Whiteside for Schroder & Dedmon

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Whiteside for Schroder & Dedmon 

Post#1 » by Bentley1225 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:36 pm

Ill offer this idea for Hawks to move on from Schroder and Heat to enhance depth.

To Atlanta
-Hassan Whiteside (2 year, $52.7 million)

To Miami
-Dennis Schroder (3 years, $46.5 million)
-Dewayne Dedmon (1 year, $6.3 million)

Why?
-Atlanta swaps out starting bigmen while they move on from Schroder. Whiteside expires when Bazemore and Plumee do in 2020 to give them greater cap flexibility at that time.

Young/Lin/FA
Bazemore/Huerter/Dorsey
Prince/Bembry/FA
Collins/Muscala/FA
Whiteside/Plumlee/Spellman

-The Heat add Schroder aho can play with Dragic at the 2 and Dedmon gives them another 5 behind Adebayo

Schroder/Johnson/
Dragic/Waiters/Ellington/McGruder
Winslow/Richardson/Jones
Johnson/Olynyk/FA
Adebayo/Dedmon/FA
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Re: Whiteside for Schroder & Dedmon 

Post#2 » by kg01 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:55 pm

Heh. I wouldn't do it if I were the Heat. For the Hawk ... shiiii, why not.
king01 :king:
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#3 » by gom » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:14 pm

There are several problems here:

(1) Both Schroder and Dragic are both point guards. We already have plenty of players in our backcourt and not a lot of minutes.
(2) Schroder's salary the third year (2020-2021) cripples our plans for free agency investment.
(3) Schroder's defense might make him unplayable for Spoelstra.

That being said, I am tempted by the offer because Dedmon is included. I think the Heat staff could get him into excellent condition.

I'd counter offer Tyler Johnson for Dennis Schröder straight up. That will help us with the congestion in the backcourt. Atlanta will get out of a year of paying Schroder.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#4 » by kg01 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:10 pm

gom wrote:There are several problems here:

(1) Both Schroder and Dragic are both point guards. We already have plenty of players in our backcourt and not a lot of minutes.
(2) Schroder's salary the third year (2020-2021) cripples our plans for free agency investment.

That being said, I am tempted by the offer because Dedmon is included. I think the Heat staff could get him into excellent condition.

I'd counter offer Tyler Johnson for Dennis Schröder straight up. That will help us with the congestion in the backcourt. Atlanta will get out of a year of paying Schroder.

What's Tyler got left? About 19 this year and next?

I'd probably do that too. He's overpaid but a hard-worker, could contribute to establishing a good culture.
king01 :king:
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#5 » by gom » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:57 pm

kg01 wrote:
gom wrote:There are several problems here:

What's Tyler got left? About 19 this year and next?

I'd probably do that too. He's overpaid but a hard-worker, could contribute to establishing a good culture.

Tyler is a great teammate on a bad contract. He has $19,245,370 this season and next. He is a combo guard and a good defender but a somewhat streaky shooter.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,229

Post#6 » by BBallFreak » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:42 pm

I'm with gom on this one. The OP just doesn't work for us, and mainly because of the cap situation. We want our space...
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#7 » by Vae Victus » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:50 pm

OP deal is a big win for ATL.

Whiteside has his issues, but at least its just or 2 years. It's worth rolling the dice to see if he can get back to his peak play, if not, then he expires in 2020 and the team can rebuild. However MIA i dont see doing it unless they trade Dragic first somewhere for something decent, cuz carrying 2 high paid PGs is dumb.

Shroeder for Tyler Johnson is interesting

If i'm ATL I'd still say yes. TJ is a combo guard who also gives insurance on the off chance that both Baze opts out (unlikely) or Huerter busts or is simply not ready for a year or 2 to be a meaningful contributer (likely). Sure he's paid more but his contract ends in 2 years and eats an extra 4 mil in cap compared to Shroeder in 2019. However it clears up the glut at PG a bit as he's more of a SG, but can play backup PG in a pinch in event that Lin is a no go.

MIA well, im again not sure why'd they do it, but the better question is if they ask for a SRP pick, is it still worthwhile for ATL.

Return to Trades and Transactions