Rockets/Knicks/Bulls/Suns

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Rockets/Knicks/Bulls/Suns 

Post#1 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:13 pm

This is my last idea for the Rockets to acquire Melo without giving up Ariza.

To Houston (Trade Anderson, Onuaku, Quarterman, Long, Rights to Hartenstein, 1st, 2nd)
-Carmelo Anthony

To New York (Trade Anthony)
-Brandon Knight
-2018 Miami or Memphis or Charlotte 2nd round pick
-2020 Houston 1st round pick (The 2018 1st they owe Atlanta becomes unprotected)

To Chicago (Trade protected 2nd)
-Chianu Onuaku
-Tim Quarterman
-Shawn Long *waive*

To Phoenix (Trade Knight)
-Ryan Anderson
-Rights to Isaiah Hartenstein
-2021 Chicago 2nd round pick (31-55 protected)
-2022 Houston 2nd round pick

Why?
-The Rockets keep Ariza as part of top 8 rotation to remain in win now mode.

Paul/Brown/Taylor
Harden/Gordon/
Ariza/Moute/Williams/Oliver
Anthony/Tucker/Qi
Capella/Black/Nene

-The Knicks shave $13 million off the books in salary/$8 million in cap space for this season, save $14 million next season while picking up 2 picks. Knights contract expires once Ntilikina is due for an extension.

Sessions/Ntilikina/Randle/Knight
Hardaway/Lee/Baker
Kuzminkas/Thomas
Porzingis/Beasley/Hayes
O'Quinn/Hernangomez/Noah

-The Bulls fill out roster with cheap young talent while renouncing Mirotic and Morrow. This gives them $18 million in cap space if they want to leverage that to pick up more immediate picks by absorbing bad contracts via trade.

Dunn/Grant/Payne
Wade/Holliday/Quarterman/LaVine
Valentine/Zipser/Pondexter
Portis/Markannen/
Lopez/Felicio/Onuaku/

-The Suns add a stretch 4 who could start, renounce Len as they can play Chriss at the 5 and pick up further prospect/picks. By renouncing Len, the Suns have about $11 million in cap space if they want to sign a short term veteran PG (CJ Watson?, Trey Burke?) .

Bledsoe/Ulis/FA?
Booker/Dudley/Reed
Jackson/Warren/Jones
Anderson/Bender/
Chriss/Chandler/Williams
Jaw
Bench Warmer
And1: 466

Re: Rockets/Knicks/Bulls/Suns 

Post#2 » by Jaw » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:38 pm

This is the same problem with most Melo to Houston trades; nobody wants Anderson and Rockets don't really have enough to give up to convince another team to take him. I think Suns would need more compensation. Knight's 3 yr 43 mill is significantly better than Anderson's 3yr 61 mill especially since Knight (when healthy) is a more versatile player that fits in more lineups and his lower salary easier to dump. Phoenix doesn't project to be bad forever so paying Anderson 21 mill in 2 years is not something I think they'd want to sign up for. Phoenix can renounce Len and start Chriss at center without taking on Anderson's awful contract. Dudley isn't a sg and is probably best suited at pf at this stage of his career so they could play around with him, Bender and even Jackson and Warren at pf.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,143

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:47 pm

Jaw wrote:This is the same problem with most Melo to Houston trades; nobody wants Anderson and Rockets don't really have enough to give up to convince another team to take him. I think Suns would need more compensation. Knight's 3 yr 43 mill is significantly better than Anderson's 3yr 61 mill especially since Knight (when healthy) is a more versatile player that fits in more lineups and his lower salary easier to dump. Phoenix doesn't project to be bad forever so paying Anderson 21 mill in 2 years is not something I think they'd want to sign up for. Phoenix can renounce Len and start Chriss at center without taking on Anderson's awful contract. Dudley isn't a sg and is probably best suited at pf at this stage of his career so they could play around with him, Bender and even Jackson and Warren at pf.

It would cost you a first to move either of those players IMO. Ryan can at least add value on the court. But the problem remains the same. Knicks don't want to give up Melo for free which is what they're doing if they only get a single first and have to take back a bad contract.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Bentley1225
RealGM

Post#4 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:51 pm

Jaw wrote:This is the same problem with most Melo to Houston trades; nobody wants Anderson and Rockets don't really have enough to give up to convince another team to take him. I think Suns would need more compensation. Knight's 3 yr 43 mill is significantly better than Anderson's 3yr 61 mill especially since Knight (when healthy) is a more versatile player that fits in more lineups and his lower salary easier to dump. Phoenix doesn't project to be bad forever so paying Anderson 21 mill in 2 years is not something I think they'd want to sign up for. Phoenix can renounce Len and start Chriss at center without taking on Anderson's awful contract. Dudley isn't a sg and is probably best suited at pf at this stage of his career so they could play around with him, Bender and even Jackson and Warren at pf.

Well in this case Phoenix gets Anderson, who is a more valuable piece than Knight, for $18 million more over 3 years which equates to $6 million year. I dont think that changes the Suns direction in terms of building through draft. Once they select ideally a PG in the 2018 draft, they will have a foundation of 2018 picks, Ulis, Booker, Reed, Jackson, Warren, Jones Jr. Bender, Chriss, Williams as young pieces which equates to 11 roster spots. Bledsoe, Dudley, Anderson and Chandler are their 4 veteran pieces. Bledsoe/Dudley/Chandler all expire in 2019 when Booker will be due an extension. Chriss and Bender will be due extensions once Anderson expires in 2020. The Suns could hypothetically deal Bledsoe and/or Dudley at the 2018 draft as their 2018 1st round picks could replace both guys.
Bentley1225
RealGM

Post#5 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:56 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

It would cost you a first to move either of those players IMO. Ryan can at least add value on the court. But the problem remains the same. Knicks don't want to give up Melo for free which is what they're doing if they only get a single first and have to take back a bad contract.

I dont think the Knicks can do better than a 1st, 2nd and over $13 million cap savings over the next 2 seasons in a trade for Melo given his limited trade market/no trade clause. Knight I think has some value as a backup PG in this case if Knicks feel Ntilikina can become a starter. Knight expires before Ntilikina is due an extension off of his rookie contract. If not than, the Knicks are using cap space where they otherwise want flexibility to sign a starting PG either in 2018 or 2019.
Jaw
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by Jaw » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:01 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

Ya both Knight and Anderson have negative deals and Anderson's contract is worse but he is a better player so it could even out. I just don't think either would be in Suns plans and they don't really need Anderson's play this year or probably next year and by the 3rd year they'd hope Bender and Chriss or even someone they draft in the meantime would be getting most big men minutes which makes the 21 mill Anderson would make as a backup a more detrimental than Knight's 15 mill (if healthy I think Knight can be a solid backup combo guard).

It's been a pity how Knight's once promising career has been derailed by injuries. He was real good before the Suns dealt Tyler Ennis (#18 pick in previous draft), Miles Plumlee and Lakers pick (same Lakers pick that Celtics/ Sixers have and will likely be a top 10 pick in upcoming draft but was a 2015 protected pick at the time) for him and put him in their awkward 2 point guard system. He is only 25 so he may still have a chance to be a solid (albeit expensive) backup.
Bentley1225
RealGM

Post#7 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:10 pm

Jaw wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Ya both Knight and Anderson have negative deals and Anderson's contract is worse but he is a better player so it could even out. I just don't think either would be in Suns plans and they don't really need Anderson's play this year or probably next year and by the 3rd year they'd hope Bender and Chriss or even someone they draft in the meantime would be getting most big men minutes which makes the 21 mill Anderson would make as a backup a more detrimental than Knight's 15 mill (if healthy I think Knight can be a solid backup combo guard).

It's been a pity how Knight's once promising career has been derailed by injuries. He was real good before the Suns dealt Tyler Ennis (#18 pick in previous draft), Miles Plumlee and Lakers pick (same Lakers pick that Celtics/ Sixers have and will likely be a top 10 pick in upcoming draft but was a 2015 protected pick at the time) for him and put him in their awkward 2 point guard system. He is only 25 so he may still have a chance to be a solid (albeit expensive) backup.

My thought was Anderson would start this year for Suns with Bender backing him up as moving into 2018-19 season and 2019-2020, Bender would start and Anderson would be backing him up. Its tough for Bender to go from playing less than 600 minutes last season to starting this season. Given that circumstance and that Knight is out all this is season, I think the Anderson contract vs. Knight contract is break even for the Suns as spreading the sunk cost of Knights contract for this season over the final 2 years of his deal (2018-19 + 2019-20) is the same amount Anderson is owed over those same years. However, the cap hit is different hence why the Suns get Hartenstein and a 2nd.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I dont think the Knicks can do better than a 1st, 2nd and over $13 million cap savings over the next 2 seasons in a trade for Melo given his limited trade market/no trade clause. Knight I think has some value as a backup PG in this case if Knicks feel Ntilikina can become a starter. Knight expires before Ntilikina is due an extension off of his rookie contract. If not than, the Knicks are using cap space where they otherwise want flexibility to sign a starting PG either in 2018 or 2019.

Melo can agree to a buy out. That's how the Knicks can do better. He can leave a good chunk of this season's salary, and all of next year's salary on the table. Alternatively, he can increase the number of teams on his list.

Knight had negative trade value on that contract before he tore his ACL and was out for the year. All that's changed with the injury is the type of pick that would have to be attached to him.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Jaw
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by Jaw » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:32 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:
Jaw wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

My thought was Anderson would start this year for Suns with Bender backing him up as moving into 2018-19 season and 2019-2020, Bender would start and Anderson would be backing him up. Its tough for Bender to go from playing less than 600 minutes last season to starting this season. Given that circumstance and that Knight is out all this is season, I think the Anderson contract vs. Knight contract is break even for the Suns as spreading the sunk cost of Knights contract for this season over the final 2 years of his deal (2018-19 + 2019-20) is the same amount Anderson is owed over those same years. However, the cap hit is different hence why the Suns get Hartenstein and a 2nd.

The way I see it Suns shouldn't be focused on the short term. If Bender isn't ready to play more minutes they can easily plug anybody in to absorb minutes, it doesn't have to be a guy making Anderson money or a guy as good as Anderson since they aren't going to be a good team regardless (in fact a worse player helps them improve their odds at getting a higher pick). For similar reason I don't think Knight being out necessarily hurts since he wasn't going to make a difference anyway and somebody else (someone on roster already or a FA) can absorb his minutes. For this reason I think the Suns (who will have a lot of cap space) would be better off just keeping Knight since he doesn't take up as much cap space and I think if it came to moving him in a year or two he'd be easier to move than Anderson (this part is debatable). I could understand if they were getting more compensation but I don't see Anderson adding enough meaningful minutes to justify taking up like 7 mill per year more of their cap for the next 3 years. If Booker continues his development and their other young guys improve they could be in the running for major FA in the next year or two and that 7 mill could help a lot to fill out the roster and still get a max guy.
Bentley1225
RealGM

Post#10 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:54 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Melo can agree to a buy out. That's how the Knicks can do better. He can leave a good chunk of this season's salary, and all of next year's salary on the table. Alternatively, he can increase the number of teams on his list.

Knight had negative trade value on that contract before he tore his ACL and was out for the year. All that's changed with the injury is the type of pick that would have to be attached to him.

Well it depends what Melo would agree to in a buyout relative to the Knight contract amount + 1st rounder + 2nd rounder in this case. Melo is owed $54 million over the next 2 years if he exercises his player option. Knight is owed $26 million over next 2 years. If Melo agrees to a buyout less than $26 million, then it makes sense for the Knicks to buy him out based on this trade idea. I dont see Melo agreeing to a buy out until 2018 off-season. If a team he wants to go to can pay him $28 million over next 2 years, then Im sure he would accept a smaller buy out from Knicks and this trade idea is moot.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:

Well it depends what Melo would agree to in a buyout relative to the Knight contract amount + 1st rounder + 2nd rounder in this case. Melo is owed $54 million over the next 2 years if he exercises his player option. Knight is owed $26 million over next 2 years. If Melo agrees to a buyout less than $26 million, then it makes sense for the Knicks to buy him out based on this trade idea. I dont see Melo agreeing to a buy out until 2018 off-season. If a team he wants to go to can pay him $28 million over next 2 years, then Im sure he would accept a smaller buy out from Knicks and this trade idea is moot.

If I'm the Knicks, I'm very clear with Melo, ahead of time, that if he opts in, nothing's changed. But I honestly don't see Melo staying with a rebuilding team for the next two years. Jordan, LBJ, PG, CP3, & Wade will all be free agents next summer. The post-season success train is leaving the station for Melo.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Bentley1225
RealGM

Post#12 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Jaw wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:
Jaw wrote:

The way I see it Suns shouldn't be focused on the short term. If Bender isn't ready to play more minutes they can easily plug anybody in to absorb minutes, it doesn't have to be a guy making Anderson money or a guy as good as Anderson since they aren't going to be a good team regardless (in fact a worse player helps them improve their odds at getting a higher pick). For similar reason I don't think Knight being out necessarily hurts since he wasn't going to make a difference anyway and somebody else (someone on roster already or a FA) can absorb his minutes. For this reason I think the Suns (who will have a lot of cap space) would be better off just keeping Knight since he doesn't take up as much cap space and I think if it came to moving him in a year or two he'd be easier to move than Anderson (this part is debatable). I could understand if they were getting more compensation but I don't see Anderson adding enough meaningful minutes to justify taking up like 7 mill per year more of their cap for the next 3 years. If Booker continues his development and their other young guys improve they could be in the running for major FA in the next year or two and that 7 mill could help a lot to fill out the roster and still get a max guy.

Solid points. In the end, if the Suns want to target landing a big free agent in 2019, then acquiring Anderson makes even less sense. If they want to build with youth movement given existing core and 2, 2018 1st round picks, Anderson doesn't hurt that direction.
Bentley1225
RealGM

Post#13 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:59 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

If I'm the Knicks, I'm very clear with Melo, ahead of time, that if he opts in, nothing's changed. But I honestly don't see Melo staying with a rebuilding team for the next two years.

Solid point. Apart of me thinks Melo just wants to ride his existing contract out, not give up anything (other than maybe his 15% trade kicker) and then ring chase for the last 2-3 years of his career on for example, bi-annual exemption contract on a contender.
Jaw
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by Jaw » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:11 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:
Jaw wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:

Solid points. In the end, if the Suns want to target landing a big free agent in 2019, then acquiring Anderson makes even less sense. If they want to build with youth movement given existing core and 2, 2018 1st round picks, Anderson doesn't hurt that direction.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive although it would be using cap space for more support players rather than one or two big names. Suns could also opt to move some of young pieces for a big name in which having Anderson's contract as an expiring wouldn't really hurt. I just don't see Anderson helping (Suns should be focused on development not winning and they can find a cheaper mentor) so I'd prefer the cap space which can be put to use to add talent or take another bad contract (and hopefully get better compensation than 2nd rounders).
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#15 » by red96 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:11 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

If I'm the Knicks, I'm very clear with Melo, ahead of time, that if he opts in, nothing's changed. But I honestly don't see Melo staying with a rebuilding team for the next two years. Jordan, LBJ, PG, CP3, & Wade will all be free agents next summer. The post-season success train is leaving the station for Melo.
I don't think Melo is looking at next off-season in that way. If he was, why not open his list to teams like OKC, Blazers, ect. if its just 1 year before the opt out? He seems to only want Houston because he wants to opt-in. Houston is better and has less roster questions after this season.
And he would probably miss that train regardless. Which teams that could/would sign any of LBJ, Paul, PG, ect. would/could pay Melo anything close to the $28m he'd get if he opts in? He'd likely end up closer to the MLE than $28 million. Imo it would make more $ sense to collect cash and just ring chase the next season, and Melo has always "got his money right" first.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
clpp01
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#16 » by clpp01 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:27 pm

Suns say no, it would take more then 2 2nd round picks for Phoenix to agree to swap Knight's contract for Anderson's. More importantly though is that there simply isn't much (if any room) in the Suns rotation for Anderson. The 3 & 4 spots are already locked down by Jackson, Warren, Chriss & Bender which means Anderson would have to share whatever minutes are left with Jared Dudley.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,920

Post#17 » by ChettheJet » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:53 pm

In what bizzaro world do the Bulls give up a second round pick to take on 3rd and 4th stringers to fill out the roster? They could go down to any local park and sign two guys off the playground for the minimum and keep the pick. Every one of these is worse than the one before.
Bentley1225
RealGM

Post#18 » by Bentley1225 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:46 am

ChettheJet wrote:In what bizzaro world do the Bulls give up a second round pick to take on 3rd and 4th stringers to fill out the roster? They could go down to any local park and sign two guys off the playground for the minimum and keep the pick. Every one of these is worse than the one before.

So worst case scenario the Bulls give up the #56 pick 4 drafts from now. Sorry, I didn't know Bulls fans cared so much about late second round picks in distant drafts.
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,882

Post#19 » by LarsV8 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:27 am

This is a no.

The offer for Melo is Anderson and non guaranteed contracts.

Nothing more.
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#20 » by FutureKnicksGM » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:50 am

Bentley1225 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

And what can the Rockets do that is even close to Melo, when all they offer is Ryno? He has an insanely limited trade market, doesn't need a NTC.

Return to Trades and Transactions