CLE/NY + CHI or MIN?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Birdie
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,516

CLE/NY + CHI or MIN? 

Post#1 » by Birdie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:03 pm

Deal #1

CLE receives
Carmelo Anthony

NY receives
Dwayne Wade (prior to deal, wink wink deal, he'll be bought out from 15-20mil so he can eventually sign with CLE)
Walter Taveras (waive)
2018 CLE 1st

CHI receives
Iman Shumpert
Channing Frye (waive or keep)
Richard Jefferson (waive or keep)
2019 MIN or LAL 2nd

CHI returns the favor to CLE in facilitating Dunleavey/DWade deal so NY doesn't have to eat Shump's contract as CHI gonna suck and got around 10mil in cap space to carry him. Pretty salary neutral for CHI instead of having to buyout DWade and get nothing in return. Nothing special, I agree as it's pretty much musical chairs of contracts just to pick up a 2nd rounder.

NY in essence is paying 15-20mil for a crappy 1st rd pick and having a clean cap sheet for 2019 and beyond. They also would cut 6mil in salary this year as well in the move. This deal and the one I'll propose below, I think, are the best "financial" deals for NY if that's the route they wanna take as opposed to holding onto to Melo thinking someone gonna give a prospect or a #14-23 type 1st rd pick. Melo's salary and the fact PJ destroyed his trade value, I don't see another GM pulling a Billy King.

As for CLE, for me, they don't give up much to get Melo's offensive talent. They still retain the BK pick and they clear out some dead weight to open up roster spots. Obv, CLE would sign DWade and then they'd have 1 roster spot open to use on anyone. Only downside of this deal for CLE would be jumping their tax back up from 30 to 50-60 mil range cuz they'd be adding 5-9mil more in salary.

or

Deal #2

CLE receives
Carmelo Anthony

NY receives
Cole Aldrich (only 2mil GTD in 2018)
Channing Frye (maybe waive?)
Richard Jefferson (waive)
Kay Felder (waive)
2018 CLE 1st

MIN receives
Iman Shumpert
2019 MIN or LAL 2nd

Personally, I think this deal is more feasible for all teams involved, especially, like I said, if NY is just looking to rid itself of Melo, wants a 1st, even if value sucks and get cap relief this year and future. I don't think NY can find a better deal where they have to choose to take a mediocre player who's signed past 2 years that really doesn't fit into their timeline of competing or growing with their nucleus.

For CLE, it's a no brainer for me. Low risk, high reward as it not only somewhat replaces Kyrie's loss of playmaking ability/another iso type guy who can get his shot but there would be no excuse for Lue not give LBJ a break when you got Melo on the floor. This deal also opens up roster spots for Cavs as DWade to CLE is almost inevitable. I'd have to believe Melo would quickly warm to the idea now that the Kyrie debacle as passed over and seeing HOU just doesn't have the pieces to get Melo without seriously gutting some of their core pieces (i.e. Capela/Ariza/Gordon) or even more future 1sts, which I doubt, Morey is even considering.

I think this would be a nice lowkey shrewd move on CLE's part without compromising that BK pick while also giving us another playmaker in case IT4 doesn't comeback the same. But man, if IT4 comes back healthy, a roster of;

IT4/Rose/Calderon
JR/DWade/Korver/Cedi
LBJ/Crowder/Green
Love/Melo
TT/Zizic

I'd take it. 8-) Let's get it done.
Come at the king, you best not miss...
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Re: CLE/NY + CHI or MIN? 

Post#2 » by Rockazoids » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:04 pm

The Knicks are not paying $15 M to $ 20 M for what some as you call a "crap pick"
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,128

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:21 pm

It's really hard to put together a Melo to the Cavs trade that makes sense unless Love is going out for either PG or Cousins at the deadline. I'll be surprised if Melo is still on the Knicks at the deadline.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Birdie
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by Birdie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:55 pm

Rockazoids wrote:The Knicks are not paying $15 M to $ 20 M for what some as you call a "crap pick"

I don't necessarily disagree with that sentiment. As I said, it all depends on what NY's motivations are. What other team is offering a 2018 1st where NY doesn't have any salary obligations past this upcoming season? I can't think of any, especially, any that Melo would waive his NTC. That's all I'm sayin.

I mean, what's the alternative is my question? Keep Melo, pay him 26mil, have him opt-in again and you're back to having to trade him to where he wants to go at a slightly higher salary than 2017-2018 season? And again, do you see any team across the league giving up a 2018/2019 1st rd pick that's valued between #10-25? I don't see it.

I mean, if Melo would be willing to just take a 20mil buyout, that solves all NY's problems but I got a feeling, he wants close to if not all his 50+mil left on his deal. This was more a last ditch effort deal that NY gets something of what is most likely crap offers out there.

Or, as I've seen a few NY fans have said, just hold onto him and let it be. To each their own.
Birdie
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by Birdie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:00 pm

jbk1234 wrote:It's really hard to put together a Melo to the Cavs trade that makes sense unless Love is going out for either PG or Cousins at the deadline. I'll be surprised if Melo is still on the Knicks at the deadline.

For me, with how the Warriors operate, positional balance is the least of worries. I think Melo and Love can co-exist in a funky lineup concoction with the personnel we have.

I know one thing, Melo sure would soften the loss of Kyrie's playmaking ability/IT4's injury while he gets back to strength. And I think Melo could play an offensive dynamo Iggy type 6th man role/quasi starter where you don't need to play LBJ or Melo big minutes either. It would be a travesty if Lue couldn't find a way to have Melo/LBJ avg 27-33MPG by staggering the different pieces we have.

That's how I'm looking at it. I think it's worth the risk as opposed to dumping the BK for a rental in PG/Cousins at the expense of Love. And NY seems ripe for the picking to basically get rid of some of our dead weight/open up roster spots in one swoop. Was just a thought.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#6 » by Stillwater » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:28 pm

Interesting trade, I don't think Cavs would do that to Shumpert though.Maybe, but if they start shipping rotation players from a contending roster to dead ends and they won't get anyone to come there w/out a no trade clause.
I don't think Carmelo is the answer either. Honestly would rather keep Shumpert if they don't make a move for a elite level defensive guard to make up for Shumps tenacity on that end of the court,even though he is not elite in that department he is a lot better that Rose,IT4 Calderon,Felder and on par with J.R.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Stillwater wrote:Interesting trade, I don't think Cavs would do that to Shumpert though.Maybe, but if they start shipping rotation players from a contending roster to dead ends and they won't get anyone to come there w/out a no trade clause.
I don't think Carmelo is the answer either. Honestly would rather keep Shumpert if they don't make a move for a elite level defensive guard to make up for Shumps tenacity on that end of the court,even though he is not elite in that department he is a lot better that Rose,IT4 Calderon,Felder and on par with J.R.

This is where I'm at. JR can't be the best defensive guard on the roster and Rose can't be the best defensive PG on your roster. It's not exactly like we've got Noel playing behind these guys.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Birdie
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by Birdie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:42 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Interesting trade, I don't think Cavs would do that to Shumpert though.Maybe, but if they start shipping rotation players from a contending roster to dead ends and they won't get anyone to come there w/out a no trade clause.

This is where I'm at. JR can't be the best defensive guard on the roster and Rose can't be the best defensive PG on your roster. It's not exactly like we've got Noel playing behind these guys.

I somewhat agree with your guys' assessment. But I'm over the Shump train. For 10mil, I don't think it's worth carrying his salary or giving minutes to when there will be a logjam at the 2 with JR/Korver/DWade and possibly Cedi...Having Crowder/Green pretty much negates anything Shump would be bringing to the table.

And the only guards of defensive acumen I would LOVE to have is Beverley and/or Bradley but sorry, no way is DET/LAC trading them to us for our lowly 2018 CLE 1st. So, I think we should be looking elsewhere in ways to make our team more potent offensive wise if we can.

Now, if NOP wanna do AD for Love + Shump + 2018 BK, then hell yea but that's a pipe dream...

I think turning Ky + Shump + RJ + Frye + 2018 CLE 1st into Melo, IT4, Crowder, Zizic, BK 2018 1st, Rose, Green, Cedi isn't a bad tradeoff when you look at it in that sort of macro viewpoint.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:44 pm

Birdie wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I somewhat agree with your guys' assessment. But I'm over the Shump train. For 10mil, I don't think it's worth carrying his salary or giving minutes to when there will be a logjam at the 2 with JR/Korver/DWade and possibly Cedi...Having Crowder/Green pretty much negates anything Shump would be bringing to the table.

And the only guards of defensive acumen I would LOVE to have is Beverley and/or Bradley but sorry, no way is DET/LAC trading them to us for our lowly 2018 CLE 1st. So, I think we should be looking elsewhere in ways to make our team more potent offensive wise if we can.

Now, if NOP wanna do AD for Love + Shump + 2018 BK, then hell yea but that's a pipe dream...

I think turning Ky + Shump + RJ + Frye + 2018 CLE 1st into Melo, IT4, Crowder, Zizic, BK 2018 1st, Rose, Green, Cedi isn't a bad tradeoff when you look at it in that sort of macro viewpoint.

Shump can guard PGs playing alongside LBJ without worrying about positions though. Name one other player on the Cavs roster who can do so.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#10 » by Stillwater » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:00 pm

Birdie wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

yeah those 2 have to be the top targets at the deadline, but it is obviously predicated on those teams situation at that point.
I would love to see us pry away Dejounte Murray from the Spurs , or if not available try to get back Liggins at minimum if we can't get anyone else.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
bgrep14
Veteran
And1: 211

Post#11 » by bgrep14 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:03 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Birdie wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Shump can guard PGs playing alongside LBJ without worrying about positions though. Name one other player on the Cavs roster who can do so.

Your delusional love for Shumpert confuses me, the guy will play 15 min a game next year and certainly is far from a lock down defender.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:27 pm

bgrep14 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Birdie wrote:

Your delusional love for Shumpert confuses me, the guy will play 15 min a game next year and certainly is far from a lock down defender.

It's not love for Shump. It's a deep concern I have about us being able to defend opposing back courts, especially the PG position. If we still had Liggins, this is an entirely different conversation. If we had any guard who was invited to training camp who was a plus defender, this is a different conversation. But I don't see the point in dumping the one guy who can guard opposing PGs w/o anyone else who can fill that role.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,920

Post#13 » by ChettheJet » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:54 pm

The Bulls are looking for pieces they can use in rebuilding, getting and waiving players is hardly a step towards the future. Shumpert could be an asset for a while and used at the deadline but it hardly seems worth it to get a second round pick and then pay players other than Wade to leave.

Return to Trades and Transactions