Gobert to bos w/mil

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Re: Gobert to bos w/mil 

Post#21 » by Patsfan1081 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:07 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Hmm yeah so probably not and Boston doesn't really have the assets for Utah to send them a top 15 player, so thanks but no thanks.

Gobert isn't a top 15 player, you can't be a top player in the league without being able to be at least a first or second option on offense. He's an elite defensive center. Also if any team has the assets to get a deal done it's Boston.

Post all-star break Rudy looked like a pretty legit second option (17ppg in 24 games). I don't see why he can't do that in a full season, he's a lot more capable offensive player than he gets credit for. He certainly is in the debate as being a top 15 player. The most impactful post defender in the league, the only defensive player that is really his peer in terms of impact is Draymond. Offensively he is also hyper-efficient. I'm expecting around 16ppg next season on elite percentages again. I wouldn't make a trade of Rudy to Boston for any package that didn't include Kyrie, and Boston would have to add more to that package. I also think that other teams have better packages they could put together if we were dumb enough to trade him.

He doesn't have a game outside of three feet from the basket. Not even 1% of his shots were from outside ten feet and he shot 27% from 3-10 feet last season. His game is basically offensive rebounds, lobs, and sometimes lay ins off the pick n roll. Even Mutombo had somewhat of a post game and a small midrange game. Every year his shooting % inside three feet has grown also. He's the best defensive center in the league, that being said he'd have to improve a lot on offense to be the best player on a contendor.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#22 » by AingesBurner » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:12 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:
Gobert isn't a top 15 player, you can't be a top player in the league without being able to be at least a first or second option on offense. He's an elite defensive center. Also if any team has the assets to get a deal done it's Boston.

Post all-star break Rudy looked like a pretty legit second option (17ppg in 24 games). I don't see why he can't do that in a full season, he's a lot more capable offensive player than he gets credit for. He certainly is in the debate as being a top 15 player. The most impactful post defender in the league, the only defensive player that is really his peer in terms of impact is Draymond. Offensively he is also hyper-efficient. I'm expecting around 16ppg next season on elite percentages again. I wouldn't make a trade of Rudy to Boston for any package that didn't include Kyrie, and Boston would have to add more to that package. I also think that other teams have better packages they could put together if we were dumb enough to trade him.

He doesn't have a game outside of three feet from the basket. Not even 1% of his shots were from outside ten feet and he shot 27% from 3-10 feet last season. His game is basically offensive rebounds, lobs, and sometimes lay ins off the pick n roll. Even Mutombo had somewhat of a post game and a small midrange game. Every year his shooting % inside three feet has grown also. He's the best defensive center in the league, that being said he'd have to improve a lot on offense to be the best player on a contendor.

He really hasn't been required to shoot the ball outside of 3 feet but if you look at his FT shooting percentages then you would probably realize he can shoot the ball, there's a clip of him sinking close to corner 3's in practice, he's going to be Utah's number one or two option this year, I think 18 ppg is conservative to what he can and will score.
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,301

Post#23 » by babyjax13 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:19 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Pretty awful return for Utah. Landing Gobert costs you the best assets on your team, period, not an injured player (who hopefully comes back and is effective, but might not), and a prospect with no NBA track record and major questions around his game (especially since the guy we drafted at 10 looked just as good, if not better in summer league). Furthermore, there is no way we would trade our best player to Boston after our other best player just signed there. Fans would be livid, and rightly so (especially at this price).

You mean the same player that couldn't even shoot 40% in summerleague? These summerleague overreactions are getting ridiculous(especially by espn). People do realize there's a big difference between a one and done 18/19 year old and guys like Mitchell and Kuzma who've spent two or threes years at school, playing good in the summer league doesn't equate to success in the regular season, nor does it put you on the same level as a top three pick.

I didn't say he was the second coming, I said he looked as good or better than Tatum in summer league. Tatum might be a good player, but there is nothing to suggest that his value is in the same ballpark as Gobert, and if you are suggesting that it is, then you aren't being objective at all.

It's not like Tatum was a consensus top 3 pick, either. Most indications were that teams valued Josh Jackson over him, and Fox/Isaac/Smith somewhere in the same area. Mitchell had some of the most impressive games of any rookie in SL, so if summer league means anything ever, it's always a good sign when players have big games. It doesn't mean it will translate, but it doesn't mean it won't translate. Mitchell obviously wasn't in the same draft-teir as Tatum, but Tatum still has major questions surrounding his defense and ability to score efficiently against NBA defenses. Those questions are too big for him to be the centerpiece in a deal for a young star locked up on a long-term deal, especially one as good as Rudy.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#24 » by bondom34 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:20 pm

You can definitely argue Gobert is top 15.

I'd honestly put him closer to 10, if not in the top 10.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,301

Post#25 » by babyjax13 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:21 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:

Tatum and Parker would have to improve even more, and in the case of Parker, become magically healthy. (also, I think it would be very easy to build a contender around Rudy)

Also FWIW, I'm not sure what box scores are accurate? I didn't think he shot sub 40%, he really only had one bad shooting performance + the first game which I always give a mulligan to rookies in the first summer league game...
https://www.slcdunk.com/2017/7/15/15961736/2017-summer-league-donovan-mitchell-comparison-utah-jazz-rookies-takeaways-historical

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#26 » by bondom34 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:21 pm

Oh and OP is way too good for Boston and bad for Utah. I didn't even look at the rest.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#27 » by Cappy_Smurf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:29 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Hmm yeah so probably not and Boston doesn't really have the assets for Utah to send them a top 15 player, so thanks but no thanks.

Gobert isn't a top 15 player, .

Correct.

He isn't top 15, he's top 10.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#28 » by Cappy_Smurf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:35 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Cappy_Smurf wrote:I really want to make an insulting counter offer, but then I'll just have to listen to Chuck lecture.

So I guess I'll just say **** no and **** Boston while we're at it.

<yes, I'm still salty over Haywood>

Sigh.... I don't like "lecturing" posters any more than you like hearing it. So don't say blank Boston and make me have to remind you that's unnecessary when replying to ideas--even ones you really don't like.

Thanks

Chuck (bad cop)

Lol. Didn't figure you'd let the **** Boston comment slide. However, since they just took Hayward from us for nothing, I take offense to trade offers that add insult to injury. Utah won't be making any deals with Boston any time soon, that don't result in Boston getting fleeced.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,861

Post#29 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:56 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:

This is flat incorrect. I mean do you think Draymond Green can be a 2nd option? Of course not, but he obviously is a top 15 guy and way better than the higher scoring Klay.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,596

Post#30 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:32 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:

Disagree tremendously on the idea that you cannot be a top 15 player in the league without scoring as a first or second option. When you break down the NBA champions, they almost always have a 1st team All NBA'er or a DPOTY. The top defensive player(s) in the league might not get the same credit as those first options, but they absolutely effect the game as much.

And disagree that Gobert is not already a top 15 player. He was 8th in the NBA in RPM for instance. 13th in BPM. 2nd in Win shares. Gobert changes games.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,193

Post#31 » by jbk1234 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:44 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:

He doesn't need one. If you help off of him near the basket, it's practically a guaranteed bucket after the pass.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#32 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:56 am

The two teams I watch the most are the Jazz and Celtics. I wouldn't trade any reasonable combination of players the Celts have now for Gobert. Maybe when Boston had both Brooklyn picks I would have done two Brooklyn picks and Crowder/Bradley. Maybe.

Tatum is a good player, and I was impressed with Danny's balls to grab him over Fultz. But having said that I am on record saying Fultz did not impress me and I don't think he is the next big thing. Hell I'm not convinced either Fultz or Tatum will have a better career than Donovan Mitchell. Both those guys being in the East have a huge advantage though.

So, to be polite I will say Utah declines the Celtic offer. And I would suggest you call the Clippers as another poster mentioned.

As a Celtic fan as well as a Jazz fan, I think Celt fans are going to be really pissed in 2-3 years. I don't see anyone they have becoming the great player they envisioned carrying the team. I think Danny brought in a weird combination of players and I'm not convinced it will all gel together. And no, I'm not salty and mad anymore. I just am disappointed in what Ainge has done. And Brad is a good enough coach he will have them in good playoff runs for the next 3-7 years. I just don't see them making huge leaps and overtaking LeBron and I can see Washington, Bucks, and Philly all giving the Celts trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#33 » by stitches » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:14 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Pretty awful return for Utah. Landing Gobert costs you the best assets on your team, period, not an injured player (who hopefully comes back and is effective, but might not), and a prospect with no NBA track record and major questions around his game (especially since the guy we drafted at 10 looked just as good, if not better in summer league). Furthermore, there is no way we would trade our best player to Boston after our other best player just signed there. Fans would be livid, and rightly so (especially at this price).

You mean the same player that couldn't even shoot 40% in summerleague? These summerleague overreactions are getting ridiculous(especially by espn). People do realize there's a big difference between a one and done 18/19 year old and guys like Mitchell and Kuzma who've spent two or threes years at school, playing good in the summer league doesn't equate to success in the regular season, nor does it put you on the same level as a top three pick.

Oh... so Tatum shooting 42% in summer league puts him in an entirely different league... Yeah...
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,949

Post#34 » by Drax » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:57 am

People calling Horford a bad contract is just awesome. I love it.

But yes Utah passes, Gobert is their building block no way the trade him.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#35 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:07 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Tatum and Parker would have to improve even more, and in the case of Parker, become magically healthy. (also, I think it would be very easy to build a contender around Rudy)

Also FWIW, I'm not sure what box scores are accurate? I didn't think he shot sub 40%, he really only had one bad shooting performance + the first game which I always give a mulligan to rookies in the first summer league game...
https://www.slcdunk.com/2017/7/15/15961736/2017-summer-league-donovan-mitchell-comparison-utah-jazz-rookies-takeaways-historical

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Donovan-Mitchell/Summary/76937

Mitchell did shoot below 40%. But summer league stats are worthless so it really doesn't mean anything.

stitches wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:

Oh... so Tatum shooting 42% in summer league puts him in an entirely different league... Yeah...

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Jayson-Tatum/Summary/52034

Tatum shot 44.6%. But again, summer league stats are worthless so it doesn't really mean anything.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,576

Post#36 » by jpengland » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:58 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:

Mutombo had a career high of 16ppg on 54% true shooting.

Gobert is a great roll man and hyper efficient. He absolutely impacts the game offensively.

He's also (for my money) the most impactful defensive player in the league
old ball coach
Junior
And1: 36

Post#37 » by old ball coach » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:01 pm

Its funny how every. Parker trade starts with he is junk or u will have to pay him but yet every team on this board pretty much wants him as a flyer so they can pay him ?? Buck keep him period

Sent from my LGLS991 using RealGM mobile app
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#38 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:40 pm

old ball coach wrote:Its funny how every. Parker trade starts with he is junk or u will have to pay him but yet every team on this board pretty much wants him as a flyer so they can pay him ?? Buck keep him period

Sent from my LGLS991 using RealGM mobile app

Not every team wants Parker. Don't let a few threads convince you otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,326

Post#39 » by brackdan70 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:56 pm

Boston loves it, Milwaukee and Utah not interested I would assume. Horford on Milwaukee could really give them a boost, but they are probably better off long term paying Parker.

Value for Gobert is way too light.
I don't see Utah moving him, but probably cutting out Milwaukee and Boston adding more to the package brings Value closer.
Utah would have to decide on going young and pushing window out a couple years..Tatum, Brown, Morris, LAL Pick is probably the type of Value it takes to get started.
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,326

Post#40 » by brackdan70 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:59 pm

stitches wrote:So Boston clears a bad contract AND gets Gobert for just Tatum? I guess Danny has really managed to convince people Tatum is the next big thing...

Nah. But thanks for asking. *hangs up*blocks number*

I don't really see Horford as a bad contract but in a trade situation that is a lot of money to be incoming.

you are right though, the OP is horrible for the Jazz.

Hasn't Utah already blocked Ainges number?
Sign here

Return to Trades and Transactions