Gallo+LAC 1st for cap relief and low salary rookie deal. Show me the offers!

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Gallo+LAC 1st for cap relief and low salary rookie deal. Show me the offers! 

Post#1 » by Mamba4Goat » Sat Feb 9, 2019 7:18 pm

So let's say Gallo maintains being Gallo and the Clips end up somewhere between 10-14. They decide to use that pick and get rid of Gallo. However, that's a bit pricey so why not fill out the roster a little more with a cheap (as expensive as the rookie deal would have been or less) youngster?

So finish this for me. Gallo+1st (10-14)=cap+?

So far my best one is something to the Kings around Giles. Could do something for Atlanta for Prince also? I'm not sure what else would be good.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
SARGO127
General Manager
And1: 3,077

Re: Gallo+LAC 1st for cap relief and low salary rookie deal. Show me the offers! 

Post#2 » by SARGO127 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 7:27 pm

Gallo + 1st for Trier or Dotson if the Knicks strike out.

Knicks fall to 4 and take Reddish, Culver with the Clippers pick

DSJ - Frank
Culver
Reddish
Knox
Mitch

Solid young core.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,246

Re: Gallo+LAC 1st for cap relief and low salary rookie deal. Show me the offers! 

Post#3 » by blind prophet » Sat Feb 9, 2019 7:27 pm

Not going to get Giles for that.

With Barnes likely here next year, probably a bad trade partner.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,172

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 7:44 pm

blind prophet wrote:Not going to get Giles for that.

Yeah, the problem is that younger teams aren't going to part with good prospects for Gallo and a late-lotto first. They might give up cost-controlled sixth men or role players, but if they view the prospect as a potential starter, they're not letting him go for that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#5 » by Vae Victus » Sat Feb 9, 2019 9:55 pm

Actually i can see ATL being interested in Gallo + #10-14 FRP for Taurean Prince if they have no use for their cap space. The following season will see Gallo, Bazemore, and Plumlee fall off the books and then they can be serious players in FA, also without needing to deal with Prince's RFA.

10-14 pick range is pretty much the absolute maximum value that Prince can fetch, he'll be going into his 4th year and need to be paid after that. ATL is still pretty early in their rebuild so no point keeping Prince if he needs to be paid so soon when other core players (Trae, Collins, Huerter) still got 2 or more years to go. Gallo isnt a bad player and can be slotted in at either PF or SF, play him and hope he continues his healthy play and then auction him at the next deadline and hope for more assets ala Tobias Harris (he wont fetch anyhwhere near as much, but maybe get an extra SRP or 2 out of him). Gallo really helps stretch the floor as the Hawks are going hardcore pace and space.

C - Collins, Plumlee
PF- Gallo, Spellman
SF- Bembry
SG- Huerter, Bazemore
PG- Trae

ATL then has
2019 ATL FRP (likely 1-6)
2019 DAL FRP (8-10)
2019 LAC FRP (10-14)
To try to find a star with
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#6 » by loserX » Sat Feb 9, 2019 11:14 pm

Most teams with capspace are going to take their own chances in free agency, and won't consider taking Gallo until after that door closes. At that point the Clips' pick will already have been made and teams will have their own assessment of the player selected.

It could still happen; there are a bunch of capspace teams and some of them may very well prefer to kick their can a year down the road for a productive Gallo and a prospect. (Phoenix, maybe?) It's just a difficult question to answer now.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#7 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Feb 9, 2019 11:45 pm

blind prophet wrote:Not going to get Giles for that.

Second this. We already have 3 wings we really like in Buddy/Bogdan/Barnes, maybe we keep Burks as well. Giles is our only center of the future with Bagley as the 4. We really like what Giles brings to the table, hes in our core 5, maybe 6 now with Barnes.
hege53190
Head Coach
And1: 2,671

Post#8 » by hege53190 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 11:46 pm

Gallo and the first to the Bucks for George Hill and Sterling Brown/Christian Wood

George Hill can be waived by July 2nd for $1 million.

The Bucks get a really good player and insurance in case Middleton demands way to much.
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#9 » by NoZoLakers » Sat Feb 9, 2019 11:49 pm

SnT for Leonard if he intends on signing with lac, lac throws tor a 2nd....tor says no they can kick rocks. leonard can just sign
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#10 » by Vae Victus » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:30 am

loserX wrote:Most teams with capspace are going to take their own chances in free agency, and won't consider taking Gallo until after that door closes. At that point the Clips' pick will already have been made and teams will have their own assessment of the player selected.

It could still happen; there are a bunch of capspace teams and some of them may very well prefer to kick their can a year down the road for a productive Gallo and a prospect. (Phoenix, maybe?) It's just a difficult question to answer now.

1st mover advantage.

1st team to eat Gallo gets a potentially useful expiring player who they can flip at the trade deadline for more assets, or let expire/buyout AND get a nice prospect in the #12-14 range.

Alot of teams know theyre not gonna get a top flight FA, hell even 3rd tier "max FAs" like Harris and Middleton arent gonna hit the market with their current teams likely to reup them since they dont have any other options to add talent.

I'd think the smart GM of a rebuilding squad would jump quick if the Logo ever offered the LAC FRP. Which i dont think the Logo would do. Now if a team is willing to settle for the 2020 PHI protected FRP...
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#11 » by TheNewEra » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:56 am

No way the clippers attach a first to Gallonari. Harris Barnes got dealt and it took no picks and it only took one first rounder to move a inactive dead money Brandon Knight.

2 2nd rounders max but Gallonari is still playing at a high level
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#12 » by TheNewEra » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:57 am

Giving up a first would mean Gallonari has the same value as a two year deal of Brandon Knight and I don’t see that at all
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#13 » by pacers33granger » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:09 am

TheNewEra wrote:Giving up a first would mean Gallonari has the same value as a two year deal of Brandon Knight and I don’t see that at all

No it wouldn't. If you did it at the deadline, sure. But doing it at the draft or in free agency is different. At that point you're asking someone to give up actual cap space they could use. Given the timing, if LAC needs it, the price will be higher than it probably should be.

Edit: Gallo also makes $7 mil more, which is not insignificant. And fair or not, it is unlikely that teams will take his past season as indicative of what they can expect given that it's way above any other season of his career. It will take some convincing to make a team believe he's not going to revert back (see Tyreke Evans as a great example of regression after a hot year).
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Post#14 » by babyjax13 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:16 am

Vae Victus wrote:Actually i can see ATL being interested in Gallo + #10-14 FRP for Taurean Prince if they have no use for their cap space. The following season will see Gallo, Bazemore, and Plumlee fall off the books and then they can be serious players in FA, also without needing to deal with Prince's RFA.

10-14 pick range is pretty much the absolute maximum value that Prince can fetch, he'll be going into his 4th year and need to be paid after that. ATL is still pretty early in their rebuild so no point keeping Prince if he needs to be paid so soon when other core players (Trae, Collins, Huerter) still got 2 or more years to go. Gallo isnt a bad player and can be slotted in at either PF or SF, play him and hope he continues his healthy play and then auction him at the next deadline and hope for more assets ala Tobias Harris (he wont fetch anyhwhere near as much, but maybe get an extra SRP or 2 out of him). Gallo really helps stretch the floor as the Hawks are going hardcore pace and space.

C - Collins, Plumlee
PF- Gallo, Spellman
SF- Bembry
SG- Huerter, Bazemore
PG- Trae

ATL then has
2019 ATL FRP (likely 1-6)
2019 DAL FRP (8-10)
2019 LAC FRP (10-14)
To try to find a star with

I think this is a fantastic idea, and later in the season if Gallo is healthy a competitive team will be interested. I think LAC shot themselves in the foot by not trading him now, because it's going to be harder to move him *before* free agency for cap space.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#15 » by Zion Wembanyama » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:22 am

To CHA for Marvin Williams and Frank Kaminsky (accepts QO.)

Kemba / Graham
Monk / Bacon
Batum / MKG
Gallo / Bridges
Zeller / Willy
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#16 » by moss_is_1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:48 am

Super Powered wrote:To CHA for Marvin Williams and Frank Kaminsky (accepts QO.)

Kemba / Graham
Monk / Bacon
Batum / MKG
Gallo / Bridges
Zeller / Willy

They need capspace, not just expiring deals.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,971

Post#17 » by Domejandro » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:55 am

It sucks that Minnesota is effectively hard-capped, or I would consider Dario Šarić in that sort of transaction.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#18 » by VCfor3 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:56 am

TheNewEra wrote:Giving up a first would mean Gallonari has the same value as a two year deal of Brandon Knight and I don’t see that at all

The challenge was to also get a rookie sent back to LAC thus helping the value. Otherwise yes you'd be right.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#19 » by jakecronus8 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:12 pm

hege53190 wrote:Gallo and the first to the Bucks for George Hill and Sterling Brown/Christian Wood

The Bucks get a really good player and insurance in case Middleton demands way to much.

Love it.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Post#20 » by babyjax13 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:24 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
hege53190 wrote:Gallo and the first to the Bucks for George Hill and Sterling Brown/Christian Wood

Love it.

Doesn't work, Hill will only count for $1 million in that case. Ung. contracts during the interim trade period count for the lower of their guaranteed prior and next year salaries. Some contracts are grandfathered in, but I believe the last of those is JR Smith. Which, what about Gallo and a 1st for JR Smith and Ante Zizic?

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Trades and Transactions