Celtics wrap up summer with Philly trade

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,768

Re: Celtics wrap up summer with Philly trade 

Post#41 » by the_process » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:09 pm

OFWGKTA wrote:
the_process wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Because the crux of this trade is Tatum, who the Celtics targeted at #3, and Saric, who they could have had instead of that asset. As the Celtics ended up with 3, its logical to deduce that they preferred Tatum to Saric.

What don't you get? Or are you intentionally being obtuse?

If you preferred A to C and A = B, then you prefer B to C.

Tatum was not Ainge's target at 3 until Jackson stiffed him for a workout mid flight. But that is a separate issue. The important thing to note is the 1 for 3 and Laker pick trade is done. It's over. And it's now irrelevant to any future offers or deals.

Doesn't change the fact that the trade still sucks.

I agree with you that Boston isn't touching this, as I previously stated.
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Re: RE: Re: Celtics wrap up summer with Philly trade 

Post#42 » by ballup » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:14 pm

the_process wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
the_process wrote:
Clearly I'm not. Why do you even bring up the 3 pick at all? It's not in the OP trade anywhere is it? So you see how you did do it now, right?

Because the crux of this trade is Tatum, who the Celtics targeted at #3, and Saric, who they could have had instead of that asset. As the Celtics ended up with 3, its logical to deduce that they preferred Tatum to Saric.

Tatum was not Ainge's target at 3 until Jackson stiffed him for a workout mid flight. But that is a separate issue. The important thing to note is the 1 for 3 and Laker pick trade is done. It's over. And it's now irrelevant to any future offers or deals.
You can't assume Ainge's intent. Reports were going around that Ainge was going back and forth between the two.

To say Tatum would have been picked #1, probably not true.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#43 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:37 pm

the_process wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
the_process wrote:
Clearly I'm not. Why do you even bring up the 3 pick at all? It's not in the OP trade anywhere is it? So you see how you did do it now, right?

Yeah, I mean if we want to make up facts, sure. If we want to live in reality, Tatum was his target at 3.

For the life of me, I'll never understand why some fans will argue till they're blue in the face that Ainge is a terrible drafter and reached on Yabusele/Rozier/Brown, but will deny to the death that he was going to take Tatum first.

When it comes to targeting a player, it's pretty clear that Tatum was his guy. I'm sorry that it means that your team traded an extra asset to get the player you would've gotten regardless. Rest your hat on not trusting Ainges drafting record, as you've done many times in the past. But Ainge clearly preferred Tatum to Saric. And nothing from the past 2 months changes that.
the_process
RealGM

Post#44 » by the_process » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:43 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
the_process wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Yeah, I mean if we want to make up facts, sure. If we want to live in reality, Tatum was his target at 3.

For the life of me, I'll never understand why some fans will argue till there blue in the face that Ainge is a terrible drafter and reached on Yabusele/Rozier/Brown, but will deny to the death that he was going to take Tatum first.

Media reports at that time contradict your hard stand that Danny was only targeting Tatum at 3. And he certainly wouldn't have taken him at 1.

And yet again, misses the entire point about how the previous trade has nothing to do with future trades.

Also, don't remember a single person commenting in any way, shape, or form on Danny's draft record.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:45 pm

the_process wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
the_process wrote:

For the life of me, I'll never understand why some fans will argue till there blue in the face that Ainge is a terrible drafter and reached on Yabusele/Rozier/Brown, but will deny to the death that he was going to take Tatum first.

Because he wasn't in any world going to take Tatum first. But keep on replacing reality with your conjecture. And yet again, misses the entire point about how the previous trade has nothing to do with future trades.

Except he was. But keep telling yourself he had Fultz one to make yourself feel better. Hopefully it'll work better next post.

And he clearly preferred Tatum over Saric. Nothing's changed. Keep digging.
the_process
RealGM

Post#46 » by the_process » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:51 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
the_process wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Because he wasn't in any world going to take Tatum first. But keep on replacing reality with your conjecture. And yet again, misses the entire point about how the previous trade has nothing to do with future trades.

Except he was. But keep telling yourself he had Fultz one to make yourself feel better. Hopefully it'll work better next post.

Man, you are Ainge's target audience. Amazing. You win. Believe what you want.
Chuck-Cheese
Senior
And1: 230

Post#47 » by Chuck-Cheese » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:56 pm

OFWGKTA wrote:
the_process wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Tatum was not Ainge's target at 3 until Jackson stiffed him for a workout mid flight. But that is a separate issue. The important thing to note is the 1 for 3 and Laker pick trade is done. It's over. And it's now irrelevant to any future offers or deals. Fans going in hindsight and plugging in pieces to past trades is done simply as a thought exercise.

Doesn't change the fact that the trade still sucks.
it only sucks for the celts. It's highway robbery for he sixers.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:22 pm

the_process wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
the_process wrote:

Man, you are Ainge's target audience. Amazing. You win. Believe what you want.

That's the beauty of it-- having Tatum over Fultz is not a good thing. Fultz was clearly better to me, and I had Tatum 2 dating back to March. I don't think Ainge is a good amateur talent evaluator. I do think he is a good trader. This deal was a capstone to that. Yet you refuse to believe it cuz you don't want to believe that BC may have overpaid. It's crazy...
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#49 » by LloydFree » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:06 pm

I_Love_This_Game!! wrote:BOS trades / PHI receives:
Jayson Tatum
Guerschon Yabusele
Semi Ojeleye

PHI trades / BOS receives:
Jahlil Okafor
Dario Saric
Nik Stauskas

Why this trade works for the Celtics:
Who are the C's going to start at PF? Morris? He is more of a SF. And, there isn't much depth behind him. Saric fits this team perfectly. He is a young, stretch PF. And Okafor lost a significant amount of weight this summer. He'd be an excellent big off the bench and, if he ever reached the potential that made him a high lottery pick, he could replace Horford in a year or two. Stauskas, while nothing special, fills a need on the bench. Their new lineup:

PG...Irving...Rozier
SG...Brown...Smart...Stauskas
SF...Hayward...Morris
PF...Saric...Horford
C...Horford... Okafor...Baynes

Why this trade works for the Sixers:
Ben Simmons is the starting PF for this team, which means Saric will most likely be bench bound. And Okafor is their backup center as long as Embiid is healthy. With this trade, they acquire their SF of the future in Tatum for two role players off their bench. Their new lineup:

PG...Fultz...Bayless...McConnell
SG...Redick...Korkmaz
SF...Tatum...Covington
PF...Simmons...Johnson
C...Embiid...Holmes

What do you think?

This is beyond horrible for the Celtics. I'm not even a Tatum fan, but if I were the Celtics I wouldn't trade Tatum for all 3 of those guys. Heck, I'd give the Celtics both Okafor and Stauskas for Ojeleye and would be ecstatic.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Aussiepiston1
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#50 » by Aussiepiston1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:29 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
the_process wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

For the life of me, I'll never understand why some fans will argue till they're blue in the face that Ainge is a terrible drafter and reached on Yabusele/Rozier/Brown, but will deny to the death that he was going to take Tatum first.

When it comes to targeting a player, it's pretty clear that Tatum was his guy. I'm sorry that it means that your team traded an extra asset to get the player you would've gotten regardless. Rest your hat on not trusting Ainges drafting record, as you've done many times in the past. But Ainge clearly preferred Tatum to Saric. And nothing from the past 2 months changes that.

totally agree with you dude and understand your logic.
This trade is way off and Tatum is untouchable.
But the Sixer fan in me still hopes Okafor and Saric turn out better players than Tatum hahaha
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#51 » by NashtyNas » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:37 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:However, I think Okafor is underrated on here, and Yabusele is a guy who hasn't played in the NBA and was projected as a 2nd rounder before Ainge -- while dealing with all sorts of roster (and cap) constraints picked him in the first knowing he could stash him.

Fair assessment but the unfortunate part is that knowing Okafor has played in the NBA and how bad he's looked doesn't particularly help his case. In this particular scenario, you might be better off with the unknown because the known just isn't very good.

The deal is bad on so many levels for Boston that it's not worth breaking down. Seems like a Laker fan trying to derail the Celtics before the rivalry can be renewed in a few short years. :lol:

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas

Return to Trades and Transactions