Jabari: Nearly Traded @ Deadline, Unlikely to Stay with Bucks

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,917

Re: Jabari: Nearly Traded @ Deadline, Unlikely to Stay with Bucks 

Post#61 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:09 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
JamesConway wrote:Could definetely see DAL throw a gigantic offersheet at him. Smthm like $80-90+M/4yrs. Milwaukee's ceiling in the contract negotiations was $18M/yr for three years according to Lowe (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22272947/zach-lowe-milwaukee-bucks).

A team will be desperate enough to drown him in money. He's been playing well since coming back from the injury. Pretty much hasn't lost any explosiveness. Huge risk but all it takes is one desperate team.

How is Parker worth that kind of money when he has missed the biggest part of 2 seasons out of four? Maybe $12-14 million for 3 yrs the final year only a partial guarantee. Too much injury risk to throw a $80-90 million deal for 4 yrs.

He's absolutely getting 18-20 per from someone. No question. Maybe more.

You may be right but with his injury history someone may be sorry.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 3,987

Post#62 » by vxmike » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:19 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
JamesConway wrote:Could definetely see DAL throw a gigantic offersheet at him. Smthm like $80-90+M/4yrs. Milwaukee's ceiling in the contract negotiations was $18M/yr for three years according to Lowe (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22272947/zach-lowe-milwaukee-bucks).

A team will be desperate enough to drown him in money. He's been playing well since coming back from the injury. Pretty much hasn't lost any explosiveness. Huge risk but all it takes is one desperate team.

How is Parker worth that kind of money when he has missed the biggest part of 2 seasons out of four? Maybe $12-14 million for 3 yrs the final year only a partial guarantee. Too much injury risk to throw a $80-90 million deal for 4 yrs.

Who has cap space and would benefit from giving Jabari $20m/yr?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,332

Post#63 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:28 am

I think Utah just makes so much sense. Fits the age of their core with Mitchell and Gobert, him and SLC already have a connection, I think him playing the 4 next to Gobert is the perfect fit for him as well. The sign and trade with Favors just makes too much sense for all parties involved that you know its not going to happen haha. No way he gets the max, but I can see a team taking a shot on him for 18-20 a year. If you can get 18-20 for 3 years plus a team option for the 4th year, I think that can be a reasonable deal.
Jaw
Bench Warmer
And1: 466

Post#64 » by Jaw » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:45 am

Duke4life831 wrote:I think Utah just makes so much sense. Fits the age of their core with Mitchell and Gobert, him and SLC already have a connection, I think him playing the 4 next to Gobert is the perfect fit for him as well. The sign and trade with Favors just makes too much sense for all parties involved that you know its not going to happen haha. No way he gets the max, but I can see a team taking a shot on him for 18-20 a year. If you can get 18-20 for 3 years plus a team option for the 4th year, I think that can be a reasonable deal.

Agreed Favors would be a great fit for Bucks and without a S&T I don't think they'd have the cap to sign him even if they let Parker walk. Assuming that Bucks don't actually want Parker at the price he demands I think something centered around that could really work for both teams in addressing areas of weakness. Jazz get a young guy with potential to be 1-2 scoring punch with Mitchell while Bucks get a center (I think Favors will do better back in his more natural position) that fits their timeline perfectly and provides strong interior D and rebounding.

I'm not convinced Bucks actually don't want Parker, just cause you almost traded someone doesn't necessarily mean you don't like the guy and the fact that they didn't pull the trigger with him entering FA I think is a clear sign they have at least some interest in keeping him around.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,332

Post#65 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:49 am

Jaw wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I think Utah just makes so much sense. Fits the age of their core with Mitchell and Gobert, him and SLC already have a connection, I think him playing the 4 next to Gobert is the perfect fit for him as well. The sign and trade with Favors just makes too much sense for all parties involved that you know its not going to happen haha. No way he gets the max, but I can see a team taking a shot on him for 18-20 a year. If you can get 18-20 for 3 years plus a team option for the 4th year, I think that can be a reasonable deal.

Agreed Favors would be a great fit for Bucks and without a S&T I don't think they'd have the cap to sign him even if they let Parker walk. Assuming that Bucks don't actually want Parker at the price he demands I think something centered around that could really work for both teams in addressing areas of weakness. Jazz get a young guy with potential to be 1-2 scoring punch with Mitchell while Bucks get a center (I think Favors will do better back in his more natural position) that fits their timeline perfectly and provides strong interior D and rebounding.

I'm not convinced Bucks actually don't want Parker, just cause you almost traded someone doesn't mean necessarily mean you don't like the guy and the fact that they didn't pull the trigger with him entering FA I think is a clear sign they have at least some interest in keeping him around.

Ya Im not convinced either that they dont want him. But if the Bucks get wind of teams willing to offer 4/80 type contracts and if they dont want to tie themselves to him for that kind of money because of fit issues plus injury concerns (I wouldnt blame any team for not wanting Jabari on that contract), I can see the Bucks making that deal so they can at least get something back instead of losing him for nothing.
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,673

Post#66 » by dorkestra » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:58 am

I think it makes sense for the Jazz, Jabari, Jazz fans, Jazz management, the Mormon community, and the city of Salt Lake City. Any stakeholders I'm missing?
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,497

Post#67 » by Meat » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:44 pm

Injury proned, suspect defense? ISO heavy? You’ll get at least 2 unprotected firsts from the Knicks
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 4,996

Post#68 » by R-DAWG » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:38 pm

Boarder Patrol wrote:He'll get money for sure, injury concerns but there'll be a market. LAL to add to the young core maybe? Can never have enough wings.

I could see a large contract for him either ending up very poorly for obvious reasons, very well based off his huge talent and ceiling, or anywhere in between. It's a worthwhile gamble for teams that want to take the next step.

The Lakers would be interesting, if they go the young route. Ball-Ingram-Jabbari-Randle with Kuzma off the bench is a lot of talent.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,476

Post#69 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:51 pm

vxmike wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

Hawks,Brooklyn, Dallas, Pacers, Knicks, Philly, Sac, PHO could make space. All it takes is one yes.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Post#70 » by trwi7 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:53 pm

Meat wrote:Injury proned, suspect defense? ISO heavy? You’ll get at least 2 unprotected firsts from the Knicks

We would promptly trade those picks for Grievis Vasquez type players.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#71 » by skones » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:01 pm

Meat wrote:Injury proned, suspect defense? ISO heavy? You’ll get at least 2 unprotected firsts from the Knicks

He's not an iso heavy player.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,440

Post#72 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:48 am

Wouldn't mind him on the Magic on a cost controlled 3 yr contract, but the way Biyombo's contract is set up....
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,442

Post#73 » by KF10 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:26 am

spidythejoe wrote:Makes a lot of sense for a team like Sacramento who are desperate for a first option scorer. I could absolutely seen them looking to over pay to the tune of max or near max money and then let the young kids grow up together.

I would like to see the Kings target Jabari Parker or Aaron Gordon for reasons you stated.

I lean towards Gordon because he doesn't have any significant injury concerns, is a California-native, still has a lot to grow.

Draft Mikal or Miles Bridges and we may have something:

Fox
Bogdanovic
Bridges
Gordon
WCS

This is an exciting young team that can create havoc in the near future, imo.
spidythejoe
Rookie
And1: 80

Post#74 » by spidythejoe » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:58 pm

KF10 wrote:
spidythejoe wrote:Makes a lot of sense for a team like Sacramento who are desperate for a first option scorer. I could absolutely seen them looking to over pay to the tune of max or near max money and then let the young kids grow up together.

I would like to see the Kings target Jabari Parker or Aaron Gordon for reasons you stated.

I lean towards Gordon because he doesn't have any significant injury concerns, is a California-native, still has a lot to grow.

Fox
Bogdanovic
Bridges
Gordon
WCS

I agree with everything you said except the WCS part. I am official out on him. Bring on the Giles/Skal/Warm body who actually rebounds era. Can't take Willie's game any more.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,056

Post#75 » by shrink » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:10 pm

Dunc'd On Podcast last night had a good breakdown on Jabari last night, so I thought I'd mention that if anyone is interested.

KF10 wrote:I would like to see the Kings target Jabari Parker or Aaron Gordon for reasons you stated.

One of the most interesting questions was whether he can get a big contract in free agency. The three experts couldn't find a good landing spot with money, especially since Aaron Gordon will probably be preferred.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#76 » by KF10 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:11 pm

spidythejoe wrote:
KF10 wrote:

Fox
Bogdanovic
Bridges
Gordon
WCS

I agree with everything you said except the WCS part. I am official out on him. Bring on the Giles/Skal/Warm body who actually rebounds era. Can't take Willie's game any more.

I still think WCS is a good player. His head is in the wrong place in regards to what he view himself as (he think he can score the ball) but if someone convinces him to play to his strengths, he is a real solid player. His rebounding is below average to average (per-36: 9 rpg, career-wise) and is a bit quirky off the court. That being said, I wouldn't mind Giles or anyone from the draft (Bamba?) replace WCS if they can.

Man oh man, if the "Giles project" actually materialize into something:

Fox
Bogdanovic
Bridges
Gordon
Giles
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#77 » by KF10 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:13 pm

shrink wrote:Dunc'd On Podcast last night had a good breakdown on Jabari last night, so I thought I'd mention that if anyone is interested.

KF10 wrote:I would like to see the Kings target Jabari Parker or Aaron Gordon for reasons you stated.

One of the most interesting questions was whether he can get a big contract in free agency. The three experts couldn't find a good landing spot with money, especially since Aaron Gordon will probably be preferred.

Yeah, Gordon is probably the preferred choice over Jabari if I was a NBA team that is looking to throw major $$$ around.

I like Gordon over Jabari for the Kings.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#78 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:42 pm

Wasabi_Johnson wrote:
vxmike wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

Hawks,Brooklyn, Dallas, Pacers, Knicks, Philly, Sac, PHO could make space. All it takes is one yes.

Brooklyn doesn't have enough cap.
Philly has bigger targets.
Rest make some sense.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,726

Post#79 » by HotelVitale » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:24 am

Jaw wrote:If they really didn't want Parker why didn't they accept the trade? Letting him walk for nothing is stupid and even if they do a S&T they'll likely have to take back some salary which can put them close to the luxury.

Probably wasn't a very good offer, at least not enough for them to give up the chance that a) no one gives a RFA offer that beats the Bucks by much or b) Parker has a change of heart and decides $18m a year on a good team is better than $21m a year playing for Vivek Ranadive. Most teams know Parker's going to be a risk on a big contract (even if his health holds up), so why give up big assets for him?
Jaw
Bench Warmer
And1: 466

Post#80 » by Jaw » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:35 am

HotelVitale wrote:
Jaw wrote:If they really didn't want Parker why didn't they accept the trade? Letting him walk for nothing is stupid and even if they do a S&T they'll likely have to take back some salary which can put them close to the luxury.

Probably wasn't a very good offer, at least not enough for them to give up the chance that a) no one gives a RFA offer that beats the Bucks by much or b) Parker has a change of heart and decides $18m a year on a good team is better than $21m a year playing for Vivek Ranadive. Most teams know Parker's going to be a risk on a big contract (even if his health holds up), so why give up big assets for him?

I agree. I was saying that to combat the narrative that Gery Woelfel is trying to spread that there is a "slim to none" chance Parker plays on the Bucks next year. If they didn't move him at the deadline despite being "very, very close" the offers are only going to get worse in a S&T scenario this summer or worse you get nothing for him. I think this is a sign that Bucks have an interest in retaining him. No they may not be willing to give Parker the max (nor do I think they should) but I think they have an interest in resigning him. Bucks of course with his rights have the last say of whether they want him or not if he signs a big deal elsewhere.

Return to Trades and Transactions