Sixers go all in (Fultz not included)

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,142

Sixers go all in (Fultz not included) 

Post#1 » by Dat2U » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:46 pm

Wizards trade:

F Otto Porter Jr
G/F Tomas Satoransky

Philly acquires two high IQ players to add to their rotation. Otto slides in at PF as the perfect complement b/w Butler & Embiid. Sato can play the 1, 2 or 3 and Philly keeps his rights as a RFA.

76ers trade:

G Zhaire Smith
F Jonah Bolden
F Wilson Chandler
C Mike Muscala
F Furkan Korkmaz

2019 Sacramento 1st pick - only conveys if pick is #1 pick in draft. If pick does not convey, Wizards receive 2019 & 2021 2nd round picks.
2021 Miami 1st round pick - unprotected

Wizards initiates the rebuild process by literally buying a lottery ticket and getting the Miami pick. They take a flier on both Smith & Bolden and shave another $5 million + off their tax bill putting them within $1 million or so of getting under.
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Re: Sixers go all in (Fultz not included) 

Post#2 » by dorkestra » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:49 pm

I love the title. Fultz not included reminds me that at the end of every toy commercial in the 90s, youd have a guy whispering "batteries not included"
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#3 » by dorkestra » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:52 pm

As for the trade itself, Otto has a trade kicker so he would be paid 30 million a year. To me that's not the right financial decision making him net negative on that deal. At which point the notion of adding valuable 1st round picks further cements this as a no from Philly

With all that said, Porter would fit in perfectly on the court
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
Jojothewhale
Junior
And1: 164

Post#4 » by Jojothewhale » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:54 pm

Forgetting value, do you really think the idea of cashing in almost every trade chip they have and offseason cap space for Porter and Satoransky is worth putting the #1 pick on the table AND not protecting the Miami pick?
Sixercise
Sixth Man
And1: 480

Post#5 » by Sixercise » Sat Dec 8, 2018 6:23 pm

Awful value - it guts Philly of what little forward depth they currently have, plus give up two 1sts?? Easy pass.
rilamann wrote:Leave Simmons alone, your back would be sore too if you didn't have a spine.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,545

Post#6 » by youngcrev » Sat Dec 8, 2018 6:26 pm

Jeez... If you think Porter is worth that, no wonder you hate every trade people post involving the Wizards.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#7 » by BullyKing » Sat Dec 8, 2018 6:28 pm

Like others have said, if you're sending back no long term salary at all, I think Porter's value on that contract is much closer to neutral than 2 1sts. But in either case, this destroys all of Philly's already lackluster depth and leaves them with very few avenues for improving that going forward.

Washington's best bet to maximize the return on Porter is to trade him to a team that is sending back a bad player making about 10 million a year for a couple years and hope they then view Porter as being appropriately paid at 15-20 million and pay accordingly.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,446

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Dec 8, 2018 6:30 pm

yeah the value is considerably off here. Porter doesn't have this kind of value. Also pretty much forces the Sixers to re-sign Butler which hurts their negotiating position.

Agree the fit of Porter on the court is good. But the price is not close.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#9 » by Dat2U » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:12 pm

dorkestra wrote:As for the trade itself, Otto has a trade kicker so he would be paid 30 million a year. To me that's not the right financial decision making him net negative on that deal. At which point the notion of adding valuable 1st round picks further cements this as a no from Philly

This is incorrect. Otto's trade kicker is voided because he already makes the max salary.

The idea that you can get a very good starting forward along with a very good 6th man type on Satoransky for literally nothing is silly.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#10 » by Dat2U » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:13 pm

BullyKing wrote:Like others have said, if you're sending back no long term salary at all, I think Porter's value on that contract is much closer to neutral than 2 1sts. But in either case, this destroys all of Philly's already lackluster depth and leaves them with very few avenues for improving that going forward.

Washington's best bet to maximize the return on Porter is to trade him to a team that is sending back a bad player making about 10 million a year for a couple years and hope they then view Porter as being appropriately paid at 15-20 million and pay accordingly.

What depth are you talking about? Smith & Bolden aren't even playing!

Its Muscala, Chandler & Korkmaz for Porter & Sato. Seems like a MASSIVE upgrade to me.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#11 » by Dat2U » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:15 pm

youngcrev wrote:Jeez... If you think Porter is worth that, no wonder you hate every trade people post involving the Wizards.

I'm sorry if you thought he was available for expirings. Who ever told you that lied and mislead you.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,507

Post#12 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:18 pm

Swap Porter with Wall or Beal and its closer. Probably still a overpay for Wall.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#13 » by Dat2U » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:18 pm

Jojothewhale wrote:Forgetting value, do you really think the idea of cashing in almost every trade chip they have and offseason cap space for Porter and Satoransky is worth putting the #1 pick on the table AND not protecting the Miami pick?

Um, the Miami is only REAL value in this deal. The SAC pick is literally a crap shot otherwise it's two 2nds. Smith hasn't even played this year and Bolden is only included to make the salaries work.

Where is all this amazing value Philly is giving up?
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#14 » by Dat2U » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:20 pm

Wasabi_Johnson wrote:Swap Porter with Wall or Beal and its closer. Probably still a overpay for Wall.

Philly doesnt have the assets to get Beal. Wall probably is not an option Philly would pursue due to fit.

I'm still struggling to see an overpay. One legit pick. A long shot at another one and a bunch of expirings and minor assets. Philly even gets to keep Fultz.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,507

Post#15 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:25 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Wasabi_Johnson wrote:Swap Porter with Wall or Beal and its closer. Probably still a overpay for Wall.

Philly doesnt have the assets to get Beal. Wall probably is not an option Philly would pursue due to fit.

I'm still struggling to see an overpay. One legit pick. A long shot at another one and a bunch of expirings and minor assets. Philly even gets to keep Fultz.

Anybody else giving up two potential lottery picks and a current 16th pick for Wall? I don't see it.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#16 » by pelifan » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:25 pm

I would call this trade unreasonable.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,072

Post#17 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:28 pm

Dat2U wrote:
BullyKing wrote:Like others have said, if you're sending back no long term salary at all, I think Porter's value on that contract is much closer to neutral than 2 1sts. But in either case, this destroys all of Philly's already lackluster depth and leaves them with very few avenues for improving that going forward.

Its Muscala, Chandler & Korkmaz for Porter & Sato. Seems like a MASSIVE upgrade to me.

You realize that Zhaire isn't playing because of injury, right?
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#18 » by Dat2U » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:31 pm

Wasabi_Johnson wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

Anybody else giving up two potential lottery picks and a current 16th pick for Wall? I don't see it.

1. Were talking about Porter, not Wall, stay on subject, lol.

2. Smith doesnt have the current value of the 16th pick. For whatever legitimate reason he hasn't played, his value doesn't stand still in perpetuity until he steps foot on the court again. So his value has likely taken a slight hit.

3. The Wizards are NOT getting two lottery picks. They are getting one pick 3 YEARS from now and they have likely a 1-5% shot at the SAC pick which most likely doesnt end up as a #1 pick and thusly converts to two future 2nds. So it's likely the Miami pick & (2) 2nds that conveys to Washington.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#19 » by Dat2U » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:33 pm

SuperDario wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

You realize that Zhaire isn't playing because of injury, right?

You realize the post was referring to Philly's CURRENT depth???
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,161

Post#20 » by tiderulz » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:33 pm

dorkestra wrote:As for the trade itself, Otto has a trade kicker so he would be paid 30 million a year. To me that's not the right financial decision making him net negative on that deal. At which point the notion of adding valuable 1st round picks further cements this as a no from Philly

Porter's trade kicker would be paid by Washington. so not sure how that would affect perception

Return to Trades and Transactions