If Memphis rebuilds

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Re: If Memphis rebuilds 

Post#21 » by FutureKnicksGM » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:47 pm

Jaw wrote:The Grizzlies pick is protected 1-8 in 2019, 1-6 in 2020 and unprotected in 2021 so I think they may be better off holding off the rebuild so their pick conveys next year and not later on when it can be potentially more valuable. I don't see them being able to land anything considerable for any of their big contracts so they may be better off trying to make a final playoff run with a healthy Conley and Gasol plus their 2018 draft pick. It would burn a year of Gasol and Parsons contracts making them expirings which could make them easier to deal (get bad contract and an asset back). Conley probably wouldn't be bad to keep around since a good point guard makes everyone else look better and can be helpful in the development of the youth.

Thats a good point. I think if you can get a high level asset like BKN pick you go the full rebuild/tank route as you should be able to build your core with MEM 18/BKN 18/MEM 19/ MEM 20. But if you can't, it may be worthwhile to push for #9+ and clear your debts, especially if 19 looks like it will be as weak as rumored. Interesting.

CLE is the definitely the only hope for moving both Conley & Gasol in the same deal.

I would say Gasol, Conley and Green for Hill, JR, Clarkson,Tristan & BKN pick. But CLE probably have better options.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,598

Post#22 » by NYG » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:59 pm

Would Thibodeau make some kind of deal sending out Wiggins for Gasol/Conley with fillers? Seems like the kind of win now at all costs type of move Thibs would like and the Grizzlies adding Wiggins to their ‘18 1st is a start.
Larry Legend 33
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,239

Post#23 » by Larry Legend 33 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Djh7475 wrote:Grizzlies Out: Chandler Parsons, 2018 1st (assuming Ayton is available)
Grizzlies In: Terry Rozier, Celtics 2018 1st, Grizzlies 2019 1st, 2019 Clippers 1st

Celtics Out: 2018 1st, 2019 Grizzlies 1st, 2019 Kings/76ers 1st, 2019 Clippers 1st, Terry Rozier
Celtics In: Ayton

Kings Out: Top 55 protected 2nd
Kings In: 2019 Kings/76ers 1st, Chandler Parsons

Can the Kings take on Parsons for straight up picks & no expirings? Didn't think that was allowed. I could see a deal like this happening straight up between MEM & BOS. Boston would probably offer some combination of Jaylen Brown / SAC19 / MEM19 / LAC19 / BOS18 / Rozier if Ainge wants Ayton. Could kick off quite the process with 3-5 of those assets, but I don't know if anyone is willing to risk their job passing on Ayton.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#24 » by sonictecture » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:55 pm

Memphis looked like a playoff contender before Conley went down for the season. As others have said it makes no sense to tear it all down based on the cost involved.

If the Grizz get a good draft pick then they will be ok. If Parsons needs to be removed, then insurance or the stretch provision could be implemented.
Jaw
Bench Warmer
And1: 466

Post#25 » by Jaw » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:14 pm

NYG wrote:Would Thibodeau make some kind of deal sending out Wiggins for Gasol/Conley with fillers? Seems like the kind of win now at all costs type of move Thibs would like and the Grizzlies adding Wiggins to their ‘18 1st is a start.

I don't like the fit of Gasol with KAT so its probably not worth it unless Grizzlies are basically giving him away for a guy like Dieng or something. I think Conley would be a great fit. Twolves would probably want to dump Teague though in the deal or a secondary one. Grizzlies don't really have a solid starting caliber sg/sf so maybe Twolves send Teague (plus their late 1st and/or Patton) to a team like Orlando who has guys like Fournier, Ross and Simmons who could give Twolves minutes on the wing.

Twolves would have to be pretty high on Conley imo for it to work but Teague hasn't been that great a fit and although Conley is more expensive for next 3 years his remaining contract is two years shorter than Wiggins.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#26 » by babyjax13 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:14 pm

NYG wrote:Would Thibodeau make some kind of deal sending out Wiggins for Gasol/Conley with fillers? Seems like the kind of win now at all costs type of move Thibs would like and the Grizzlies adding Wiggins to their ‘18 1st is a start.

That actually seems really promising.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,095

Post#27 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:18 pm

babyjax13 wrote:

Yeah I like that a lot.

Wiggins, Teague, OKC 1st, Patton for Gasol, Conley
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#28 » by babyjax13 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:35 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Yeah I like that a lot.

Wonder if the Spurs would swap LMA for Gasol? IF there is a split between he and Kawhi that might make this trade work a little better. But I also think we've clearly slept on how good LMA is. Yet another team he is on is a playoff team with him as the best player. He's clearly a top 20 player in the league if not better.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,012

Post#29 » by R-DAWG » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:35 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:Would the BKN be enough to pull both Gasol & Conley? There’s risk with the Conley deal but I think both would compliment Lebron perfectly

Depends. If the Brooklyn pick is top 5, I can't see Cavs being interested. If pick is #6 and up, maybe it increases the chances:

Ie.

#7 + Hill + Thompson + Smith
for
#31 + Conley + Gasol + 2019 2nd + 2020 2nd

I could endorse this for both teams but I don't think Memphis should be giving up the 2nd round picks. So I'd be on board for:

for
Conley + Gasol

In addition for Memphis Parsons should not play again. He should get a medical retirement. This trade and Parsons retirement would give the Griz a complete reset of their team salaries and allow them to turn the corner on rebuilding.

This is interesting, if there is another trade for Love lined up as he and Gasol are redundant. I would argue that Gasol is a better fit, even though he is declining, than playing Love at C. A healthy Mike Conley is also an excellent fit. I would agree that this only make sense if the pick is in the 6-8 range, and CLE can dump Thompson and Smith, although I can't really consider it value when factoring in the back end of Conley's deal.

I almost feel like MEM needs to add something to the deal. Maybe Jamychel Green? Or some small asset that can be packaged with Kevin Love for CJ McCollum.

Gasol
Nance
James
McCollum
Conley
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#30 » by VCfor3 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:22 pm

Jaw wrote:The Grizzlies pick is protected 1-8 in 2019, 1-6 in 2020 and unprotected in 2021 so I think they may be better off holding off the rebuild so their pick conveys next year and not later on when it can be potentially more valuable (next year is reportedly a weak draft anyway). I don't see them being able to land anything considerable for any of their big contracts so they may be better off trying to make a final playoff run with a healthy Conley and Gasol plus their 2018 draft pick. It would burn a year of Gasol and Parsons contracts making them expirings which could make them easier to deal (get bad contract and an asset back). Conley probably wouldn't be bad to keep around since a good point guard makes everyone else look better and can be helpful in the development of the youth.

This. The Grizzlies are embracing a one year tank and then trying to be competitive next season in large part to erase the pick owed to Boston. Then they can truly tank if they want and at that point Marc and Parsons are expiring contracts. The top draft pick from this year will only be 20 and will have been able to spend his first year on a competitive team prior to experiencing a whole lot of bad basketball. Gasol could be moved as a very good player on an expiring deal for a bad contract and compensation and Parsons could just expire to clear cap room. Gasol is having a bit of a down year, but that is more to do with roster personnel/lineups being utilized. He is certainly declining, but most of his game should age pretty well and competent players around him could really help.

Another very interesting point to note, we don't know who will own the Grizzlies come even draft time. There is a whole weird thing in the contract between Pera and the two biggest minority owners where 5 years after purchase they have the chance to set a price per share and Pera has to either sell his shares at that price or buy out the minority owners. They enacted this and set their price. It is now on Pera to decide if he wants to buy them out or sell his shares.

Edit: For those who are trying to use Brooks in their theoretical trades, be aware that he is the first pick the Grizzlies seem to have actually hit on in the last forever and has started to look pretty decent of late. I think the FO will value him much more than others and that he likely won't get moved. They also are high on Rabb but he hasn't proven himself like Brooks has. Pretty much any other young player is available for the right price though.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,490

Post#31 » by jayjaysee » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:42 pm

I think they will be a 5th-6th seed next year and then can decide..

Also, Parsons is a full season away from not playing before being medical retirement.. Judy because he’s not been good, doesn’t make him eligible.

But if Memphis is thinking about a rebuild.. I’d trade Gasol this summer and let the Celtic pick be a sunk cost. If I have Ayton and tank a year or two, I’ll bet on my team being better enough in 2021-2022.. but I’d rather compete

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#32 » by dakomish23 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:02 am

R-DAWG wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:
Depends. If the Brooklyn pick is top 5, I can't see Cavs being interested. If pick is #6 and up, maybe it increases the chances:

Ie.

for
#31 + Conley + Gasol + 2019 2nd + 2020 2nd

I could endorse this for both teams but I don't think Memphis should be giving up the 2nd round picks. So I'd be on board for:

for
Conley + Gasol

In addition for Memphis Parsons should not play again. He should get a medical retirement. This trade and Parsons retirement would give the Griz a complete reset of their team salaries and allow them to turn the corner on rebuilding.

This is interesting, if there is another trade for Love lined up as he and Gasol are redundant. I would argue that Gasol is a better fit, even though he is declining, than playing Love at C. A healthy Mike Conley is also an excellent fit. I would agree that this only make sense if the pick is in the 6-8 range, and CLE can dump Thompson and Smith, although I can't really consider it value when factoring in the back end of Conley's deal.

I almost feel like MEM needs to add something to the deal. Maybe Jamychel Green? Or some small asset that can be packaged with Kevin Love for CJ McCollum.

Gasol
Nance
James
McCollum
Conley

How are Love and Gasol redundant
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#33 » by dalton749 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:14 am

Bentley1225 wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:not sure if Toronto would look at this but I think

Gasol, Parsons, Green for Valanciunas, Ibaka, Powell, TOR 2019 lotto protected 1st is interesting

Id consider Valinciunas/Powell/2020 1st round pick for Gasol/Brooks

Valanciunas will be better player than gasol from next year on so toronto would have to really want rid of powell to give up a first as well. I think Memphis missed their chance to get good value for him.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Post#34 » by BarbaGrizz » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:41 pm

Djh7475 wrote:I just don’t the point in going into a full-blown rebuild when Gasol is the only player on the roster with positive trade value, and he’s having a down year which could be to age or roster construction. Conley has negative value at this point with his Achilles problems and massive contract. Gasol could potentially land a bad contract and a mid-range draft pick, but that doesn’t seem like enough for Memphis to get rid of him. Considering the pick they owe the Celtics has declining protections on it, they would probably want to find a way to get that pick back in any trade.

If the Grizzlies could use their draft pick (assuming it ends up at #1 or #2) to unload Parsons and move back or get their own 1st or future 1sts out of it, they would be in much better shape then they currently are. Something that could be interesting that would get the Parsons contract off of the Grizzlies books while getting their pick back is:

Grizzlies Out: Chandler Parsons, 2018 1st (assuming Ayton is available)
Grizzlies In: Terry Rozier, Celtics 2018 1st, Grizzlies 2019 1st, 2019 Clippers 1st

Celtics Out: 2018 1st, 2019 Grizzlies 1st, 2019 Kings/76ers 1st, 2019 Clippers 1st, Terry Rozier
Celtics In: Ayton

Kings Out: Top 55 protected 2nd
Kings In: 2019 Kings/76ers 1st, Chandler Parsons

The Grizzlies unload Parsons’ contract and get an incredible Conley insurance policy in Terry Rozier who is looking more and more like a starting caliber 2-way guard. He could play next to or behind Conley, fill in when he’s injured, and eventually become his replacement. They get their own 1st back, another 2019 1st that should be a mid-round pick, and they get a 2018 1st in the 20’s. This would give them several more assets and a lot more cap flexibility moving forward.

The Celtics consolidate all of their remaining assets into our big man of the future. Moving Rozier makes it easier to resign Smart without worrying about next offseason, and we solidify our roster for the present and the forseeable future. Kyrie/Smart, Jaylen/Ojeleye, Hayward/Morris, Tatum/Theiss, and Horford/Ayton has the perfect mix of youth and experience to keep us near the top of the East for the forseeable future.

The Kings use their cap space to get their 2019 1st back. The 2019 draft has several high quality wings near the top that the 2018 draft is lacking. The Kings already have several young guards and big men, but they are lacking any sort of 2-way wing for the future. Outside of Porter Jr. (who didn’t look great returning from injury), there just aren’t any wings that should go ahead of some of the bigs available in the Kings’ range (Bagley, Bamba, JJ, etc.).

This is really, really, REALLY bad for Grizzlies. You don't trade a generational talent for cap relief.
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#35 » by mademan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:11 pm

Grizz will get a good pick, Conley will be back healthy and they'll challenge for the playoffs and give up a late lotto pick. Then they'll consider tearing it down
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,598

Post#36 » by NYG » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:26 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Yeah I like that a lot.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y97afok2

With picks going where they are needed
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#37 » by Laimbeer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:01 pm

Drummond and Jackson.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#38 » by E S V L » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:30 am

As much as I love discussing the Grizzlies future, I can’t see a full rebuild as a feasible option. There are many factors - a surprisingly low value of the core players, lack of picks, but the most importainly - lost of the goodwill having been created for the last 5-6 years. Not to mention that the current team is very decent when healthy.
FK NFL
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,104

Post#39 » by JB2 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:25 am

respect on a good idea for both squads... if LeBron is willing to stay, this seems like a really fair deal if Memphis takes out that #31.

Great mix is young/old talent for LeBron and Memphis can fast track a rebuild if they draft well.
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,104

Post#40 » by JB2 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:27 am

dakomish23 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

for
Conley + Gasol

Gasol
Nance
James
McCollum
Conley

How are Love and Gasol redundant

And why would Portland even remotely consider trading CJ for Love?

If they wanted to move love to slide LeBron the 4 and get younger on the wing, then that's one thing I don't see any way Love could ever get CJ.

Return to Trades and Transactions