Woj: Shabazz Muhammad to Minnesota on Minimum Deal

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,966

Woj: Shabazz Muhammad to Minnesota on Minimum Deal 

Post#1 » by Domejandro » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:59 pm

Read on Twitter

The rational for Shabazz Muhammad is that Minnesota will retain his bird-rights, being able to go over the cap next season to retain him.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Woj: Shabazz back to Minnesota 

Post#2 » by bondom34 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Can't link from my phone but has to be a min deal I'm pretty sure.

Spoiler:
Merged the two topics. -Mamba
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Re: Woj: Shabazz Muhammad to Minnesota on Minimum Deal 

Post#3 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:07 pm

I wonder if NO signing Allen was what finally got this done. They were the only other decent spot for him.

I love this for Minnesota though.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#4 » by loserX » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:10 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:I wonder if NO signing Allen was what finally got this done. They were the only other decent spot for him.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it was. Pelicans IIRC could still offer more than the minimum, and seemed the only team willing to consider it; once they dropped out, Minny was the best suitor standing.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#5 » by moss_is_1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:23 pm

Love it. Bazz can really help our bench scoring, and can be a valuable piece moving forward as well.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,629

Post#6 » by shrink » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:13 pm

I'm happy to see it, but a little surprised CHI didn't get in. Did I miss a signing?

The Tony Allen signing may mean Daunte Cunningham is in play for the Wolves as well. They could use both.

Bazz gets ripped a lot for not passing, but I often wonder if it's internal selfishness or coach design. He is very effective at getting the ball in the basket, especially bullying people down low with an array of moves. He was by far the best option on MIN's awful bench of the last previous years, so I wonder if he was asked to be taking all those shots.

Like most bench players, he has a few strength and a few weaknesses. He is the most inconsistent three point shooter I have ever seen. For a few months, he was leading the NBA in percentage with an improved shot, but then I think he went like 1-for-February, If he can get that three-point shooting back, he can have some extra value on a MIN team that looks like it needs it.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,818

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:51 pm

yeah this pretty much has to be about the Bird's Rights. Far better to gamble on yourself in Minny where if you play well they have an opportunity to pay you without needing cap space because he already learned this summer that teams didn't want to use cap space on him and there will be less cap space to go around next year.

Fit is poor in Minny, but they need wing bodies so he should get minutes because of lack of options. If he has any brains, he attaches himself to Jimmy Butler's hip and tries to soak it all in.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,107

Post#8 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:10 pm

I thought he would be out of the league by now. Not sure how wrong I was seeing he couldn't get more than a min contact.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,629

Post#9 » by shrink » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:12 pm

This gives him a no trade clause, right?

Did KG have one back in the day, or is he the first Timberwolf to have one?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by bondom34 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:25 pm

I like this one for both sides. Good value deal and Shabazz gets a second shot.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,726

Post#11 » by the_process » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:35 am

Where's that FA prediction thread? Pretty sure I had Bazz on a minimum.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,532

Post#12 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:14 am

Interesting decision, I would have thought a place like Bulls or Pelicans where he can pad his PPG was the fit, but in modern day I guess he can make an impression if he becomes good bench player for TWolves
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,942

Post#13 » by Klomp » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:38 am

shrink wrote:This gives him a no trade clause, right?

Just to put this info over here too....

There are two additional circumstances in which a trade requires the player's consent:

1. When the player is playing under a one-year contract (excluding any option year) and will have Larry Bird or Early Bird rights at the end of the season. When the player consents to such a trade, his Larry Bird/Early Bird rights are not traded with him, and instead becomes a Non-Bird free agent. The player's consent is also required for any subsequent trades that season.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q101
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Klomp » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:39 am

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#15 » by babyjax13 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:42 am

bondom34 wrote:I like this one for both sides. Good value deal and Shabazz gets a second shot.

I feel the same way. With Towns, Dieng, Teague, Butler, and Wiggins all able to spread the court a bit, it's a better fit for him now than it was before (and a better fit than New Orleans) so in addition to the Bird Rights, this just seems like the best move overall at this point.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,818

Post#16 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:50 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Curious how much more. Because his Bird's Rights should be worth a couple million dollars alone. And if another team wanted him to do like 2/$6M or something, I could him saying I'd rather play for the min on a team that has no wing depth thinking I could do better over that 2 year span with a larger starting salary on my next contract.

I mean maybe a possible playoff run motivated him, but you'd have to think having not really gotten NBA paid yet is a larger priority. This definitely feels like the best path to him getting a nice contract next summer, right?

Also on a bit of a random note Shabazz is my default response (along with Skal) when people want to hype up a draft class a year in advance. Remember when he was going to be the 1st overall pick?

But this is great for the Wolves. They can use him and having his Bird's Rights mean that if they want to retain him, its much easier now.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Klomp » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:03 am

Texas Chuck wrote:Also on a bit of a random note Shabazz is my default response (along with Skal) when people want to hype up a draft class a year in advance. Remember when he was going to be the 1st overall pick?

Just looked back at the DX mock from Oct. 2012:

1. Shabazz Muhammad
2. Nerlens Noel
3. Cody Zeller
4. Rudy Gobert
5. James McAdoo

http://web.archive.org/web/20121005040505/http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by bondom34 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:19 am

Klomp wrote:5. James McAdoo

That ended poorly.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#19 » by GimmeDat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:44 am

It's a steal, I think. Muhammad is a flawed player, but as a bench piece, especially in the scheme of things as a 9th-10th man, I think his value is undeniable. He has a bona fide NBA skill and that's putting the ball in the basket, and he does so efficiently and on a good volume.

Not a great fit with what they have, however. As far as I'm aware he's not a good defender, which means Butler is the only plus wing on the roster in that category, and of course they'd ideally have more shooting on the perimeter. Probably the worst fit out of everything is that they basically don't have 1 perimeter player who doesn't work with the ball in his hands - Butler handles the ball a tonne and is at his best doing it, Wiggins is an on-ball, creating scorer, Crawford is an overdribbling shot creator and while Shabazz is a little bit less demanding because he functions as an off-ball slasher and board crasher, he's still a high usage guy.

So overall, no complaints, it's good value and the best alternative for them, but his value will be far from maximized given their needs.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,147

Post#20 » by jbk1234 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:08 pm

GimmeDat wrote:It's a steal, I think. Muhammad is a flawed player, but as a bench piece, especially in the scheme of things as a 9th-10th man, I think his value is undeniable. He has a bona fide NBA skill and that's putting the ball in the basket, and he does so efficiently and on a good volume.

Not a great fit with what they have, however. As far as I'm aware he's not a good defender, which means Butler is the only plus wing on the roster in that category, and of course they'd ideally have more shooting on the perimeter. Probably the worst fit out of everything is that they basically don't have 1 perimeter player who doesn't work with the ball in his hands - Butler handles the ball a tonne and is at his best doing it, Wiggins is an on-ball, creating scorer, Crawford is an overdribbling shot creator and while Shabazz is a little bit less demanding because he functions as an off-ball slasher and board crasher, he's still a high usage guy.

So overall, no complaints, it's good value and the best alternative for them, but his value will be far from maximized given their needs.

Yeah I can't say that worrying about Bird rights was the right move for him at this point. Even in a tight market, he should've been able to get a good chunk of the MLE this summer, or at a bare minimum, the mini MLE. Teams like Utah or the Magic struggle to score and had some cap space. Bulls & the Knicks both had space and nothing really to lose in a rebuild setting. It doesn't even sound like he got a P.O. for a second year. Color me skeptical that the Wolves will go deep into the luxury tax in order to retain him if they didn't even agree to his Q.O.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Trades and Transactions