Just for the heck of it . . . .

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,678

Just for the heck of it . . . . 

Post#1 » by penbeast0 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:32 am

Cleveland makes a policy with the new GM of not catering to LeBron, LeBron (behind the scenes) expresses his unhappiness and a willingness to go to LA or NY . . .

Cleveland sends LeBron to the Knicks for Porzingas, Noah, and Lance Thomas and a top 5 protected first in 2021.

Maybe they make trades to balance the roster, maybe they rely on Porzingas and Love's outside shooting and play Lance Thomas or Tristan Thompson (or even Noah) as the 3rd big accepting that they will get burned by quick 3's at times. Either way, they put their faith in Kyrie Irving and Porzingas as potential young superstars to build the team around; everything else is just extra value.

NY goes for the superfriends of LeBron and Carmelo to try to be relevant in the modern NBA. Maybe they can get a center or maybe they go small a lot. But they can't resist the best player in basketball based on their belief in unicorns.

Feel free to comment, improve, or let it die a quick death by ignoring it.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Jaw
Bench Warmer
And1: 466

Re: Just for the heck of it . . . . 

Post#2 » by Jaw » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:36 am

I think Cavs would have a very tough time trading Lebron. Lebron has a no-trade clause so he'd have to agree to any trade that happens, Cavs would obviously want a decent return for him since without him they aren't favorites in the east and any team trading for him likely wouldn't want to give up much for him since he can opt out of his contract and go wherever after this season or they could just sign him for "free" next season.

If I'm the Knicks I much rather just tank this season to get another lotto pick, keep Porzingis and just sign Lebron for "free" next offseason. They probably would still have to move Noah but I think it would be easier in offseason and could likely be done with Ntilikina or their 2018 pick rather than Porzingis who would be a great cheap, young center for the banana boat crew.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#3 » by NashtyNas » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:39 am

LeBron already said under no circumstances is he waiving his NTC - he does not want to be traded. He makes his own decisions.

Also, assuming he did agree to it, there is not a chance in hell he gets this kind of return. NY isn't using Porzingis to dump Noah + Lance and get LeBron for a few months because that team isn't good enough to win anything with or without LeBron.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#4 » by daoneandonly » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:23 pm

yea just because of his contract situation, I doubt even the King at a one year rental can net Porzingas, and Melo seems dead set on leaving. I think Charlotte would be a good option for both to team up, Melo for Batum straight up, but Char surely does not have the assets for LBJ, even Monk-Kaminsky-MKG-Zeller is a way light, though if James were to force their hand, could be doable. Kemba-LBJ-Melo would surely be the best team in the East.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,442

Post#5 » by Myth » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:40 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Cleveland sends LeBron to the Knicks for Porzingas, Noah, and Lance Thomas and a top 5 protected first in 2021.

LeBron would not be willing to do that, because then he is on a terrible Knicks team. I don't see LeBron ever wanting traded because any team he goes to would be gutted. I see him waiting until free agency and going to teams that would be set up to win the moment he arrives. It is what he has done each free agency since 2010, I don't see that changing now.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,499

Post#6 » by GoBobs » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:48 pm

Ok how about a deal with Charlotte built around Frank the Tank, Monk, and two unprotected picks with a pick swap in between for value. Marvin Williams and Lamb or Batum for salary.

Cleveland gets to rebuild

Charlotte gets to be relevant even if only for one year

Lebron gets a better chance to win playing on a team with Kemba, Dwight, and more depth then the current cavs roster. (Wade could also come after buyout) Lebron also does a solid to the Cleveland fan base by leaving them with something rather then just leaving.
Jaw
Bench Warmer
And1: 466

Post#7 » by Jaw » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:56 am

GoBobs wrote:Ok how about a deal with Charlotte built around Frank the Tank, Monk, and two unprotected picks with a pick swap in between for value. Marvin Williams and Lamb or Batum for salary.

Cleveland gets to rebuild

Charlotte gets to be relevant even if only for one year

Lebron gets a better chance to win playing on a team with Kemba, Dwight, and more depth then the current cavs roster. (Wade could also come after buyout) Lebron also does a solid to the Cleveland fan base by leaving them with something rather then just leaving.

Maybe Cleveland does that but I don't think Charlotte or Lebron would. That is an awful lot for Charlotte to give up for 1 year of relevancy especially with Lebron being able to leave next year (Charlotte would drop to a fringe playoff team) and Kemba and Dwight able to leave the year after then Hornets not having their pick in 2019 draft when they'd likely be one of the worst teams. For Lebron I'm not even certain the Hornets would have more depth after than current Cavs (MCW, Lamb/Bacon, Graham, O'Bryant, Zeller) after that trade and they certainly wouldn't have as a good a starting lineup** (Kemba, Batum, MKG, Lebron, Howard). Then there is the entire media frenzy that would happen with Lebron playing for Jordan's Hornets.

**I guess kinda depends on Irving trade
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,938

Post#8 » by tmorgan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:49 am

With or without a disgruntled Kyrie, LBJ is playing for Cleveland this year. Then he decides how he wants to finish up... and going to LA with another top FA to play with Ball and Ingram is the most likely outcome. They'll still get smoked by Golden State, though.

Return to Trades and Transactions