Kyrie Irving to Miami; Dion Waiters to where?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,596

Kyrie Irving to Miami; Dion Waiters to where? 

Post#1 » by NYG » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:08 pm

If the Heat got Kyrie Irving, they would need to trade Dion Waiters. What third team would give something for Dion Waiters that the Cavaliers would want in addition to Heat assets (Winslow + Adebayo + Richardson) for Kyrie Irving? Is there a fourth team that would want 2 or 3 of those Heat assets consolidated into one better asset?

Miami Heat get:
Kyrie Irving

Cleveland Cavaliers get:
Team 3 Value
Team 4 Individual Asset

Team 3 gets:
Dion Waiters

Team 4 gets:
Justise Winslow
Bam Adebayo
Josh Richardson
melo mvp 15
Assistant Coach
And1: 393

Re: Kyrie Irving to Miami; Dion Waiters to where? 

Post#2 » by melo mvp 15 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:25 pm

This is a pretty lazy approach hahaha

Phoenix could work as the team getting Winslow and they give up Bledsoe to Cleveland. I can't think of what team would give up anything close to enough for Waiters to bridge the gap between Bledsoe and Irving.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#3 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:33 pm

I haven't done the math, and maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like it would make more sense to trade Dragic than Waiters in a Kyrie deal.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,596

Post#4 » by NYG » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:16 pm

SuperDario wrote:I haven't done the math, and maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like it would make more sense to trade Dragic than Waiters in a Kyrie deal.

Trading Waiters isn't for cap purposes, it is for Kyrie and him didn't get along in Cleveland purposes.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,184

Post#5 » by skones » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:38 pm

This deal assumes that Waiters has value on the trade market. I don't think he does with that shiny new contract.

On top of all that, if Irving is indeed dealt, it'll be before the 15th of December which I believe takes Waiters off the table entirely.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,201

Post#6 » by BBallFreak » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:16 pm

That's an awful lot for Miami to give. All our young assets and Waiters (who really doesn't have value. It would have to be Dragic)? Just don't see it. I also think Cleveland a) could do better (though this is incredibly nebulous) and b) I'm not sure they'd want to send him to Miami.
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,269

Post#7 » by Hoops23 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:34 am

A bad bad trade for Miami.
If there is an offer of Bam & Winslow in a package for Kyrie before, the trade should have happen already.

The Heat will not over pay for Kyrie.
Jaw
Bench Warmer
And1: 466

Post#8 » by Jaw » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:50 am

I'm in the minority I guess but I'd be all over that if I were the Heat. I think Winslow is just a MKG 2.0 (with injuries and all), Bam has some upside but nothing that would make me hesitate over to get Irving and Waiters I think still has some value but his new contract diminishes a lot of it. In general I think there is just too much movement needed to make room for Irving since Dragic would still likely have to go unless Dragic is willing to play sg since I don't think Irving would want to even though he'd be the better fit there.

As far as who may be interested in Waiters...Maybe the Hawks if they could dump Bazemore as part of the deal. Idk there isn't much demand for an undersized two guard who's ego and contract are likely too big to have him as a backup which is probably where he is best suited.
clpp01
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#9 » by clpp01 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:09 am

melo mvp 15 wrote:This is a pretty lazy approach hahaha

Phoenix could work as the team getting Winslow and they give up Bledsoe to Cleveland. I can't think of what team would give up anything close to enough for Waiters to bridge the gap between Bledsoe and Irving.

I doubt the Suns would help Miami land Irving as it wouldn't be in their best interest seeing how they own 2 of Miami's 1st round picks over next 4 years

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#10 » by NashtyNas » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:33 am

clpp01 wrote:
melo mvp 15 wrote:This is a pretty lazy approach hahaha

I doubt the Suns would help Miami land Irving as it wouldn't be in their best interest seeing how they own 2 of Miami's 1st round picks over next 4 years

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Yeah, especially if it involves us moving Bledsoe for Winslow who has looked more and more like he's not that good and plays the same position as 2 players we actually like in Jackson and to an extent Warren.

I probably wouldn't swap Warren for Winslow straight up which tells you how I feel about Bledoe for Winslow.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,065

Post#11 » by tidho » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:43 pm

Hoops23 wrote:...

I love when fans make statements like this.

As if we know:
a) what an organization would do
b) what an 'over pay' would actually be
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#12 » by Mykhyn » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Hoops23 wrote:

In the OP they're not. They're way underpaying

I don't see Miami as having the pieces to get Kyrie.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,184

Post#13 » by skones » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:47 pm

Cklbmk wrote:
Hoops23 wrote:

Agree. A little shocked that Miami fans think they're giving up too much, then again, I'm not high on Winslow at all. Feels like a four quarters for a dollar here. With the money Miami spent this offseason, I think they put themselves in treadmill territory. While I'm not a big Kyrie guy, I do think a Miami acquisition would be a step in a better direction for them.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#14 » by Mykhyn » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:44 pm

skones wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:
Hoops23 wrote:

Agree. A little shocked that Miami fans think they're giving up too much, then again, I'm not high on Winslow at all. Feels like a four quarters for a dollar here. With the money Miami spent this offseason, I think they put themselves in treadmill territory. While I'm not a big Kyrie guy, I do think a Miami acquisition would be a step in a better direction for them.

Feels more like a quarter and 3 dimes to me.

I agree Miami needs to consolidate and Winslow needs to improve offensively otherwise they're treadmilling
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#15 » by FNQ » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:10 pm

Cklbmk wrote:
Hoops23 wrote:

Should Kyrie go for more than Jimmy Butler? For me its a resounding no, and I think if there were a deal where the Cavs were getting back a young star like they're asking for, it'd be done by now. Its practically pre-season, and it would behoove teams to get their rosters set as quickly as possible so they can practice together.

When its all said and done I can see the Cavs settling for a package very similar to this, though I do think this is under his value. Bam looked good in SL, but that means little.. and Winslow is quite a large question mark. Both have the potential aspect going for them, but other than that, I dont see the values matching up without Whiteside being involved somehow
leoshes
Veteran
And1: 5,437

Post#16 » by leoshes » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:55 am

My only problem isint how much we are giving, its more of how little defense Irving plays. I feel like Irving is over hyped. He is a great one, on one offensive player, but he is an undersized SG, that doesn't play defense, & wishes to be the go to guy instead of making his teammates better. He is a very good offensive player, but not someone that can lead to to a championship.

Saying all that im still a fan. :oops:
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,677

Post#17 » by penbeast0 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:32 pm

IF you do sub in Dragic for Waiters, it might work straight up (Dragic, Winslow and Bam to Cleveland for Kyrie and maybe Richard Jefferson) and the talent is closer plus you don't have to worry about Phoenix or another 3rd team's motivations.

But then a Dragic/Winslow for Irving type deal has been discussed before.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
phraoh
Sixth Man
And1: 714

Post#18 » by phraoh » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:01 pm

I'm telling you now, unless each have grown up quite a bit, Kyrie with Waiters will be a big huge fire waiting to blow up before everyone's eyes. I also think a Dragic Winslow and Bam trade may be as good as Cavs get.

Return to Trades and Transactions