2018 Trade Board Mock Draft: Dallas (#5) selects Mo Bamba

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

What will Dallas do at #5

select Mo Bamba
52%
select Michael Porter
35%
select Trey Young
1%
select Wendell Carter
5%
select Collin Sexton
No votes
select Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
No votes
select someone else (tell us whom!)
No votes
trade down
1%
trade the pick for a veteran
4%
trade the pick to dump salary
1%

Total votes: 93

MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,785

Re: 2018 Trade Board Mock Draft: Dallas (#5) on the clock! (POLL) 

Post#21 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:02 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Someone sell me on Bamba not going top 5.

Defensive bigs with a limited game offensively shouldn’t go top 5. I’m not convinced Bamba ever becomes a go to scoring option therefore wouldn’t touch him in the top 5

This pushed me over the edge to vote for Bamba.

Elite players are elite players. Elite defense is an elite trait and expecting more than eliteness at 5 seems out of whack.

I would give up more than a pick 5 for Gobert, even including age and contract for instance.

Bamba also has developing jumper. M very high on him.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,211

Post#22 » by Homerclease » Sat May 26, 2018 8:06 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

Defensive bigs with a limited game offensively shouldn’t go top 5. I’m not convinced Bamba ever becomes a go to scoring option therefore wouldn’t touch him in the top 5

Bamba is better than Carter on both sides

Disagree
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#23 » by Homerclease » Sat May 26, 2018 8:07 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

Elite players are elite players. Elite defense is an elite trait and expecting more than eliteness at 5 seems out of whack.

I would give up more than a pick 5 for Gobert, even including age and contract for instance.

No way would I give up a top 5 pick for Gobert. He’s useless against elite nba teams in the postseason
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#24 » by Mr B » Sat May 26, 2018 8:11 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

There’s a very good chance that Bamba is the 2nd player picked in this draft.
ahartleyvu
Bench Warmer
And1: 56

Post#25 » by ahartleyvu » Sat May 26, 2018 11:06 pm

I don’t think there is any way Bamba with his defensive ability and measurements go beyond 5th pick. I think he is a top 3 pick.

Porter also had a major injury and had to sit out the whole year basically. I could see him dropping to 9-10 honestly. But definitely has the talent to be a star.
8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#26 » by 8on » Sat May 26, 2018 11:11 pm

I actually have Bamba going to Charlotte. How the heck does he stay on the floor?
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,380

Post#27 » by jayjaysee » Sat May 26, 2018 11:45 pm

dantley4prez wrote:I actually have Bamba going to Charlotte. How the heck does he stay on the floor?

?

He’s not an awful free throw shooter. He’s not 7’2+ where you’re forever scared of random injuries.. He’s got an insane wing span and put on like 10-15 pounds this last year. Pros will put on more.

I will be happy with either of Porter or Bamba, I’d rather Porter as we don’t have a core and should be going for the best ceiling available. If he can’t come back the same, we just stay at the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
8on
RealGM

Post#28 » by 8on » Sun May 27, 2018 12:00 am

He’s offensively raw....isn’t he?
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#29 » by pelifan » Sun May 27, 2018 12:06 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

Ill give it a shot here.

While they have a seemingly similar physical profile Bamba has a higher center gravity with longer, skinnier legs than Gobert who by comparison has a much sturdier base. This along with the normal learning curve for 20 y/o rookies trying to learn the ins and outs of NBA defense might have him still looking like a bust at the end of his rookie contract before figuring it out on that end later in his career ala Tyson Chandler (fellow skinny legged big), if he ever does at all. Will the Mavs exercise the amount of patience needed to wait for Bamba to become a meaningful contributor? will they take the risk of paying him big money based off of nothing but potential 4 years from now?

I think it's a little naive to think Bamba wil 'get it' on the defensive end as quickly as Gobert, who seems to mostly be an exception to the rule for bigs whose bodies arent fully developed.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,472

Post#30 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun May 27, 2018 12:25 am

pelifan wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Defensive bigs with a limited game offensively shouldn’t go top 5. I’m not convinced Bamba ever becomes a go to scoring option therefore wouldn’t touch him in the top 5

Ill give it a shot here.

While they have a seemingly similar physical profile Bamba has a higher center gravity with longer, skinnier legs than Gobert who by comparison has a much sturdier base. This along with the normal learning curve for 20 y/o rookies trying to learn the ins and outs of NBA defense might have him still looking like a bust at the end of his rookie contract before figuring it out on that end later in his career ala Tyson Chandler (fellow skinny legged big), if he ever does at all. Will the Mavs exercise the amount of patience needed to wait for Bamba to become a meaningful contributor? will they take the risk of paying him big money based off of nothing but potential 4 years from now?

I think it's a little naive to think Bamba wil 'get it' on the defensive end as quickly as Gobert, who seems to mostly be an exception to the rule for bigs whose bodies arent fully developed.

Oh, I don;t think anyone is thinking Gobert is a default prediction. That should be a best case scenario, or else someone is missing the value of Gobert. But thinking Gobert isn;t worth a top 5 pick is missing the value of Gobert, which was my point.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#31 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sun May 27, 2018 3:30 am

Homerclease wrote:No way would I give up a top 5 pick for Gobert. He’s useless against elite nba teams in the postseason

:roll:
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#32 » by Homerclease » Sun May 27, 2018 3:49 am

Cappy_Smurf wrote:
Homerclease wrote:No way would I give up a top 5 pick for Gobert. He’s useless against elite nba teams in the postseason

Roll your eyes all you want, your team has had their doors blown off in consecutive seasons by the warriors and rockets. Jazz will never proceed beyond the second round playing Gobert a fortune
8on
RealGM

Post#33 » by 8on » Sun May 27, 2018 4:13 am

Homerclease wrote:
Cappy_Smurf wrote:

Roll your eyes all you want, your team has had their doors blown off in consecutive seasons by the warriors and rockets. Jazz will never proceed beyond the second round playing Gobert a fortune

I’m with you. It’s not that he isn’t worth a top 5 pick, but he eats up too much salary for someone as offensively limited as he is. with all the perimeter talent that is going to be available in the future, unless I’m the Jazz, I would rather spend the assets on Brogdon, Booker, Mitchell, Kawhi, Klay, Dray, AD, Giannis, Doncic, Tatum, Brown, Simmons, Embiid, etc. If I can get Gobert with two other scorers, I do it. If not, I don’t believe he’s worth it. Jazz are stuck in the middle until they find another super potent scorer who won’t mess up their defense.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#34 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sun May 27, 2018 5:32 am

Homerclease wrote:
Cappy_Smurf wrote:

Utah blew out the warriors twice this year by 30 and 40 point margins.

They also had injuries during BOTH the series you mentioned. Last year the warriors steamrolled EVERYBODY in the playoffs, so I guess every single player on the teams who lost are worthless and not worth it. :roll:

It's really just a simplistic take from a casual fan who knows little about the game. Utah's problems are not with Gobert, but not enough talent around him. Utah had no business even being in the playoffs this year, let alone winning a first round series. Without Gobert, they were one of the worst teams in the league, and one of the best with him.

As for rolling my eyes as much as I want, it's really just an involuntary reaction to reading something stupid. My bad.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,692

Post#35 » by Domejandro » Sun May 27, 2018 5:57 am

Mr B wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Defensive bigs with a limited game offensively shouldn’t go top 5. I’m not convinced Bamba ever becomes a go to scoring option therefore wouldn’t touch him in the top 5

There’s a very good chance that Bamba is the 2nd player picked in this draft.

Doubt it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is picked third.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,289

Post#36 » by Kurt Heimlich » Sun May 27, 2018 6:00 am

Insane physical tools and everytime I hear him talk he impresses me more and more. Bamba is an easy choice here. Taking MPJ over him is a YOLO pick based on high school video.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#37 » by brackdan70 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:39 am

This is tough. I voted Bomba for highest upside but I think there is a low low side to him to. Could see Porter if Mavs feel good about his health. Could even see WCJ as a safer pick
Sign here
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 655

Post#38 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Sun May 27, 2018 12:40 pm

I think mavs go bamba. With Harrison barnes handling the three spot admirably I think Cuban swings for the fences with Bamba to anchor the mavs. I see the 1/5 spots solidified in Dallas for years to come. Cuban will look to add wings through free agency methinks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,472

Re: 2018 Trade Board Mock Draft: Dallas (#5) selects Mo Bamba 

Post#39 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun May 27, 2018 1:10 pm

Spens1 wrote:JJJ it is

I can also confidently say MPJ at 5 as well and Trae Young at 6 after this with Bamba at 7.

The real fun will resume at 8 i'd assume.

Turns out Bamba won 5, on to 6.
Lovetron Joe
Rookie
And1: 482

Re: 2018 Trade Board Mock Draft: Dallas (#5) selects Mo Bamba 

Post#40 » by Lovetron Joe » Sun May 27, 2018 2:32 pm

Porter. Bamba is a rich mans Nerlens Noel.

Return to Trades and Transactions