Jimmy Butler request trade per Shams (Containment thread) Poll Added

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Where Does Butler End Up in 2018/19?

Clippers
9%
Nets
4%
Knicks
No votes
Bucks
6%
Heat
31%
Sixers
9%
Blazers
7%
Rockets
11%
Pistons
3%
Other
20%

Total votes: 161

gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Re: Jimmy Butler request trade per Shams (Containment thread) Poll Added 

Post#1121 » by gom » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:20 pm

I'm so glad this deal between MIA-MIN didn't go down. Butler being available is a year too soon for the Heat and a year too late for Butler (if he wants a 5-year max deal from the Heat). Next season is much better for us when TJ, Dragic, and Whiteside are all expiring contracts. If we play our cards right, we will add two young players via FRP before we get into free agency in 7/20. Patience is the key.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
Streakers33
Sixth Man
And1: 202

Post#1122 » by Streakers33 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:59 am

So now we trade gorgi and our pick to the Kings.. take back the absolute min in salary.. and sign butler for a max that pays more than Wiggins and towns and he then gets what he wants and we have a pissed off wolves team for next week . Drama over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,229

Post#1123 » by BBallFreak » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:54 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

This is Thibs first time running a front office too. Are we sure he’s operating with malice throughout this whole thing instead of just incompetence? Maybe he thought that getting medicals was just another step in the decision making and negotiating process instead of kind of a final check? Real Hanlon’s Razor kind of thing, methinks.

Does that make it better? Seriously that just seems worse to me.

Are you generally more forgiving of accidents and well intentioned people, or cold blooded people who plan evil against you? :dontknow:
I'm not forgiving of incompetence.

Sent from my KFSUWI using RealGM mobile app
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,967

Post#1124 » by Domejandro » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:57 am

Streakers33 wrote:So now we trade gorgi and our pick to the Kings.. take back the absolute min in salary.. and sign butler for a max that pays more than Wiggins and towns and he then gets what he wants and we have a pissed off wolves team for next week . Drama over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minnesota would have to shed fifty-five million dollars to give him the extension he has complained about.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,639

Post#1125 » by shrink » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:30 am

BBallFreak wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:Does that make it better? Seriously that just seems worse to me.

Are you generally more forgiving of accidents and well intentioned people, or cold blooded people who plan evil against you? :dontknow:
I'm not forgiving of incompetence.]

Normally when teams exchange medicals and a GM asks for more, it’s because something came up in a player’s medical record.

Waiters is coming off an injury, and he has the weight problem.

Has anyone considered that there is info in Waiters medical record that would have further reduced his value? Why was this instantly spun that Thibs is incompetent, with no consideration for what might be in the medical records?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1126 » by BBallFreak » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:33 am

shrink wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I'm not forgiving of incompetence.]

Normally when teams exchange medicals and a GM asks for more, it’s because something came up in a player’s medical record.

Waiters is coming off an injury, and he has the weight problem.

Has anyone considered that there is info in Waiters medical record that would have further reduced his value?

Not buying it. He was always the filler. This isn't Isiah Thomas, it's Timofey Mozgov.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1127 » by shrink » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:39 am

“Filler” is like an expiring, and doesn’t stick you for three years, and $36 mil.

We are good at thinking about positive players, but tend to write off negative ones as “filler.” Let’s consider them together.

Do you think that the package of Richardson and Waiters is worth very much?

2018-19. $20.9 mil
2019-20. $22.2 mil
2020-21. $23.5 mil
——————————-
2018-21. $66.6 mil

Josh would start, and Thibs would play him a lot. However, Waiters isn’t going to get much time off a Thibs bench, especially since the players in front of him are Josh, Okogi (MIN’s 1st rounder), and he has said he wants to play Derrick Rose some at the 2. Wiggins primary position is the 2 as well, though he’d mainly be a 3. Waiters looks like a completely negative deal, so is Josh worth more than $22 a year at this point, in an open market?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1128 » by BBallFreak » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:51 am

shrink wrote:“Filler” is like an expiring, and doesn’t stick you for three years, and $36 mil.

We are good at thinking about positive players, but tend to write off negative ones as “filler.” Let’s consider them together.

2018-19. $20.9 mil
2019-20. $22.2 mil
2020-21. $23.5 mil
——————————-
2018-21. $66.6 mil

Josh would start, and Thibs would play him a lot. However, Waiters isn’t going to get much time off a Thibs bench, especially since the players in front of him are Josh, Okogi (MIN’s 1st rounder), and he has said he wants to play Derrick Rose some at the 2. Wiggins primary position is the 2 as well, though he’d mainly be a 3. Waiters looks like a completely negative deal, so is Josh worth more than $22 a year at this point, in an open market?
Butler's value aside (which imo is barely positive at this point), the Wolves would not have been doing that deal for Waiters, but rather for Richardson and the first. Agreed?

Waiters would have been the styrofoam peanuts surrounding the good stuff, correct?

Like it or not, that makes him filler.

shrink
RealGM

Post#1129 » by shrink » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:56 am

BBallFreak wrote:
shrink wrote:“Filler” is like an expiring, and doesn’t stick you for three years, and $36 mil.

2018-19. $20.9 mil
2019-20. $22.2 mil
2020-21. $23.5 mil
——————————-
2018-21. $66.6 mil

Butler's value aside (which imo is barely positive at this point), the Wolves would not have been doing that deal for Waiters, but rather for Richardson and the first. Agreed?

Waiters would have been the styrofoam peanuts surrounding the good stuff, correct?

But if the price includes paying $36 million for packing peanuts, the package with the good stuff might not be worth it.

It doesn’t matter if you label him filler, he still costs money.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1130 » by BBallFreak » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:58 am

shrink wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:

2018-19. $20.9 mil
2019-20. $22.2 mil
2020-21. $23.5 mil
——————————-
2018-21. $66.6 mil

But the price includes paying $33 million for packing peanuts, the good stuff might not be worth it.

That should have been considered before it got so far along in the process. It's not like the price of the peanuts changed. We all knew what they cost from day one.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,827

Post#1131 » by psman2 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:00 am

BBallFreak wrote:

2018-19. $20.9 mil
2019-20. $22.2 mil
2020-21. $23.5 mil
——————————-
2018-21. $66.6 mil

Waiters is more akin to getting a expensive TV and having to keep the giant box in the attic in case you have to send it back during the 3 year warranty. The box (Waiters) is just taking up space and more than likely never gets used again.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1132 » by BBallFreak » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:04 am

psman2 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:

2018-19. $20.9 mil
2019-20. $22.2 mil
2020-21. $23.5 mil
——————————-
2018-21. $66.6 mil

Waiters is more akin to getting a expensive TV and having to keep the giant box in the attic in case you have to send it back during the 3 year warranty. The box (Waiters) is just taking up space and more than likely never gets used again.
Right. You're not doing the trade for the box, you're doing it for the TV. If the box has a few scuffs on it, do you return the TV or just ignore the damn box?

psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,827

Post#1133 » by psman2 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:53 am

BBallFreak wrote:
psman2 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:Butler's value aside (which imo is barely positive at this point), the Wolves would not have been doing that deal for Waiters, but rather for Richardson and the first. Agreed?

Right. You're not doing the trade for the box, you're doing it for the TV. If the box has a few scuffs on it, do you return the TV or just ignore the damn box?

Return to sender, don't accept the package delivery....which is what Minny did.
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,882

Post#1134 » by LarsV8 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:57 am

Rockets offer
Gordon, Nene, Knight, 2019 #1 and 2019 #2

for Butler, DIeng.

Couple picks, nice cost controlled shooting guard and center, and shave a year off Diengs contract.

Minny could do worse.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#1135 » by BoogieTime » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:05 am

I must be losing my mind but wasn’t there a story about Jimmy turning down a max extension already on the wiretap earlier this offseason
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1136 » by BBallFreak » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:53 am

psman2 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
psman2 wrote:

But in this case, you saw the box. You knew the box looked like crap. You took it to the register, handed over the credit card, and went through the process of swiping it, then changed your mind when it came time to sign. Get the difference? It wasn't new information. They knew what kind of player Waiters was and still got to the register and handed over that credit card. He was filler and they didn't care until the last minute...
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#1137 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:27 am

BoogieTime wrote:I must be losing my mind but wasn’t there a story about Jimmy turning down a max extension already on the wiretap earlier this offseason

No. He turned down the highest extension offer that Minnesota (or any team that employs him) could extend him in this summer, which was something like $80 m lower than what he could get if he waited for his contract to expire and sign a new one completely because of limits ok raises and the massive jumps the cba has made since he signed his last deal.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,598

Post#1138 » by NYG » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Have enough details been pieced together as to what Minnesota’s final request was to Miami?
shrink
RealGM

Post#1139 » by shrink » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:05 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
psman2 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:Right. You're not doing the trade for the box, you're doing it for the TV. If the box has a few scuffs on it, do you return the TV or just ignore the damn box?

But in this case, you saw the box. You knew the box looked like crap. You took it to the register, handed over the credit card, and went through the process of swiping it, then changed your mind when it came time to sign. Get the difference? It wasn't new information. They knew what kind of player Waiters was and still got to the register and handed over that credit card. He was filler and they didn't care until the last minute...

Waiters medical report could contain new information. He has not played any pre-season, and likely won’t even be ready for the start of the season.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1140 » by shrink » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:05 pm

NYG wrote:Have enough details been pieced together as to what Minnesota’s final request was to Miami?

It was reported that MIN wanted a second pick

Return to Trades and Transactions