Suns-Pacers

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who says no?

Suns
30%
Pacers
37%
Neither
13%
Both
20%

Total votes: 30

Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Suns-Pacers 

Post#1 » by Mykhyn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:40 pm

Chriss + top 1 protected 2018 Suns 1st for Myles Turner

Pacers commit to Sabonis while getting a very high pick(5th if today).

Suns get a young big 3 in Booker/Jackson/turner. They would still have the cap to make a big offer to Jabari/Exum/Smart/Lavine and dare their teams to match

Who says no?
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Re: Suns-Pacers 

Post#2 » by pacers33granger » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:43 pm

Both teams probably say no here, which means value is likely close.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#3 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:49 pm

I think the Suns pass. They'll want to see how Chris progresses in season 3.
csuriano
Junior
And1: 65

Post#4 » by csuriano » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:30 pm

pacers33granger wrote:Both teams probably say no here, which means value is likely close.

It funny...the more I create trade scenarios, the more I learn that there are two rules. 1) If both sides say no, the value is close but 2) both teams have to noticeably benefit from the trade because the default position to a roster change is "no". Its a lot tougher than it looks. I like this trade for both teams and a Booker-Warren-Bender-Turner lineup, but I think the detriment of a roster shakeup makes it less likely.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,687

Post#5 » by Qwigglez » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:05 pm

Suns say yes immediately
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#6 » by gaspar » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:08 pm

Suns pass easily. Chriss can be as good or better than Turner. As a rookie last season post all-star break he averaged 13 pts, 6 reb, 1.5 blk, 1.2 3PM, 58% TS in 27 mpg. After a very slow start this season in his last 9 games before the injury Quese averaged 12 pts, 7 reb, 1 blk, 1.6 3PM, 59% TS in 27 mpg, which is not that far behind what Turner is doing in his 3rd season: 14 pts, 7 reb, 2 blk, 0.8 3PM, 57% TS in 29 mpg. And we have to throw in a pick that could easily turn into Doncic/Ayton/Young/Bagley etc.? I don't think so.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#7 » by loserX » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:10 pm

What happens if the Suns' pick wins the lottery?
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#8 » by Mykhyn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:12 pm

gaspar wrote:Chriss can be as good or better than Turner.

Would bet my house on this not happening
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#9 » by pacers33granger » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:18 pm

Cklbmk wrote:
gaspar wrote:Chriss can be as good or better than Turner.

Would bet my house on this not happening

Edit: I can't read.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#10 » by Wilber85 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:38 pm

so you are saying if Suns finish

2,3,4,5 in the draft lottery.

They will be trading

Chriss and one of Doncic, Ayton, Bagley, Porter, Trae Young for Myles Turner.

Myles Turner had running issues (Not sure if those are still there or possible to come back down the road) avg 13 / 6 with a per 17.55
-He will be up for a contract extension next year if not he can take the qualifying offer. (Correct me if I am wrong)
-He will be seeking a max? Which I do not think he deserves and would take up Phoenix cap space with an above average Center (not all star)

I think the suns would roll the dice on the draft pick! I would do the trade if I am the Suns as Top 8 protected.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,069

Post#11 » by Wizop » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:51 pm

haven't seen enough of Chriss to evaluate him properly (he isn't even in the box score from our game Sunday - is he hurt?) but I wouldn't think a PF would be our target in a Turner trade particularly if we're getting a high pick which would probably net a PF. now Trae Young??? that I'd have to think about. give us a call when you're on the clock,

are you letting the Pacers keep their #1 or did you mean this to be a swap? if the later, we'd probably want swap rights in a future year too and maybe a 2nd this year.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#12 » by pacers33granger » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:58 pm

Wilber85 wrote:Myles Turner had running issues (Not sure if those are still there or possible to come back down the road) avg 13 / 6 with a per 17.55

He has no issues running anymore. His injury issues have been minor ones that have no longterm issues (broken hand last year, elbow issues this year, etc.).

Wilber85 wrote:-He will be up for a contract extension next year if not he can take the qualifying offer. (Correct me if I am wrong)

He's on the books for the 4th year of his rookie scale next season, but will be up for a new deal the next.

Wilber85 wrote:-He will be seeking a max? Which I do not think he deserves and would take up Phoenix cap space with an above average Center (not all star)

Not sure on the max. He very well may be simply because any free agent wants the max, but there's been no information one way or the other on it. He's a super humble guy so he probably realizes he's not really worth one right now (though his agent likely believes otherwise).
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#13 » by Stillwater » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:10 pm

Suns would not do this without top 5 protection minimum, but Chriss isn't enough with any protection for INDY to do it. Unless Suns would offer top 5 protected and the 2018 first from the Bucks , then maybe Indy bites.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#14 » by hcsilla » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:20 pm

Turner is already a good player and still has a bright future but I honestly think that top5 of 2018 draft have higher potential than he does.

Having said that I don't really see the Pacers' motivation either, as a young upcoming play-off team that trades one of their best assets for future ones.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,069

Post#15 » by Wizop » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:25 pm

Stillwater wrote:Suns would not do this without top 5 protection minimum, but Chriss isn't enough with any protection for INDY to do it. Unless Suns would offer top 5 protected and the 2018 first from the Bucks , then maybe Indy bites.

so we'd have the Suns pick, the Bucks pick, and our own pick all in the same year? hard to imagine finding meaningful playing time for three rookies.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#16 » by winter_mute_13 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:40 pm

csuriano wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:Both teams probably say no here, which means value is likely close.

It funny...the more I create trade scenarios, the more I learn that there are two rules. 1) If both sides say no, the value is close but 2) both teams have to noticeably benefit from the trade because the default position to a roster change is "no". Its a lot tougher than it looks. I like this trade for both teams and a Booker-Warren-Bender-Turner lineup, but I think the detriment of a roster shakeup makes it less likely.

Exactly. Trade value has to be close but a trade also has to solve problems for both teams, which is kind of the point.

In this case, Suns look set for a multi-year rebuild - they have the luxury of slowly developing Chriss and whoever the draft pick is. The Pacers OTOH are currently a playoff team who'd surely prefer Turner's immediate contributions. Direction seems wrong for both.

FWIW I don't see any urgency on the Pacers' side to choose between Turner and Sabonis. They'll make every attempt to play them together.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#17 » by Stillwater » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:43 pm

Wizop wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Suns would not do this without top 5 protection minimum, but Chriss isn't enough with any protection for INDY to do it. Unless Suns would offer top 5 protected and the 2018 first from the Bucks , then maybe Indy bites.

so we'd have the Suns pick, the Bucks pick, and our own pick all in the same year? hard to imagine finding meaningful playing time for three rookies.

True. So combine your own pick and the Bucks pick for a player of need or to trade up or out.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#18 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:00 pm

Cklbmk wrote:Chriss + top 1 protected 2018 Suns 1st for Myles Turner

Suns get a young big 3 in Booker/Jackson/turner. They would still have the cap to make a big offer to Jabari/Exum/Smart/Lavine and dare their teams to match

Who says no?

There is no reason that Turner and Sabonis are not starting in Indiana next year. Replacing Turner's skills would be tough to do. He's a good shooter and shot blocker and runs the floor pretty well. If Turner gets stronger he's gonna be a beast, with him and Sabonis at the 4/5 it doesn't matter which plays 4 and which plays 5 that's a strong front court.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#19 » by Boneman2 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:26 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:Chriss + top 1 protected 2018 Suns 1st for Myles Turner

Who says no?

There is no reason that Turner and Sabonis are not starting in Indiana next year. Replacing Turner's skills would be tough to do. He's a good shooter and shot blocker and runs the floor pretty well. If Turner gets stronger he's gonna be a beast, with him and Sabonis at the 4/5 it doesn't matter which plays 4 and which plays 5 that's a strong front court.

He has the frame to add muscle which I fully expect him to do over the next two seasons.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#20 » by Pacersike » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:43 pm

Victor and Domas deserve more respect if Turner gets traded, not a possible teenager that will not be ready to contend in the next couple of seasons. Pacers will only trade Turner if they can get a proven player in return IMO

Don't let his age fool you, Sabonis is a lot smarter and stronger than most players his age. He is almost ready to contend and Oladipo already is. We are not going to make it more difficult for them if we trade someone like Turner, no matter how low of a ceiling we have with them. The human mind is only happy when progress is being made.

We are moving forwards now, not backwards. High draft picks are not on the Pacers menu, we want to keep our star player happy this time. It would be an utter disaster if the Pacers draft the next Lonzo Bust. Wasting years of prime Pacer Oladipo.

Return to Trades and Transactions