it is the Bobcats trying to get more out of the Lakers. The Lakers now have the ability to resign Ariza....IMHO one of the key roleplayers that they want to retain next season.
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
#IT_IS_THE_PARTY_OF_TRUMP_NOW
UKF
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#62 » by UKF » Sun Feb 8, 2009 2:10 am

Laker fans get someone who is younger, and is in the process of growing a stache. Bobcats get an old guy with a lrg contract. This trade makes no sense for either team..lol

Lol at both teams..
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 544

Post#63 » by raleigh » Sun Feb 8, 2009 2:37 am

Bottom line, the Bobcats aren't doing anything this season, and could've gotten better value for Morrison's expiring contract in the offseason. There was no reason for them to pay a perimeter big $13M on the next two seasons when they could've gotten someone like Walter Herrmann back for much less.

Lack of vision.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,733

Post#64 » by shrink » Sun Feb 8, 2009 3:39 am

spectre_ wrote:
shrink wrote:Shannon Brown 797,581
Adam Morrison 4,159,200 5,257,229

Vlad Radmanovic 6,049,400 6,466,600 6,883,800

2008-09 Lakers Save: $1,092,619
2009-10 Lakers Save: $1,209,371
2010-11 Lakers Save: $6,883,800
----------------------------------------------
Total Lakers Save: $9,185,790

And of course, much of this money will probably be doubled for lux savings.

I don't get this at all for CHA. As bad as Morrison is, in 4 months he becomes an expiring, and Shannon Brown is already an expiring.

Why is a million bucks over the next two years such a big deal? Ammo was an expiring in 4 months, Rad will be one in a year and 4 months. Rad will contribute more to the team than Ammo would, and this team needs to show promise NOW vs. worry about 2 years from now.

It's not always about the money. Ammo sucked, and we apparantly did the best trade we could that netted better production. For someone with no value obviously the only way to make that happen was take on a slightly worse contract. One extra year IMO is pretty good considering.

If CHA hadn't made this trade, in 4 months:

Brown would be off the books,
the $1 mil difference would be off the books
Morrison would be a valuable expiring, particularly since so many teams want to cut salary before 2010.

In four months, Vlad will continue to have negative value.

.. there was no urgent need by the Bobcats to add Vlad this season. Even if they wanted Vlad, they could have waited until the summer, and gotten a much better deal
spectre_
Lead Assistant
And1: 15

Post#65 » by spectre_ » Sun Feb 8, 2009 3:56 am

shrink wrote:
spectre_ wrote:
shrink wrote:Shannon Brown 797,581
Adam Morrison 4,159,200 5,257,229

Vlad Radmanovic 6,049,400 6,466,600 6,883,800

2008-09 Lakers Save: $1,092,619
2009-10 Lakers Save: $1,209,371
2010-11 Lakers Save: $6,883,800
----------------------------------------------
Total Lakers Save: $9,185,790

And of course, much of this money will probably be doubled for lux savings.

I don't get this at all for CHA. As bad as Morrison is, in 4 months he becomes an expiring, and Shannon Brown is already an expiring.

Why is a million bucks over the next two years such a big deal? Ammo was an expiring in 4 months, Rad will be one in a year and 4 months. Rad will contribute more to the team than Ammo would, and this team needs to show promise NOW vs. worry about 2 years from now.

It's not always about the money. Ammo sucked, and we apparantly did the best trade we could that netted better production. For someone with no value obviously the only way to make that happen was take on a slightly worse contract. One extra year IMO is pretty good considering.

If CHA hadn't made this trade, in 4 months:

Morrison would be a valuable expiring, particularly since so many teams want to cut salary before 2010.

.. there was no urgent need by the Bobcats to add Vlad this season. Even if they wanted Vlad, they could have waited until the summer, and gotten a much better deal

Brown's only owed like 350k! All totalled we're talking what, 1.5 million?

Morrison is a 'valuable' expiring next season...Rad is a "valuable' expiring the season after. That's such a huge cost when we need the talent upgrade because of Crash's injury?

And Loserx is correct; Morrison's option was picked up so he's guaranteed next year's salary.
RaptorJ wrote:they (Bobcats' fans) seem to be some of the least intelligent posters on RealGM from some of the trash they say.

Irony
shrink
RealGM

Post#66 » by shrink » Sun Feb 8, 2009 4:15 am

spectre_ wrote:
shrink wrote: If CHA hadn't made this trade, in 4 months:

Brown's only owed like 350k! All totalled we're talking what, 1.5 million?

Morrison is a 'valuable' expiring next season...Rad is a "valuable' expiring the season after. That's such a huge cost when we need the talent upgrade because of Crash's injury?

And Loserx is correct; Morrison's option was picked up so he's guaranteed next year's salary.

No. I did the numbers in my first post .. you're paying over $9 mil.

Worse, Vlad's $7 mil comes at a time when it is the worst time to have extra dollars .. 2010-11. Many teams are trying to get under the salary cap for 2010 because of the valuable free agency. An expiring in 2011 is far less valuable .. NEGATIVE valued. Its not simply a matter of waiting for it to increase in value .. you're waiting past the timeframe where it would hold its maximum value.

Some teams are going to be left holding the bad with these overpaid players that go past 2010. The salary cap may shrink that year as well, and teams are going to be burned.

I'll repeat my contention, which you seem to have ignore:

There is no need so immediate this season that CHA couldn't have waited until the summer to do this trade, and have the Lakers add more to the deal. this was selling Morrisson low, when he was GUARANTEED to have positive value in four months, simply by becoming an expiring.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,289

Post#67 » by dockingsched » Sun Feb 8, 2009 4:45 am

there is no need so immediate? the bobcats are only 4 games out of the playoffs, and thats after a 4 game losing streak...that looks pretty immediate to me. plugging in radman over morrison is a big boost in that endeavor. they're pretty much at a crossroads right now and their choosing to do what they can to make the playoffs.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
shrink
RealGM

Post#68 » by shrink » Sun Feb 8, 2009 5:21 am

dcash4 wrote:there is no need so immediate? the bobcats are only 4 games out of the playoffs, and thats after a 4 game losing streak...that looks pretty immediate to me. plugging in radman over morrison is a big boost in that endeavor. they're pretty much at a crossroads right now and their choosing to do what they can to make the playoffs.

.. and get eliminated in the first round. VladRad is not going to make the Bobcats competitive with BOS, ORL or CLE.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by dockingsched » Sun Feb 8, 2009 5:42 am

shrink wrote:
.. and get eliminated in the first round. VladRad is not going to make the Bobcats competitive with BOS, ORL or CLE.

thats your response? really? that it doesn't put them on the level of bos/orl/cle therefore its a bad trade? c'mon now.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
CableKC
RealGM

Post#70 » by CableKC » Sun Feb 8, 2009 5:46 am

shrink wrote:No. I did the numbers in my first post .. you're paying over $9 mil.

Worse, Vlad's $7 mil comes at a time when it is the worst time to have extra dollars .. 2010-11. Many teams are trying to get under the salary cap for 2010 because of the valuable free agency. An expiring in 2011 is far less valuable .. NEGATIVE valued. Its not simply a matter of waiting for it to increase in value .. you're waiting past the timeframe where it would hold its maximum value.

Some teams are going to be left holding the bad with these overpaid players that go past 2010. The salary cap may shrink that year as well, and teams are going to be burned.

I'll repeat my contention, which you seem to have ignore:

There is no need so immediate this season that CHA couldn't have waited until the summer to do this trade, and have the Lakers add more to the deal. this was selling Morrisson low, when he was GUARANTEED to have positive value in four months, simply by becoming an expiring.

shrink....FTW.

Until someone can explain to me why the Bobcats did this.....this is a trade that only comes out in favor of the Lakers. Talentwise.....VladRad is clearly better....but not enough to justify taking him on and losing what value Morrison has as a 2009 Expiring Contract.

The Lakers not only get rid of a 2010 contract ( something that EVERY Team is trying to do ), they get a 2009 contract that has value.
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
CableKC
RealGM

Post#71 » by CableKC » Sun Feb 8, 2009 5:54 am

dcash4 wrote:
shrink wrote:

thats your response? really? that it doesn't put them on the level of bos/orl/cle therefore its a bad trade? c'mon now.

Nope......that and this:

is the main reason.

Can you explain to me why adding on VladRad's contract to the 2010 season is worth it for the Bobcats?

How does VladRad's game fit into Brown's Offense/Defense?

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by dockingsched » Sun Feb 8, 2009 6:01 am

well, radman is simply better than adam morrison, thats probably a pretty good reason for the bobcats to do it. they got a much better player by taking on one more yr of salary. sure that year is 2010-2011, but that offseason is getting way too overrated here. i mean, shrink says they could have waited til the summer, but how does that help them make a playoff push? go ahead and disagree with the bobcats trying to make the playoffs, but at least acknowledge the very real playoff push that radman helps.
InBoobieWeTrust
General Manager

Post#73 » by InBoobieWeTrust » Sun Feb 8, 2009 6:06 am

You can't really blame Charlotte for making the move to get into the playoffs, even for an inevitable 1st round exit, you have to crawl before you can walk...it gets the team more exposure, and a playoff team (regardless of seeding) will bring in more revenue than a non-playoff team. The $9 million will be made up for in various ways.

Plus, in a way...people will start to forget about the Morrison disaster and move on to their new team that could make a push for a playoff spot.
KM44
Sixth Man

Post#74 » by KM44 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 6:14 am

I feel kind of bad about being so negative toward the bobcats, but I just feel like they are destined to be an absolutely terrible team forever. I know it's a bad time to say this as a kings fan, but at least we have a future. I mean look at just their draft picks: Felton, Morrison, May, Dudley, and they traded for Richardson with their top pick which was 8 if I remember correctly.

This team is just destined for mediocrity. I understand that Morrison was pitiful, but Radman is also pathetic, but he has an enormous terrible contract that will haunt them forever. I know its hard to stick up for your team and put a positive spin on a terrible trade (I did the same thing with the webber trade, which is still haunting us in the form of Kenny Thomas), but this was not good for the team this year, as you guys don't have the talent to make the playoffs this year, this was not a good trade for your future, because Radman will only get worse (not saying Morrison will get better) and it hurts the organization, because this is yet another lateral move by a bad organization.
Nicky Nix Nook wrote:In two years:

Thompson > Aldridge
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#75 » by BigSlam » Sun Feb 8, 2009 6:38 am

Must...................bite..................tongue............(on SO many levels)
B B M F 'ers
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,903

Post#76 » by Norm2953 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 6:56 am

There are reasons why some teams are always winning and why some teams are always
losing. With the trade deadline coming up, more dumb trades are coming..
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,398

Post#77 » by amcoolio » Sun Feb 8, 2009 7:03 am

Wow, no one here knows anything about the Bobcats. How wrong can you guys possibly be.

Like Slam, im biting my tongue, because this is ridiculous.

(BTW, the only way we are competing with CLE, BOS, ORL is if we draft a superstar. I mean, really. Unless you are Boston or LA or New York, you can't win without a freaking superstar. That should be common knowledge for you NBA junkies.)
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#78 » by Krapinsky » Sun Feb 8, 2009 7:31 am

I think people are beginning to overestimate 2009 expiring contracts.

I don't imagine very many teams dumping talented players for expiring contacts just for a shot at Bosh/Wade/Lebron. At most, a 2009 expiring is going to bring you a mid first by taking on another year of a dead weight contract.

If people disagree, I'd like to see some examples of what people think Adam Morrison's contract could bring next year.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
shrink
RealGM

Post#79 » by shrink » Sun Feb 8, 2009 8:24 am

dcash4 wrote:there is no need so immediate? the bobcats are only 4 games out of the playoffs, and thats after a 4 game losing streak...that looks pretty immediate to me. plugging in radman over morrison is a big boost in that endeavor. they're pretty much at a crossroads right now and their choosing to do what they can to make the playoffs.

If a team is counting on a big boost from Vlad Radmanovic to get their team the eighth seed in the play-offs, perhaps they should just save their $9 mil?

And even if he gets them there, will they recoup that money in their two home play-off losses before they are eliminated?

In four months, they'd have had a positive trade value asset, where they might have been able to add someone legitimate. Making the trade today was short-sighted.
shrink
RealGM

Post#80 » by shrink » Sun Feb 8, 2009 8:32 am

Dr.Krapinsky wrote:I think people are beginning to overestimate 2009 expiring contracts.

I don't imagine very many teams dumping talented players for expiring contacts just for a shot at Bosh/Wade/Lebron. At most, a 2009 expiring is going to bring you a mid first by taking on another year of a dead weight contract.

If people disagree, I'd like to see some examples of what people think Adam Morrison's contract could bring next year.

Some experts believe that the salary cap could shrink in 2010, and so many teams may want expirings to make their lux and salary cap thresholds.

Its tough to find a straight up example since Morrisson is an odd value, but I think he would bring back a fairly-priced player from a team that decides they don't want to have 2010 salary. For instance, a guy like Jeff Foster > Vlad Radmanovic.

Return to Trades and Transactions