KOTB: Dal-PDX (0 Points)

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,102

KOTB: Dal-PDX (0 Points) 

Post#1 » by daoneandonly » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:33 pm

I figure I'd throw my hat in the ring and give this a try

If you think both teams would do this, vote "yes". If not vote "no" and elaborate please. Thanks!

Dallas Gets: Evan Turner, Caleb Swanigan. Future PDX 2nd Round Pick
Portland gets: Wes Matthews, Yogi Ferrell

Why Dallas? Evan Turner would be a much better fit with DSJ as he can alleviate the young rookie of some of the ball handling and facilitating duties. Rick Carlisle loves to have a lineup of multiple ball handlers, much to the detriment of the team's defense and rebounding because with Dallas' current roster, that means playing very undersized ball with multiple guys under 6'3'' sharing the court. Evan Turner mitigates that. Since Turner has an extra very expensive year on his deal compared to Wes, Dallas gets Caleb Swanigan as they are in dire need of rebounding help. This season is a tank anyway, so why not start him at PF and allow Barnes to go back to SF with Evan as the starting 2.

Why? They get out from underneath of Turner's last year and bring back a fan favorite. Matthews was at his best in PDX, yes it was before the injury, but much of that had to do with a more defined role to his skill set, a straight 3&D guy. Whereas in Dal he is tasked with doing things he is just not good at. Since they have Aminu, Vonleh, Davis, Collins, and of course Nurkic, they can afford to let go of Swanigan and replace him with a young PG who can backup Dame.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,617

Re: KOTB: Dal-PDX 

Post#2 » by Myth » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:45 pm

This is an easy no for me as a Portland fan.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,001

Post#3 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:15 pm

Yep, Caleb isn't getting dealt. I just don't see the realism in PDX giving up on him this early. Especially when he has shown excellent offensive polish in SL, Preseason and whenever our rookie-hating coach lets him on the court.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 833

Post#4 » by Darren » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:02 pm

Easily no for the Mavs. Do I need to explain it at all? It's Evan Turner without at least a first coming back. Seriously, no. I don't know who Caleb Swanigan. Both Yogi Ferrell has been Mavs starter. So is Matthews. That's a pretty lowball offer. Dallas rejects it easily.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#5 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:17 pm

I am not that high on Swanigan (don't like his conditioning for someone so young), but I still don't like it for Portland. They have their undersized back-up PG in Napier and not much wing depth or defense. Not sure I like it much for Dallas either, so KOTB: No.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Myth
General Manager

Post#6 » by Myth » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:42 pm

Darren wrote:Easily no for the Mavs. Do I need to explain it at all? It's Evan Turner without at least a first coming back. Seriously, no. I don't know who Caleb Swanigan. Both Yogi Ferrell has been Mavs starter. So is Matthews. That's a pretty lowball offer. Dallas rejects it easily.

Let me simplify it who Caleb is: Considering contracts, he is the most valuable piece in this trade.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#7 » by Mykhyn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:27 pm

Seems bad for Dallas. Turner is a far worse contract than Matthews
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,070

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:55 am

Myth wrote:
Darren wrote:Easily no for the Mavs. Do I need to explain it at all? It's Evan Turner without at least a first coming back. Seriously, no. I don't know who Caleb Swanigan. Both Yogi Ferrell has been Mavs starter. So is Matthews. That's a pretty lowball offer. Dallas rejects it easily.

Let me simplify it who Caleb is: Considering contracts, he is the most valuable piece in this trade.

I'd agree he is. Swanigan>Yogi>Future 2ndWes>Turner*

* if you want to argue future 2nd over Yogi its whatever to me.

But the question isn't which asset is the most valuable, right? It's whether or not Swanigan is worth more than the extra year of Turner and any other benefits you believe Portland might or might not get from the players in question.

I can't answer that for Portland and how much they value him, but for Dallas I don't think I want to take on the extra year of Turner for him. If Portland feels like we don't want to use him to dump Turner that's cool.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Myth
General Manager

Post#9 » by Myth » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:14 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
Myth wrote:

I'd agree he is. Swanigan>Yogi>Future 2ndWes>Turner*

* if you want to argue future 2nd over Yogi its whatever to me.

But the question isn't which asset is the most valuable, right? It's whether or not Swanigan is worth more than the extra year of Turner and any other benefits you believe Portland might or might not get from the players in question.

I can't answer that for Portland and how much they value him, but for Dallas I don't think I want to take on the extra year of Turner for him. If Portland feels like we don't want to use him to dump Turner that's cool.

Agreed. My point is that he has value, which seemed minimized given Darren not knowing who he is thus dismissing him. Swanigan is playing above the value of where he was drafted. Darren indicated that a 1st is required to take on Turner. Value wise, Swanigan was a late 1st pick playing like a mid-1st pick. For Portland, giving up a 1st nor Swanigan is worth it for Matthews who is also on a bad contract, so we definitely wouldn't add a 1st plus Swanigan. Especially when considering that Matthews makes more per year (barely) than Turner, which is the opposite of what Portland needs as they try to get below the tax threshold this year.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,667

Post#10 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:39 pm

daoneandonly wrote:I figure I'd throw my hat in the ring and give this a try

If you think both teams would do this, vote "yes". If not vote "no" and elaborate please. Thanks!

Dallas Gets: Evan Turner, Caleb Swanigan. Future PDX 2nd Round Pick
Portland gets: Wes Matthews, Yogi Ferrell

Why Dallas? Evan Turner would be a much better fit with DSJ as he can alleviate the young rookie of some of the ball handling and facilitating duties. Rick Carlisle loves to have a lineup of multiple ball handlers, much to the detriment of the team's defense and rebounding because with Dallas' current roster, that means playing very undersized ball with multiple guys under 6'3'' sharing the court. Evan Turner mitigates that. Since Turner has an extra very expensive year on his deal compared to Wes, Dallas gets Caleb Swanigan as they are in dire need of rebounding help. This season is a tank anyway, so why not start him at PF and allow Barnes to go back to SF with Evan as the starting 2.

Why? They get out from underneath of Turner's last year and bring back a fan favorite. Matthews was at his best in PDX, yes it was before the injury, but much of that had to do with a more defined role to his skill set, a straight 3&D guy. Whereas in Dal he is tasked with doing things he is just not good at. Since they have Aminu, Vonleh, Davis, Collins, and of course Nurkic, they can afford to let go of Swanigan and replace him with a young PG who can backup Dame.

Make sure to post a link in the sticky when posting subsequent KOTB trades. Thanks!
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,612

Re: KOTB: Dal-PDX (0 Points) 

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:43 pm

The guy from Deadwood is on a NBA roster?

I'll show myself out.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Trades and Transactions