Stripped-Down CLE-POR-SAS

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Stripped-Down CLE-POR-SAS 

Post#1 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:44 pm

I may keep fiercely held opinions, but I am willing to tweak my proposals based on feedback from the board. If these ideas were perfect, I wouldn't be sharing them here, I'd be flagging down an actual GM! (EDIT: in other words, thank you)

Here's my latest attempt:

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7026714

CLE trades Thompson/Smith/BRK1st(#6) for McCollum/Leonard/POR1st (#26)
The Cavaliers slide down in the draft for an elite perimeter scorer.
Clarkson, McCollum, Hood, James, Love
Hill, Korver, Osman, Nance, Leonard

POR trades McCollum/Harkless/Leonard/POR1st for Leonard/Thompson/Smith
The Blazers make waves in the West, as they look to become a true contender. Allen has deep pockets, and won't be concerned with giving Kawhi a supermax.
Lillard, Smith, Leonard, Thompson, {Nurkic}
{Napier}, Turner, Aminu, Layman, Collins

SAS trades Leonard for Harkless/BRK1st
The Spurs get a younger, versatile SF and a mid-lotto pick for a disgruntled superstar.
Murray, [Doncic], Harkless, Aldridge, Gasol
Mills, Green, Gay, {Anderson}, Lauvergne
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Re: Stripped-Down CLE-POR-SAS 

Post#2 » by Village Idiot » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:49 pm

f Cleveland is going to retain LeBron they would probably rather get Kawhi than McCollum.

With Aldridge under contract for another 4 years and Pop not going to want to rebuild they don't trade Kawhi for a pick.

Portland does this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can see something around McCollum, Aminu and Portland 2019 1st unprotected for Leonard and Mills working for both teams.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#3 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:09 pm

Village Idiot wrote:f Cleveland is going to retain LeBron they would probably rather get Kawhi than McCollum.

With Aldridge under contract for another 4 years and Pop not going to want to rebuild they don't trade Kawhi for a pick.

Portland does this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can see something around McCollum, Aminu and Portland 2019 1st unprotected for Leonard and Mills working for both teams.

Fair points.

I feel that with LBJ/Hood starting, and Osman/Nance coming off the bench, the Cavs are set at the forward spots. Kawhi is good enough to run him out as a 2, but I'm not sure SAS would be willing to absorb the contracts that CLE are sending in a direct exchange. However, maybe Hood (S&T) + BRK1st would satisfy the Spurs. At a certain point though, you have to wonder how much deeper CLE can plunge into the luxury tax. With my deal, they remain essentially cap-neutral, since the '19 salary bump washes with the difference between the contract of the 6th and the 26th pick. But if CLE super-max'd Leonard, they'd be about $15mil higher than after Hood's extension, with like $60mil more in repeater tax penalties for each of the next 4 seasons! Hill-Leonard-James-Nance-Love is a force, but I just don't think it's economically feasible for Cleveland.

As for your assertion about SAS, eh, I think Popp would stick around if they draft Luka.
-- Steve Martin
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#4 » by Mykhyn » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:45 pm

Again Portland is just stealing value. There is no scenario they get kawhi for CJ and bad contracts.

Pretending the value is enough, why would Cleveland not just cut out Portland ?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,155

Post#5 » by jbk1234 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:51 pm

The Cavs aren't taking Leonard. They're in the repeater tax. They'd rather just let Portland keep their pick. Make it Thompson/Korver.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#6 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:15 pm

Value is more than great for a healthy Kawhi but what is going on with him? Why would the Spurs move him at a discount rate for a mid lottery pick?
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#7 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:25 pm

jbk1234 wrote:The Cavs aren't taking Leonard. They're in the repeater tax. They'd rather just let Portland keep their pick. Make it Thompson/Korver.

I appreciate your confirmation on the repeater tax, having LBJ and Kawhi on one team would be awesome; owing them a combined $80mil however (with an expensive supporting cast), would not.

Are you saying you would rather move Korver than Smith in this deal? Even if this deal pushes JR to the bench? I don't think the money works anyway, unless POR wants to give you Collins instead of Leonard. Then, I think it would become way too good for CLE and expensive for POR, even if POR withdrew its 1st and CLE gave a future one to SAS.
-- Steve Martin
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,155

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:39 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:The Cavs aren't taking Leonard. They're in the repeater tax. They'd rather just let Portland keep their pick. Make it Thompson/Korver.

I appreciate your confirmation on the repeater tax, having LBJ and Kawhi on one team would be awesome; owing them a combined $80mil however (with an expensive supporting cast), would not.

Are you saying you would rather move Korver than Smith in this deal? Even if this deal pushes JR to the bench? I don't think the money works anyway, unless POR wants to give you Collins instead of Leonard. Then, I think it would become way too good for CLE and expensive for POR, even if POR withdrew its 1st and CLE gave a future one to SAS.

I'd rather buy out JR than be stuck with Leonard's deal for two years. I mean Leonard would never play and his contract would effectively cost the Cavs $40 million per.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Jaw
Bench Warmer
And1: 466

Post#9 » by Jaw » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:58 pm

Yeah I'm not sure why Cavs wouldn't cut out Portland and get Kawhi themselves. I'm not sure how you would be able to sell this trade to Lebron, "yeah we could've gotten Kawhi but instead we got McCollum and a late 1st". If Cavs are going to keep Lebron they are going to be in the luxury anyway so might as well give themselves the best shot at winning a ring by adding a top 5 player in Kawhi.

The finances wouldn't be easy but I think Cavs could make it work (Look at the Warriors). Kawhi's extension wouldn't kick in until 19-20 when a lot of Cavs bad contracts will be in their final year or non-guaranteed. The Cavs aren't going to be able to compete with the Warriors by being cheap.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#10 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:18 pm

Jaw wrote:Yeah I'm not sure why Cavs wouldn't cut out Portland and get Kawhi themselves. I'm not sure how you would be able to sell this trade to Lebron, "yeah we could've gotten Kawhi but instead we got McCollum and a late 1st". If Cavs are going to keep Lebron they are going to be in the luxury anyway so might as well give themselves the best shot at winning a ring by adding a top 5 player in Kawhi.

The finances wouldn't be easy but I think Cavs could make it work (Look at the Warriors). Kawhi's extension wouldn't kick in until 19-20 when a lot of Cavs bad contracts will be in their final year or non-guaranteed. The Cavs aren't going to be able to compete with the Warriors by being cheap.

Cheap, you say?

The Cavaliers are already going to be BY FAR the most expensive team next season, with an estimated $300mil payroll including luxury taxes. Adding Kawhi's supermax contract would trigger another $60mil in penalties each year, on top of the salary. It'd be different if CLE were scraping the salary floor, but that's not the case here. C'mon, even if it isn't our money, we have to act like it matters a lil' bit at some point.
-- Steve Martin
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,490

Post#11 » by jayjaysee » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:31 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
Jaw wrote:Yeah I'm not sure why Cavs wouldn't cut out Portland and get Kawhi themselves. I'm not sure how you would be able to sell this trade to Lebron, "yeah we could've gotten Kawhi but instead we got McCollum and a late 1st". If Cavs are going to keep Lebron they are going to be in the luxury anyway so might as well give themselves the best shot at winning a ring by adding a top 5 player in Kawhi.

Cheap, you say?

The Cavaliers are already going to be BY FAR the most expensive team next season, with an estimated $300mil payroll including luxury taxes. Adding Kawhi's supermax contract would trigger another $60mil in penalties each year, on top of the salary. It'd be different if CLE were scraping the salary floor, but that's not the case here. C'mon, even if it isn't our money, we have to act like it matters a lil' bit at some point.

You’re adding Leonard’s money without subtracting the money the Cavs are sending out? Or considering the money keeping Lebron, because of having KLeonard and making the finals adds?

I’m just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,490

Post#12 » by jayjaysee » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:39 pm

If CJ was all that was available, I like the trade for Cleveland. I think they’d try to not end up with Meyers, but they could try to flip Meyers and the Portland first for salary relief.. 26 probably doesn’t clear all of Meyers, but it should come close.. or like JBK suggested just use Korver for salary instead of JR so the Cavs don’t end up with Meyers.

But CJ isn’t the best in this hypothetical and Cleveland would cut out Portland in any variation IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,454

Post#13 » by Myth » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:42 pm

Yes for Portland.

Return to Trades and Transactions