MN-GSW draft day

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Rashoismydad
Junior
And1: 78

MN-GSW draft day 

Post#1 » by Rashoismydad » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:06 pm

This is under the assumption the warriors get the 5th spot in the lotto and miss Favors/Cousins.

MN out: Jefferson, Gomes, #16
MN in: Randolph, Maggette, Wright #5

Can also leave Gomes/Wright out of the deal and it works. I added it because gomes contract is not guaranteed and he can be cut and save the warriors about 4M.
Shadilay
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,996

Re: MN-GSW draft day 

Post#2 » by gswhoops » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:37 pm

Jefferson isn't worth Randolph and a drop from 5 to 16.
don nelson
Head Coach
And1: 3

Post#3 » by don nelson » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:45 pm

gswhoops wrote:Jefferson isn't worth Randolph and a drop from 5 to 16.

+1. Minny will need to include their own lottery pick rather than #16 for GSW to consider.
Rashoismydad
Junior

Post#4 » by Rashoismydad » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:51 pm

So you are saying if the wolves wanted to swap Jefferson for Randolph/Maggette the wolves would have to add the value of swapping their lotto pick for the lower GSW lotto pick? lols.

If you want to say its not worth it to move down from 5 to 16 thats fine. But to say the wolves would have to trade down in the lotto PLUS send Jefferson for Randolph/Maggette....go to rehab.
Shadilay
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#5 » by SO_MONEY » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:54 pm

Minnesota passes not worth taking on the contracts to get Randolph. The breakdown by GSW fans may be right something may need to be added but both sides would never agree on what and I wouldn't even be intrested in the deal unless the bad contracts were taken out so both sides stand pat.
don nelson
Head Coach

Post#6 » by don nelson » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:55 pm

Rashoismydad wrote:So you are saying if the wolves wanted to swap Jefferson for Randolph/Maggette the wolves would have to add the value of swapping their lotto pick for the lower GSW lotto pick? lols.

If you want to say its not worth it to move down from 5 to 16 thats fine. But to say the wolves would have to trade down in the lotto PLUS send Jefferson for Randolph/Maggette....go to rehab.

I'm not going to rehab and I don't value Jefferson as much as you do. Minnesota needs to upgrade their offer by removing #16 and replacing it with their own lottery pick if you want the Warriors to seriously consider this deal. Otherwise Minny needs to find another team for Al.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,733

Post#7 » by shrink » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:04 pm

As I see it,

Jefferson + $1 mil cap space > Maggette + Randolph + Wright.

I'm OK with people saying its equal. However

#2 >> #5

gswhoops made a reasonable decline. I think you overstate it when you say that GSW won't even consider it unless MIN's #2 is in the deal.

The first was a legitimate offer. gswhoops was a legitimate refusal. Yours was way way over the top.
don nelson
Head Coach

Post#8 » by don nelson » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:16 pm

shrink wrote:As I see it,

#2 >> #5

gswhoops made a reasonable decline. I think you overstate it when you say that GSW won't even consider it unless MIN's #2 is in the deal.

The first was a legitimate offer. gswhoops was a legitimate refusal. Yours was way way over the top.

I would rather let the lower costing Randolph and Wright who are 20 and 22 develop at PF than commit the kind of cap space to Jefferson requires since Golden State's not in a win now mode.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#9 » by john2jer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:17 pm

I'm coming to the belief that gswhoops is about the only Warriors fan without a drinking problem. The rest seriously have me wondering where their heads are.

I'm curious, though.

How does Tayshaun Prince's value compare to Corey Maggette? I would think Prince would have more value because of his expiring contract, defense, and not being a blackhole.

And if Jefferson for Prince/#7 is fair value, wouldn't Jefferson have more value than Maggette/#5?

So then it becomes Gomes/#16/That extra Jeff value for Randolph/Wright?

Doesn't seem terribly off to me. Take out Wright and Gomes, add in Utah's pick?

Jefferson/#16/#23 for Randolph/Maggette/#5
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
john2jer
RealGM

Post#10 » by john2jer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:19 pm

Although don nelson just made his first good point ever. The Warriors aren't in "win-now" mode, and likely won't be for a couple years, at least until the real Don Nelson is sent packing.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Rashoismydad
Junior

Post#11 » by Rashoismydad » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:22 pm

don nelson wrote:

#2 >> #5

I would rather let the lower costing Randolph and Wright who are 20 and 22 develop at PF than commit the kind of cap space to Jefferson requires since Golden State's not in a win now mode.

Wolves are taking Maggette and his big contract back, and offering salary relief in Gomes non guaranteed contract.

I dont know why I am wasting my time trying to explain this to you.
Shadilay
BringBackKorver
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#12 » by BringBackKorver » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:24 pm

john2jer wrote:I'm coming to the belief that gswhoops is about the only Warriors fan without a drinking problem. The rest seriously have me wondering where their heads are.

I'm curious, though.

How does Tayshaun Prince's value compare to Corey Maggette? I would think Prince would have more value because of his expiring contract, defense, and not being a blackhole.

And if Jefferson for Prince/#7 is fair value, wouldn't Jefferson have more value than Maggette/#5?

They value Randolph's potential more than you can comprehend. It's not a bad thing, because he does seem to have a bright future. Teams value their prospects more than anyone else in the league. If you still don't get it, ask them a list of players they would trade Anthony Randolph for. They value him like we value Jrue + Thad put together because he is young with a huge upside.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#13 » by old rem » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:29 pm

Rashoismydad wrote:So you are saying if the wolves wanted to swap Jefferson for Randolph/Maggette the wolves would have to add the value of swapping their lotto pick for the lower GSW lotto pick? lols.

I'll pass on the rehab...I hear they don't allow no whiskey there. Screw that.

Jefferson's game just does not fit our needs. I'd MUCH rather have Randolph + Maggette.
I've SEEN the Wolves "defense" with Al Jeff. TURNSTILE. I like his scoring...BUT...in this we're trading Maggette's scoring...so we fail to gain.

We are quite aware that the Wolves have a peculiar dilemma. Al Jeff and Love both score and rebound and NEITHER is a true C or of much worth on D. It's not in our interest to fix their problem. It's not in our interest to lock into a PF who becomes a liability on D. Our D is shaky enough as is.

GSW trading a HIGH pick for one too low to get us a guy I want....no thanks. AFTER the draw for spots,I MIGHT do a trade down,but NOT in a deal where I don't even like the other parts. WITH NO Picks...I'd reject this one.
CENSORED... No comment.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by SO_MONEY » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:31 pm

john2jer wrote:I'm coming to the belief that gswhoops is about the only Warriors fan without a drinking problem. The rest seriously have me wondering where their heads are.

I'm curious, though.

Have you seen Maggette's contract I still don't make the deal. I like Randolph but he will need to get paid and the 5th pick is nice no problems with it. I just can't see any team paying Maggette over 10mil a year for the next three years. I would offer Jefferson Gomes and Ellington for the deal above if you look at things without rose colored glasses GSW is going to have some issues here in the future and I just don't see why we take on their bad contracts to set them up while overpaying to do so.
shrink
RealGM

Post#15 » by shrink » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:47 pm

don nelson wrote:

#2 >> #5

This is another ridiculous statement because Maggette's expensive deal is also included. GSW would actually be saving cap space in the deal now, and far more when they need to pay Randolph and Wright's contracts in a couple years.
shrink
RealGM

Post#16 » by shrink » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:53 pm

old rem wrote: Jefferson's game just does not fit our needs.

Sure. With GSW's dominant low-post scoring Biedrins, and their -9.65 RPG differential, I'm sure they have no need for the 20-10 Jefferson.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/sortable_ ... &prd=1#top

I can understand GSW being the worst team in the NBA giving up rebounds because of pace, but how in the world are you also last in the league in team rebounds yourself with that pace?
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#17 » by old rem » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:59 pm

I'm curious, though.

i had a drinking problem just last night. i wanted a 6 pack and the car had a dead battery.
i had fancied a ham on rye and a bottle of porter for dinner. Had to settle for coffee. :(

Prince scored a whoppin' 11 ppg this year,and with the Piston's former unity/system gone,his defensive impact was much less. Black hole? Maggette's game changed a lot after the S Jax trade. He doubled his assists,cut his 3's in half,raised his scoring and 3 pt %.. He played better overall than he has in several years. Prince....however..had his worst season in awhile. Prince would be basically a TEMP. Maggette just gave us 20 ppg and over 50% fg...and he DID pass,he also hustled on D. i see no urgency at all to make him go away.

GSW is currently in the #4 slot. The actual lotto draw can turn that into anything from #1 to #7.
i see assets I rather LIKE in the area of picks 1-6. I could see a trade down to #10,if we get incentives,but #16 is not a value part of this draft.
CENSORED... No comment.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by SO_MONEY » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:04 pm

Thats ok you can keep Maggette then if he is so good.
john2jer
RealGM

Post#19 » by john2jer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:05 pm

The premise of the trade was GSW's at #5 after the lottery.

So if Maggette had such a great season, and Prince was so terrible, are you saying the rest of the Pistons are that much better than the rest of the Warriors?

But if the Warriors want to hang on to Maggette, then that kills the deal right there, and it doesn't matter what the value is.

Sorry on the dead battery, though. Sounds like an alcohol crisis. I've never been there, my favorite liquor store is less than a block away.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#20 » by turk3d » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:32 pm

Not giving up Randolph (or Wright) to trade Maggette who at just 3 remaining years is no longer a killer contract especially for what he brings (to fg % of all SFs in the league this season along with overall improved team play).
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice

Return to Trades and Transactions