Build the next NBA Champion through trade

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Djh7475
Pro Prospect
And1: 422

Build the next NBA Champion through trade 

Post#1 » by Djh7475 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:30 am

I've tried to come up with different trades that end with a team that I legitimately think could beat the Warriors, but I always end up struggling. I'm curious if anyone has an idea along those lines, but the closest I have gotten is at the deadline:

Timberwolves Out: KAT, Wiggins (extended), Dieng, Teague, and Aldrich
Timberwolves In: Kyrie, Middleton, Hayward, and Cousins

Pelicans Out: Cousins, Asik, and 2018 1st (lottery protected then top 10 then top 5 then unprotected)
Pelicans In: Brogdon and Horford

Bucks Out: Middleton, Teletovic, Brogdon, Monroe, and 2019 1st (top 10 protected, top 5 protected, then unprotected)
Bucks In: Teague, Wiggins, and Dieng

Celtics Out: Kyrie, Hayward, and Horford
Celtics In: KAT, Monroe, Asik, Teletovic, 2018 Pelicans 1st, and 2019 Bucks 1st

The Timberwolves do this deal bc it gives them the best shot they may ever have at winning a championship without giving them a super-limited window. Kyrie, Jimmy, Hayward, Middleton, and Cousins gives them 4 legitimate allstars and a near all-star that could stick with the Warriors small-ball lineups. They'd also have an elite 6th man in Jamal Crawford and a versatile big that can play the 4 or 5 in Taj Gibson. They could mix and match lineups to go big/small while fielding the only roster that could compete with the Warriors on paper and within individual matchups.

The Pelicans do this to unload Asik's burdensome contract (probably worth the 2018 1st on its own) while adding an epic fit in Al Horford next to AD and a young stud 3 and D SG who can swing between the 1 and the 3 against most teams. This trade assumes that the 2 big situation wouldn't be working out in Nola, so they get serious value out of Cousins before he walks for nothing and leaves AD in a position where he'd almost certainly demand a trade.

The Bucks do this because they get a young super high-upside SG, a legit offensive PG that can shoot, and a legit rim protector and rebounder in a packaged built around Brogdon and Middleton. They unload Teletovic's contract as well as Monroe's expiring deal. They also avoid selling low on Parker while his injury dampens his value. Teague, Wiggins, Snell/Parker, Giannis, and Dieng/Maker is a legitimate young 2-way squad.

The Celtics only do this if the 1st half of the season is a disaster and Kyrie, Hayward, and Horford doesn't live up to the hype while the youngsters (Smart/Rozier and Jaylen/Tatum/Ojeleye) start to look capable of replacing them. Acquiring a young superstar like Towns is essentially impossible without an overpay, so the Celtics give up an elite big 3 for what amounts to 1 incredibly valuable asset. The picks were primarily added to account for the unwanted contracts coming back and would more than likely we mid-to-late 1sts that could be packaged to move up in the draft.

Between a core of Smart, Rozier, Jaylen, Ojeleye, Tatum, Nader, Yabuselle, Towns, and all of the picks they'd have in 2018 (their own which would be high in this situation, the Pelicans, and the Lakers) and 2019 (their own which would be high in this situation, the Kings/76ers 1st if the Lakers pick didn't convey, the Grizzlies, the Bucks, and the Clippers), they'd be set up for the post-Warriors (& Timberwolves) era. By combining all of those picks into a top 2-3 pick in the next 2 drafts (if we didn't have one to begin with), they could land 2 more elite prospects.

I'm curious what people think of my proposed deal as well as if they have any other ideas that could build a team legitimately worth of challenging the Warriors. Most of the deals I came up with involved several stars signed under the old CBA going to up-coming teams with an already elite roster with an solid stash of assets. Most of my ideas involve one team selling the boat for an elite young star like Porzingis, KAT, Giannis, or Jokic. I'm curious what people can come up with since the Warriors are so far ahead of every body.
lakerhater
General Manager
And1: 1,887

Re: Build the next NBA Champion through trade 

Post#2 » by lakerhater » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:43 am

Not sure who hangs up the phone first between NOP, the Bucks or the Celtics. I'm going with NOP who uses Cousins to unload Asik while taking on Horford's huge contract.

The only strategy available to beat GSW is hope they have a rash of injuries.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,098

Post#3 » by Statlanta » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:50 am

Trade the the trade machine for a time machine.

Hope the GSW core gets less athletic and strike in 2020
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#4 » by VCfor3 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:24 am

Cavs trade: Osman, Zizic, Love, Thompson, Smith, Shumpert, Frye, Bkn 18, Cavs 21, Cavs 23
Cavs receive: Conley, Gasol,Green, PG

OKC trades: PG
OKC receives: Love

MEM trades: Conley, Gasol, Green
MEM receives: Osman, Zizic, Thompson, Smith, Shumpert, Frye, BKN 18, Cavs 21, Cavs 23

Cavs starting lineup:
PG: Conley/Thomas
SG: PG/Conley
SF: Lebron/PG
PF: Green/Lebron
C: Gasol

Crowder and Korver add depth and Green can play some 5 in small ball lineups to give Gasol a break.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#5 » by lakerhater » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:40 am

VCfor3 wrote:Cavs trade: Osman, Zizic, Love, Thompson, Smith, Shumpert, Frye, Bkn 18, Cavs 21, Cavs 23

MEM receives: Osman, Zizic, Thompson, Smith, Shumpert, Frye, BKN 18, Cavs 21, Cavs 23

Cavs starting lineup:

Crowder and Korver add depth and Green can play some 5 in small ball lineups to give Gasol a break.

The Griz get an incredible deal here. Young prospects, the BKN pick which should be in the top 7-10 range at worst plus 2 apparently unprotected post or at least old age Lebron Cavs picks for two aging stars and a mediocre starting PF.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#6 » by VCfor3 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:47 am

lakerhater wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Cavs trade: Osman, Zizic, Love, Thompson, Smith, Shumpert, Frye, Bkn 18, Cavs 21, Cavs 23

Cavs starting lineup:

The Griz get an incredible deal here. Young prospects, the BKN pick which should be in the top 7-10 range at worst plus 2 apparently unprotected post or at least old age Lebron Cavs picks for two aging stars and a mediocre starting PF.

I should clarify that those picks wouldn't be unprotected. Maybe have the 21 very lightly protected and then the 23 pick be better protected (the lighter the protections on 21, the heavier the protections on 23).
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:55 am

Cavs starting lineup:

I wouldn't trade that package for prime Conley/Gasol on their last contracts.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Post#8 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:56 am

lakerhater wrote:Not sure who hangs up the phone first between NOP, the Bucks or the Celtics. I'm going with NOP who uses Cousins to unload Asik while taking on Horford's huge contract.

The only strategy available to beat GSW is hope they have a rash of injuries.

The Celtics? The Celtics would do this trade in an absolute heart beat. Kyrie/Hayward/Horford doesnt get you KAT and 1sts. Hell nothing in the league short of possibly Giannis gets you KAT.

If the Celtics could roll with Smart/Brown/Tatum/KAT the LAL/Sac 1st, their first, Pelicans 1st, Memphis 1st, LAC 1st, Bucks 1st, They would do it in a heart beat. This literally sets them up to own the league in 3 years.

That being said, its downright terrible for the Pelicans. Horford IMO is not a positive asset especially to the Pelicans. If the Pelicans are trading Cousins it means Brogdan isn't worth that 1st. Cousins has more value than this.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#9 » by lakerhater » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:57 am

VCfor3 wrote:
lakerhater wrote:

Cavs starting lineup:

I should clarify that those picks wouldn't be unprotected. Maybe have the 21 very lightly protected and then the 23 pick be better protected (the lighter the protections on 21, the heavier the protections on 23).

Any chance you can specify the protections on both picks? It makes a big difference as to whether the Griz would do it or not.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#10 » by VCfor3 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:04 am

lakerhater wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
lakerhater wrote:

Any chance you can specify the protections on both picks? It makes a big difference as to whether the Griz would do it or not.

I was just trying to quickly spit ball a trade that would net a contender but I can take a stab at it.

2021 pick - Top 5 protected in 21, Top 1-2 protected in 22 and then converts to two seconds
2023 pick - Lottery protected in 23 (or 24 if 21 converted in 22) and converts to a 2nd.

That way the grizzlies should get either 1 high first (with Cleveland still having some safeguards against a super high pick) and a second or two middle or later firsts. There is a small chance they get three really good 2nds or one really good first and one decent first instead as well to keep things interesting.
Djh7475
Pro Prospect
And1: 422

Post#11 » by Djh7475 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:49 pm

OrlandoTill wrote:Trade the the trade machine for a time machine.

Hope the GSW core gets less athletic and strike in 2020

Unfortunately, I seem to agree. It seems like building a trade that works for all parties that builds a team that at least looks competitive against the Warriors on paper is impossible. The only way I see it happening is the a young team flush with matchable contracts, cap space, and high end assets deciding to jump into the deep end. Plus, they'd need 2 near contenders to decide to tear it down at the same time. Incredibly difficult to find a way unless you could trade a 2nd for a time machine and kidnap KD until the Warriors used all their cap space last offseason.
Bakuto
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,301

Post#12 » by Bakuto » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:58 pm

Op's trade is really bad for New Orleans. Horford does nothing for that team that Cousins already doesn't do at a high level and Brogdon isn't even close to the worth of the difference.
Kobe System wrote:I won't touch Drummond's contract. I'd rather have Deng and Mozgov's contract tbh.

Collymore wrote:Jay Tatum is a better prospect than Lebron James was at his age.

:noway:
Jaw
Bench Warmer
And1: 466

Post#13 » by Jaw » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:23 pm

lakerhater wrote:

Cavs starting lineup:

Something like this I think is the best bet (not sure they beat Warriors since they play so cohesively but it would give Cavs the ability to compete on paper from a talent perspective even if depth is lacking some). Cavs didn't have the defense or offense (when Lebron was off) to compete with the Warriors. A Love for George swap (although I don't blame Love as much as media seems to) would go a long way in addressing both of these deficiencies (I don't think its completely unrealistic but it would have to be a desperate move by Thunder if their season isn't going well and George isn't fitting in well likely close to the deadline).

Cavs turning the BKN pick into a usable player(s) is also a clear way for Cavs to improve. I think Grizzlies would be a great destination since they look like a team that won't make the playoffs, has two declining stars and not much promising young talent. Getting Green too as a guy who can stretch the floor some and play a little defense wouldn't be a bad addition either. Grizzlies don't seem interested in rebuilding but I think this is foolish and they should highly consider this type of offer. Maybe try to flip Thompson, Smith and Shumpert to more win-now teams so they can get more rebuilding assets (Not sure how salary works but ideally Cavs would keep Shumpert or JR; would a Korver for Daniels addition help make that possible?) .

Other than that it would take an unbelievable trade where a team like Sixers or Twolves turn their young talent into win-now stars which is hard to conceptualize from a value standpoint with such high profile prospects and names changing teams in franchise and league altering moves.

The smarter move is to just wait 2 or 3 years and hope Klay or Green leaves and through natural aging of the team you can beat them. I think Celtics, Bucks and Twolves are poised to take this route especially with Lebron possibly on his way out.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,560

Post#14 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:23 pm

Thompson, Frye, 2018 Brooklyn 1st, 2022 Cleveland 1st
for
Gobert, Bolomboy
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#15 » by rugbyrugger23 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:33 pm

Trade 1- (now)
To Wolves: McBuckets + Singler
To OKC: Aldrich + 2018 OKC 1st Returned*
*Which (I think) activates/accelerates 1st owed to Magic -- assuming 2018 1st is 21+ (outside protections), now conveys to Magic.

Trade 2- (2018 offseason)
To Hawks: Patterson + Abriness
To OKC: Cavs 2019 (top 10 protected 1st) + Pure Cap Space

2018 Free Agency:
Westbrook and George love playing together so much, they OPT-IN to their 18/19 1 year contracts. Why...LBJ signs 1+1 in OKC for all the cleared cap created by Presti (around 25mil). In other words, pulls a KD.

GSW Beating Lineup:
Westbrook vs. Curry- who doesn't want to see this matchup every WCF?
Roberson vs. Klay- another interesting one, can Roberson shut him down?
George vs. KD- who doesn't want to see this matchup every WCF?
LBJ vs. Green- this is great television here!
Adams vs. Committee of ZP/McGee- Adams might be OKC X factor.

GSW would have the bench advantage but they are getting long in the tooth, so I think easy for OKC to sign exception level players and ring chasers to match their bench.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#16 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:36 am

For me most realistic chance is the Cavs trading their BKN pick. BKN pick/Shump/JR for George would give them two wings they didn't have last in George and Crowder to put on Durant/Klay. I could see that giving them a chance. Or BKN pick for Cousins and just try to punish Warriors
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#17 » by Kings2013 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:48 am

Hurts the Celtics for sure in a win now window. But then I'm personally not as high on KAT as many others

Return to Trades and Transactions