Realistic Trades for Kemba Walker

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Re: Realistic Trades for Kemba Walker 

Post#61 » by BeesWax » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:31 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
jdm3 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
They aren't terrible contracts. They are half a year away from being expiring contracts. That's the price of doing business to get that Brooklyn pick. Good luck trying to get a better asset than that for Kemba.

Who knows if the Brooklyn pick is a great asset or not. All I know is it could be a early teens pick and a worthless player on a bad contract for Kemba. The Hornets goal is not to help Cleveland win it this year. Their goal is to become a better team down the road and there is nothing in this deal that will for sure put them on that path.

again, thats the cost of doing business. There is no guarantee with any pick. The point guard market is thin and Kemba is a very good but not great player. Outside of CLE which win now team is going to give up a ton of value for 1.5 years of Kemba, who is 27.

I don't know who will but that is fine. If it comes to it I would rather keep Kemba than make this move. Eating cap with a wasted spot and losing Kemba doesn't make sense to where the team wants to go. If the pick lands in the top 5 I would feel we missed out but if it lands anywhere for 8 down then I wouldn't consider passing very bad at all. At least we wouldn't be stuck with another bad contract. If you are starting a rebuild you need something to rebuild around on this doesn't assure that so it could be giving your only asset away for nothing.
Spoiler:
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,012

Post#62 » by R-DAWG » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:35 pm

jdm3 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
jdm3 wrote:Who knows if the Brooklyn pick is a great asset or not. All I know is it could be a early teens pick and a worthless player on a bad contract for Kemba. The Hornets goal is not to help Cleveland win it this year. Their goal is to become a better team down the road and there is nothing in this deal that will for sure put them on that path.

again, thats the cost of doing business. There is no guarantee with any pick. The point guard market is thin and Kemba is a very good but not great player. Outside of CLE which win now team is going to give up a ton of value for 1.5 years of Kemba, who is 27.

I don't know who will but that is fine. If it comes to it I would rather keep Kemba than make this move. Eating cap with a wasted spot and losing Kemba doesn't make sense to where the team wants to go. If the pick lands in the top 5 I would feel we missed out but if it lands anywhere for 8 down then I wouldn't consider passing very bad at all. At least we wouldn't be stuck with another bad contract. If you are starting a rebuild you need something to rebuild around on this doesn't assure that so it could be giving your only asset away for nothing.

I don't consider a top 10 pick nothing. I only don't think 1 year of salary when you won't have cap space anyway is a bad contract. I also assume the player would be bought out to open up the roster spot. I also don't think Kemba is worth a top 5 pick.
BeesWax
General Manager

Post#63 » by BeesWax » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:38 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
jdm3 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:

I don't consider a top 10 pick nothing. I only don't think 1 year of salary when you won't have cap space anyway is a bad contract. I also assume the player would be bought out to open up the roster spot. I also don't think Kemba is worth a top 5 pick.

That is fine. Like I said these two teams likely are not a good fit for a trade. The Hornets want building pieces and the Cavs only have one that may or may not be worth anything.
Spoiler:
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#64 » by R-DAWG » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:46 pm

jdm3 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
jdm3 wrote:I don't know who will but that is fine. If it comes to it I would rather keep Kemba than make this move. Eating cap with a wasted spot and losing Kemba doesn't make sense to where the team wants to go. If the pick lands in the top 5 I would feel we missed out but if it lands anywhere for 8 down then I wouldn't consider passing very bad at all. At least we wouldn't be stuck with another bad contract. If you are starting a rebuild you need something to rebuild around on this doesn't assure that so it could be giving your only asset away for nothing.

That is fine. Like I said these two teams likely are not a good fit for a trade. The Hornets want building pieces and the Cavs only have one that may or may not be worth anything.

That is the same with every first round pick acquired in the middle of the season. I'm not sure what you expect to get for Kemba. Please advise.
BeesWax
General Manager

Post#65 » by BeesWax » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:18 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
jdm3 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:

That is the same with every first round pick acquired in the middle of the season. I'm not sure what you expect to get for Kemba. Please advise.

The Cavs got 4 assets from Kyrie for 2 years and now are giving up 1 and making Charlotte take back a bad contract for 1.5 of Kemba at a much better value price. There is not value there for the Hornets. Kemba at that price could be valuable to a team looking to attract another star player because he doesn't eat a lot of cap this summer. There is no youth coming to Charlotte of them to say hey at least we know we have this and maybe we have more in a pick. Instead everything is gambled on that pick which is just not appealing.
Spoiler:
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#66 » by R-DAWG » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:36 pm

jdm3 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
jdm3 wrote:That is fine. Like I said these two teams likely are not a good fit for a trade. The Hornets want building pieces and the Cavs only have one that may or may not be worth anything.

The Cavs got 4 assets from Kyrie for 2 years and now are giving up 1 and making Charlotte take back a bad contract for 1.5 of Kemba at a much better value price. There is not value there for the Hornets. Kemba at that price could be valuable to a team looking to attract another star player because he doesn't eat a lot of cap this summer. There is no youth coming to Charlotte of them to say hey at least we know we have this and maybe we have more in a pick. Instead everything is gambled on that pick which is just not appealing.

Please advise of team and offer? I'm just not sure there is much of a Kemba market.
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#67 » by R-DAWG » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:36 pm

jdm3 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
jdm3 wrote:That is fine. Like I said these two teams likely are not a good fit for a trade. The Hornets want building pieces and the Cavs only have one that may or may not be worth anything.

Please advise of team and offer? I'm just not sure there is much of a Kemba market.

Also, Eric Bledsoe is probably a better trade comparison for Walker than Kyrie.
BeesWax
General Manager

Post#68 » by BeesWax » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:42 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
jdm3 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:That is the same with every first round pick acquired in the middle of the season. I'm not sure what you expect to get for Kemba. Please advise.

Also, Eric Bledsoe is probably a better trade comparison for Walker than Kyrie.

There are no offers so far. I have no idea what other teams would offer. I am saying I would not trade Kemba for that offer. I would rather hold on to him and take my chances he resigns instead. A bunch of people have floated different things on here that would get me more interested than this. The Laker trade that a write floated out or the Knicks one would hold more interest to me.
Spoiler:
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#69 » by stinger14 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:48 pm

To Cavs
Kemba, Marvin Williams, and this year's 2nd round Cleveland pick back

To Hornets
IT, Crowder, Shumpert, BKN pick, and Osman

Cavs obviously add Kemba, but also add a PF shooting 43% from behind the arc this year, and plays solid defense. Williams is a big upgrade over what Crowder is currently doing.

Hornets add bkn pick, Osman who hopefully becomes a solid player, and hope Crowder can bounce back at some point. IT could be flipped for another asset
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#70 » by R-DAWG » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:21 pm

stinger14 wrote:To Cavs

To Hornets

Cavs obviously add Kemba, but also add a PF shooting 43% from behind the arc this year, and plays solid defense. Williams is a big upgrade over what Crowder is currently doing.

Hornets add bkn pick, Osman who hopefully becomes a solid player, and hope Crowder can bounce back at some point. IT could be flipped for another asset

So Charlotte gets more for Kemba than Cleveland got for Kyrie, and they dump Marvin's contract in the process. LOL
stinger14
Starter

Post#71 » by stinger14 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:33 pm

R-DAWG wrote:

To Hornets

So Charlotte gets more for Kemba than Cleveland got for Kyrie, and they dump Marvin's contract in the process. LOL

Nope....IT and Crowder both had more value at the time of that trade than they do now as Crowder has played awful, and IT doesn't look good at all right now. Also, BKN is not out of the playoff race in the east, and that pick does not carry the same value as it did then. Could it be top 5, yes it could, but it could also be out of the top 10, or the lottery all together. It is not as much of a "lock" as it was preseason. Marvin is a player who can help the Cavs defesively and as a shooter, especially in their system.
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#72 » by R-DAWG » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:37 pm

stinger14 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:

To Hornets

Nope....IT and Crowder both had more value at the time of that trade than they do now as Crowder has played awful, and IT doesn't look good at all right now. Also, BKN is not out of the playoff race in the east, and that pick does not carry the same value as it did then. Could it be top 5, yes it could, but it could also be out of the top 10, or the lottery all together. It is not as much of a "lock" as it was preseason. Marvin is a player who can help the Cavs defesively and as a shooter, especially in their system.

I would suggest looking at the package that PHX got for Bledsoe, because that's much closer to Kemba's value than the Brooklyn pick.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#73 » by babyjax13 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:40 pm

If Utah wanted to push for the playoffs next year the Utah pick + Johnson is about what I think we'd offer. I wouldn't want to do that but we'd be interesting.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
KP6
Rookie
And1: 619

Post#74 » by KP6 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:46 pm

People are having a tough time judging Kemba Walker true value. Some people see him, as a Kyrie Irving level player. Others see him more like Bledsoe level talent. In truth he is some where between the two and closer to Bledsoe. Because if he was as good as Kyrie? He would not even be on the trade block in the first place.
stinger14
Starter

Post#75 » by stinger14 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:47 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
stinger14 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:

I would suggest looking at the package that PHX got for Bledsoe, because that's much closer to Kemba's value than the Brooklyn pick.

Unlike Bledsoe, or even Kyrie for that matter, Kemba has not asked for a trade. Bledsoe made it known he wanted out of Phoenix much like Kyrie wanted out of Cleveland. When players do that, it hurts their value to a point. Kemba is happy and building a house in Charlotte, he has not diminished his value at all.
BeesWax
General Manager

Post#76 » by BeesWax » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:52 pm

KP6 wrote:People are having a tough time judging Kemba Walker true value. Some people see him, as a Kyrie Irving level player. Others see him more like Bledsoe level talent. In truth he is some where between the two and closer to Bledsoe. Because if he was as good as Kyrie? He would not even be on the trade block in the first place.

But he also hasn't devalued himself by asking for a trade. He isn't close to Bledsoe because they team has not had to separate him from everyone.
Spoiler:
stinger14
Starter

Post#77 » by stinger14 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:54 pm

KP6 wrote:People are having a tough time judging Kemba Walker true value. Some people see him, as a Kyrie Irving level player. Others see him more like Bledsoe level talent. In truth he is some where between the two and closer to Bledsoe. Because if he was as good as Kyrie? He would not even be on the trade block in the first place.

I feel Kemba is between the two. Kyrie is better (more dynamic) than Kemba, but they actually post very similar stats offensively, with Kemba being the better defender.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,156

Post#78 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:10 am

To Hornets

Given the fact that Cedi is at least presently the better prospect than Zizic, that's a better package than the Cavs got for two years of Kyrie. If the Hornets don't want to be realistic here, then I suspect there are less expensive options like Hill.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,662

Post#79 » by BroncoBuck » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:43 am

Eric Bledsoe, DJ Wilson and Thon Maker.
BeesWax
General Manager

Post#80 » by BeesWax » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:01 am

jbk1234 wrote:

To Hornets

Given the fact that Cedi is at least presently the better prospect than Zizic, that's a better package than the Cavs got for two years of Kyrie. If the Hornets don't want to be realistic here, then I suspect there are less expensive options like Hill.

I don't see how it is better. I can see it being the same. You actually make the Cavs a much better team here. Kemba and Williams are good pieces against the Celtics and Warriors because of the matchup ability. We eat a waste in Shump and get Crowder and a pick and Osman for doing it. To me IT is pointless since he doesn't offer anything to Charlotte's rebuild.

Also Kemba is not disgruntled so we don't need to move him and can keep him if we don't get decent value back.
Spoiler:

Return to Trades and Transactions