If Paul is truely on the block

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

tbg
Junior
And1: 0

Re: If Paul is truely on the block 

Post#41 » by tbg » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:34 pm

I would think that if Paul were traded (and I don't think he will be) it would be to a team that can offer lots of assets without gutting itself entirely, and it seems to me the teams with the most assets to offer are Houston, Portland, and Orlando.

Taking Portland for an example, Portland would likely offer a package that included just about anyone but Roy. Their tradeable assets include:

-Young players: Aldridge, Oden, Batum, Fernandez, Bayless, Babbit, Cunningham, Pendergraph, Elliot Williams, Armon Johnson, Patty Mills
-Expirings: Przybilla, Andre Miller (with team option for 2011)
-Picks
-Foreign rights: Victor Claver, Joel Freeland, Petteri Koponen

With that array of assets, I would think Portland could offer a more attractive rebuilding package than a team like NJ or Charlotte, and still keep enough talent to give Paul something to work with.

I doubt Paul gets traded, but if he does, I'm guessing it will be to a team like Portland, Orlando, or Houston.
deviljets7
Lead Assistant
And1: 24

Post#42 » by deviljets7 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Hoopalotta wrote:I am simply stunned by this claim.

The Key for the Nets is to make the trade while putting themselves in position to nab a key free agent next year (which likely means my inclusion of Posey was a bad idea).

Despite all the free agents signings they made this summer, NJ still has about $15 million in cap space now. As a result I believe this deal works under the cap (just barely).

Harris, Favors and Terrence Williams for Paul and Peja.

Now on the surface, it looks worse for the Hornets than your proposal (with Posey) since Peja is an expiring, but I disagree. Yes, Posey has the extra year, but Peja actually has more money left on the contract. If the major lockout we all expect occurs, the savings could become even better (since Posey obviously wouldn't get paid during a lockout).

For NJ, while taking Peja kills their flexibility for 2010 and leaves them with the worst PF situation in the league, they would have roughly $15-16 million in cap space for 2011/12. While it's not the Miami trio, a group of Paul, Brook Lopez and either Melo or Horford in FA is pretty formidable and better than anything Paul played with in NOH.
enetric wrote:You have the perfect fat% to sit on your butt, eat crap and WATCH someone else do it though. Hell, at that body fat% you might be a starter.
Stun704
Lead Assistant
And1: 226

Post#43 » by Stun704 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:49 pm

Nets aren't getting Paul through trade, sorry. basically the nets have to give up their whole roster for Paul, if they were a 13 win with their current roster, how many wins do you think they would have with scrubs + CP3 + Emeka + Lopez? :lol: + Okafor can't play PF at all, so bascially you're looking at okafor or lopez on the bench. so basically its CP3+ Lopez + scrubs for the starting line up
Pimpwerx wrote:I was a fan of the Lakers...Yankees... It took me almost a decade to become a fan of the Miami teams...I know it's frowned upon, but if you can look at it as an outsider, it's easier to understand why it happens. PEACE.
Stun704
Lead Assistant

Post#44 » by Stun704 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:51 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Stun704 wrote:Sadly that doesn't top the Cha Deal, it doesn't help out NO needs at all except Terrance Williams, and bobs can top that, plus Bobs can offer more cap relief... Why would NO trade Cp3 to get Devin harris back? the point of trading CP3 is to get collison to start, not to get another starter ahead of him.

And that doesn't leave crap for NJ if they do get CP3, it would just lead to mediocrity and him bouncing in 2 years.. the difference is, Bobs could trade and not have a garbage team after.

How can Charlotte offer more cap relief than NJ?
NJ still has close to $15m in cap space, more than any other team.

So Gerald Wallace, Augustin and Mohammed is your best offer?
Who would that leave for Paul to play with?

Paul / Livingston
G.Henderson / Carroll
S.Jackson / Najera
Ty Thomas/ Diaw
Diop

Meanwhile if NJ offers (and yes this could be a 3 way to reroute Harris)
Harris, T.Williams, Favors + Massive TPE for Paul + West/Okafor/Peja

that would leave....

Paul / Farmar
C.Lee / Morrow
Outlaw / D.James
D.West / Humphries
B.Lopez / Petro

That looks a little better.

You're forgetting about Dampier which is 13 million in unguaranteed expirings, then Nazr Mohammed which is 7 million in expirings, with those two going out you're also forgetting the contracts we would be taking back, So CHA can relieve NO For more caps and then at the same time give them players they need to fill out their roster, while on the flip side giving CP3 a squad thats not totally gutted.
deviljets7
Lead Assistant
And1: 24

Post#45 » by deviljets7 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:00 pm

Stun704 wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:
Stun704 wrote:Sadly that doesn't top the Cha Deal, it doesn't help out NO needs at all except Terrance Williams, and bobs can top that, plus Bobs can offer more cap relief... Why would NO trade Cp3 to get Devin harris back? the point of trading CP3 is to get collison to start, not to get another starter ahead of him.

And that doesn't leave crap for NJ if they do get CP3, it would just lead to mediocrity and him bouncing in 2 years.. the difference is, Bobs could trade and not have a garbage team after.

How can Charlotte offer more cap relief than NJ?

Paul / Livingston
G.Henderson / Carroll
S.Jackson / Najera
Ty Thomas/ Diaw
Diop

that would leave....

Paul / Farmar
C.Lee / Morrow
Outlaw / D.James
D.West / Humphries
B.Lopez / Petro

You're forgetting about Dampier which is 13 million in unguaranteed expirings, then Nazr Mohammed which is 7 million in expirings, with those two going out you're also forgetting the contracts we would be taking back, So CHA can relieve NO For more caps and then at the same time give them players they need to fill out their roster, while on the flip side giving CP3 a squad thats not totally gutted.

A squad that is not totally gutted? What else would you call a roster with Diop and Gerald Henderson starting? :lol:
enetric wrote:You have the perfect fat% to sit on your butt, eat crap and WATCH someone else do it though. Hell, at that body fat% you might be a starter.
Stun704
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by Stun704 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:10 pm

deviljets7 wrote:
Stun704 wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:How can Charlotte offer more cap relief than NJ?

Paul / Livingston
G.Henderson / Carroll
S.Jackson / Najera
Ty Thomas/ Diaw
Diop

that would leave....

Paul / Farmar
C.Lee / Morrow
Outlaw / D.James
D.West / Humphries
B.Lopez / Petro

A squad that is not totally gutted? What else would you call a roster with Diop and Gerald Henderson starting? :lol:

Obviously he butchered our trade most likely we would trade, Dampier + Mohammed + Gerald Henderson + Derrick brown + DJ augustin + '14 + '16 First round picks

we would get back CP3 + Okafor + Posey(maybe)

CP3/Livingston/Collins
Jax/Hughes/Carrol
Crash/Posey
TT/Diaw/Najera
Okafor/FA C(Kurt Thomas)/Diop

Thats way better then the NJ squad.
Pimpwerx wrote:I was a fan of the Lakers...Yankees... It took me almost a decade to become a fan of the Miami teams...I know it's frowned upon, but if you can look at it as an outsider, it's easier to understand why it happens. PEACE.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#47 » by Trader_Joe » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:12 pm

Stun704 wrote:You're forgetting about Dampier which is 13 million in unguaranteed expirings, then Nazr Mohammed which is 7 million in expirings, with those two going out you're also forgetting the contracts we would be taking back, So CHA can relieve NO For more caps and then at the same time give them players they need to fill out their roster, while on the flip side giving CP3 a squad thats not totally gutted.

$15m in cap space is better than Dampier's $13m
Not only is 15 > 13, the $15m would be a massive trade exception.. Dampier is only waived to save the team $13m and does not allow them to get a trade exception to use to actually improve the team. The Nets also have expirers such as Humphries and Ross.
NJ also have the following picks to offer:
All of their 1st and 2nd rounder
1st from GS
2nds from Miami, GS and Chicago.
Didn't Charlotte trade a future 1st?
Do they have any from other teams?
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#48 » by Trader_Joe » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:15 pm

Stun704 wrote:CP3/Livingston/Collins
Jax/Hughes/Carrol
Crash/Posey
TT/Diaw/Najera

I think Charlotte is rather tax adverse and are on record for saying they would like to avoid it. See the Dampier trade this year, and Chandler trade last year as examples.

What is the payroll of that team?

And now you are down to Gerald H. and Augustin? NOH has Thorton and Collison.
And they have to wait how long for those pick? The world is supposed to end by then!
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Stun704
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by Stun704 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:21 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Stun704 wrote:You're forgetting about Dampier which is 13 million in unguaranteed expirings, then Nazr Mohammed which is 7 million in expirings, with those two going out you're also forgetting the contracts we would be taking back, So CHA can relieve NO For more caps and then at the same time give them players they need to fill out their roster, while on the flip side giving CP3 a squad thats not totally gutted.

Not only is 15 > 13, the $15m would be a massive trade exception.. Dampier is only waived to save the team $13m and does not allow them to get a trade exception to use to actually improve the team. The Nets also have expirers such as Humphries and Ross.
?

Too bad you ignored the fact Hump is 3 million, Ross is 1 Million, then + your 15 million is 19 million...

Charlotte has 13 million in damp + 7 million in Nazr mohammed + DJ augustin and Gerald Henderson both have team options for next year which equal 5 million, add all of that together its 25 Million... So cats win in cap relief.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#50 » by Trader_Joe » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:23 pm

Stun704 wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:

1st from GS

Too bad you ignored the fact Hump is 3 million, Ross is 1 Million, then + your 15 million is 19 million...

Charlotte has 13 million in damp + 7 million in Nazr mohammed + DJ augustin and Gerald Henderson both have team options for next year which equal 5 million, add all of that together its 25 Million... So cats win in cap relief.

TPE >> Expirer
And great logic.. the only two actual assets you want to send them (Augustin and Henderson) you want to point out have team options and can just be expirers.
So essentially NOH should just trade Paul for $25m in expirers? I think Indy has you beat then.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Stun704
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by Stun704 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Stun704 wrote:CP3/Livingston/Collins
Jax/Hughes/Carrol
Crash/Posey
TT/Diaw/Najera

I think Charlotte is rather tax adverse and are on record for saying they would like to avoid it. See the Dampier trade this year, and Chandler trade last year as examples.

What is the payroll of that team?

And now you are down to Gerald H. and Augustin? NOH has Thorton and Collison.
And they have to wait how long for those pick? The world is supposed to end by then!

The thing is if NOH wants a PG back, they don't want a starting caliber PG back, they would want a back up PG, if they wanted a starting caliber PG they would just keep CP3, DJ backing up collison and on a rookie contract is more valuable then taking devin harris back. If they wanted to play all the young-ins, and getting derrick brown, they could either move thorton to the 3, and then put Henderson as the 2, or move Derrick brown to the starting line up.
Stun704
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by Stun704 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:25 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Stun704 wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:$15m in cap space is better than Dampier's $13m
1st from GS

TPE >> Expirer
And great logic.. the only two actual assets you want to send them (Augustin and Henderson) you want to point out have team options and can just be expirers.
So essentially NOH should just trade Paul for $25m in expirers? I think Indy has you beat then.

Is it really though? Dampier can asorb any contract they wana give our way, and get instant relief, so maybe Dampiers contract would be more valuable then a 15 million TPE, with the TPE you would be asorbing Okafors contract and wouldn't take any other contracts back with the remainig 4 or 3 million TPE, with Dampiers contract they will be losing Okafors contract then instantly being relieved of 13 million in salary cap, with the TPE they would just be relieved of Okafors contract which would be around 10 million
if it was a bidding war with indy we could just send them crash which tops anything they have to offer, they get a all star caliber SF.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#53 » by Trader_Joe » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:25 pm

Stun704 wrote:The thing is if NOH wants a PG back, they don't want a starting caliber PG back, they would want a back up PG, if they wanted a starting caliber PG they would just keep CP3, DJ backing up collison and on a rookie contract is more valuable then taking devin harris back. If they wanted to play all the young-ins, and getting derrick brown, they could either move thorton to the 3, and then put Henderson as the 2, or move Derrick brown to the starting line up.

And the tax aspect?
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,499

Post#54 » by GoBobs » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Jordan has said it doesn't make sense to pay the tax unless we put together a contending team. I think that would be a contending team. To answer your question it has a payroll of 80 mil, 90 mil after the tax is paid out.

Here is the problem for NJ as I see it. I don't think they would value Harris that much because he is not on a rookie deal and I doubt they get excited about Lee. NJ has a lot of strong young assets and could trump the Bobcats offer by throwing in say Lopez, T-Will, Favors or some combination. It would take at least two of those guys if not all three. However to make the trade happen they would have to take back Oak, and Posey. That would mean it would be very hard for them to build a contender around Paul. They couldn't go after Melo next summer because Posey, Oak, Paul, Outlaw, Harris doesn't leave enough cap space to add a big time free agent. Not to mention Farmar and Petro. So the question becomes can the Nets win with that team. My guess is they could make a good playoff run but wouldn't have enough to contend for a championship. If the team isn't good enough Paul could walk in two years and NJ would have given away its good young talent for nothing.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#55 » by whysoserious » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:51 pm

I know the Miami Trio just got together but if they don't win it this year for whatever reason, Wade for Paul and another piece. I'm not buying the Wade and Lebron can play together. Paul would balance out that team perfectly.

Return to Trades and Transactions