Philly Chicago Draft day deal

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,257

Philly Chicago Draft day deal 

Post#1 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat May 26, 2018 12:09 am

Not the exciting one everyone was wanting, but a simple one at the end of the 1st round.

Bulls trade: Bobby Portis
76ers trade: #26, #39

Bulls do the deal to nab another rookie, perhaps a wing they can add as they don't have any good ones. Add a second round pick since they don't have any.

Philly has 6 picks in this draft, 4 second rounders. They may look to move a couple to grab an exciting young backup for Embiid, who can contribute right away, rather than a ton of rookies.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Re: Philly Chicago Draft day deal 

Post#2 » by BullyKing » Sat May 26, 2018 2:59 am

Philly needs cheap labor not a guy who will need to be paid in a year if he's any good.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,340

Post#3 » by Kurt Heimlich » Sat May 26, 2018 3:33 am

If the Bulls also eat Bayless' deal then this framework would make sense. I'd be fairly indifferent to that proposition.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#4 » by DanTown8587 » Sat May 26, 2018 5:59 am

BullyKing wrote:Philly needs cheap labor not a guy who will need to be paid in a year if he's any good.

This a weird way to look at trying to win now. This is basically a trade I have said for two months but I also had the Bulls taking Bayless back to help clear summer cap for the Sixers.

There's no way the Sixers are going to take four rookies (or three and a stash) on their roster next year in a win-nowish year. Portis is cheap, he's restricted, and he's a good replacement for what they need on the bench in terms of play at the 4/5 and even better than Ersan, he has "carry a bench unit for the first four of the 2nd/4th" type play.

Organization would still have 10+38 to add to five rotation players in year 3 or less of the league.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#5 » by BadWolf » Sat May 26, 2018 6:38 am

Taking back Bayless for nothing would cost at least 26.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,731

Post#6 » by the_process » Sat May 26, 2018 1:14 pm

Meh. I’m not big on Portis. Philly is win now, but also win after GSW ages out. So no need to waste 26 on a player they won’t be paying the big bucks to long term, especially if they’re not even clearing Bayless. Pass.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,923

Post#7 » by ChettheJet » Sat May 26, 2018 6:26 pm

Any wing player the Bulls get at #26, so you know, wouldn't be as good to them as Valentine, Holiday or if they keep Nwaba or Kilpatrick. They're done tanking, they're aiming at the playoffs this year they don't need more potential that can't get minutes.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,565

Post#8 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat May 26, 2018 7:44 pm

BadWolf wrote:Taking back Bayless for nothing would cost at least 26.

Certainly not historically.

30 just went with double that salary.

I’m surprised how many people keep stating this as a position, but hope Philly can capitalize on it if they keep as Lebron.

30m in cap space could bring back 4 1sts.
HartfordWhalers

Post#9 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat May 26, 2018 7:53 pm

Hayesy wrote:If the Bulls also eat Bayless' deal then this framework would make sense. I'd be fairly indifferent to that proposition.

And I think this is too much value for Philly. Maybe if Chicago also gets Korkmaz as a flier or another 2nd. But I think Portis has real value.

26, Holmes, Korkmaz, 2nd rounders? Bayless for Portis leaves Philly within 200k of Lebron max.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,566

Post#10 » by jpengland » Sat May 26, 2018 8:27 pm

Portia really provides them nothing they need.

They can just keep Richaun Holmes if necessary.

They need some defense and stretchability from a back up big. Ilyasova probably comes back.

Portis (with his issues and needing paying) isn't worth assets for Philly.

That said value is 'right'. Fit is wrong.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,257

Post#11 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat May 26, 2018 9:46 pm

ChettheJet wrote:Any wing player the Bulls get at #26, so you know, wouldn't be as good to them as Valentine, Holiday or if they keep Nwaba or Kilpatrick. They're done tanking, they're aiming at the playoffs this year they don't need more potential that can't get minutes.

Where on earth did you get this idea? They'd be damn fools to make a playoff push now.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Kurt Heimlich » Sun May 27, 2018 12:11 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Hayesy wrote:If the Bulls also eat Bayless' deal then this framework would make sense. I'd be fairly indifferent to that proposition.

And I think this is too much value for Philly. Maybe if Chicago also gets Korkmaz as a flier or another 2nd. But I think Portis has real value.

26, Holmes, Korkmaz, 2nd rounders? Bayless for Portis leaves Philly within 200k of Lebron max.

Holmes is a Chicago area kid too for whatever that's worth, sign me up for this deal as a Bulls fan. The 2nd rounder(s) may need to be 2019 2nds or further as there are roster space concerns adding 3-4 additional guys. But I'm interested enough in Holmes and Korkmaz (in addition to the 26 pick of course) to easily make this deal.

And I agree re: Portis with real value. He's got lots to love. Size, shooting, motor, and youth. He's just totally blocked on this team and obviously entering his final rookie contract year.
HartfordWhalers

Post#13 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun May 27, 2018 12:28 am

Hayesy wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

Holmes is a Chicago area kid too for whatever that's worth, sign me up for this deal as a Bulls fan. The 2nd rounder(s) may need to be 2019 2nds or further as there are roster space concerns adding 3-4 additional guys. But I'm interested enough in Holmes and Korkmaz (in addition to the 26 pick of course) to easily make this deal.

And I agree re: Portis with real value. He's got lots to love. Size, shooting, motor, and youth. He's just totally blocked on this team and obviously entering his final rookie contract year.

What about Holmes/Korkmaz/Bayless/ (unknown seconds?) for top 55 protected 2nd (aka cap space)?

Then Chicago sends Portis to a better fit (still like Boston, but maybe someone else).
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Kurt Heimlich » Sun May 27, 2018 12:38 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Hayesy wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

What about Holmes/Korkmaz/Bayless/ (unknown seconds?) for top 55 protected 2nd (aka cap space)?

Then Chicago sends Portis to a better fit (still like Boston, but maybe someone else).

Not bad. But that's depending on the original motivation of the deal. If the primary motivation is finding an additional late first, then obviously this falls apart.

Holmes' expiring, UFA to be deal obviously hurts his trade value. Korkmaz is a total question mark and with an injury to worry about, but his 3 years of cheap rookie deal and 6'7'' shooting wing profile has inherent value. Maybe if the Bulls like someone at say 38/39 then that unknown 2nd would be enough.
patman52
Lead Assistant
And1: 848

Post#15 » by patman52 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:02 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:

I like this idea, But I don't think boston or any other team close to the cap would rent Portis for a year for a first.
HartfordWhalers

Post#16 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun May 27, 2018 11:49 am

patman52 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

I like this idea, But I don't think boston or any other team close to the cap would rent Portis for a year for a first.

Next year Morris expires. I could see Portis filling that role depending on salary. But if not Boston, I think there is some team that sees more than one year of value.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#17 » by PhillyNj » Sun May 27, 2018 6:07 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:
BullyKing wrote:Philly needs cheap labor not a guy who will need to be paid in a year if he's any good.

This a weird way to look at trying to win now. This is basically a trade I have said for two months but I also had the Bulls taking Bayless back to help clear summer cap for the Sixers.

There's no way the Sixers are going to take four rookies (or three and a stash) on their roster next year in a win-nowish year. Portis is cheap, he's restricted, and he's a good replacement for what they need on the bench in terms of play at the 4/5 and even better than Ersan, he has "carry a bench unit for the first four of the 2nd/4th" type play.

Organization would still have 10+38 to add to five rotation players in year 3 or less of the league.

Lol like Portis is a win now move. He's a bordeline ration player.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Kurt Heimlich » Sun May 27, 2018 8:34 pm

PhillyNj wrote:
DanTown8587 wrote:

Lol like Portis is a win now move. He's a bordeline ration player.

Lol, these overreactions are always funny to read. Bobby Portis who compares very reasonably to Dario Saric (and Portis of course being 1 year younger). So are we calling Dario borderline rotational also?
patman52
Lead Assistant
And1: 848

Post#19 » by patman52 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:51 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
patman52 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

Next year Morris expires. I could see Portis filling that role depending on salary. But if not Boston, I think there is some team that sees more than one year of value.

well next year portis expires also, that is why I don't see a fit with boston. I can see Boston looking for a vet PF for less than the MLE the following year, if they don't get a big at the end of the first.
HartfordWhalers

Post#20 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun May 27, 2018 11:12 pm

patman52 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
patman52 wrote:

well next year portis expires also, that is why I don't see a fit with boston. I can see Boston looking for a vet PF for less than the MLE the following year, if they don't get a big at the end of the first.

Seems very obvious this is being glossed over, but he is restricted.

Return to Trades and Transactions