Quick poll: Simmons for Doncic

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

which team would pass on this trade?

Dallas
85%
Philly
15%

Total votes: 140

Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Re: Quick poll: Simmons for Doncic 

Post#61 » by Tomjas » Sun Dec 9, 2018 11:46 pm

Dundalis wrote:
Tomjas wrote:
the_process wrote:Simmons is far and away better than Doncic, come on now people. Did this board suddenly become the GB when I wasn't looking?

And this is coming from a Sixer fan who wants to trade Simmons.

Yep

The hot takes on Simmons are almost as ridiculous as the overrating of Doncic

Luka’s a very talented young player but simply doesn’t impact the game in as many ways and may never do as he is levels below as an athlete, passer, defender, rebounder, etc

Doncic has shown the ability to take over games in crunch time numerous times as a 19 year old and come up with clutch game winning shots. Which is the complete opposite of what Simmons does. Doncic is averaging 4.1 assists as the secondary ball handler, with a heavy scoring load as basically the teams number 1 scoring option for most of the season. If Simmons could actually shoot well he'd average fewer assists, because he wouldn't be passing the ball so often when he's left wide open because he can't shoot. If he was forced to be his teams number one scoring option, his efficiency would also go down. In fact numerous times I've seen him get so passive he gives the ball up to someone else to score even when he's right near the basket with someone smaller defending him. I think Simmons is a superior pure passer, but I don't think the gap is close to as large as the statistical difference. Doncic will easily be a 6-7 assist guy when he's Simmons age especially if he's made the primary ball handler over DSJ. Same goes for rebounding. Simmons will be the better rebounder, but Doncic averaging 8 boards at Simmons age is likely a reasonable progression, especially if DAJ is no longer on the team.

Simmons is bigger and more athletic, and so will always be a superior defender. I think Doncic will be a superior defender to someone like James Harden though, something approaching slightly above league average, which to me means the difference is not near enough to make up for the difference in scoring skill which is straight up more valuable. You can find lock down complimentary wings far more easily than you can elite wing scorers. Doncic being a top 5 scorer in the NBA on high efficiency in his prime who can win his team games in the clutch by himself is well within the realms of possibility. I'm struggling to see Simmons pass 20ppg any time soon, though I'd love to be wrong because I've been following his career for quite a while.

Simmons only requires a couple of tweaks to average 20 ppg right now (ability to draw fouls and improved fts)

It would also help if he didn't sit during regular blowouts

The only question (and it's a big one) is whether he can develop an average jumper

IF he does that, then he's a perennial MVP candidate as the majority of his game (other than FTs) is already elite

Luka is obviously a wonderful talent with a more rounded game than Simmons atm but I do question his upside

To me, he's more All Star than MVP level (which is obviously still great)

Anyway, for mine, a better comparison is between Luka & Tatum as they are closer in age & style of game
JAYZGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,528

Post#62 » by JAYZGOAT » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:36 am

Simmons... Easy for me
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,605

Post#63 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:57 am

I think Doncic is easier to build around and I think he fits perfectly with Philly's roster. So if a team were to say no, I think it would be Dallas.

With that said, just because Doncic is the better shooter doesn't make him there better overall player. Simmons still is the better passer, rebounder and defender. Now I do like Doncic more, but man some takes on Doncic are pretty extreme.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#64 » by Pinkyring » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:27 pm

Idk how anyone can pick a side with certainty, im a mavs fan and id take either, both rosters would need some tweaks to make it work perfectly but both rosters need tweaks now to accommodate the guys they already have. Both guys have glaring holes that need to be cleaned up to maximize their talent so it really comes down to what u believe is more likely to happen, simmons to develop a reliable jumper or luka to transform his body/conditioning and improve as a defender and finisher. It'd seem luka needs more work but simmons weakness seems tougher to improve. Especially since he hasnt and this is year 3 for him
JAYZGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,528

Post#65 » by JAYZGOAT » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:49 pm

Why Simmons though? They are nothing alike. Is every good young player going to be compared to Simmons just to prove some point?

Return to Trades and Transactions