Miami-Detroit

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

ThaFranchize84
Junior
And1: 156

Miami-Detroit 

Post#1 » by ThaFranchize84 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:38 pm

For arguments sake let’s say Miami does indeed get Butler for some sort of package of Richardson and Waiters and no future pick.

Could Miami then turn around and trade James and Tyler Johnson to Detroit along with the 2019 FRP for B. Griffin? It would allow Detroit to free up a ton of future money and still have productivity next to Drummond.

This would give Miami a big two with great role players. Spolestra could work wonders with Griffin’s versatility provided he stays healthy.

Whiteside
Griffin
Winslow
Butler
Dragic

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,200

Re: Miami-Detroit 

Post#2 » by BBallFreak » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:41 pm

First, no way Miami gets Butler without their pick inclusion. Second, that is a terrible value for Detroit. I would imagine they could trick a team into giving up expiring deals and a first just based on Griffin's name.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Post#3 » by A_dub06 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:24 pm

BBallFreak wrote:First, no way Miami gets Butler without their pick inclusion. Second, that is a terrible value for Detroit. I would imagine they could trick a team into giving up expiring deals and a first just based on Griffin's name.

As a Pistons fan I would take it as long as the first round pick was unprotected. Even without it I would probably still heavily consider because I think there’s just too much of an overlap between Griffin and Drummond.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,200

Post#4 » by BBallFreak » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:52 pm

A_dub06 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:First, no way Miami gets Butler without their pick inclusion. Second, that is a terrible value for Detroit. I would imagine they could trick a team into giving up expiring deals and a first just based on Griffin's name.

As a Pistons fan I would take it as long as the first round pick was unprotected. Even without it I would probably still heavily consider because I think there’s just too much of an overlap between Griffin and Drummond.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

You would take the OP? Griffin for JJ, Tyler Johnson, and this year's first? That just seems like awful value to me. You'd love both players, don't get me wrong, but you should be able to do better IMO.
ThaFranchize84
Junior
And1: 156

Post#5 » by ThaFranchize84 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:29 pm

Another option could be replacing James Johnson with Kelly Olynk. Make it Kelly and TJ and the 2019 FRP for Griffin.

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#6 » by MotownMadness » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:24 pm

ThaFranchize84 wrote:Another option could be replacing James Johnson with Kelly Olynk. Make it Kelly and TJ and the 2019 FRP for Griffin.

No way our ownership turns around and trades him that quick after just giving up way more value then that. They wanted the big name and will still go that route over paying Olynyk and Johnson instead. Plus I think he’s a AllStar this year if he can stay healthy, he’s still very good.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#7 » by Moses ShamMoses » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:34 pm

The problem for me, from a Detroit perspective, is the pick would be projected to a mid to late first rounder. That just isn't great value.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#8 » by rmfc » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:33 pm

Terrible for the Pistons. Easy no.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#9 » by Moses ShamMoses » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:48 pm

As Motown said, it comes down to Detroit wanting to make a push for the playoffs this year. If Detroit was rebuilding they may accept a 1st rounder and some up-and-comers for Blake, but not now.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'

Return to Trades and Transactions