T&T board top 25 trade value - Vote for #16

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Re: T&T board top 25 trade value - Vote for #16 

Post#21 » by Patsfan1081 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 2:11 pm

How are Siakam, Richardson, and Fox on here but Porzingis, George, Booker, etc...aren't? We overate small sample sizes way too much around here. Even with his injury I can't see GM's passing on trading for him for some of these names, it's a star driven league.
Aliasego
Sophomore
And1: 111

Post#22 » by Aliasego » Fri Dec 7, 2018 3:09 pm

Vote: Mitchell
Nominate: Porzingis
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,190

Post#23 » by skones » Fri Dec 7, 2018 3:14 pm

V: Fox (he's being severely undervalued, he's better than Tatum, he's better than Mitchell)
Nominate: The Finnisher
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#24 » by getrichordie » Fri Dec 7, 2018 3:24 pm

skones wrote:V: Fox (he's being severely undervalued, he's better than Tatum, he's better than Mitchell)

I’m curious as to why you think Fox is better than Tatum.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
[twitter] @thunderdustin
skones
RealGM

Post#25 » by skones » Fri Dec 7, 2018 3:38 pm

getrichordie wrote:
skones wrote:V: Fox (he's being severely undervalued, he's better than Tatum, he's better than Mitchell)

I don't see this budding superstar many seem to see in Tatum. I think he's a good player certainly, particularly for how old he is, but I don't see him as a guy who will lift the play of others like Fox has done this season. It's early, and I was NOT a Fox guy when he was drafted, but I think you're looking at a guy with a shot at super stardom in him. His growth as it pertains to making those around him better has been absolutely astonishing. Some of the passes and reads he's making given his relative shortcomings in that area last season are jaw drop worthy and ultimately, and I'm a sucker for guys who can pass, what separates them for me.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#26 » by getrichordie » Fri Dec 7, 2018 4:09 pm

skones wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

I don't see this budding superstar many seem to see in Tatum. I think he's a good player certainly, particularly for how old he is, but I don't see him as a guy who will lift the play of others like Fox has done this season. It's early, and I was NOT a Fox guy when he was drafted, but I think you're looking at a guy with a shot at super stardom in him. His growth as it pertains to making those around him better has been absolutely astonishing. Some of the passes and reads he's making given his relative shortcomings in that area last season are jaw drop worthy and ultimately, and I'm a sucker for guys who can pass, what separates them for me.

I think context is everything hear. Fox is in the perfect position. Not a lot of guards like Fox get afforded the opportunity to play with good shooters on the wings when they first step in to the league. Credit to Sacramento there. He fits in well. But is Fox a guy that can take you off the dribble and get to the rim and draw fouls/make shots? Idk. Haven’t watched enough of Fox to make that judgement.

Tatum is overshadowed by Kyrie and Hayward, but if he was on a team like Atlanta, everyone would be talking about how he’s the next Paul Pierce with shades of Kobe. He’s really good.

He shot a 58 TS% in the playoffs (19 game sample size) on a ~23.3 USG% and had a VORP of 0.6 as a rookie. That’s really, really good.

For comparison, Fox has been really good this season as well and has a VORP of 0.4. Tatum, even with the Celtics struggles, has a VORP of 0.6.

I trust context and I trust VORP so I don’t know how much someone can talk me into taking Fox over Tatum.

I think Tatum has been slept on because of the aforementioned reasons (Kyrie/Hayward; Celtics early struggles).

[twitter] @thunderdustin
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#27 » by Woody Allen » Fri Dec 7, 2018 4:14 pm

Fox might be better than Mitchell and honestly that's not a big achievement. But the Tatum comparison is ridiculous.
skones
RealGM

Post#28 » by skones » Fri Dec 7, 2018 4:17 pm

getrichordie wrote:
I think context is everything hear. Fox is in the perfect position. Not a lot of guards like Fox get afforded the opportunity to play with good shooters on the wings when they first step in to the league. Credit to Sacramento there. He fits in well. But is Fox a guy that can take you off the dribble and get to the rim and draw fouls/make shots? Idk. Haven’t watched enough of Fox to make that judgement.

Tatum is overshadowed by Kyrie and Hayward, but if he was on a team like Atlanta, everyone would be talking about how he’s the next Paul Pierce with shades of Kobe. He’s really good.

He shot a 58 TS% in the playoffs (19 game sample size) on a ~23.3 USG% and had a VORP of 0.6 as a rookie. That’s really, really good.

For comparison, Fox has been really good this season as well and has a VORP of 0.4. Tatum, even with the Celtics struggles, has a VORP of 0.6.

I trust context and I trust VORP so I don’t know how much someone can talk me into taking Fox over Tatum.

I think Tatum has been slept on because of the aforementioned reasons (Kyrie/Hayward; Celtics early struggles).

I mean, he's averaging nearly 6 FTA per contest. I think it's safe to say, yes, he can draw fouls and make shots. I don't think you need to watch in order to even make that judgement. The numbers are proof positive.

As for Tatum's performance in the playoffs, sure, he was great, but I think far too much stock in his overall outlook is placed in that sample. If you put him in a different situation, the Hawks as you mentioned, I think his efficiency takes a DRASTIC hit, the attention paid to Kyrie and others plays both ways.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#29 » by getrichordie » Fri Dec 7, 2018 9:43 pm

skones wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

I mean, he's averaging nearly 6 FTA per contest. I think it's safe to say, yes, he can draw fouls and make shots. I don't think you need to watch in order to even make that judgement. The numbers are proof positive.

As for Tatum's performance in the playoffs, sure, he was great, but I think far too much stock in his overall outlook is placed in that sample. If you put him in a different situation, the Hawks as you mentioned, I think his efficiency takes a DRASTIC hit, the attention paid to Kyrie and others plays both ways.

Same could be said for Fox who spends most of his time on the court with Bjelica and Hield.

[twitter] @thunderdustin
skones
RealGM

Post#30 » by skones » Fri Dec 7, 2018 9:45 pm

getrichordie wrote:

Same could be said for Fox who spends most of his time on the court with Bjelica and Hield.

Let's not act like Bjelica and Hield are comparable.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#31 » by getrichordie » Fri Dec 7, 2018 9:57 pm

skones wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

On the offensive side, it’s close.

Hield is a career 41.3% from 3 (41.8% this year). Bjelica is shooting 49.3% from 3 this year. So in terms of spacing, you could easily make an argument that Fox has at least the same amount of spacing as Tatum does, if not more.

[twitter] @thunderdustin
skones
RealGM

Post#32 » by skones » Fri Dec 7, 2018 10:02 pm

getrichordie wrote:
skones wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Hield is a career 41.3% from 3 (41.8% this year). Bjelica is shooting 49.3% from 3 this year. So in terms of spacing, you could easily make an argument that Fox has at least the same amount of spacing as Tatum does, if not more.

I think that the idea that two spot up shooters, even good ones, draw the same type of defensive attention is ridiculous. Agree to Disagree.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#33 » by getrichordie » Fri Dec 7, 2018 10:05 pm

skones wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
skones wrote:

I think that the idea that two spot up shooters, even good ones, draw the same type of defensive attention is ridiculous. Agree to Disagree.

Lol. Please enlighten to me as to why they wouldn’t...

[twitter] @thunderdustin

Return to Trades and Transactions