OFFICIAL: radmanovic for morrison

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, Texas Chuck, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, BullyKing, MoneyTalks41890, Trader_Joe

Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Re: OFFICIAL: radmanovic for morrison 

Post#81 » by Jajwanda » Sun Feb 8, 2009 11:12 am

Kirk Hinrich-John Salmons-Jeff Foster he'd the base for a deal for one of those kinds of guys.

Comon now honestly Richard Jefferson was traded for Bobby Simmons and disappointing Yi Jianlian. Don't tell me 2009 contracts are irrelevant.
spectre_
Lead Assistant
And1: 15

Post#82 » by spectre_ » Sun Feb 8, 2009 12:50 pm

shrink wrote:
spectre_ wrote:
shrink wrote: If CHA hadn't made this trade, in 4 months:

Brown would be off the books,
the $1 mil difference would be off the books
Morrison would be a valuable expiring, particularly since so many teams want to cut salary before 2010.

In four months, Vlad will continue to have negative value.

.. there was no urgent need by the Bobcats to add Vlad this season. Even if they wanted Vlad, they could have waited until the summer, and gotten a much better deal

Brown's only owed like 350k! All totalled we're talking what, 1.5 million?

Morrison is a 'valuable' expiring next season...Rad is a "valuable' expiring the season after. That's such a huge cost when we need the talent upgrade because of Crash's injury?

And Loserx is correct; Morrison's option was picked up so he's guaranteed next year's salary.

No. I did the numbers in my first post .. you're paying over $9 mil.

Worse, Vlad's $7 mil comes at a time when it is the worst time to have extra dollars .. 2010-11. Many teams are trying to get under the salary cap for 2010 because of the valuable free agency. An expiring in 2011 is far less valuable .. NEGATIVE valued. Its not simply a matter of waiting for it to increase in value .. you're waiting past the timeframe where it would hold its maximum value.

Some teams are going to be left holding the bad with these overpaid players that go past 2010. The salary cap may shrink that year as well, and teams are going to be burned.

I'll repeat my contention, which you seem to have ignore:

There is no need so immediate this season that CHA couldn't have waited until the summer to do this trade, and have the Lakers add more to the deal. this was selling Morrisson low, when he was GUARANTEED to have positive value in four months, simply by becoming an expiring.

Now you're pointing at 2 different things; the overall cost and the yearly cost. The 1.5 difference was of course the yearly, the 9 is OVERALL. What does waiting this summer save us? That 1.5 million (actually less since contracts would be prorated)! Yet in these few months left in this season we actually get some depth that isn't a total bust on the court!

Who's to say the Lakers don't hold on to Ammo until the deadline in '10 and we move Rad in October/November of '11?

To say that making/not making the playoffs just shows the ignorance in regards to Charlotte's situation. We are a 5 year team...it's different for us than other teams who have been in the league for decades.

As you seem to be ignoring...it's not always about the money.

Besides...do you really see Charlotte as a '10 FA destination if we did have max capspace? Would we really win out over Miami, Cleveland, NY, Chicago...etc?
RaptorJ wrote:they (Bobcats' fans) seem to be some of the least intelligent posters on RealGM from some of the trash they say.

Irony
spectre_
Lead Assistant
And1: 15

Post#83 » by spectre_ » Sun Feb 8, 2009 12:56 pm

shrink wrote:
dcash4 wrote:there is no need so immediate? the bobcats are only 4 games out of the playoffs, and thats after a 4 game losing streak...that looks pretty immediate to me. plugging in radman over morrison is a big boost in that endeavor. they're pretty much at a crossroads right now and their choosing to do what they can to make the playoffs.

If a team is counting on a big boost from Vlad Radmanovic to get their team the eighth seed in the play-offs, perhaps they should just save their $9 mil?

And even if he gets them there, will they recoup that money in their two home play-off losses before they are eliminated?

In four months, they'd have had a positive trade value asset, where they might have been able to add someone legitimate. Making the trade today was short-sighted.

:roll:

No one is saying Rad will give us a big boost to get the 8th seed...but we need DEPTH to rest our starters in order to get to the 8th seed. You want to talk about a negative...Ammo was a negative just by being on the court.

Who's to say we don't combine Rad's (or Nazr's for that matter) with someone like DJ Augustin in trade this summer? Your 9 million overall cost is nowhere set in stone nor should it be.

When we carry his contract to fruition...then you might have a case.
RaptorJ wrote:they (Bobcats' fans) seem to be some of the least intelligent posters on RealGM from some of the trash they say.

Irony
warren weel im
Lead Assistant
And1: 307

Post#84 » by warren weel im » Sun Feb 8, 2009 12:57 pm

I still believe that both team got what they wanted. Could the Bobcats have done better? Sure. But you have to consider that not many teams have the "spare" that the Lakers had. Who do you see them getting with AMMO + Shannon?

As a Laker fan, we definitely love this deal. Its a no-risk, low-reward deal for us.

Aside from the actual savings, which are double from our end, the Lakers save on the amount to extend/re-sign Odom with... not to mention the ability we now have to re-up Ariza with relative ease now. We still have Ammo's 2010 salary to deal with but that's an easier proposition that Vlad's.

As for Charlotte, we sincerely hope Radman becomes the important player that you seek. No he will still not be Gasol-like but if he contributes to your team more than he did here, then we wish you and him well.
skorff26
Analyst
And1: 17

Post#85 » by skorff26 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 1:48 pm

One of the reasons I think that this may have been done is the fact that MJ may be on the hot seat in Charlotte (no sources just speculating). If he is told that he needs to bring in players to get the team to the playoffs,then that's what he'll do to keep his job even if it puts the team at a worse spot down the road,

and I think everyone agrees that Vlad will have a greater impact than morrison, and could help Charlotte make the playoffs (even if they are eliminated in the 1st round in 4 games).
misterglover
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#86 » by misterglover » Sun Feb 8, 2009 4:25 pm

You idiots know abosolutely nothing about the Bobcats.....your just speaking out your asses...First Jordan cant be fired, he isnt the GM...thats Rod Higgins....Jordan is part owner and I dont think he's gonna fire himself....secondly Adam Morrison as a Bobcats was garbage the worst player I have ever seen in the NBA and Im 32 yrs old...he cant play defense, looks absolutely lost and is scared to shoot and this was an expansion team he was given every chance to suceed, just show something, anything!! Nobody gives up on a #3 overall pick in less then 3 years especially if your a team with no history of winning like us, he was given every chance to show he was a NBA level player and he failed....miserably!!!! So what we took on $$$ for the summer of 2010 lets be honest we werent really in the race to land one of those big names anyway our 2010 is now, our best player (Crash) has a collapsed lung, we've made 3 in-season trade and yet we stand only 4 games out of the playoffs....yet to hear you idiots on this board talk we were 1-81, if you've actually taken time to notice we are playing the best basketball in our history and for the first time people in Charlotte are actually showing a little interest in the Bobcats, so what if we sneak in and lose in the first round a playoff trip is gonna attract buzz here in town, make $$ for the franchise and put us on national TV for like only the 3 or 4th time in our history.....If Radmanovic averages 8ppg, gives us anything off the bench and is atleast willing to shoot the damn ball then to us he is an upgrade over Morrison. As long as he doesnt stand there scratching the back of his head(which Adam actually does....) Im good with this trade...

And Morrison isnt an expiring contract, the Bobcats picked up that option months ago to increase his salary so we could trade him....

KM44 wrote:I feel kind of bad about being so negative toward the bobcats, but I just feel like they are destined to be an absolutely terrible team forever. I know it's a bad time to say this as a kings fan, but at least we have a future. I mean look at just their draft picks: Felton, Morrison, May, Dudley, and they traded for Richardson with their top pick which was 8 if I remember correctly.

This team is just destined for mediocrity. I understand that Morrison was pitiful, but Radman is also pathetic, but he has an enormous terrible contract that will haunt them forever. I know its hard to stick up for your team and put a positive spin on a terrible trade (I did the same thing with the webber trade, which is still haunting us in the form of Kenny Thomas), but this was not good for the team this year, as you guys don't have the talent to make the playoffs this year, this was not a good trade for your future, because Radman will only get worse (not saying Morrison will get better) and it hurts the organization, because this is yet another lateral move by a bad organization.

You sir are a fan of the Kings....your entire franchise had what 6-7 good years and now your back to being WORST than the Bobcats...were a 5 yr old team that has had 3 coaches and no superstars....Dont judge us when you team has been around years and is just as bad if not worse!!....
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 16,165

Post#87 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun Feb 8, 2009 4:33 pm

The Bobcats never would have gotten Foster for Morrison. We just signed Foster to an extension, why would we turn around and trade him for a useless expiring? -_-
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#88 » by tviper » Sun Feb 8, 2009 4:48 pm

VladRad is a good addition for Charlotte. He can shoot, can play the 3 or 4, and is a really great guy. He is very active in the community, helping kids and giving back. Lakers did this deal in part because they like Vlad and wanted him to get some playing time. I can't imagine they are interested that much in AMMO, so I would expect to see him traded before the deadline for a big with a similar contract. As for the Lakers re-signing Odom, I don't see it. Ariza for sure, but the luxury tax hit will be too high to bring Odom back as Bynum's $12.5M kicks in next year.
Kosar86
Assistant Coach
And1: 33

Post#89 » by Kosar86 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 4:50 pm

Question, which level was more extreme....Jordan's greatness as a player or his awfulness (if thats a word) as a GM?
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#90 » by loserX » Sun Feb 8, 2009 5:31 pm

misterglover wrote:You idiots know abosolutely nothing about the Bobcats.....your just speaking out your asses...First Jordan cant be fired, he isnt the GM...thats Rod Higgins....Jordan is part owner and I dont think he's gonna fire himself

This is not quite true. Jordan is a minority owner, and minority owners can still be forced out (cf. Steve Belkin). That said, it's still probably never going to happen.

misterglover wrote:yet to hear you idiots on this board talk we were 1-81

Also false. Nobody has said that. Calm down, and knock off the insults. Nobody else has sunk to that level.

misterglover wrote:and for the first time people in Charlotte are actually showing a little interest in the Bobcats, so what if we sneak in and lose in the first round a playoff trip is gonna attract buzz here in town, make $$ for the franchise and put us on national TV for like only the 3 or 4th time in our history.....

This is true. For most franchises, a first-round playoff knockout is not a major victory...but for the Bobcats it is. Waiting until the offseason to drive up Morrison's value would probably NOT be the best thing the team could have done.

That said, this is a big gamble. What if the Bobcats DON'T make the playoffs? They are tied into a lot of contracts that will be difficult to move...so they'd better be happy with the roster they have.

misterglover wrote:You sir are a fan of the Kings....your entire franchise had what 6-7 good years and now your back to being WORST than the Bobcats...were a 5 yr old team that has had 3 coaches and no superstars....Dont judge us when you team has been around years and is just as bad if not worse!!....

Ridiculous. "If your team is bad, you can't call our team bad"? Of course they can.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 16,340

Post#91 » by shrink » Sun Feb 8, 2009 5:37 pm

DGrangeRx33 wrote:The Bobcats never would have gotten Foster for Morrison. We just signed Foster to an extension, why would we turn around and trade him for a useless expiring? -_-

He asked for an example of the price. I said that if a team was looking to cut salary (and IND isn't necessarily willing to do that), a decent player on a fair contract is what they could look for. Foster is priced just like that -- good, but not great player .. good, but not great contract, that extends into 2011, and he's one of a very small list of guys who's salary matches and has a 2010-11 year.

I also don't think ANY expiring is "useless" .. particularly one that happens before the summer of 2010.
shrink
RealGM

Post#92 » by shrink » Sun Feb 8, 2009 5:45 pm

The argument of how bad Morrisson is, to me, is really irrelevant. Send him home, and never play him again. His trade value still goes higher than trading for a negative value player if CHA simply waits a few months.

The argument of how important getting a 1st round exit from the play-offs carries some weight. It doesn't make tactical sense. The Bobcats aren't making a better move for their future here on the court, and the added revenues from a a few play-off losses, in seats and merchandise, probably don't justify the cost. However, perhaps there is a subjective value for throwing this money in the street now, rather than get something better this summer. I don't think so, but if it makes CHA fans happy to .. ugghhhh .. acquire Vlad Rad, maybe that has some value.
shrink
RealGM

Post#93 » by shrink » Sun Feb 8, 2009 5:49 pm

Finally, if CHA was so desperate to move Morrisson, why not take that contract to NYK, to be part of a Curry-David Lee trade? The Knicks have great use for a deal expiring in 2010 (unlike LAL), and it would make sense to compensate CHA for it.

Morrison, Felton (rfa), May (rfa/exp)?

If CHA really has money to burn in 2010-11, why not burn it for something more useful?
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 16,165

Post#94 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun Feb 8, 2009 5:51 pm

shrink wrote:
DGrangeRx33 wrote:The Bobcats never would have gotten Foster for Morrison. We just signed Foster to an extension, why would we turn around and trade him for a useless expiring? -_-

He asked for an example of the price. I said that if a team was looking to cut salary (and IND isn't necessarily willing to do that), a decent player on a fair contract is what they could look for. Foster is priced just like that -- good, but not great player .. good, but not great contract, that extends into 2011, and he's one of a very small list of guys who's salary matches and has a 2010-11 year.

I also don't think ANY expiring is "useless" .. particularly one that happens before the summer of 2010.

I meant useless as in a terrible player who wouldn't get off the bench in Indy.
SamBone
Lead Assistant
And1: 4

Post#95 » by SamBone » Sun Feb 8, 2009 6:04 pm

Look at the deals the current Bobcats front office has made.

Diaw and Bell for JRich added 6.5 mil to the cap
Ammo for VladRad trade got them an extra year and an extra $10 mil on the cap
Carroll for Diop deal picked them up an extra $11 mil over the same amount of years

and don't forget last year when they traded Herrmans expiring and Brezec's expiring for Nazr which was added 3 more years and totaled an extra $19.5 mill

This is what Larry does. Look at his history and the cap hell all his former teams were in when he stabbed them in the back.
2012 GMAT Christmas Edition : OKC Thunder

PG: DWill / Bayless
SG: DWade / VC / Grant Hill
SF: KD / MWP
PF: Ibaka / Landry
C : DMC / Dalembert / Kelly Olynyk

draft rites to Serey Karaey
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,351

Post#96 » by countryboi » Sun Feb 8, 2009 6:07 pm

shrink wrote:Finally, if CHA was so desperate to move Morrisson, why not take that contract to NYK, to be part of a Curry-David Lee trade? The Knicks have great use for a deal expiring in 2010 (unlike LAL), and it would make sense to compensate CHA for it.

Morrison, Felton (rfa), May (rfa/exp)?

If CHA really has money to burn in 2010-11, why not burn it for something more useful?

I am sorry that the bobcats didnt feed your need to be a armchair GM..but if we did that NY deal you would be here saying the same thing about how stupid it was..let the trade play itself out....the bobcats dont just need to make the playoffs they just need success and to put a quality product on the court..morrison was not helping and radmanovic should help..its has simple as that
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 554

Post#97 » by raleigh » Sun Feb 8, 2009 6:13 pm

the bobcats dont just need to make the playoffs they just need success and to put a quality product on the court..morrison was not helping and radmanovic should help..its has simple as that

I live a couple of hours from Charlotte and know many people from the city who couldn't care less about the Bobcats. I can't think of a single person who is now excited about the Bobcats because they added Vlad.

Sorry, but potential Bobcats' fans in the NC area are avid basketball fans, and they aren't stupid. Charlotte's problem from day one has been a lack of any real direction. That continues to this day.
KM44
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#98 » by KM44 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 7:28 pm

K, well I seem to be the only adamant person that thinks that the bobcats are idiots without question. I just don't understand how you can defend trades like this and say that you will be able to win when you draft a superstar. So far, I would say that you guys are inept at scouting and drafting, so chances are there is a better chance of getting another Adam morrison, or maybe a raymond felton, oh, or even a sean may. I don't understand how you could defend such an idiotic front office.
Nicky Nix Nook wrote:In two years:

Thompson > Aldridge
SamBone
Lead Assistant
And1: 4

Post#99 » by SamBone » Sun Feb 8, 2009 7:45 pm

KM44 wrote:K, well I seem to be the only adamant person that thinks that the bobcats are idiots without question. I just don't understand how you can defend trades like this and say that you will be able to win when you draft a superstar. So far, I would say that you guys are inept at scouting and drafting, so chances are there is a better chance of getting another Adam morrison, or maybe a raymond felton, oh, or even a sean may. I don't understand how you could defend such an idiotic front office.

Thank you for making my point more clear. This is what I was trying to say
2012 GMAT Christmas Edition : OKC Thunder

PG: DWill / Bayless
SG: DWade / VC / Grant Hill
SF: KD / MWP
PF: Ibaka / Landry
C : DMC / Dalembert / Kelly Olynyk

draft rites to Serey Karaey
CatNation
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#100 » by CatNation » Sun Feb 8, 2009 7:51 pm

anyone who still says the diaw bell/jrich trade was bad for the bobcats might as well never talk about the Cats again because you clearly have no idea what you are talking about

Return to Trades and Transactions