KOTB: Boston-LAL: Captastically rolling the ankle injury over (Point Scored)

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,674

Post#1 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:06 pm

If you believe all teams would accept this trade, vote yes. If you believe otherwise, vote no. Please explain your vote."

Boston out: Boston 2020 2nd, DPE 8.4m
Boston in: Corey Brewer ($7,579,366 salary)

LAL out: Corey Brewer
LAL in: Boston 2020 2nd, $7,579,366 TPE

Why?

Lets be honest, Brewer is not worth his contract, least of all a 2nd rounder and a TPE. But to Boston he is. WIth the DPE Boston can take in one player total, up to 8,406,000 (+100k). And that player must be expiring. With Brewer however, Boston can use salary matching and take in more (up to the tax line with the +5m or up to 125% so 9.5m.

So, it adds 1m to what can be taken in easily, and eliminates the restriction on an expiring player only. This opens it up players like Dedmon and Lance Thomas. Edit: And Kyle Oquinn! Players like Dudley at 10m would be possible if Boston dumped Larkin elsewhere to free up just enough room before the cap. And in the meantime, Boston gets a scrappy defender that cannot score at all to add to their rotation in case they want. The 2nd is the first real Boston 2nd available and shouldn't be much of a cost. It is not the final step for Boston (hopefully) but it is the set up move that enables the team to pursue a wide range of options.

For LAL, they get a nice TPE and a 2nd, while losing a player that isn't any good. And more minutes for Kuzmania and Ingram.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,540

Re: KOTB: Boston-LAL: Captastically rolling the ankle injury over 

Post#2 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:24 pm

Celtics need a shooter which Corey Brewer is not. Brewer would find it tough to get minutes on Boston. Easy no.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#3 » by winter_mute_13 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:29 pm

KOTB: yes

Clever move that Boston should do to increase its options. For LA, Brewer isn't playing much anyway, but OTOH I don't think they have pressing motivation to move him. 2nd and TPE (and $ savings) is always nice, though. So, close enough, maybe?
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,146

Post#4 » by ejftw » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm torn on this from the Boston perspective. Brewer doesn't really fit what they should be looking for, but at the same time, the amount of one-year wings out there is relatively slim.

Lakers should do this, they have done pretty well drafting in the second round (yes, I know the pick is three years away), and Brewer most likely isn't in any future plans.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,590

Post#5 » by pcbothwel » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:56 pm

KOTB Yes.
I think Vince Carter would have been a better idea for Boston, but this works either way.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,957

Post#6 » by Mamba4Goat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:44 pm

Eh. Sure. Why not?

KOTB: Yes.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,478

Post#7 » by Slava » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:04 pm

KOTB Yes.

I don't mind this one bit, a 2nd is a 2nd and opens up minutes for Josh Hart or lets Lakers take a look at someone from the G-League.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,651

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:33 am

Celts17Pride wrote:Celtics need a shooter which Corey Brewer is not. Brewer would find it tough to get minutes on Boston. Easy no.

Next time at least take the time to read the actual OP before just hating it for the Celtics.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,540

Post#9 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:42 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Celtics need a shooter which Corey Brewer is not. Brewer would find it tough to get minutes on Boston. Easy no.

Next time at least take the time to read the actual OP before just hating it for the Celtics.

Uncalled for on your part. Celtics have no use for Brewer. Hope to use the DPE on someone who will help.

Celtics are not going to take on major salary for next year because of salary cap concerns
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,651

Post#10 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:44 am

Celts17Pride wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Uncalled for on your part. Celtics have no use for Brewer. Hope to use the DPE on someone who will help

Nope, not uncalled for at all. You can vote No. That's not my issue.

My issue is you continue to believe the Celtics do this for Brewer the player when they don't. They do it to make the DPE have more flexibility. Which is spelled out in detail in the OP.

So you didn't read it. You just said Brewer Celtics I hate it.

In the KOTB guys entering are putting work at it. At least have the respect to read it--or simply dont participate by voting. That's very reasonable of me to ask.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Baller1234a
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,714

Post#11 » by Baller1234a » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:01 am

Like the idea of basically getting an expiring so we can turn Brewer into 2 players.
Say Noel and Bellineli (we might need to add a little more salary)
Lakers get a second and a TPE
Yes for me

Edit Thats the fifth yes.
Bet with Stillwater Celtics will finish 6th or higher in ECF Standings Regular Season(17-18). [WON]
Mush Man
Junior
And1: 86

Post#12 » by Mush Man » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:29 am

I've been struggling to find a good 3pt wing for Boston to use the exception on and have been stuck (see my proposal of McDermott for the exception and the Boston 1st) - So, assuming you actually know what you're talking about with the cap wizardry then this is an easy yes as it opens up the injured player exception dollars. Good job.
bigfoot_cryptozoology
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,353

Re: KOTB: Boston-LAL: Captastically rolling the ankle injury over (Point Scored) 

Post#13 » by bigfoot_cryptozoology » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:56 am

Laughable, must be all Lake fans. Celtics need a scorer/shooter not a defender. ABSOLUTELY NOT. Why waste the DPE on Brewer when much better players will become available?
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Re: KOTB: Boston-LAL: Captastically rolling the ankle injury over (Point Scored) 

Post#14 » by LakersSoul » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:04 am

Good for the Lakers to add a 2nd rounder and frees up minutes for the rookies.
Celts get some experienced guy that can add value on the bench.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,876

Post#15 » by LakersLegacy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:36 am

Very clever trade.

The value of vets shows in the play-offs. Would be great fit after Hayward comes back in the ECF (hopefully).
warren weel im
Lead Assistant
And1: 307

Post#16 » by warren weel im » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:13 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:Eh. Sure. Why not?

username_taken
Veteran
And1: 2,413

Post#17 » by username_taken » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:15 pm

I like the idea of adding flexibility in terms of matching contracts at the deadline for Boston - if the Cs add him and then can’t find a suitabl deal to move him he still provides more depth as a wing than Nader does come playoff time
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 28,241

Post#18 » by Domejandro » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:28 pm

Wouldn’t it be more responsible to wait a month and plump for Vince Carter instead then? That way they could squeeze out 10.1 million dollars just off of Vince Carter’s contract.

To give an example of how this would be important, combining the salaries of Aron Baynes and Vince Carter would allow Boston to take in 15.475 million dollars in salary back, which (to merely illustrate) would just barely fit Jonas Valančiūnas 15.46 million dollar deal. That is the difference between having (and not having) a $16,539,326 trade chip next off-season that, by itself, can bring back $20,774,158.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,674

Post#19 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:50 pm

Domejandro wrote:Wouldn’t it be more responsible to wait a month and plump for Vince Carter instead then? That way they could squeeze out 10.1 million dollars just off of Vince Carter’s contract.

To give an example of how this would be important, combining the salaries of Aron Baynes and Vince Carter would allow Boston to take in 15.475 million dollars in salary back, which (to merely illustrate) would just barely fit Jonas Valančiūnas 15.46 million dollar deal. That is the difference between having (and not having) a $16,539,326 trade chip next off-season that, by itself, can bring back $20,774,158.

I didn't do VC for two reasons. One is Sac signed him for some (stupid) reason, so getting a 55+ 2nd in three years might not persusade them.

But more than that: VC is more salary, but oddly enough not more flexibility but less flexibility.

DPE is an exception, so the team wouldn't be able to aggregate for two months; meaning that to aggregate VC he would need to be acquired two months before the February 8th trade deadline.

And as a new signed player, VC cannot be traded until December 15th, meaning... he can never be aggregated at all. (Except if a team fully under the cap absorbs VC but why would they do that and obviously that is not Boston)

So, to combine Baynes with a player taken with the DPE, it needs to be a not newly signed player which is why Brewer makes more sense. As for Val, Brewer/Baynes/Larkin works fine and is actually doable versus VC not being doable.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 28,241

Post#20 » by Domejandro » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:55 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Wouldn’t it be more responsible to wait a month and plump for Vince Carter instead then? That way they could squeeze out 10.1 million dollars just off of Vince Carter’s contract.

I didn't do VC for two reasons. One is Sac signed him for some (stupid) reason, so getting a 55+ 2nd in three years might not persusade them.

But more than that: VC is more salary, but oddly enough not more flexibility but less flexibility.

DPE is an exception, so the team wouldn't be able to aggregate for two months; meaning that to aggregate VC he would need to be acquired two months before the February 8th trade deadline.

And as a new signed player, VC cannot be traded until December 15th, meaning... he can never be aggregated at all. (Except if a team fully under the cap absorbs VC but why would they do that and obviously that is not Boston)

So, to combine Baynes with a player taken with the DPE, it needs to be a not newly signed player which is why Brewer makes more sense. As for Val, Brewer/Baynes/Larkin works fine and is actually doable versus VC not being doable.

I didn’t realize there was a two month period, I had just assumed it was the one month. Thanks for the information.

Return to Trades and Transactions