Jazz/Knick/Rockets

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Jazz/Knick/Rockets 

Post#1 » by ThatBoyNick » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:24 am

Jazz in: R.Anderson, E.Gordon, C.Onuaku and Rockets 2020 1st
Jazz out: D.Favors, A.Burks and J.Johnson

Knicks in: D.Favors, A.Burks
Knicks out: C.Anthony

Rockets in: C.Anthony, J.Johnson
Rockets out: R.Anderson, E.Gordon, C.Onuaku and Rockets 2020 1st

For Jazz, they get a (IMO)immediate, and long term talent upgrade. I don't see Favors, Burks or Johnson being a part of their future plans. Anderson/Gordon bring a nice scoring punch, and some serious 3point shooting to help replace some of the offense they lost in Haywards absence. They also get a future 1st and Onuaku who was Houston's 2016 2nd.

For Knicks, they get to kick the tires on semi valuable expiring in Favors and a younger wing in Burks (2/20 mill). It's not much but it's definitely better long term then a Anderson deal, Favors/Burks both have injury issues but theres a little potential in one of them perhaps bouncing back decently.

For Houston, they get Melo, at a heavy cost to dump Anderson with Gordon + a first, but they also get back a contributing expiring in Johnson who can help in the playoffs this year.
lakerhater
General Manager
And1: 1,887

Re: Jazz/Knick/Rockets 

Post#2 » by lakerhater » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:30 am

This one depends on how Utah views Favors. I don't think they've given up on him and if that's the case you're not paying them enough to take on Anderson.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,570

Post#3 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:37 am

Utah is one team who could really use these guys. Maybe they could break 100 half the games with them. Plus Gobert could hide Anderson somewhat on defense.

I like it. But rockets fans will say they aren't moving Gordon (though they damn well should as last season staying healthy was a fluke and will not be repeated)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using RealGM mobile app
villematic32
Junior
And1: 67

Post#4 » by villematic32 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:37 am

Not sure if HOU would be willing to give up Gordon and Anderson for essentially Melo.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Post#5 » by ThatBoyNick » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:59 am

villematic32 wrote:Not sure if HOU would be willing to give up Gordon and Anderson for essentially Melo.
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
But rockets fans will say they aren't moving Gordon.

As a Rockets fan, I think i'd be okay with this move. Loosing Gordon hurts quite a bit, but getting JJ back along with Melo would help some.

I also honestly think Houston is going to try to setup for a 2018 banana boat, I see Wade signing this season after a buyout as a real possibility. This type of deal could setup these potential future scenario's nicely.
Jaw
Bench Warmer
And1: 466

Post#6 » by Jaw » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:01 am

I understand the though process of Jazz needing more offense but I hate the move for them. They may still sneak into the playoffs but they aren't going to be a very good team so I don't think its wise locking up money to guys like Anderson and Gordon who are just good role players which they already have plenty of. I'd prefer keeping Johnson who is the most complete offensive weapon they have and Favors who could really improve his stock if he stays healthy and will be an important part of Jazz's defensive identity which they've double-downed on this offseason with trading up for Mitchell, trading for Rubio, resigning Ingles and signing guys like Sefolosha and Udoh. If they want a stretch 4 they can slide Ingles there and he is a much better defender than Anderson and shot a scorching 44% from 3. At shooting guard Jazz will likely want to evaluate how much Hood is worth to them and if he can regain the form he had prior to his injury last season (looked bad afterward) and also, give Mitchell some run and possibly Exum some minutes at the 2 with him having an expiring deal.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#7 » by Cappy_Smurf » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:49 am

At this point, I just don't see Utah and Houston as being good trade partners. Utah pretty clearly went out of their way to stay flexible until they have a chance to evaluate the team post-Haywood. A move like this could potentially lock them into a treadmill for 2 years.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
supertruck97
Veteran
And1: 223

Post#8 » by supertruck97 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:26 pm

As a Houston fan, I'd do this deal if the 2020 pick was lotto protected (or at least Top 10). The Rockets are good now, but if things go badly this season, CP3 walks, Melo walks, JJ walks/retires, and by 2020 all that's left is Harden (who we hope is still playing at a high level, but no guarantees based on his play style (See: D. Wade, D> Rose)) and a bunch of whatnot....

I'm also pretty high on JJ, so I'd love to see him on the Rockets. He's be a great back-up SG/SF, albeit a highly paid one.
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#9 » by red96 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:49 pm

ThatBoyNick wrote:
villematic32 wrote:Not sure if HOU would be willing to give up Gordon and Anderson for essentially Melo.
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
But rockets fans will say they aren't moving Gordon.

As a Rockets fan, I think i'd be okay with this move. Loosing Gordon hurts quite a bit, but getting JJ back along with Melo would help some.

I also honestly think Houston is going to try to setup for a 2018 banana boat, I see Wade signing this season after a buyout as a real possibility. This type of deal could setup these potential future scenario's nicely.
The value of the deal isn't bad, but I think it kills their chances for Lebron. If Im not mistaken(and someone please correct me if I missed something), the only way the Rockets could realistically get Lebron next off-season if they do trade for Melo this season is by an opt-in trade.
In 2018, just Harden and Melo's salaries, plus Paul, and Capela capholds, would put the Rockets right at their cap limit, so I don't see Lebron signing as a FA with this scenario as an option. Now with Melo(opted in) , Harden, and Tucker as the only guys under contract making $4M+, matching Lebron's salary would be impossible. The Rockets would need atleast 1 Gordon sized contract, along with Tucker's, plus a little bit more, just to match salaries, but they won't have it because he's been replaced by JJ's expiring contract.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,741

Post#10 » by SkyHook » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:29 am

Cappy_Smurf wrote:At this point, I just don't see Utah and Houston as being good trade partners. Utah pretty clearly went out of their way to stay flexible until they have a chance to evaluate the team post-Haywood. A move like this could potentially lock them into a treadmill for 2 years.

Agreed. It's a pass from me. Cap flexibility is key. Plus I'd rather take a chance on Favors being healthy than with anything returning here. And, Favors is looking fit and healthy now.

Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,281

Post#11 » by babyjax13 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:59 am

SkyHook wrote:
Cappy_Smurf wrote:At this point, I just don't see Utah and Houston as being good trade partners. Utah pretty clearly went out of their way to stay flexible until they have a chance to evaluate the team post-Haywood. A move like this could potentially lock them into a treadmill for 2 years.

Agreed. It's a pass from me. Cap flexibility is key. Plus I'd rather take a chance on Favors being healthy than with anything returning here. And, Favors is looking fit and healthy now.

Honestly, that video doesn't show me anything that seems all that positive. He just moves real slow side-to-side. But, on the trade, Ryan Anderson can't be hidden on defense, so we'd be massively downgrading the thing we are good at, only to become a middle of the road offensive team. I think we'd actually be worse after the trade, even with the addition of Gordon. For me, almost any trade that has Ryan Anderson going to the Jazz is an easy pass. Would rather pick up Teletovic or Illyasova. Gordon is obviously a nice player, but I don't think this is worth it, especially since we really don't need a shooting guard with Hood/Burks/Mitchell/Exum all playing that position.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#12 » by Daddy 801 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:31 am

A huge hell no from the Jazz. Unless it's 2 unprotected picks(coming asap) I'm not taking on Ryan's contract. And if you say that's too much, well there is 29 other teams you can make that same offer to and get rejected as well. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,741

Post#13 » by SkyHook » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:50 am

babyjax13 wrote:
SkyHook wrote:

Honestly, that video doesn't show me anything that seems all that positive. He just moves real slow side-to-side. But, on the trade, Ryan Anderson can't be hidden on defense, so we'd be massively downgrading the thing we are good at, only to become a middle of the road offensive team. I think we'd actually be worse after the trade, even with the addition of Gordon. For me, almost any trade that has Ryan Anderson going to the Jazz is an easy pass. Would rather pick up Teletovic or Illyasova. Gordon is obviously a nice player, but I don't think this is worth it, especially since we really don't need a shooting guard with Hood/Burks/Mitchell/Exum all playing that position.

Well, it doesn't look like a game speed workout, but he does look like he's shed some weight. Focusing on mobility at the four, I imagine. And less weight can only be good for his back & IT band.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
villematic32
Junior
And1: 67

Post#14 » by villematic32 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:48 am

Cavs win, but we gotta honestly wait 3-4 years to see how this ends up for Boston.

Cavs replace Kyrie with another great ball handler and great defender(something they need moving forward) and glue guy in Crowder. The real highlight is getting that 2018 pick. That gives this team flexibility and an insurance policy if Lebron decides to leave.

Boston now gets a PG for the future who is not due for a contract extension for the next years and keeps their salary situation even more flexible. This also gives room for Tatum and Brown to play more and develop. If Boston can sign another top tier player and have their young guys develop, they can be elite in a few years but also a lot can happen in that span as well. Celtics no they wont win with what they have right now so it looks like they're still banking on the future. I'm still upset the celts didn't get Butler or George but that's just me

Only time will tell but for this upcoming season... CAVS win no doubt.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Re: RE: Re: Jazz/Knick/Rockets 

Post#15 » by Winglish » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:25 am

Daddy 801 wrote:A huge hell no from the Jazz. Unless it's 2 unprotected picks(coming asap) I'm not taking on Ryan's contract. And if you say that's too much, well there is 29 other teams you can make that same offer to and get rejected as well. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Agreed. Jazz do not want Ryno's contract.

The Jazz have set everything up to have free agents coming off the books. They are not adding salary.

Sent from my SM-G930T using RealGM mobile app

Return to Trades and Transactions