MSP - PDX - PHL - PHX

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

MSP - PDX - PHL - PHX 

Post#1 » by Village Idiot » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:42 pm

Minnesota trades:

Jimmy Butler
Tyus Jones

Minnesota receives:

Robert Covington
Josh Jackson
Myers Leonard

Minnesota gets a couple of great perimeter defenders to replace Butler's contributions. They are also both locked up long-term.

Portland trades:

CJ McCollum
Al-Farouq Aminu
Myers Leonard

Portland receives:

Jimmy Butler
Tyson Chandler

Portland does this if they are confident they can get Butler to re-sign. Zach Collins looks ready to move in the starting line-up at PF and this teams looks very solid both offensively and defensively. Tyson Chandler improves the defense at back-up center at the expense of offense. The Blazers also save $9 million in salary and get a TPE for later use.

Phoenix trades:

Josh Jackson
Tyson Chandler

Phoenix receives:

Markelle Fultz
Tyus Jones
Jarred Bayless

The Suns move a superfluous wing in Jackson for a trio of guards. If Fultz pans out at PG alongside Booker they look very solid.They are in no rush to win and can give Fultz the playing time and role he needs to develop.

Philadelphia trades:

Markelle Fultz
Robert Covington
Jarred Bayless

Philadelphia receives:

CJ McCollum
Al Farouq Aminu

CJ McCollum is what they need Fultz to be. An awesome off ball shooter who and also create instant offense and also some for others. Aminu and Covington are similar players although Aminu has the risk of an ending contract.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
DaleyBlind
Veteran
And1: 1,832

Re: MSP - PDX - PHL - PHX 

Post#2 » by DaleyBlind » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:44 pm

Not the biggest Josh Jackson fan, but no I’m not trading him for Fultz.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,089

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:49 pm

This is way too good for Portland. You're not going to dump Leonard's contract and acquire Butler for only McCollum. If Philly was willing to part with Fultz and Convington, they'd just cut the other two teams out and take Butler.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
deadfeather
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#4 » by deadfeather » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:58 pm

I dont think it's likely Portland would trade McCollum and Aminu for a one year rental of Jimmy Butler even if it gets rid of Leonard. This creates more holes in their big rotation than they can overcome and leaves them high and dry for the foreseeable future. If they were seriously consider this they may as well choose to just blow up the roster all together.
Village Idiot
General Manager

Post#5 » by Village Idiot » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:59 pm

jbk1234 wrote:This is way too good for Portland. You're not going to dump Leonard's contract and acquire Butler for only McCollum. If Philly was willing to part with Fultz and Convington, they'd just cut the other two teams out and take Butler.
You seem to be really underrating Aminu. He and Covington are really similar players and the same age.
Village Idiot
General Manager

Post#6 » by Village Idiot » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:01 pm

deadfeather wrote:I dont think it's likely Portland would trade McCollum and Aminu for a one year rental of Jimmy Butler even if it gets rid of Leonard. This creates more holes in their big rotation than they can overcome and leaves them high and dry for the foreseeable future. If they were seriously consider this they may as well choose to just blow up the roster all together.
You're assuming Butler bolts. I am assuming he stays. Obviously Portland would never make this trade if they didn't expect Butler to have a high probability of staying and staying healthy.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#7 » by Soulyss » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:02 pm

I don't like any deal where Portland gives up CJ for Butler... I don't see Bulter re-signing.. losing Aminu to do it is even worse.
Village Idiot
General Manager

Post#8 » by Village Idiot » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:03 pm

DaleyBlind wrote:Not the biggest Josh Jackson fan, but no I’m not trading him for Fultz.
That surprises me. Both have fallen short of expectations but Fultz fills a very clear need while Jackson's role is uncertain. Care to elaborate?
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#9 » by BullyKing » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:47 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:This is way too good for Portland. You're not going to dump Leonard's contract and acquire Butler for only McCollum. If Philly was willing to part with Fultz and Convington, they'd just cut the other two teams out and take Butler.
You seem to be really underrating Aminu. He and Covington are really similar players and the same age.

I don't really agree with this but, even if I did, one is an expiring and the other is locked into a bargain contract. And frankly, if you believe they're more or less equal, you could just keep Covington out of it and just send Aminu straight from Portland to Minnesota.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,638

Post#10 » by Qwigglez » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:50 pm

If I'm in the Suns I'd just cut out Philly and Portland and get Butler myself. Not a fan of Fultz and I'd rather keep JJ over him.
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,029

Post#11 » by GutUNC » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:11 am

Not of any interest for the Sixers. Among other things, this decimates their perimeter defense and keeps them out of max FA sweepstakes.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
GDTBATH
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Post#12 » by cool93 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:58 am

No interest in CJ at all. Good player, but trash defensively and kills our cap space for summer.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,705

Post#13 » by the_process » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:02 pm

If the Sixers were willing to deal Fultz and Covington and max cap space... they'll just take Butler for themselves.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#14 » by shrink » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:51 pm

the_process wrote:If the Sixers were willing to deal Fultz and Covington and max cap space... they'll just take Butler for themselves.

Exactly. POR is just stealing value in the trade.

That said, I doubt PHI puts Fultz and Covington in a deal anyway. Maybe Covington plus something else, but probably no offer at all.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,705

Post#15 » by the_process » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:56 pm

shrink wrote:
the_process wrote:If the Sixers were willing to deal Fultz and Covington and max cap space... they'll just take Butler for themselves.

That said, I doubt PHI puts Fultz and Covington in a deal anyway. Maybe Covington plus something else, but probably no offer at all.

Agreed. Word on this side says the Sixers have no interest in Butler. Seems to me Thibs wins out and you guys will just play out the year and see what happens?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#16 » by shrink » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:22 pm

the_process wrote:
shrink wrote:

Agreed. Word on this side says the Sixers have no interest in Butler. Seems to me Thibs wins out and you guys will just play out the year and see what happens?

In MIN, we hear that owner Glen Taylor met with Jimmy, and they agreed that he would keep trying to find a trade for him, and that Jimmy would play his best during games, and show his trade value.

Personally, I could have seen PHI making an offer. Unlike McCollum, Jimmy improves their defense, and gives them a shot at knocking down BOS or TOR. I think Jimmy really wants that fifth year, so he’d be very likely to stay, and he’s better than whoever they can expect to get with cap space. However, if it’s true that Thibs asked for Ben Simmons (and I have reason to doubt it), then I don’t blame PHI for losing Thibs number.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,029

Post#17 » by GutUNC » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:49 am

shrink wrote:
the_process wrote:
shrink wrote:Exactly. POR is just stealing value in the trade.

In MIN, we hear that owner Glen Taylor met with Jimmy, and they agreed that he would keep trying to find a trade for him, and that Jimmy would play his best during games, and show his trade value.

Personally, I could have seen PHI making an offer. Unlike McCollum, Jimmy improves their defense, and gives them a shot at knocking down BOS or TOR. I think Jimmy really wants that fifth year, so he’d be very likely to stay, and he’s better than whoever they can expect to get with cap space. However, if it’s true that Thibs asked for Ben Simmons (and I have reason to doubt it), then I don’t blame PHI for losing Thibs number.

Maybe - but that offer would only be for a rental (imo) Jimmy Butler, not an offer befitting a franchise building block. I'd have major questions about his willingness to do that at the end of the year. His personality next to Embiid......yeesh.
GDTBATH
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,428

Post#18 » by Myth » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:45 am

Village Idiot wrote:
Portland does this if they are confident they can get Butler to re-sign.

This is key to me.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#19 » by Soulyss » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:47 pm

Myth wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:

This is key to me.

This is also highly improbable.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,428

Post#20 » by Myth » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:44 pm

Soulyss wrote:
Myth wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:

This is key to me.

This is also highly improbable.

Agreed. And without reason to believe that he is expected to re-sign, I would rather not make the trade.

Return to Trades and Transactions