NY/LA/PHX

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

NY/LA/PHX 

Post#1 » by NashtyNas » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:46 am

LA trades Deng, Randle, 2021 1st (unprotected) for Melo
- Melo is likely to opt-out, especially if he's in a place he doesn't want to be. LA creates a boatload of cap space and hopes to retain Melo at a fair price next season so they can bring in his buddy LeBron and Paul George to play with him. If Melo doesn't opt out, they can still add 1 max FA which is easier to do with a guy of Melo's caliber on your team than with Luol Deng.

PHX trades Knight, Warren for Deng, Randle
- Swap bad contracts and underwhelming prospects to open up more playing time for Jackson. Take a flier on Randle. Deng would be the perfect mentor for Jackson who projects to be a top tier defender and slasher as Deng once was.

NY trades Melo for Knight, Warren, LA 2021 1st
- Add an overpaid, disgruntled pointguard for their overpaid, disgruntled forward while netting a young forward and future first in the process. They move on from the Melo-drama while addressing a couple needs and adding a pick.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
asudevil
Analyst
And1: 689

Re: NY/LA/PHX 

Post#2 » by asudevil » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:56 am

I think the suns easily pass on this:

I'd rather pay Knight's 3/45 than Deng's 3/54. And i'd rather have Warren over Randle with Chriss/Bender at PF. With both Warren/Randle up for extensions, I'm much more comfortable spending money on Warren instead of having to justify spending big money on Randle knowing that he restricts the development of both Chriss/Bender.
8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#3 » by 8on » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:49 pm

I don't think the Lakers throw in Randle and an unprotected 1st just to get rid of Deng. I also don't think Melo really fits there, and I don't think this is an appropriate price to pay for cap space, if that's all it is.
patman52
Lead Assistant
And1: 848

Post#4 » by patman52 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:56 pm

dantley4prez wrote:I don't think the Lakers throw in Randle and an unprotected 1st just to get rid of Deng. I also don't think Melo really fits there, and I don't think this is an appropriate price to pay for cap space, if that's all it is.

Who cares about Randle anyway? He is not in the long term plans and getting rid of Deng certainly meets those objectives. But I would not trade an unprotected first in any case, it needs to be at least top 8 protected.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,800

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:49 pm

asudevil wrote:
I'd rather pay Knight's 3/45 than Deng's 3/54.

My first thought too was Deng's money is worse than Knight's. But then you show me the difference is only $9M over 3 years which is nothing. Then you have Knight completely unable to play for the first year. Then you add in Deng is the ultimate professional and a great leader for a young team compared to Knight, who well isn't either of those things.

And all of a sudden I think that swap is pretty darn great for the Suns. In fact the more I think about it the more appealing it becomes for the Suns. I can't really think of a single reason other than a marginal amount of cap space saved that 3rd year to prefer Knight and obviously the other benefits in the deal are worth more than few million in cap space 2 years from now.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,800

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:52 pm

patman52 wrote:
dantley4prez wrote:I don't think the Lakers throw in Randle and an unprotected 1st just to get rid of Deng. I also don't think Melo really fits there, and I don't think this is an appropriate price to pay for cap space, if that's all it is.

Who cares about Randle anyway? He is not in the long term plans and getting rid of Deng certainly meets those objectives. But I would not trade an unprotected first in any case, it needs to be at least top 8 protected.

We already know from multiple reports the Lakers were willing to add an unprotected 1st to dump Deng or Mozgov this off-season, so the pick shouldn't be seen as an issue. And as you say they can't afford Randle's cap hold next year anyway so why not give more minutes now to their young PF's under team control.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
-G-
Analyst
And1: 2,122

Post#7 » by -G- » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:21 pm

I think we would given the Summer 2018 plan, and this makes us a better team next year IMO. Would just need Melo to opt-out prior to trade so he's expiring.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#8 » by Coeur » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:24 pm

You are under valuing Carmelo as a player. AND as a drawing card for Lebron.

I like the deal for the suns only if they plan on flipping randle as part of a kyrie package
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#9 » by NoZoLakers » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:43 pm

I dont mind la price, just dont want melo any where near the team. I dont see him as a positive on a young team like ours and i dont think la needs him to attract james, the banana boat crew stuff is over blown
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#10 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:22 am

BallnIngram wrote:I dont mind la price, just dont want melo any where near the team. I dont see him as a positive on a young team like ours and i dont think la needs him to attract james, the banana boat crew stuff is over blown

KP likes him
Never heard of him being a bad influence rather well liked.

He also makes LAL a possible P.O. team.

Ball
KCP
Ingram
Melo
Lopez
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#11 » by Mamba4Goat » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:44 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
asudevil wrote:
I'd rather pay Knight's 3/45 than Deng's 3/54.

My first thought too was Deng's money is worse than Knight's. But then you show me the difference is only $9M over 3 years which is nothing. Then you have Knight completely unable to play for the first year. Then you add in Deng is the ultimate professional and a great leader for a young team compared to Knight, who well isn't either of those things.

And all of a sudden I think that swap is pretty darn great for the Suns. In fact the more I think about it the more appealing it becomes for the Suns. I can't really think of a single reason other than a marginal amount of cap space saved that 3rd year to prefer Knight and obviously the other benefits in the deal are worth more than few million in cap space 2 years from now.

There is the redudandcy of Dudley already being there for the exact same role that Deng would have. But other than that, I completely agree.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#12 » by NoZoLakers » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:17 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
BallnIngram wrote:I dont mind la price, just dont want melo any where near the team. I dont see him as a positive on a young team like ours and i dont think la needs him to attract james, the banana boat crew stuff is over blown

KP likes him
Never heard of him being a bad influence rather well liked.

He also makes LAL a possible P.O. team.

Ball
KCP
Ingram
Melo
Lopez

I dont want a ball stopper on the team and if he couldnt lead nyk to a playoff in tje weaker east what makes you think hes the difference in la? N theres no chance he opts out, if he did he would know la wouldnt give him a new contract anywhere near his current pay n to sacrifice dlo for one of the max guy to be melo makes that trade even worse

Return to Trades and Transactions