You are Dan Gilbert

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,002

You are Dan Gilbert 

Post#1 » by R-DAWG » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:17 pm

You are Dan Gilbert, rebuilding Detroit, owning the Cavs.

Do you double down on the last year of Lebron to try to win another championship. Double down could mean anything and everything from trading the Brooklyn pick, trading Kevin Love, taking on long term salary and a bigger luxury tax this year. The argument being two fold - 1 you have the best player of the generation on the back end of his prime. Even if he stays, this might be the last chance to get into the finals and win a championship that the organization could have in generations. Additionally, if Lebron leaves your going to be bad for a few years anyway and end up with multiple lotto picks to rebuild. With the Brooklyn pick not looking like a sure fire top 5 pick anymore, there is less risk involved. And 2- the better the roster around Lebron, the higher the likelihood is of him staying. I don't think adding a 21 year old high ceiling rookie is going to be exciting enough that it will influence Lebron to stay in Cleveland long term. A better roster could.

Or, if your getting the feeling that Lebron is going to leave and that the roster is no longer strong enough to compete with Golden State, do you trade Lebron. Look at the position the Boston Celtics have put themselves in by trading franchise players a year early not a year late. Cleveland could acquire a few future picks, similar to what they did last time Lebron left, and one of those picks was used to clear cap space for Lebron coming back. Additionally, Lebron would save face not leaving the organization high and dry this time around, and potentially get to a situation where he has a better chance against Golden State this spring. Houston is the logical choice and they create a unique situation if they offer 2 future 1's (2020 and 2022), what is Houston's roster going to look like in 2022? That pick could prove highly valuable, but if your Houston you roll the dice on adding Lebron to that roster. Maybe Miami could also be in play since they have some attractive young pieces in Winslow and Bam to combine with draft picks, but not sure if Lebron-Dragic-Whiteside is good enough to compete with Golden State.

Hard to justify standing pat with CLE's situation.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Re: Your Dan Gilbert 

Post#2 » by loserX » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:19 pm

I'm definitely more in the first camp anyway...flags fly forever.

But either way you don't trade LeBron unless he demands that you do. You just don't do it.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,078

Post#3 » by jazzfan1971 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:21 pm

He isn't mine!
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#4 » by R-DAWG » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:24 pm

loserX wrote:I'm definitely more in the first camp anyway...flags fly forever.

But either way you don't trade LeBron unless he demands that you do. You just don't do it.

I agree with this, but I hate the approach of we have Lebron but were thinking about developing our next star. I would be all-in trying to win around Lebron because CLE might not come so close to a championship in decades. Especially since there are so many variables with the Brooklyn pick - where will Brooklyn finish in the standings, how will the lotto play out, will the player they draft turn into an NBA star, how long will it take said player to develop.

Cleveland should be All-In. And by that I'm not saying take the best available deal for the BK pick, but I would actively shop the pick trying to get someone who can be an upgrade for this season and the next 2-3 years.
NetsDynasty2012
Senior
And1: 1,167

Post#5 » by NetsDynasty2012 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:25 pm

You're*

But I'd do everything in my power to get a ring this year and get Lebron to stay. Cavs probably won't ever be relevant again once Lebron's gone.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#6 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:27 pm

Have to see how the team plays over next 3 weeks and what Brooklyn's record is come Feb 8th. Ultimately, no one is available that moves the needle enough to beat Golden State.
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,160

Post#7 » by Pelon chingon » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:28 pm

That BK pick is getting traded book it. You don't pass on an opportunity to win a chip that's the whole point.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,709

Post#8 » by spree8 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:59 pm

Lebron has a no trade clause.
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
Bakuto
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,301

Post#9 » by Bakuto » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:14 pm

My Dan Gilbert?
Kobe System wrote:I won't touch Drummond's contract. I'd rather have Deng and Mozgov's contract tbh.

Collymore wrote:Jay Tatum is a better prospect than Lebron James was at his age.

:noway:
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,263

Post#10 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:53 pm

Bakuto wrote:My Dan Gilbert?

No, mine.

But snark aside, I'd trade that pick to be competitive. You have a generational talent now. Use the pick, dump the bad salary, get a useful rotation of players that balance out the roster.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#11 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:59 pm

#NotMyGilbert
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#12 » by Stillwater » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:59 pm

Lebron would be more upset if the pick was traded for a player that does not significantly close the gap than if they kept it.
There are other ways to move contracts for better fits etc.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#13 » by ChettheJet » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:14 pm

Unless Lebron comes into the office and says he's staying so start restructuring the roster with that in mind I figure he's leaving.
In that case you start trading everybody and keep the BRK pick until (you're ) on the clock draft night. If a great offer comes take it otherwise draft who you draft.

If Lebron were to say he was staying start dealing for next season. And stop listening to who Lebron thinks should be on the roster. From watching the Bulls win 6 championships CLE doesn't understand that they have to surround James with complimentary players that know how to follow. That doesn't mean passing on all star talent but you need mostly role players. Thomas would be a good PG to keep along with Calderon, Korver is a keeper, Green and Crowder too. Wade can probably play longer in a supporting role with the occasional big game. But guys like Smith, Love and Thompson think they should be the second option but they just don't have what it takes to win. Shumpert wants to show that he deserves a max contract.

Get more guys who aren't concerned with stats and getting a big contract down the road, look for guys who are willing to just rebound play defense and run the offense rather than look to score so they make the highlights that night.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,386

Post#14 » by shrink » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:24 pm

I am strongly in the camp that you do anything, including trading the pick, to increase the chance LeBron James stays.

1. LeBron James is the best player in the NBA, and there is only one of him. Through a fluke in the place where he happened to be born, and the NBA lottery, he is now playing in Cleveland Ohio. He is irreplaceable.

2. LeBron James gives the Cavs 50-60 wins a season, the likely favorite to win the Eastern Conference, and a shot at a title. Maybe the Cavs have become blasè about what a big deal that is. You can start a rebuild like most of the other teams in the NBA, but they are extremely unlikely to have this type of team success. Definitely ride that train as long as you can.

3. If you trade the pick, you get value for it, regardless of whether LeBron stays or leaves. if LeBron walks for nothing, you get nothing.

4. In addition to the value you get for the pick, you increase the chances LeBron stays next year. That's incredibly valuable, for the reasons listed above. Using the pick shows LeBron that the Cavs are invested in him.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,072

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:24 pm

Read on Twitter

FWIW I totally agree with this. If what people are offering is inconsequential in terms of winning a series against GS, keep the pick and hope that either the prospect it brings back, or the trade offer it solicits after the season, are good enough that you can pitch that to LBJ. Once you trade that pick, it's gone.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
vct33
Veteran
And1: 839

Post#16 » by vct33 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:10 pm

Who's out there that's has the potential to both be available AND help narrow the gap with GSW?
I brings the ruckus to the ladies!
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,580

Post#17 » by NYG » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:24 pm

vct33 wrote:Who's out there that's has the potential to both be available AND help narrow the gap with GSW?

The Kyrie timing really hurt them. I bet at the time the Pacers would have accepted being the third team in a Paul George + Isaiah Thomas to Cleveland / Kyrie Irving to Boston / Jae Crowder + 2018 Nets 1st to Indiana type of trade. Obviously the hindsight judgement of George's actual return mixed with a lot of those players I mentioned have differently perceived value now would change that.

There isn't really any one out there that bridges the gap.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,072

Post#18 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:25 pm

vct33 wrote:Who's out there that's has the potential to both be available AND help narrow the gap with GSW?

No one. Kemba was the last hope but apparently the Hornets want to see if he'll sign an extension this summer before moving him.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#19 » by R-DAWG » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:32 pm

ChettheJet wrote:Unless Lebron comes into the office and says he's staying so start restructuring the roster with that in mind I figure he's leaving.
In that case you start trading everybody and keep the BRK pick until (you're ) on the clock draft night. If a great offer comes take it otherwise draft who you draft.

If Lebron were to say he was staying start dealing for next season. And stop listening to who Lebron thinks should be on the roster. From watching the Bulls win 6 championships CLE doesn't understand that they have to surround James with complimentary players that know how to follow. That doesn't mean passing on all star talent but you need mostly role players. Thomas would be a good PG to keep along with Calderon, Korver is a keeper, Green and Crowder too. Wade can probably play longer in a supporting role with the occasional big game. But guys like Smith, Love and Thompson think they should be the second option but they just don't have what it takes to win. Shumpert wants to show that he deserves a max contract.

Get more guys who aren't concerned with stats and getting a big contract down the road, look for guys who are willing to just rebound play defense and run the offense rather than look to score so they make the highlights that night.

I agree with this paragraph with the exception of Kevin Love. I still think he fits the bucket of star talent and can the lineups with him at the 5 for limited minutes, ala Draymond at the 5, are interesting. Although there are physical limitations defensively, he's smart and plays hard. I understand that having both Thomas and Love as the 2/3 options might be too much of a liability defensively, but I would keep Love over Thomas - with the obvious problem of Thomas having limited trade value given contract and where he is at in the recovery process. The support guys at SG and defensive big need to be upgraded.

Appreciate the correction on the typo guys. My Dan Gilbert is James Dolan - who is basically what Dan Gilbert would be in Carmelo was born in Akron and Lebron was from New York/Baltimore/Brooklyn. #WeAreJRSMITH
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,933

Post#20 » by Mamba4Goat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:50 pm

I love everyone's comments about the grammatical error. I appreciate you guys. :lol:

Anywho, I think the Cavs have to stand pat unless they get a guarantee from LeBron that he is staying.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.

Return to Trades and Transactions