Wolves/Nets/Sixers Draft Day Blockbuster - No Turner

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

njncarter15
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Re: Wolves/Nets/Sixers Draft Day Blockbuster - No Turner 

Post#21 » by njncarter15 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:41 pm

I think there's too many PF available in FA (Lee, Boozer, Amare, Bosh) and with our pick (Favors, Cousins) to have the need to swap T-Will for Love. I'm a big T-Will fan, so I'd probably have to say no to this one just because of positional value this offseason
doctor him
Assistant Coach
And1: 421

Post#22 » by doctor him » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:42 am

BringBackKorver wrote:Who are you going to pay then? Kaman is an all star and is on a short contract, Tony Parker is the same. Yao makes more money sitting on the bench than 99% of the league, so no matter what the contract is he's never overpaid. You wouldn't pay David west 8.2 this year and 7.5 next?

You miss my point, but that's my fault.

I'm not talking about Kaman as his contract sits now, but 5 years ago when he signed that $60 million+ contract it wasn't looking that great. Now that he had a fine year and is an expiring he looks great.

Look at Zach Randolph who was radioactive last year. A good year and a shorter contract and he looks a whole lot better.

Contracts look fine when they end, but IMHO you have to look at the whole picture.

My point is that rookie contracts are the best value in the game, but when guys sign their 2nd contract they are paid on potential and expectation of growth. Oftimes they fall short of projection. And when guys sign their 3rd contract they are paid more on reputation and are on the downside of their career.

But...you have to have those 2nd and 3rd contract guys to win anything because no one wins without vets..
doctor him
Assistant Coach
And1: 421

Post#23 » by doctor him » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:46 am

shrink wrote:
dcash4 wrote:
shrink wrote:Now I don't think Iguodala is necessarily overpaid, but I think we can all agree that he's no bargain either. Its hard to say, "he'll be fine as a #2," when he's still paid like a #1.

iggy makes 12-13 mil. thats not number one money.

lakers, celtics, suns, magic all have number 2's making more than that. if your best player makes 12 mil, he's either a rookie about to make more than that, or you aren't anywhere close to contending.

But you're talking about Championship level, veteran teams, Mr. Laker fan!

In fact, there are only 9 NBA teams where Iguodala's $12.3 mil contract wouldn't be the second most expensive contract on the team. In fact, he would be THE #1 most expensive guy on eight teams!

Yes, some of these guys are on younger contracts. So what? Does that make Chris Paul less valuable? Does it mean people wouldn't prefer trading for Derek Rose?

In the NBA marketplace, a buyer can choose between all players, and the prices and values will be compared not just to other third-contract, difference-making, redheads, but to the entire market of NBA players.

Yeah...I'm sure every owner would love to have a squad full of guys on their rookie contract all top 5 picks to win a title on the cheap.

Unfortunately...no other team is willing to give up those kind of high picks to make sure their competition can get cheap talent.

Which is why the Sixers are not and will not deal the #2 pick.

Return to Trades and Transactions