Utah tries to get a lottery pick (2 ideas; w/CHA, DEN)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:19 pm

Trade 1
Utah trades/Charlotte receives: Alec Burks, Thabo Sefelosha, Tony Bradley
Charlotte trades/Utah receives: Nic Batum, 2018 CHA 1st (11 ish)

Trade 2
Utah trades/Charlotte receives: Jonas Jerebko, Ekpe Udoh, Royce O'neale
Charlotte trades/Utah receives: Marvin Williams (or Cody Zeller?)

Charlotte doesn't just move Batum for expirings, they move him for an expiring contract and a contract that is affordable but also non-guaranteed for this coming season, plus a recent first round Utah seems to like. This means that if they so chose they could not Sefelosha and immediately reduce their payroll by $13 million after the first part of the trade. Batum is still good, but horrifically overpaid. The second trade then moves Marvin Williams for completely unguarenteed contracts, opening up more cap space (so about $26 million more than they would have otherwise).

Admittedly I don't know that this is actually worth it for either team, but it seems like the salary savings for Charlotte should at least make thinking about moving on from a lottery pick fairly enticing.
--------
A little bit tongue and cheek, but we've done well with Denver's picks...

Utah trades/Denver receives: Thabo Sefelosha, Ekpe Udoh, 20
Denver trades/Utah receives: Kenneth Faried, 14, $3 million cash

Utah moves up, Denver drops salary (by non guaranteeing Sefelosha and Udoh). I'm actually assuming Utah would buyout Faried so that he can go somewhere where he would get consistent playing time, but he'd probably be a useful enough backup center for us. Obviously we are doing this if we see someone we like and Denver is doing this if they don't like whoever is available (my assumption is that we need a power forward and they don't, and there are lots available at this point in the draft, but more wings at 20 so Denver might draft the same player whether they were at 14 or 20 while one of the Bridges brothers or Knox won't drop to Utah).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,471

Post#2 » by jayjaysee » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:17 pm

I love Batum and Marvin with Rubio/Mitchell/Ingles/Jae/Gobert

Seems very reasonable value if Char is willing to use the pick to dump Batum... I would say they might prefer a couple decent 2nds to Bradley though? They have big men... And Utah would likely rather have Bradley.

But I don’t think Char would use the pick to dump Batum as long as Kemba is on the team..

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Re: Utah tries to get a lottery pick (2 ideas; w/CHA, DEN) 

Post#3 » by babyjax13 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:13 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I love Batum and Marvin with Rubio/Mitchell/Ingles/Jae/Gobert

Seems very reasonable value if Char is willing to use the pick to dump Batum... I would say they might prefer a couple decent 2nds to Bradley though? They have big men... And Utah would likely rather have Bradley.

But I don’t think Char would use the pick to dump Batum as long as Kemba is on the team..

Salaries don't work without him, b/c I didn't want to include him or O'neale. I think if they move Kemba they wouldn't use the pick to dump Batum, not the other way around. This gets them out of a long-term bind so that when Kemba/Howard expire so does pretty much everyone else and they have the money to be major players, or they have some money this offseason to get some good role players on the cheap that are equally as impactful as the guys they are moving. But I also think personally that Charlotte is in a terrible spot and they probably shouldn't even think about moving their picks. Also I like their fit, too, and I think with Mitchell on a rookie contract the whole time we have them it makes it a lot easier to swallow.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,471

Post#4 » by jayjaysee » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:24 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:I love Batum and Marvin with Rubio/Mitchell/Ingles/Jae/Gobert

Salaries don't work without him, b/c I didn't want to include him or O'neale. I think if they move Kemba they wouldn't use the pick to dump Batum, not the other way around. This gets them out of a long-term bind so that when Kemba/Howard expire so does pretty much everyone else and they have the money to be major players, or they have some money this offseason to get some good role players on the cheap that are equally as impactful as the guys they are moving. But I also think personally that Charlotte is in a terrible spot and they probably shouldn't even think about moving their picks. Also I like their fit, too, and I think with Mitchell on a rookie contract the whole time we have them it makes it a lot easier to swallow.

My thoughts on Char is they aren’t trading Batum.

Either they do nothing with the pick and keep Kemba, hoping for just chemistry/health to put them in the playoffs..

Or they trade 11+another asset+one of MKG/Marvin/Zeller (and Lamb as extra salary if necessary) for a star and go with Howard/(Love?)/MKG/Batum/Kemba and deal with the tax of 2020 and let Howard/Batum expire or sign cheaper, or pay the money..

Or they trade Kemba and just keep Batum. Maybe get some asset from Memphis in a Parsons swap.. or he goes back to Portland for Turner+Leonard+something... Mainly just not use assets to dump him if Kemba is gone.

But I do think Batum+11 for huge salary relief and a meh prospect in Bradley is proper value if they go that route.

And while I love the fit and direction for Utah, I don’t think they are getting some huge steal.. y’all are just in a great position because of Mitchell’s insane contract (and Jae and Ingles) and Rudy’s greatness

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Jaw
Bench Warmer
And1: 466

Re: Utah tries to get a lottery pick (2 ideas; w/CHA, DEN) 

Post#5 » by Jaw » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:43 pm

I think Charlotte will be under the tax line next year so I'm not a fan of them clearing salary just cause they can. Charlotte isn't a big FA destination and doesn't have too bright of a future so I like them keeping their pick (even if they don't have a strong draft history). If I were them I wouldn't be against trade 2 tho.

I think the Utah/Denver trade could work. Nuggets need to clear some salary although that #14 draft slot could yield a much needed wing with Barton and Chandler (PO) potentially gone in FA. I think the value is close to right if Nuggets don't love the guys who are available especially since Sefolosha could help the wing depth.

Return to Trades and Transactions