The Carmelo Anthony Trade Primer

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

RightToCensor
Head Coach
And1: 7,410

Re: The Carmelo Anthony Trade Primer 

Post#41 » by RightToCensor » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:29 pm

I'm hoping for a career-year from Ryan Anderson since he'll be playing with Harden and Paul. I wonder if he could increase his value if he establishes himself as one of the most valuable shooters in the league.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,598

Post#42 » by NYG » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:25 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
NYG wrote:The Carmelo Anthony Trade Primer

Just some information to consider when coming up with a Carmelo Anthony trade.

1. Carmelo Anthony has a 15% Trade Kicker.

2. It is very unlikely that Carmelo Anthony opts out of his contract after the 2017-18 season.

3. Carmelo Anthony's 2017-18 salary is $26,243,760.

4. Carmelo Anthony's 2018-19 salary is $27,928,140.

5. Carmelo Anthony's total combined salary (26,243,760 + 27,928,140) is $54,171,900.

6. 15% of 54,171,900 is 8,125,785.

7. If you add Carmelo Anthony's 15% Trade Kicker (8,125,785) to his 2017-18 salary (26,243,760), it makes his incoming salary in a trade equal to $34,369,545.

8. Using the 125% + $100,000 trade rule that would apply to most teams ((34,369,545 minus 100,000 = 34,269,545) and (34,269,545 divided by 125% or 1.25 = $27,415,636)), the team receiving Carmelo Anthony would need to send out $27,415,636 in total salary.

9. Carmelo Anthony is currently only willing to waive his No-Trade Clause to go to the Houston Rockets.

10. The Houston Rockets do not WANT to trade for Carmelo Anthony unless it is convenient for them to do so, but they are okay not landing him in a trade.

11. The New York Knicks do not NEED to trade Carmelo Anthony unless they get fair value in return, but they are okay not trading him.

12. Carmelo Anthony is probably okay with losing and staying in New York if the right circumstance doesn't present itself.

13. The Knicks will not take ANY deal that involves a bad contract that goes beyond Carmelo Anthony's 2019 contract expiration even if said contract is the filler in the deal to make a trade work cap wise. Any contract going to New York longer than that in a Carmelo Anthony trade has to be a player that can unquestionably start for the Knicks.

14. The Rockets will not include Clint Capela, Trevor Ariza, Eric Gordon, James Harden, Chris Paul, any draft pick from 2020 or earlier that does not have a top 20 protection on it before becoming two second round draft picks or any first round pick beyond 2020.

15. Carmelo Anthony probably only extends his No Trade Clause list before the trade deadline to a top 5 team in the NBA that is also a top 3-4 team in their conference or a really favorable market (Any team in California, Texas, Florida or Chicago) that is a top 10 team in the NBA and also a top 3-4 team in their conference with a chance that the Wizards would be acceptable if they fall in that category (Top 10 NBA/Top 3-4 in Conference). This isn't guaranteed he will extend to those teams, but I feel like that is the minimum requirement for him to at least listen to the option.

Anything else I should add?

Add, "These are the starting negotiating positions of Anthony, the Knicks, and the Rockets. Once it becomes clear that there will be no successful deals under these parameters, these entities MAY (not necessarily will) look for a compromise solution to get a deal done.

If the Rockets don't really want Melo, I don't see them budging and I don't see the new Knicks regime forcing a bad Melo deal as their first big move just to please Anthony who will only accept one team besides the Knicks. I think Anthony has to budge on expanding his list or we will see Melo ride out his current deal in NY.
patman52
Lead Assistant
And1: 848

Post#43 » by patman52 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:35 pm

RightToCensor wrote:Why do people think it's unlikely for Carmelo to opt out of the final year of his deal?

Because he will not get close to 30 mill from anyone.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,645

Post#44 » by shrink » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:23 pm

FutureKnicksGM wrote:Never been team first? But never had any issues with his team members, and literally gets voted best team mate this year.

How in the world is wanting to be traded to the team he wants to go to, when he has a NTC, when the current team he is on want's him gone, and when the 1-2 teams he has picked give him the best to chance to win, some kind of slight against Melo.

A team-first player says, "trade me to any of the 29 teams, wherever you get the best return."

A me-first player says, "screw this team. I will only go to the one or two teams I choose!"

And Melo has done this twice, to Denver and NYK. What did DEN ever do to deserve that selfish behavior?

I can understand agreeing with his choices - I don't have a problem with them. But I don't know how you can possibly think this is team-first behavior.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
melo mvp 15
Assistant Coach
And1: 393

Post#45 » by melo mvp 15 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:59 pm

shrink wrote:
FutureKnicksGM wrote:Never been team first? But never had any issues with his team members, and literally gets voted best team mate this year.

How in the world is wanting to be traded to the team he wants to go to, when he has a NTC, when the current team he is on want's him gone, and when the 1-2 teams he has picked give him the best to chance to win, some kind of slight against Melo.

A team-first player says, "trade me to any of the 29 teams, wherever you get the best return."

A me-first player says, "screw this team. I will only go to the one or two teams I choose!"

And Melo has done this twice, to Denver and NYK. What did DEN ever do to deserve that selfish behavior?

I can understand agreeing with his choices - I don't have a problem with them. But I don't know how you can possibly think this is team-first behavior.

A team first player doesn't care about helping his old team if he knows he's getting traded....
shrink
RealGM

Post#46 » by shrink » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:05 pm

melo mvp 15 wrote:
shrink wrote:

A team first player doesn't care about helping his old team if he knows he's getting traded....

A team first player does not tell his current team that he will never re-sign with them in the first place, like Melo told Denver.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,882

Post#47 » by LarsV8 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:18 am

shrink wrote:A team first player does not tell his current team that he will never re-sign with them in the first place, like Melo told Denver.

Telling a team you won't resign with them is 100 percent better than leaving them wondering.
shrink
RealGM

Post#48 » by shrink » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:34 am

LarsV8 wrote:
shrink wrote:A team first player does not tell his current team that he will never re-sign with them in the first place, like Melo told Denver.

Telling a team you won't resign with them is 100 percent better than leaving them wondering.

And 200% worse than the superstar re-signing?

And sure, Mrs Lincoln, You may have lost your superstar husband, but it's 100% better than if the play was bad too!
LarsV8
General Manager

Post#49 » by LarsV8 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:03 am

shrink wrote:And 200% worse than the superstar re-signing?

And sure, Mrs Lincoln, You may have lost your superstar husband, but it's 100% better than if the play was bad too!

Teams control players for seven years.

If they can't get it done by then, it's on them.
shrink
RealGM

Post#50 » by shrink » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:37 am

LarsV8 wrote:

Denver offered him a max deal - and with higher raises than any other team could offer.

Not only did Melo refuse to sign, he said he only sign with New York (and later added brooklyn).

I don't even say that is wrong, but when a superstar abandons his team and teammates, that is clearly not "team oriented."
LarsV8
General Manager

Post#51 » by LarsV8 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:44 am

shrink wrote:Denver offered him a max deal - and with higher raises than any other team could offer.

Not only did Melo refuse to sign, he said he only sign with New York (and later added brooklyn).

I don't even say that is wrong, but when a superstar abandons his team and teammates, that is clearly not "team oriented."

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/3/13/4098522/carmelo-anthony-return-denver-knicks-nuggets

Following the 2010-11 season, Kenyon Martin, J.R. Smith, Marcus Camby and possibly Chauncey Billups were going to be free agents that were likely to go elsewhere. With Denver planning to go younger, Anthony decided that he did not want to be a part of a rebuilding process. So he pushed for a trade to New York to avoid a rebuild and to also take advantage of the major marketing opportunities in the city.

The team was doing what was better for it, and Melo did what he thought was best for him.

"Team Oriented" is completely out of context. His team was leaving in free agency.
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#52 » by red96 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:26 am

shrink wrote:
LarsV8 wrote:

Denver offered him a max deal - and with higher raises than any other team could offer.

A player only needs to be "team oriented" when he's part of that team. He was as good as gone, but he gave Denver(and the league) a heads up, that he was going to NY one way or the other. That's something his teammates and the Nuggets owner probably appreciated. That's better for everyone than bolting on the team the way LeBron and KD did.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"

Return to Trades and Transactions