Rockets & Pelicans interested in JR Smith [O’Connor]

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,325

Re: Rockets & Pelicans interested in JR Smith [O’Connor] 

Post#21 » by Dr Aki » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:55 am

getrichordie wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:Any reason the Knicks don't simply ask for JR Smith directly?

Why does Houston and NO get to shave value?

How much value would the Knicks have to send to CLE for taking on Hardaway’s contract?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

For a deal that can take place anytime between now and the off-season (since JR's 3.9 mil guarantee is for the 2019/20 season) and seeing as I rate THJ's contract as neutral or slightly negative, I would give up the Cavs own 2019 SRP back (from the original JR Smith trade in 2015), that will definitely convey this year, and practically as good as a late FRP anyway, and a Knicks SRP.

There's also the option for the Cavs to take a nice look at Mudiay or Vonleh (or whoever) if they think they might salvage a decent young player as well.

If it's in the off-season leading up to free agency, and the Knicks figure out they need the space (i.e. they get a yes from two max guys), then I'd offer up the Knicks 2019 FRP (the FRP's cap hold gets in the way anyway) for the Cavs to take on both THJ and Lee.

I do understand if the Cavs would prefer the sure thing that is a lottery or highly protected FRP from Houston or NO respectively, given there could be a good chance those FRPs convey this upcoming draft. Otherwise, it's a choice between THJ, Brandon Knight or Solomon Hill for your roster spot for the next few years.

I personally would pick THJ over the others though.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#22 » by Stillwater » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:16 am

getrichordie wrote:
mg wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Exactly, and both Houston and NO probably are rumored to want him more so for his on court defense and streaky shooting , which have little to do with his value now.

Most fans wouldn't understand it but actually might be sneaky smart for either one of them to go after JR. He could not only help them a bit now on the court but more importantly they could upgrade him for a more useful player on draft day (THJ?) and also get their draft pick back or another asset/young player(Nkitilina?). I guess those teams could wait for the buyout market and hope someone like Ariza can help but overall not sure there's alot of wing players available at all to help Hou or NOP. Unlike these other teams the Cavs obviously have no postseason aspirations this season so they can just sit back and wait until draft day for the phone to start ringing. No way they take on Knight's contract for SRP/magic beans when worst case scenario they don't pick up JR's option and can just buy out his guarantee next summer.

I’m thinking HOU is going to flip JR for Hardaway this deadline. Why wait until the draft?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

If Houston gave up a lottery protected first Cavs might eat Knight but I think they'd be more likely to just buy out jr than add a deadweight player for a likely meh pick.
At least Delly and Henson are still useful or will be
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 335

Post#23 » by Euphonetiks » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:20 pm

The Pels aren’t giving up a 1st to get rid of $9M in salary next year while taking on an extra $2M this year. That is not 1st round value. JR wouldn’t even last on our roster until the draft as he would be traded for a real wing almost immediately.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,121

Post#24 » by jbk1234 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:38 pm

pelifan wrote:given how easily Milwaukee got off 18 million, Im not giving up a first to dump 10 and get a worse player than what Milwaukee got.

Henson making less than $10M next summer isn't really a bad contract. The Bucks could have likely dumped him for free, or really cheaply, either later this season or next summer on a team that struck out in F.A. Delly's deal is the one that they needed to compensate another team to take.

That said, I might take a bigger swing if I were the Pelicans and see what other than Jrue and AD the Wizards might be interested in as far as Beal or Porter goes.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#25 » by pelifan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:09 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
pelifan wrote:given how easily Milwaukee got off 18 million, Im not giving up a first to dump 10 and get a worse player than what Milwaukee got.

Henson making less than $10M next summer isn't really a bad contract. The Bucks could have likely dumped him for free, or really cheaply, either later this season or next summer on a team that struck out in F.A. Delly's deal is the one that they needed to compensate another team to take.

That said, I might take a bigger swing if I were the Pelicans and see what other than Jrue and AD the Wizards might be interested in as far as Beal or Porter goes.

Disagree on Henson, he's a pretty mediocre backup center in a league where those guys grow on trees.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by jbk1234 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:11 pm

pelifan wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Disagree on Henson, he's a pretty mediocre backup center in a league where those guys grow on trees.

My rather strong preference is that JR takes a buyout before we take back Hill or Knight for a lottery protected 1st anyway. I'd like to have a little cap space to play with next summer.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#27 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:42 pm

If Houston doesn't end up getting Smith (and Brandon Knight doesn't work his way into the rotation) they should consider trading Knight and Nene for Tristan Thompson.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,936

Post#28 » by Effigy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:17 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
pelifan wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

My rather strong preference is that JR takes a buyout before we take back Hill or Knight for a lottery protected 1st anyway. I'd like to have a little cap space to play with next summer.
Why? Nobody's going to sign in Cleveland next year, apart from some idiotic Evan Turner type deal. Much better to collect assets that will help the team in a few years when they are ready to improve.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by jbk1234 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Effigy wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
pelifan wrote:

Why? Nobody's going to sign in Cleveland next year, apart from some idiotic Evan Turner type deal. Much better to collect assets that will help the team in a few years when they are ready to improve.

Because there are too many former lottery picks who are having their options declined. There are young guys like Ferrell and Seth Curry who become available on affordable deals. I'd rather take on two or three of those guys than take on a single player drafted in the 20s and just have dead space.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,758

Post#30 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:39 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Because there are too many former lottery picks who are having their options declined. There are young guys like Ferrell and Seth Curry who become available on affordable deals. I'd rather take on two or three of those guys than take on a single player drafted in the 20s and just have dead space.

Might want to employ Rick Carlisle then. He gets these guys and gets good seasons out of them and then they go elsewhere and meh. I was disappointed Dallas didn't bring both of them back(tho they thought they had a deal with Yogi :D ) especially on the deals they signed. But then Devin Harris and Brunson have been fine in what would have been their rotation spots.

That said I tend to agree with you in theory. I think late 1sts are highly overrated and you can sign cheap FA's who can actually provide you more on the court. Sure sometimes those guys hit and it's great. But once you start eating big money the value disappears really fast.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#31 » by pelifan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:01 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Because there are too many former lottery picks who are having their options declined. There are young guys like Ferrell and Seth Curry who become available on affordable deals. I'd rather take on two or three of those guys than take on a single player drafted in the 20s and just have dead space.

Might want to employ Rick Carlisle then. He gets these guys and gets good seasons out of them and then they go elsewhere and meh. I was disappointed Dallas didn't bring both of them back(tho they thought they had a deal with Yogi :D ) especially on the deals they signed. But then Devin Harris and Brunson have been fine in what would have been their rotation spots.

That said I tend to agree with you in theory. I think late 1sts are highly overrated and you can sign cheap FA's who can actually provide you more on the court. Sure sometimes those guys hit and it's great. But once you start eating big money the value disappears really fast.

But you have those guys under team control for 4 years for cheap Chuck. With a FA you either risk 8-9 mil anually on a players that's equally likely to regress or you get lucky and get value out of a near min contract guy for a year or two and he's gone. Look at the way Denver and Toronto have built entire quality deep talent and benches through the back end of the first and contrast it with New Orleans and Houston who while they have more top end talent than either can't field a deep team because they've been throwing first rounders wildly in deals. Cheap talent is a necessity and unless you are the favorite you can't just reload with ring chasers every year.

Return to Trades and Transactions