Summer 2019, better balance between West and East?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

Summer 2019, better balance between West and East? 

Post#1 » by DeathLineup » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:05 pm

Do you see a better balance between West and East next summer? Stars moving from West to East, either via trade or free agency. Currently, the disparity of talent between West and East is so embarassing.

2018 star free agents:
    > LeBron James
    > Kevin Durant
    > Russell Westbrook
    > Chris Paul
    > Paul George
    > DeMarcus Cousins
    > DeAndre Jordan
#thevillain
Jaw
Bench Warmer
And1: 466

Re: Summer 2019, better balance between West and East? 

Post#2 » by Jaw » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:28 pm

I mean all those guys except Lebron are already in the west so there is certainly potential for the east to improve. I still don't think its likely we see any major changes in the east's favor next summer. I assume all these guys at this stage of their careers would want to play on a good team (with exception of maybe Cousins all these guys are already on likely playoff teams) and there aren't too many good teams with cap space to add one of those guys period let alone in the eastern conference. If Bucks can clear some salary I think they'd be a great destination for Cousins or Jordan also, Philly could be a good, young team on the rise with cap space except I don't see any of these guys outside of maybe George being great fits (obviously if any of these guys wanted to go to Philly for whatever reason I'm sure Philly would do what is necessary to make room and try to accommodate without moving Fultz, Simmons and Embiid).

Sign and trade deals are never out of the question and I think we will see more of those with so little teams having cap space to sign big names like these but sign and trades are difficult to predict.
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

Post#3 » by DeathLineup » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:31 pm

Jaw wrote:I mean all those guys except Lebron are already in the west so there is certainly potential for the east to improve. I still don't think its likely we see any major changes in the east's favor next summer. I assume all these guys at this stage of their careers would want to play on a good team (with exception of maybe Cousins all these guys are already on likely playoff teams) and there aren't too many good teams with cap space to add one of those guys period let alone in the eastern conference. If Bucks can clear some salary I think they'd be a great destination for Cousins or Jordan also, Philly could be a good, young team on the rise with cap space except I don't see any of these guys outside of maybe George being great fits (obviously if any of these guys wanted to go to Philly for whatever reason I'm sure Philly would do what is necessary to make room and try to accommodate without moving Fultz, Simmons and Embiid).

Sign and trade deals are never out of the question and I think we will see more of those with so little teams having cap space to sign big names like these but sign and trades are difficult to predict.

The thing is, don't think there is any attractive landing spot for star free agents to go East. Boston won't do anything crazy anymore. Philadelphia are just too young. New York are just a mess. Milwaukee don't have the big city vibes that stars need for their marketing. Toronto, Washington and Cleveland simply don't have the space.

East is screwed. Totally screwed.
#thevillain
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,142

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:41 pm

I expect there to be less competitive balance generally w/o regard to conference. Those guys are going to try to join forces on the same team, or a couple different teams, to take down the Warriors.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Jaw
Bench Warmer
And1: 466

Post#5 » by Jaw » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:17 pm

DeathLineup wrote:
Jaw wrote:I mean all those guys except Lebron are already in the west so there is certainly potential for the east to improve. I still don't think its likely we see any major changes in the east's favor next summer. I assume all these guys at this stage of their careers would want to play on a good team (with exception of maybe Cousins all these guys are already on likely playoff teams) and there aren't too many good teams with cap space to add one of those guys period let alone in the eastern conference. If Bucks can clear some salary I think they'd be a great destination for Cousins or Jordan also, Philly could be a good, young team on the rise with cap space except I don't see any of these guys outside of maybe George being great fits (obviously if any of these guys wanted to go to Philly for whatever reason I'm sure Philly would do what is necessary to make room and try to accommodate without moving Fultz, Simmons and Embiid).

The thing is, don't think there is any attractive landing spot for star free agents to go East. Boston won't do anything crazy anymore. Philadelphia are just too young. New York are just a mess. Milwaukee don't have the big city vibes that stars need for their marketing. Toronto, Washington and Cleveland simply don't have the space.

East is screwed. Totally screwed.

I agree. Maybe Philly takes a big jump this year but it'll likely require the star to take a bit of a leap of faith and gamble on their young guys panning out and Embiid staying healthy. I think Bucks are the best team with a clear need for another superstar especially at the 5 and depending on how Parker situation sorts out and if they use picks/ young assets to dump Henson, Telly and/or Delly they'd be working with a fair amount of money. Milwaukee still isn't a sexy destination but maybe the prospects of winning, playing in the east that could potentially be without Lebron and alongside Giannis who looks to be Lebron's heir to the next big thing out does that for some of those guys (some of their brands are already well established so maybe they don't take that big of a hit going to Milwaukee).

Return to Trades and Transactions