Harrison Barnes to Denver revised

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Harrison Barnes to Denver revised 

Post#41 » by The Rebel » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:19 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Alatan wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Milsap isnt 30 nor is he making 18m so what are u talking about

I am saying that if i had to chose who would i keep between Millsap and Barnes id keep Millsap. So trading for Barnes with the idea to resign him by letting Millsap go is not a good one.

So u prefer the guy 8 yrs older making more money with worse production? Makes sense

a 4 time all star that is still putting up solid numbers while playing with a broken wrist that is not fully healed payed less than the max is not a bad deal.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Post#42 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:31 am

The Rebel wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Alatan wrote:
I am saying that if i had to chose who would i keep between Millsap and Barnes id keep Millsap. So trading for Barnes with the idea to resign him by letting Millsap go is not a good one.

So u prefer the guy 8 yrs older making more money with worse production? Makes sense

a 4 time all star that is still putting up solid numbers while playing with a broken wrist that is not fully healed payed less than the max is not a bad deal.

Milsap's production this year has obviously been hampered by his injury status, making him obviously bad value this year in hindsight.

But even if Milsap recovers fully, is he really worth 30m next year?

And even then if he is, would he be expected to stay worth that?

My strong guess is that the team option would be declined for the season when he is turning 35 and would be paid 30m, because I don't see anyone justifying that return for that price. And no, I don't have him positive value next year either.

But more than value in the abstract, I don't have a 35 y/o Milsap getting paid 30m as a fit on Denver in 2 years.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Re: Harrison Barnes to Denver 

Post#43 » by JamesConway » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:22 am

shrink wrote:I would have liked to see a deal like this happen before the trade deadline, to help ensure the Nuggets a playoff spot. they would also have gotten more value out of Barnes while Millsap was out. Now, I think it's still intrigueing, but has a lot less shine.

As for value, I think it's Lyles or a pick, not both.

Agree'd about the value. Barnes for Faried's deal + Chandler and the DEN 1st is what I'd consider fair value for DAL, too.

Don't think our FO would do this though. Barnes is probably the best external FA we've ever signed. I can't really see us moving on from him. It's not like he hasn't taken the next step while playing for the Mavs. His first year was great, much better than anybody could have hoped. It's just unfortunate that he wasn't able to make a similar leap from year 1 to year 2.

I think that's the most frustrating part for most DAL-fans. All in all he's probably worth his money. Just nothing to get excited about our close to being a "value contract".

He's basically what Michael Finley was to the last rebuild we had. Great locker room guy, steady production on the court, but you need your next generation-version of Dirk and Nash to get people excited for the future.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#44 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:44 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Alatan wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Milsap isnt 30 nor is he making 18m so what are u talking about

That all depends on what you are considering. What is most important? Next year? Probably not. The team isn't ready to compete for a championship yet - although the true optimistic fans might believe so; after all, if everything clicks ... :wink:

The next question is: Is Barnes a PF? Probably a terrible choice next to Jokic. Plus the Nuggets have some young potentials there already. Is Barnes an SF that will fit in Denver? It would seem so. Consider him somewhat similar to Chandler in that respect, yet a much better player than Chandler IMO.

I've already stated that I like Barnes but the question is: does his salary fit into the long-term Nuggets plans? I think it could work. Will the Nuggets agree? That's not very clear. What is clear is that the Nuggets only have to pay Millsap one more year and that was clearly in their plans when they signed him. (They did leave themselves the option of one additional year and they could exercise that right.)
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#45 » by Darren » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:02 pm

How many Harris does Denver want? Do they want an all-Harris lineup? If this trade goes down, they've Harrison Barnes, Gary Harris and Devin Harris.
MidMountain
Senior
And1: 236

Post#46 » by MidMountain » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:39 pm

Darren wrote:How many Harris does Denver want? Do they want an all-Harris lineup? If this trade goes down, they've Harrison Barnes, Gary Harris and Devin Harris.

They'll all get together and watch Indiana Jones or Blade Runner.
chaliban
Junior
And1: 34

Post#47 » by chaliban » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:03 am

Darren wrote:How many Harris does Denver want? Do they want an all-Harris lineup? If this trade goes down, they've Harrison Barnes, Gary Harris and Devin Harris.

S+T Will Barton and Hernangomez to the Clips for Tobias?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#48 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:54 am

chaliban wrote:

S+T Will Barton and Hernangomez to the Clips for Tobias?

With the added bonus of getting another PF - our front office seems to collect those.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,687

Re: Harrison Barnes to Denver 

Post#49 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:13 pm

JamesConway wrote:
He's basically what Michael Finley was to the last rebuild we had. Great locker room guy, steady production on the court, but you need your next generation-version of Dirk and Nash to get people excited for the future.

Perfect. Both good, but not great players--Finley better than Barnes obviously--and very high character guys a franchise feels good about serving as the face of a franchise in transition. Junior probably benefits in much the way Dirk did from Finley---he can grow in the leadership/franchise role if he proves worth it.

Simply put he probably has more value to the Mavs organization than he could bring in trade unless Dallas is willing to eat some ugly money and that doesn't seem like something they are going to do. So its hard to find a trade that makes sense.

Oh and he's obviously opting out. He's young, been healthy, has no red flags, can play SF. Those guys get paid and he will want to lock up long-term money knowing he can get another big contract by the time he's 30. He's set up to make a lot of money in his career.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Darren
RealGM

Post#50 » by Darren » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:15 am

I think we could be Evan Turner, Zach Collins for Harrison Barnes at least. While I think Wilson Chandler, Kenneth Faried and a first is closed value-wise, I don't think we can find any trade partner. I am really surprised that the Mavs keep Barea by deadline. That's how inactive the trade market is. As long as GSW dominance continue, I don't see any change at all. Surely, Portland's first is not as valuable as Zach Collins.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#51 » by Pinkyring » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:15 pm

Darren wrote:I think we could be Evan Turner, Zach Collins for Harrison Barnes at least. While I think Wilson Chandler, Kenneth Faried and a first is closed value-wise, I don't think we can find any trade partner. I am really surprised that the Mavs keep Barea by deadline. That's how inactive the trade market is. As long as GSW dominance continue, I don't see any change at all. Surely, Portland's first is not as valuable as Zach Collins.

This is a terrible deal for dallas goodness Darren
Darren
RealGM

Post#52 » by Darren » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:22 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Darren wrote:I think we could be Evan Turner, Zach Collins for Harrison Barnes at least. While I think Wilson Chandler, Kenneth Faried and a first is closed value-wise, I don't think we can find any trade partner. I am really surprised that the Mavs keep Barea by deadline. That's how inactive the trade market is. As long as GSW dominance continue, I don't see any change at all. Surely, Portland's first is not as valuable as Zach Collins.

This is a terrible deal for dallas goodness Darren

Zach Collins was 10th overall pick. His stretching ability is solid. He's made over 34% from the arc. I doubt a first from Denver could be better than him. I know Chandler and Faried are better veterans. But I don't think we could find a trade partner for either guy. That means we're better off sticking with better draft rights. Also, I think the duo will make the Mavs better due to their size, defense and rebounding. But they're not good enough to gain us a trip to a playoff run. If trading for pick is the goal, I don't think we settle for mediocre mid-first round talents. To be sure, Barnes is better than anyone beyond top 10 in 2018 draft. If we get no lottery pick for him, I don't see trading him anyway. He's just 25. I think some guys mistaken him as 28 yo. He's still young enough for a rebuilding team like the Mavs.
Darren
RealGM

Post#53 » by Darren » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:29 am

To be sure, I also don't mind Noah and Mikal Bridge for cap space; Deng and a future Lakers's first for Wes. We may use it on RFA anyway. Why don't we use it on pick?
Monky15
Starter
And1: 692

Post#54 » by Monky15 » Sun Apr 1, 2018 11:31 am

What about Plumlee, Arthur, Hernangomez for Barnes.
Hern is on a rookie deal until Plumlee expires and Plumlee can actually earn his salary in Dallas. Arthur is expiring filler.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,568

Post#55 » by nomansland » Sun Apr 1, 2018 11:42 pm

Monky15 wrote:What about Plumlee, Arthur, Hernangomez for Barnes.
Hern is on a rookie deal until Plumlee expires and Plumlee can actually earn his salary in Dallas. Arthur is expiring filler.

How does that set Denver up salary-wise for the long term? They're going to need cap space to pay Jokic and Murray.

But salaries aside, the deal is basically Plumlee for Barnes. If Dallas wants to go full Process mode that's probably an interesting deal. Otherwise I don't see them doing it.

Return to Trades and Transactions