Sheridan: Jennings for Thad Young deal being discussed

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,214

Sheridan: Jennings for Thad Young deal being discussed 

Post#1 » by Laimbeer » Fri Feb 5, 2016 1:39 am

Brandon Jennings could very well end up in Brooklyn two weeks from now in a trade that would send Thaddeus Young to the Detroit Pistons, sources tell SheridanHoops.com.

There are several teams looking to acquire Jennings, who has been a starter most of his career but is currently stuck behind Reggie Jackson on Detroit’s depth chart. He will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

Brooklyn is one of the teams with the biggest need at point guard after losing Jarrett Jack for the season to a knee injury. The Nets are willing to give Jennings a long-term contract as they begin the process of rebuilding following the reign of error directed by Billy King.

The Nets may need to give the Pistons an additional player, the source said, adding that the back end of the trade would be where the Nets could outbid another team. Detroit has Steve Blake to plug in behind Jackson in the playoffs, but Blake is on an expiring contract. Shane Larkin, who has a $1.5 million player option for next season, could be added to the trade.

Or Brooklyn could throw in Jack, who would serve as Jackson’s backup next season if the Pistons picked up his $6.3 million team option. Detroit would have to add additional salary to make such a deal work, but they have two expendable big contracts in Jodie Meeks and Reggie Bullock.

The trade talks were disclosed by a league source who spoke on condition of anonymity. The source said numerous other teams were also pursuing Jennings.

Read more at http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2016/02/04/sources-brandon-jennings-to-brooklyn-being-discussed/#cozBHBmJGQllgc1E.99

SVG was very annoyed when asked about this, leading some local media to speculate it was hitting too close to home.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/David_Mayo/status/695373292048224256[/tweet]
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,047

Re: Sheridan: Jennings for Thad Young deal being discussed 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Feb 5, 2016 1:45 am

I think Thad Young is best suited as a backup forward--which I think he would be in Detroit so I actually like the idea of this. Detroit can reduce the minutes on some of the guys they are currently overplaying and Brooklyn gets out of the Thad Young money. And I'd assume they could get Tolliver back to carry them through the year. And this gives them a closer look at Jennings before they invest major money in him.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,965

Post#3 » by K_chile22 » Fri Feb 5, 2016 1:45 am

I don't think it really makes much sense for DET

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,831

Post#4 » by stitches » Fri Feb 5, 2016 1:47 am

This makes no sense for Brooklyn unless they are getting a pick with it. Why would they give up their second best asset for a 2 months rental after which Jennings will most probably bolt to a team in a better situation?
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#5 » by Laimbeer » Fri Feb 5, 2016 1:53 am

Texas Chuck wrote:I think Thad Young is best suited as a backup forward--which I think he would be in Detroit so I actually like the idea of this. Detroit can reduce the minutes on some of the guys they are currently overplaying and Brooklyn gets out of the Thad Young money. And I'd assume they could get Tolliver back to carry them through the year. And this gives them a closer look at Jennings before they invest major money in him.

He's kind of expensive for a backup, isn't he?
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,667

Post#6 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Feb 5, 2016 1:55 am

Best part of this rumor is the Nets Sb site posting "if the Pistons were willing to give the Nets their 2016 and 2017 first round picks…"

And then removing it, possibly after learning about Stepien?
Greenraida
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#7 » by Greenraida » Fri Feb 5, 2016 1:59 am

I love it for detriot, hate it for brooklyn. Depends on the fillers but im not a fan.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#8 » by Laimbeer » Fri Feb 5, 2016 2:03 am

My impression has been Young is your average four being paid like he's a little better than he is. I've never considered him much of an asset, but Net fans or anyone who's seen him more can enlighten me.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 23,242

Post#9 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Feb 5, 2016 2:37 am

I don't "hate" it for the Nets but I feel like they could pry a little something extra.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
kevinhopatcong
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#10 » by kevinhopatcong » Fri Feb 5, 2016 3:04 am

This is pretty much Thad young for an expiring because this is a lost season anyway. Pretty lob sided for the Pistons

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,667

Post#11 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Feb 5, 2016 3:07 am

well, looks like Netsdaily has realized that Stepien exists, and just wants 2 firsts that are non-consecutive now. No word if that desire is also league sourced like their first desire for back to back 1sts.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,322

Post#12 » by Moses ShamMoses » Fri Feb 5, 2016 3:37 am

No way Thad Young is worth even one first rounder let alone two which is laughable (in a deal for Jennings)...he's a good role player that's it.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
Draz3n
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#13 » by Draz3n » Fri Feb 5, 2016 3:43 am

Thad for Jennings and a 1st. That has to be the minimum for the Nets.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst

Post#14 » by Moses ShamMoses » Fri Feb 5, 2016 3:46 am

Draz3n wrote:Thad for Jennings and a 1st. That has to be the minimum for the Nets.

Ok, thats fine but theres most likely no deal then. SVG isnt giving up a first and a talented/useful expiring for a player of Thad's caliber. I think Thads a pretty good player but he's flat out not worth it.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
Draz3n
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#15 » by Draz3n » Fri Feb 5, 2016 3:49 am

Moses ShamMoses wrote:
Draz3n wrote:Thad for Jennings and a 1st. That has to be the minimum for the Nets.

Ok, thats fine but theres most likely no deal then. SVG isnt giving up a first and a talented/useful expiring for a player of Thad's caliber. I think Thads a pretty good player but he's flat out not worth it.

Thats fine as well. Thats as low as the Nets can go imo, and if thats too much for the Pistons, then theres nothing here.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst

Post#16 » by Moses ShamMoses » Fri Feb 5, 2016 3:51 am

Draz3n wrote:
Moses ShamMoses wrote:

Thats fine as well. Thats as low as the Nets can go imo, and if thats too much for the Pistons, then theres nothing here.

SVG has been stingy with draft picks so far in his tenure. He wouldn't give up a first for Reggie Jackson either who is in my opinion a more valuable player. But who the heck really knows how much SVG values Thad...no way to tell unless a deal actually happens.
The59Sound
Head Coach
And1: 917

Post#17 » by The59Sound » Fri Feb 5, 2016 4:40 am

I don't see the value for Brooklyn in a straight swap, but I like Young as a versatile depth piece for the Pistons. However, as others have said, I'm not sure I can see SVG including a pick in the deal.
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

The Quantifiable Connection: An Interstellar fan site.
http://www.quantifiableconnection.com
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#18 » by Laimbeer » Fri Feb 5, 2016 5:27 pm

Not worth another thread, but how about a larger Brooklyn - Detroit deal?

Nets: Jennings, Meeks, Ilyasova, Anthony, Bullock and Tolliver

Pistons: Johnson, Young, and Sloan.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#19 » by Trader_Joe » Fri Feb 5, 2016 5:48 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:No way Thad Young is worth even one first rounder let alone two which is laughable (in a deal for Jennings)...he's a good role player that's it.

He just got a top 10 protected first for Philly two summers ago even tho he was essentially expiring and making a higher percentage of the cap relative to this deal
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#20 » by Laimbeer » Fri Feb 5, 2016 5:54 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Moses ShamMoses wrote:No way Thad Young is worth even one first rounder let alone two which is laughable (in a deal for Jennings)...he's a good role player that's it.

He just got a top 10 protected first for Philly two summers ago even tho he was essentially expiring and making a higher percentage of the cap relative to this deal

And what percentage of the cap did Kanter get? Just because a guy got something at one point doesn't mean he was or is still worth it.

Return to Trades and Transactions