Fixing Hornets center problem with SAS/HOU/MIA

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Teal25
Pro Prospect
And1: 578

Fixing Hornets center problem with SAS/HOU/MIA 

Post#1 » by Teal25 » Sun Dec 9, 2018 1:14 pm

1st Trade
Hornets Trade Biyombo and their first lottery protected
Receives Pau Gasol and Toronto’s 1st from Spurs

2nd Trade 3 team trade
Hornets Trade Cody Zeller/Marvin Williams/2020 Cleveland 2nd
Receives Whiteside

Rockets trade 2019 1st/Chriss/Knight/2022 and 2023 Rockets 2nd
Receives Marvin Williams/Wayne Ellington

Miami Trades Whiteside/Ellington
Receives Zeller/Knight/2019 Rockets 1st/2020 Cavs 2nd/2022 2nd/2023 2nd

Hornets save 12.7 million in salary for next season and get an upgrade at center Gasol seems to be out for awhile and I doubt he’ll play in Charlotte. Also unclog our mediocre and overpaid center position.

Rockets upgrade their roster

Heat move on from Whiteside and get somebody who will accept that Bam is the future. Also get some valuable picks
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,197

Re: Fixing Hornets center problem with SAS/HOU/MIA 

Post#2 » by BBallFreak » Sun Dec 9, 2018 1:42 pm

Pass from this Heat fan. Bunch of useless salary going to Miami. HUGE tank move. Also, it just really doesn't even make sense. Olynyk is more than capable of playing backup center for us. Why wouldn't we want a smaller player to fit our style better? More of a power forward/small forward type?
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,470

Post#3 » by Chinook » Sun Dec 9, 2018 5:25 pm

I've expressed interest in the Gasol/Biyombo part of the deal before, but I don't think it works as structured. Protecting the first like this makes it possible for SA to give up the Toronto pick without getting a pick back. I understand that you'd want to protect against giving up a high-lottery pick just to save some money. Ideally, this would be done during the draft when everyone knew what they were getting. But the CBA prevents that nowadays.

Hard to come up with a solution, except maybe reverse-protecting the pick or just taking out the Toronto pick and making the Charlotte first a 2020 pick instead. I don't think the Spurs would be too interested in having three firsts this year, especially if two of them are in the 20s. I guess that could be an option, though.
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#4 » by puppa bear » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:00 am

BBallFreak wrote:Pass from this Heat fan. Bunch of useless salary going to Miami. HUGE tank move. Also, it just really doesn't even make sense. Olynyk is more than capable of playing backup center for us. Why wouldn't we want a smaller player to fit our style better? More of a power forward/small forward type?

It’s a small sample, but we’re playing better without the distraction. Making Spo have to force feed Bam PT could be a good, or even great, thing.
I agree that a SF/PF would be better for us, but getting these picks could actually help us make a move in the offseason that puts us back in reach of the top.

I honestly don’t think this is a full-on tank move, instead taking reasonable value while Hassan still has some.

I haven’t checked those deals, so I don’t know how long they are - hopefully nothing more than 1 year longer than Whiteside (ie lining up with Dion/JJ).
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,197

Post#5 » by BBallFreak » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:04 am

puppa bear wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:Pass from this Heat fan. Bunch of useless salary going to Miami. HUGE tank move. Also, it just really doesn't even make sense. Olynyk is more than capable of playing backup center for us. Why wouldn't we want a smaller player to fit our style better? More of a power forward/small forward type?

It’s a small sample, but we’re playing better without the distraction. Making Spo have to force feed Bam PT could be a good, or even great, thing.
I agree that a SF/PF would be better for us, but getting these picks could actually help us make a move in the offseason that puts us back in reach of the top.

I honestly don’t think this is a full-on tank move, instead taking reasonable value while Hassan still has some.

I haven’t checked those deals, so I don’t know how long they are - hopefully nothing more than 1 year longer than Whiteside (ie lining up with Dion/JJ).

Knight and Whiteside end the same year. Zeller has an additional year at $15 million when we should be making big moves.

We're sacrificing cap space and talent for some crappy picks.
bigmean
Assistant Coach
And1: 133

Post#6 » by bigmean » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:42 am

My deal is simple

Charlotte gets Steven Adams, Abdul Nader

Okc gets michael kidd Gilchrist, Jeremy lamb frank Kaminsky and 3 second rounders from Charlotte

With options to include atlanta where they would send dedmon to okc for fergurson and three second rounders from charlotte
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,269

Post#7 » by Hoops23 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:45 am

the trade for Miami is like for the sake of dumping Whiteside. I prefer Ellington and Whiteside plus avoiding additional salaries for 2020 cap space than the players incoming unless the player the Heat are getting in the Houston pick is a huge asset, aside from the lux tax cut this trade brings.

But if there's a deal with Houston, I want an Ellington & Waiters for Criss, Knight and a pick

Return to Trades and Transactions