ATL/MKE/NYK/MEM: Shifting some contracts

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who says no?

ATL
21%
MKE
36%
NYK
43%
MEM
No votes
None
No votes

Total votes: 14

LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

ATL/MKE/NYK/MEM: Shifting some contracts 

Post#1 » by LuessiT » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:56 pm

After letting Jabari go to the Bulls, Milwaukee is roughly 7.7m under the luxury tax right now and 11m in November once Telly is medically cleared. The Bucks aren't going to be a factor in the loaded 2019 FA class with most of their poor contracts expiring in 2020. That means the Bucks are in a situation where they can take on overpaid but useful players for assets (as long as they expire in two years).
The Bucks also can't pay both of Bledsoe and Brogdon so one has to go next year.

ATL out: Bazemore, Dedmond
ATL in: Noah, Wilson, Brooks, 2 2nds (via MKE and MEM)

Why for ATL? They get a look at two young players and some minor assets without changing their long term cap outlook.

MKE out: Bledsoe, Henson, Snell, Wilson, MKE 2021 2nd
MKE in: Parsons, Bazemore, Ntilikina

Why for MKE? Milwaukee clears out their rotation, improve their SG position (albeit to a much higher price), clear some salary that goes beyond 2020 (potentially Snell), get a high upside piece in Ntilikina and make an early decision in whom to pay regarding Bledsoe and Brogdon.

NYK out: Noah, Ntilikina
NYK in: Bledsoe, Dedmond

Why for NYK? New York moves Noah's albatross contract. If they can extend Bledsoe to a reasonable price (~15m per year) they still have enough cap space cleared for a max contract slot before a potential Porzingis max kicks in. Dedmond fits nicely as a stop gap C backup.

MEM out: Parsons, Brooks, MEM 2022 2nd
MEM in: Henson, Snell

Why for Memphis? Memphis gets out of the Parsons contract and boost their bench for a very moderate price. Memphis' bench needs pretty much anything but this is a start.

Edit: Changed some parts regarding Atlanta, Milwaukee and Memphis.
Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,174

Re: ATL/MKE/NYK/MEM: Shifting some contracts 

Post#2 » by Blockwatcher » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:01 pm

NY likes Ntilikina too much to use him as a Noah sacrifice
1 John 2 : 15-17
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,936

Post#3 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Atlanta probably says no due to lack of compensation. Milwaukee's part is whatever. I think they say no too but wouldn't be shocked if they said yes. The Knicks say yes, and Memphis is getting too good of a deal imo.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,755

Post#4 » by cgf » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:09 pm

Blockwatcher wrote:NY likes Ntilikina too much to use him as a Noah sacrifice

Especially when Perry doesn't need to move Noah for expirings to open up a max slot. He just needs to move Lee for expirings or to stretch Noah next summer to make that happen. Plus keeping Bledsoe at 15M wouldn't be possible unless we traded Lee as well to open up that max slot.

If we do move Lee though, I'd be interested in something like Noah's 2020-expiring for Snell, Ilyasova & a pick.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#5 » by LuessiT » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:33 pm

cgf wrote:

Especially when Perry doesn't need to move Noah for expirings to open up a max slot. He just needs to move Lee for expirings or to stretch Noah next summer to make that happen. Plus keeping Bledsoe at 15M wouldn't be possible unless we traded Lee as well to open up that max slot.

If we do move Lee though, I'd be interested in something like Noah's 2020-expiring for Snell, Ilyasova & a pick.

I'm not 100% sure right now but I think I did the math with the Bledsoe contract. Keep in mind you wouldn't have to pay Ntilikina's rookie deal anymore.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#6 » by pacers33granger » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:37 pm

If Memphis could move Parsons, 2 2nds, and take on an extra year at half Parsons' price for two semi-useful players making less money it would have been done a long time ago.
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#7 » by LuessiT » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:42 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:Atlanta probably says no due to lack of compensation. Milwaukee's part is whatever. I think they say no too but wouldn't be shocked if they said yes. The Knicks say yes, and Memphis is getting too good of a deal imo.

Yeah I'm struggling with the right amount of value to send from Memphis. Their first is tied up with Boston and there isn't really that much they can send other than maybe Brooks.
cgf
RealGM

Post#8 » by cgf » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:48 pm

LuessiT wrote:
cgf wrote:

I'm not 100% sure right now but I think I did the math with the Bledsoe contract. Keep in mind you wouldn't have to pay Ntilikina's rookie deal anymore.

The numbers with Kyrie get tight if Lee’s 12M is moving out and we don’t renounce/cut all of the cheap cap hold guys that might be worth keeping around for depth if they earn spots this year (Burke, Trier, Dotson, Kornet). The absolute max we could possible create by moving Lee’s contract & waiving/renouncing everyone except Porzi & the Fizkids...but not stretching Noah...is around ~38M, of which 32M would go to Kyrie. Now in your scenario, the 12M created by moving Lee is replaced by Noah’s outgoing 19m + Frank’s 5M, which creates 12M more for us to spend than in my preferred scenario...leaving us with total cap space around 50M (minus 32M for Kyrie).

So yeah, you’re right. I totally forgot about Frank’s salary, cause I can’t imagine the team trading him to open up the 1 max slot that we could open up without losing him. Since our choice would essentially be having Bledsoe + Lee while renouncing all the bench fodder; versus having Frank + whatever we do with Noah’s expiring + whoever develops enough to keep from the cheap cap hold guys. And in that situation, I'm keeping Frank & his elite D to start between Irving & Knox. Even if none of those 4 cheap dudes develop enough to stick around, we end up just waiving Joakim's last year & Frank's offense doesn't evolve any further than where it currently is...even though I think learning from Kyrie would be huge for his game...

EDIT:
Now if we can't get Kyrie without also signing one of his buddies & Kemba really has no interest in NYC next summer...and we have a Lee for cap space deal also ready...then this could be our best shot at getting close to two max slots without giving away Frank/Knox + multiple 1sts to dump THJr or to make a S&T work for the second max FA...but I'm not in the 2 max cat or death camp this time around. Unlike 2010 we have a young core starting to come together around a homegrown allstar that can be a selling point for us. So I think we should open up one max slot to gun for that allstar PG (Kyrie or Kemba) that KP & the Fizkids will need to start making noise in the east with a year under their belts...but we shouldn't break that young core up to get a 2nd max FA slot unless we are certain that doing so will guarantee us Kyrie + Kawhi/Durant/Butler joining Porzingis, Knox, our 2019 1st, THJr & Robinson.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
cgf
RealGM

Post#9 » by cgf » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:48 pm

:-/ Just played around with the Capulator and even with no Noah, Ntilikina or Lee on the books next summer, the most I can get to is just shy of 60M in cap room...and that took renouncing literally everyone & everything I could (including our 2019 1st) so that we'd have only THJr's multi-year monstrosity, Porzi's cap-hold, and the guaranteed money due to Knox, Robinson (whose contract isn't on the capulator yet, but he's owed ~1.5M guaranteed for next year as well) & Lance Thomas (who is owed 1M even if waived)...

dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,489

Post#10 » by dms269 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:09 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:Atlanta probably says no due to lack of compensation.

I agree. Noah and Bazemore are both bad contracts, the difference is Baze can still play decently.

Atlanta already has Collins and now Spellman, and adding Maker (I'm not a fan of) and Wilson is creating a logjam.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,531

Post#11 » by HornetJail » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:44 pm

I don't think anybody but Memphis does this
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#12 » by VCfor3 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:22 pm

BizGilwalker wrote:I don't think anybody but Memphis does this

I think Memphis would pass on the new changes. Brooks is one of the young guys they are hoping is part of the future. The 2022 draft is looking to be loaded with two classes worth of players as the age limit drops so that 2nd could be very valuable. I think Memphis would just ride out Parsons and hope he occasionally plays quality minutes off the bench as opposed to adding Henson and Snell.

Return to Trades and Transactions