Woj: Temple to MEM

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who won the trade?

Memphis
39%
Sacramento
28%
Both
33%
Neither
No votes

Total votes: 18

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,534

Re: Woj: Temple to MEM 

Post#61 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:23 pm

FNQ wrote:
Baller1234a wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
I don't think Temple is necessarily winning anyone any games but I think the logic is let's say Temple adds 4 points (either through offense or defense) to a team over a replacement value player. If the Grizz are competitive, that 4 point swing might mean the difference between a win and a loss. On Sacramento, it means the difference between losing by 16 points vs. losing by 12 points.

Let’s say you added 4 points to every Suns game. (the worst team in the league last year)

They would have beat the Spurs December 9
Would’ve tied Milwaukee Jan 22
Would’ve beat Portland Feb 24
Would’ve Beat Atlanta March 4
Would’ve beat Houston March 30

That’s 5 games.

Suns would’ve won 26 games and been the 6th worse team in the league instead of the 1st. And if the draft lottery played out the same they would’ve had the 7th pick (Bulls). Difference between WCJ and Ayton.

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/schedule/_/name/PHX/phoenix-suns

To be fair, 4 points is a huge, huge overestimation on someone like Temple. It's arguable that he's not even moving the needle in a positive way.

I usually dismiss such viewpoints, but I gotta call it out: It's weird how much Temple's improved at basketball in the last 24 hours.

He's certainly not worth 4 points. 4 points is the difference between a 50 W team and a 40 W team in point differential.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#62 » by kalenclayton » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:31 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
Andre Roberstan wrote:This is a freaking heist for Memphis.

Temple isn’t good

Are you serious? Temple is a solid 3&D player. I don’t know what you are watching.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#63 » by Ruzious » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:55 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Temple isn’t good

Are you serious? Temple is a solid 3&D player. I don’t know what you are watching.

It's certainly not a heist for either team. Temple belongs in the NBA, has a great attitude, but he's a 4th or 5th guard on a good team. I thought it was a little too soon to give up on the 21 year old Davis. I'd give a very small edge to Sacramento.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#64 » by reload141 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:56 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
JamesConway wrote:Boston won this trade.

I think Boston was hoping that Memphis would end up giving up a high lotto pick in a couple years when its unprotected. It seems almost assured now that they will get it this year as a late lotto pick, which is still good, but not as valuable as it could have been.

Yeah, the West is going to be tough to make the playoffs in.... I mean all it takes is a few injuries and Gasol & Conley aren't getting any younger...

I loved Memphis' moves this summer though and think you're right the pick will convey for around the 10-14th pick in the draft.

Just an FYI for people wondering what the protections are:

2019 first round draft pick from Memphis
Memphis' 1st round pick to Boston protected for selections 1-8 in 2019 and 1-6 in 2020 and unprotected in 2021
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#65 » by becorz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:06 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Temple isn’t good

I love Temple. I wish they kept him around.

He is not that solid. He is not a NBA starter, but can be useful as a fourth guard off the bench.

His defensive rating last year was 108.5. I get that the rating is influenced by your teammates, but that is Jose Calderon, Will Barton, and Rodney Hood territory. It was even higher last year. in 2015 with Washington it was 101, right there with Pablo Prigioni and Beno Udrih. I think that he is better as an on ball defender than that suggests, but lets not pretend he is Luc Mbah a Moute or Draymond Green.

He has been solid as a three point shooter on the Kings, but he can be streaky. But he does have a good BBIQ for a wing player. Can even run the point for a few minutes at a time.

I think Temple is a solid fourth guard playing 15 minutes a game. Any more than that, then your team isn't going to be very good.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#66 » by BoogieTime » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:11 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Temple isn’t good

No he isn’t, and the stats back that up

You can say that at this point he’s a negative player, but I’ll just say not a difference maker either way
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#67 » by FNQ » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:46 pm

becorz wrote:I think Temple is a solid fourth guard playing 15 minutes a game. Any more than that, then your team isn't going to be very good.

I can get behind this.

And I also get behind him being the best player in the deal, because I do think he is.

But I think Davis has potential and McLemore is the type who can turn his career from complete bust into capable role player with a focus on volume 3pt shooting. I think Sacramento gets the better value here by a wide margin, in that they saved money, they got a future consideration in a SRP, and they got a guy in Davis who might fare better in a less old-school system.

Its not the world-beating trade Divac needs, but its a deal where I think the Kings come out on top value wise. Ultimately could be a win-win if the Grizzlies really want to try and sneak into the playoffs, but I dont know why they would.
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#68 » by becorz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:57 pm

FNQ wrote:
becorz wrote:I think Temple is a solid fourth guard playing 15 minutes a game. Any more than that, then your team isn't going to be very good.

I can get behind this.

And I also get behind him being the best player in the deal, because I do think he is.

But I think Davis has potential and McLemore is the type who can turn his career from complete bust into capable role player with a focus on volume 3pt shooting. I think Sacramento gets the better value here by a wide margin, in that they saved money, they got a future consideration in a SRP, and they got a guy in Davis who might fare better in a less old-school system.

Its not the world-beating trade Divac needs, but its a deal where I think the Kings come out on top value wise. Ultimately could be a win-win if the Grizzlies really want to try and sneak into the playoffs, but I dont know why they would.

I do think it is a win-win type of trade. As a Kings fan, I couldn't be more out on Ben McLemore. But in the past, the FO has been clear that they think he is a hard worker and they only have had nice things to say about him. So, maybe he is something? I don't see him getting much play here though....the Kings know he isn't the SF we are looking for. I like the potential of Davis too, but he is going to be sitting on the bench behind all the bigs.

At the end of the day, the Kings got a second round pick, some cash, and some contracts for Temple, in my book. Not a bad return for a role player who's value, really, is as a veteran leader. So, I am OK with it.

From Memphis' side, I get it too, if you are trying to compete. But I think that trading a pick (even a second rounder) that far out is dangerous.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by FNQ » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:07 pm

becorz wrote:
FNQ wrote:

I can get behind this.

I do think it is a win-win type of trade. As a Kings fan, I couldn't be more out on Ben McLemore. But in the past, the FO has been clear that they think he is a hard worker and they only have had nice things to say about him. So, maybe he is something? I don't see him getting much play here though....the Kings know he isn't the SF we are looking for. I like the potential of Davis too, but he is going to be sitting on the bench behind all the bigs.

At the end of the day, the Kings got a second round pick, some cash, and some contracts for Temple, in my book. Not a bad return for a role player who's value, really, is as a veteran leader. So, I am OK with it.

From Memphis' side, I get it too, if you are trying to compete. But I think that trading a pick (even a second rounder) that far out is dangerous.

I dunno that trading any SRP can ever be considered dangerous :D

But I get it, why do it? What is MEM trying to accomplish in 2019, and why spend any future assets to consolidate in 2019? They just landed the #4 pick and drafted a guy who's more of a long-term project than impact guy now. Even if healthy, how far does Conley-Parsons-Gasol take you?

I'd be frustrated about what the trade means as a MEM fan more than frustrated with what was given up. A month ago they were willing to move out of #4 if they could move Parsons.. pick a lane and stay in it, Wallace.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,821

Post#70 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:49 pm

I pretty much like this for both. Temple has that blue collar Memphis vibe about him and whether they should or not its clear they are trying to be a good team right now. Kings probably don't get much out of the players they get back as they have other young players at those positions with higher upsides, but hey competition is always good and they pull a future pick back as well.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#71 » by Andre Roberstan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:31 am

Ruzious wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Temple isn’t good

It's certainly not a heist for either team. Temple belongs in the NBA, has a great attitude, but he's a 4th or 5th guard on a good team. I thought it was a little too soon to give up on the 21 year old Davis. I'd give a very small edge to Sacramento.

I'm very, very down on the players SAC got back, so that's probably influencing me. Also the depth of the Grizz was putrid, and Temple helps.
kb02
Bench Warmer
And1: 631

Post#72 » by kb02 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:39 am

Andre Roberstan wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:Are you serious? Temple is a solid 3&D player. I don’t know what you are watching.

I'm very, very down on the players SAC got back, so that's probably influencing me. Also the depth of the Grizz was putrid, and Temple helps.

You're off in your analysis.

Temple = $8M
Benny Mac = $5.4M
Davis = $1.5M

Kings get $1.5M
Kings get 2nd Rounder.

Rumor is they'll try to move both Ben & Davis or they'll cut both.

When the dust settles, the Kings basically trade Temple for $2.6M + a 2nd Rounder.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,552

Post#73 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:06 am

Now with a poll. Vote away!
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#74 » by City of Trees » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:28 am

Voted both.

I see nothing but positives if McLemore and Davis get waived.

If the Kings keep Davis/Mclemore I dont know what that means. Why keep them? But it still feels like a good deal.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by FNQ » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:35 am

Why would Davis get waived? He's a lotto ticket. Declared too early, too raw. Is an athletic, rim-protecting big. He belongs on a rebuilding roster, and there's always a chance Giles gets hurt or WCS/Koufus/ZBo gets dealt. McLemore I'd get cutting, but not Davis. Exactly the type the Kings should try out.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: RE: Re: Woj: Temple to MEM 

Post#76 » by City of Trees » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:45 am

FNQ wrote:Why would Davis get waived? He's a lotto ticket. Declared too early, too raw. Is an athletic, rim-protecting big. He belongs on a rebuilding roster, and there's always a chance Giles gets hurt or WCS/Koufus/ZBo gets dealt. McLemore I'd get cutting, but not Davis. Exactly the type the Kings should try out.
Im not against taking a flier on Davis especially if a big is on his way out.

But if he's waived i wont lose sleep.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#77 » by Andre Roberstan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:25 am

kb02 wrote:
Andre Roberstan wrote:
Ruzious wrote:It's certainly not a heist for either team. Temple belongs in the NBA, has a great attitude, but he's a 4th or 5th guard on a good team. I thought it was a little too soon to give up on the 21 year old Davis. I'd give a very small edge to Sacramento.

Temple = $8M
Benny Mac = $5.4M
Davis = $1.5M

Kings get $1.5M
Kings get 2nd Rounder.

When the dust settles, the Kings basically trade Temple for $2.6M + a 2nd Rounder.

$1.5mil and a 2nd rounder is a fart in the wind. I'm still not a fan.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,552

Post#78 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:
kb02 wrote:
Andre Roberstan wrote:

Temple = $8M
Benny Mac = $5.4M
Davis = $1.5M

Kings get $1.5M
Kings get 2nd Rounder.

It is 2 farts.

I didn’t have Temple worth 3 farts, and I wouldn’t sign him next year for Sac would you?

I see Sac cashing out above Temples value in a move that fits their direction perfectly. Even if you had Temple as worth this, it is the right move for Sac.

For Memphis, I’m not sure of Temple actually helps enough to justify the deal but am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and vote both. Cause obviously mclemore was horrific last year.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#79 » by Andre Roberstan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:04 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Andre Roberstan wrote:
kb02 wrote:

Temple = $8M
Benny Mac = $5.4M
Davis = $1.5M

Kings get $1.5M
Kings get 2nd Rounder.

It is 2 farts.

I didn’t have Temple worth 3 farts, and I wouldn’t sign him next year for Sac would you?

I see Sac cashing out above Temples value in a move that fits their direction perfectly. Even if you had Temple as worth this, it is the right move for Sac.

For Memphis, I’m not sure of Temple actually helps enough to justify the deal but am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and vote both. Cause obviously mclemore was horrific last year.

I would have gone a different direction, personally—agree that they needed to move on, but not sure that this trade was the right one.
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,711

Post#80 » by Sactowndog » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:36 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Andre Roberstan wrote:
kb02 wrote:

Temple = $8M
Benny Mac = $5.4M
Davis = $1.5M

Kings get $1.5M
Kings get 2nd Rounder.

It is 2 farts.

I think the issue for some is what is Vlade doing. Temple was one of the few players who shot the 3 at a decent rate and could play defense on the wing. Not to mention he could be used to fill in as back-up point. So we lose help in the two areas we need it and gain depth in the two areas we already have a log jam :noway:

Return to Trades and Transactions