Best Player A Team Would Give For Houston's Non-Guaranteed Contracts and Top 20 Protected 2020 1st?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Best Player A Team Would Give For Houston's Non-Guaranteed Contracts and Top 20 Protected 2020 1st? 

Post#1 » by NYG » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:05 pm

Who is the best player Houston could get for Tim Quarterman, Isaiah Taylor, Shawn Long and their own Top 20 Protected 2020 1st Round Pick?
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Re: Best Player A Team Would Give For Houston's Non-Guaranteed Contracts and Top 20 Protected 2020 1st? 

Post#2 » by HornetJail » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:56 pm

that's only about 4-5 million in salary so you're likely looking at a rookie scale contract or maybe somebody like Will Barton who got weirdly underpaid on his last contract. There aren't a ton of options with that tiny amount of salary going out.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,966

Re: Best Player A Team Would Give For Houston's Non-Guaranteed Contracts and Top 20 Protected 2020 1st? 

Post#3 » by Domejandro » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:58 pm

Will Barton and Kyle O'Quinn are two quick names, but frankly, they are not worth first round draft picks as expirings.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,615

Post#4 » by nomansland » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:01 am

Why would we give Will Barton for that?
NYG
RealGM

Post#5 » by NYG » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:15 am

Adding Onuaku would allow them to take Kyle Singler, any chance OKC adds Ferguson to that exchange then waives all 4 non-guaranteed contracts? Gives them a draft pick for freeing up 2 roster spots and like $6 Million in salary before luxury tax savings.

Houston could start trying build a better deal for Melo with Ferguson there.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#6 » by Resistance » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:33 am

NYG wrote:Adding Onuaku would allow them to take Kyle Singler, any chance OKC adds Ferguson to that exchange then waives all 4 non-guaranteed contracts? Gives them a draft pick for freeing up 2 roster spots and like $6 Million in salary before luxury tax savings.

Houston would be sending out a first round pick + assorted minor contracts for Singler ($9.6 million - salary dump) and Ferguson (#21 - 2017 draft)?
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#7 » by NashtyNas » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:10 am

I'd give Warren for that, though I'm not sure other Suns fans agree.
I just don't see a future for him here with Jackson on board who we want to develop immediately and therefore paying Warren big next summer probably doesn't make sense.

He does however make sense for Houston as a 1 year rental like Washington got in Bogdanovic, or as a piece NY covets more than that first in a Melo trade maybe?

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#8 » by Mamba4Goat » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:45 am

Okafur+?
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
NYG
RealGM

Post#9 » by NYG » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:03 pm

Resistance wrote:
NYG wrote:Adding Onuaku would allow them to take Kyle Singler, any chance OKC adds Ferguson to that exchange then waives all 4 non-guaranteed contracts? Gives them a draft pick for freeing up 2 roster spots and like $6 Million in salary before luxury tax savings.

Houston would be sending out a first round pick + assorted minor contracts for Singler ($9.6 million - salary dump) and Ferguson (#21 - 2017 draft)?

I could see the Knicks having more interest in Ferguson than the Rockets protected 1st.
Resistance
General Manager

Post#10 » by Resistance » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:15 pm

NYG wrote:
Resistance wrote:

I could see the Knicks having more interest in Ferguson than the Rockets protected 1st.

Ferguson + Singler + Anderson + ? would be going to the Knicks?
NYG
RealGM

Post#11 » by NYG » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:22 pm

Resistance wrote:
NYG wrote:
Resistance wrote:

Ferguson would, Morey would figure out the rest.
Resistance
General Manager

Post#12 » by Resistance » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:08 pm

NYG wrote:
Resistance wrote:
NYG wrote:

Ferguson would, Morey would figure out the rest.

Houston would be paying luxury tax for Singler's deadweight contract or have to send compensation to another team to take on the Singler salary dump. Morey is probably not that interested in either of those two choices.
supertruck97
Veteran
And1: 223

Post#13 » by supertruck97 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:21 pm

Resistance wrote:

The Rockets wouldn't be sending out a pick in this scenario. If the Thunder need to dump Singler's contract for pure cap (i.e. NG's to waive), then the Rockets wouldn't also send them a pick for the privilege. That's backwards. The price would be Ferguson (a 20's pick) for Houston to be the salary dump for OKC.

So, NG's for Singler + Ferguson, with the idea that adding Ferguson to the Melo package makes it more enticing to NYk.
NYG
RealGM

Post#14 » by NYG » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:29 pm

supertruck97 wrote:
Resistance wrote:

The Rockets wouldn't be sending out a pick in this scenario. If the Thunder need to dump Singler's contract for pure cap (i.e. NG's to waive), then the Rockets wouldn't also send them a pick for the privilege. That's backwards. The price would be Ferguson (a 20's pick) for Houston to be the salary dump for OKC.

So, NG's for Singler + Ferguson, with the idea that adding Ferguson to the Melo package makes it more enticing to NYk.

Yeah thats make more sense than the original actually.
Resistance
General Manager

Post#15 » by Resistance » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:36 pm

supertruck97 wrote:
Resistance wrote:

I was trying to get clarity on the details of the trade. It isn't my trade idea and just wanted to know explicitly what was being discussed.

A problem with your version is that salary dumping Singler should come at a lower cost than Ferguson. So Houston would need to send something back to OKC to get the valuations being exchanged more in balance.
NYG
RealGM

Post#16 » by NYG » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:45 pm

Resistance wrote:
supertruck97 wrote:
Resistance wrote:

I was trying to get clarity on the details of the trade. It isn't my trade idea and just wanted to know explicitly what was being discussed.

A problem with your version is that salary dumping Singler should come at a lower cost than Ferguson. So Houston would need to send something back to OKC to get the valuations being exchanged more in balance.

Ferguson and Singler for non-guaranteeds and Hartenstein (basically trading down in the draft to dump Singler)

Would Philly take a heavily protected 2020 Houston 1st and Meyers Leonard for Jahlil Okafor and Jerryd Bayless?

If so, I think we're moving closer to a Melo to Houston deal that works.
supertruck97
Veteran
And1: 223

Post#17 » by supertruck97 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:18 pm

NYG wrote:
Resistance wrote:
supertruck97 wrote:

Ferguson and Singler for non-guaranteeds and Hartenstein (basically trading down in the draft to dump Singler)

Would Philly take a heavily protected 2020 Houston 1st and Meyers Leonard for Jahlil Okafor and Jerryd Bayless?

I think Houston would prefer to balance the deal with one of the 2nds they have next year instead of Hartenstein. I think the Rox view him as someone who should have been a 1st and would make a valuable stash with the 2nd round salary structure. I can't say it's a deal breaker, but Morey would probably try the 2nd first.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,827

Post#18 » by psman2 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:35 pm

supertruck97 wrote:
NYG wrote:
Resistance wrote:

I think Houston would prefer to balance the deal with one of the 2nds they have next year instead of Hartenstein. I think the Rox view him as someone who should have been a 1st and would make a valuable stash with the 2nd round salary structure. I can't say it's a deal breaker, but Morey would probably try the 2nd first.

I agree that I don't think Houston would use Hartenstein to bridge the gap in value. Draftexpress actually has Harenstein as the 19th ranked propect and Ferguson as the 24th this past draft, that is only one opinion but I think their value is close and can be debated either way.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Re: RE: Re: Best Player A Team Would Give For Houston's Non-Guaranteed Contracts and Top 20 Protected 2020 1st? 

Post#19 » by K_chile22 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:12 pm

NYG wrote:
Resistance wrote:
supertruck97 wrote:

I don't think the Rockets can take back Melo and Singler though due to the hard cap
NYG
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Best Player A Team Would Give For Houston's Non-Guaranteed Contracts and Top 20 Protected 2020 1st? 

Post#20 » by NYG » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:48 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
NYG wrote:
Resistance wrote:

I don't think the Rockets can take back Melo and Singler though due to the hard cap

I could see the Knicks accepting Singler and Bayless if they also got Okafor and Ferguson in a Melo deal.

Return to Trades and Transactions