Cavs Knicks trade

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jstross
Senior
And1: 247

Cavs Knicks trade 

Post#1 » by jstross » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:52 pm

Irving and Shumpert to Knicks for Ntilinkila, Melo and the Knicks first.
8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Re: Cavs Knicks trade 

Post#2 » by 8on » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:35 am

seems like Melo doesn't want to go to Cleveland but some version of this is pretty logical.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,829

Post#3 » by Duffman100 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:50 am

Any protections on the pick? Or straight up, unprotected 2018er?
Jaw
Bench Warmer
And1: 466

Post#4 » by Jaw » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:35 am

dantley4prez wrote:seems like Melo doesn't want to go to Cleveland but some version of this is pretty logical.

Yes I think Melo's no trade clause is the main obstacle here. Irving would be a fantastic pickup for Knicks. He is still relatively young and with him I think they'd be in contention for a playoff spot and I think the pick would be outside the top 10. It would still be wise to protect the pick just in case injuries or they get extremely lucky with ping pong balls. Ntilikina is a promising prospect but I don't think they should pass up a chance to add Irving who better fits Porzingis timeline from talent and competitive standpoint (Ntilikina looks real raw and will likely take a few years before he can really contribute and be a sidekick to Porzingis).

I think its solid value for Cavs the only concern is that Ntilikina likely won't give them much right now (although from a backup role he likely wouldn't hurt them and could probably provide solid defense out of the gate). Cavs also weaken their wing rotation with losing Shumpert (They probably would prefer to trade Frye is salary still works). Adding Melo however gives them the best offensive player they can expect as a return for Kyrie. I think his acquisition would also make Love expendable and Cavs could move him potentially for more depth and to fill some of the holes (backup big man, another bigger wing defender so Lebron and old man Jefferson don't have to cover Durant for most of the game, and generally more defensive players).

Return to Trades and Transactions